• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 Demo Impressions

Alpende

Played 3 games or so and it felt like it minimally changed from last year. I don't play FUT and I doubt they're gonna improve career mode. I think this is gonna be the first time I'm going to skip FIFA.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I feel it is downright amazing. I really don't understand the complaints.

Everything is so vibrant and crisp.

What TV you got, because my LG TV does this in HDR game mode (Its nice in standard)

21744408_677862942410127_838337395_n.jpg

21729272_677862955743459_1036383745_n.jpg

MaLDo

The 60fps cap option in the menu has a built in lock to 30fps for menus / replays etc also dx12 seems to have the lock aswell regardless for some reason, if you want 60fps at all times follow these steps

* Use Direct X 11
* Tick unlimited fps in the luancher
* In the nvidia control panel force vsync on for the fifa 18 demo

After that it should run at 60fps at all times or whatever refreshrate you monitor is :)

wow, you're right. Setting renderer in auto forced dx12 and has a different behaviour about the unlimited framerate. Thank you!!!! Even the framepacing is better in dx11.

fifa18_demo2017-09-13h3j8p.png

fifa18_demo2017-09-13lnjaj.png

fifa18_demo2017-09-13mdj4k.png

fifa18_demo2017-09-13v3j0a.png

fifa18_demo2017-09-13vjj0v.png

fifa18_demo2017-09-13vqr22.png

Rellik

I like how the demo tells me I'm locked out of all online features because of EA's broken 2FA that no one at Origin support can fix for me.

First time seeing a Fifa game where I've been impressed with the graphics. Had fun playing it too. Too bad I'm not that invested in the sport yet.

dragn

needs more light at night time, everyone should play a match at that one stadium with king in the name, looks way better with sunlight

Lashley

needs more light at night time, everyone should play a match at that one stadium with king in the name, looks way better with sunlight

I like there and the stub hub

I used to make the King Fahd my main stadium when I was a lower team haha

Moozo

Why are the player faces so much worse than last year? Used to look almost photorealistic.

In fact graphically it looks worse all round

Lashley

Ah DX12 enables HDR on PC which looks grey as fuck even in standard:/ it at least looks alright in HDR standard on ps4 pro

sobaka770

Banned
Did EA screw up their light sources in HDR? It looks... Off... Some scenes look really great while others are dull or just unrealistic. The flags on tribunes and the shoes are way too shiny while the substitute panel numbers don't emit light at all.

Lashley

Did EA screw up their light sources in HDR? It looks... Off... Some scenes look really great while others are dull or just unrealistic. The flags on tribunes and the shoes are way too shiny while the substitute panel numbers don't emit light at all.

yep, its awful

hopefully fixed for release

Lashley

I am using a ks8000 with dynamic contrast on low. I will say day time looks better then night time. I will check to see how it looks with her off.

Thanks, HDR standard is fine, colors are nice and it looks natural

but game mode is so dim

What TV you got, because my LG TV does this in HDR game mode (Its nice in standard)

21744408_677862942410127_838337395_n.jpg

21729272_677862955743459_1036383745_n.jpg

Ok so looks like you were right. I played on dusk in another stadium and everything looked gorgeous. All the other stadiums looks washed out in comparison. Can you check how dusk looks on your set?

Lashley

Ok so looks like you were right. I played on dusk in another stadium and everything looked gorgeous. All the other stadiums looks washed out in comparison. Can you check how dusk looks on your set?
What stadium has dusk? I'll do it tomorrow and post a pic :)

From someone who played a ton of 17, I think the game feels a lot different in a good way. I play on full manual (and highly recommend it) and the range of weight in passing is much greater, speed differential between players is better, and dribbling is better as a range as well. With some players I really have to contemplate each touch of the ball, and others I can have no fear and experiment.

Also pretty impressed witht he upgrade in visual overall since last year, but absolutely hate these filters they're using to differentiate regions. They look awful and are hard on the eyes. Just a dumbass artistic decision.

Night lighting looks too dark from gameplay view but fine if you go into replay (where it looks realistic). I wonder if this is some sort of LoD scaling issue.

El_Cinefilo

I think it's called stubhub

I have the same problem with the HDR. I just tried the Stubhub stadium for the first time and it looks way better than the others. The Bernabéu is OK but a little dark and La Bombonera looks almost Sepia it's so washed out.

Edit:King Fahd looks terrible like La Bombonera too

I have the same problem with the HDR. I just tried the Stubhub stadium for the first time and it looks way better than the others. The Bernabéu is OK but a little dark and La Bombonera looks almost Sepia it's so washed out.

Edit:King Fahd looks terrible like La Bombonera too

Hopefully it's not an artistic choice by EA.

Oh, I used that before!

It looked fantastic, I'll take pics tomorrow.

The phone brightens it up, the HDR pic is grey and more or less devoid of color

It should look realistic and have color, but instead it has neither

Yea damn if I Buy fifa I hope I don't have to play every game on dusk. Damnit EA.

sobaka770

Banned
Dusk is the best stadium by far in HDR. Looks bright, colorful and better than SDR. Other stadiums certainly have issues.

I also advise people with HDR sets to go to video calibration and lower the HDR slider, mine is at 28 and the two squares are still equally bright. I think it helps with overall image ever so slightly.

KdotIX

Am I right in thinking that this year's entry is just aesthetic improvements and a new story mode? Because having played the demo, as far as I can tell, there is nothing different about the gameplay. I also cannot notice any of the new features which are advertised throughout the demo. Is it just me?

I do like the in between stats analysis though.

MarveI

Bought every single fifa since 08. I am done with this series. It was fun while it lasted but FIFA is probably the most dangerous console game to date. It's not only very addicting but harmful for the kids, they become so obsessed with fifa points and packs it's really sad to see the affect it has. Not just the financial side, gambling side, but ultimate team has also created a very toxic community and it causes way more stress and rage than fun.

Charles

I played vs Real on Legendary and was 2-0 up halfway through the first half. Seems unrealistic.

Other than that, there just isn't enough of a difference between this and last year's version, plus I don't want to end up playing online against people who know the scoring sweet spots and end up breaking my controller in frustration... again.

Passing.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There are actual quite a lot of subtle differences from FIFA 17 in terms of gameplay. At least when playing with everything manual. Player turn differently which makes it possible to easy dribble sometimes even without skill moves, there's no input lag, the passes feel more in line with the input in terms of power and crosses are also different although I can grasp yet why or how, but I definitely cross better now. Also the headers and fighting for a header are slightly different now, feels more responsive.

And I don't know if it's placebo but I felt like the difference between the speed stats of the players really matter in the demo.

MisterR

I bounced back and forth last night between this and the PES demo, and in my mind PES is miles better gameplay wise. The game is just so much more dynamic. FIFA just feels so laggy, although I do think the delay is somewhat better. In PES, the build up feels like it matters so much more. You can actually tell when you put a high quality sub in, and it can totally change the flow of the game with fresh legs. It just feels way better to me. I loved the Journey last year and I'd like to play season 2, but I'm going PES and probably rent FIFA and finish the Journey 2.

Rodelero

There are actual quite a lot of subtle differences from FIFA 17 in terms of gameplay. At least when playing with everything manual. Player turn differently which makes it possible to easy dribble sometimes even without skill moves, there's no input lag, the passes feel more in line with the input in terms of power and crosses are also different although I can grasp yet why or how, but I definitely cross better now. Also the headers and fighting for a header are slightly different now, feels more responsive.

And I don't know if it's placebo but I felt like the difference between the speed stats of the players really matter in the demo.

Subtle differences pretty much sums the game up, but you're certainly right about the more noticeable importance of speed. I'm a little worried at how this will play out in competitive/online matches to be honest, as it seems very easy to utilise fast attackers, a reversion towards how FIFA used to be.

Remember, this is HDR standard not HDR game mode, because game mode is way too dark on my LG TV :/

Looks alright tbf although the phone makes the image brighter than it truly is

EDIT:

HDR Game mode, again remember the phone makes it brighter than it is

From what I can see my game mode looks like what is standard on your LG.

Aye the game mode is really dim on my TV in HDR :(

Most likely a stupid question but does your tv model support HDR in game mode?

Also does it automatically adjust contrast and backlight setting when her is on in game mode?

I know I have to do it manually on my ks8000 when in game mode.

Top Bottom