• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 Demo Impressions

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Please clairfy this (the bold particularly) within the context of Shopto (the most competent UK games distributor) being shite.

I look forward to your response.

Funny how no other store is doing that? So yes, the problem is Shopto and yes they are shite.

You adding " (the most competent UK games distributor) " doesn't make them so

Lashley

I do not think they could lie about something like that.

They probably aren't, it's just weird no other retailer is saying this

I've got mine from Very because it was cheaper than Amazon and they've literally emailed me each week to let me know I'll have it by the 26th

Mate has his preordered at Simply Games and there's been no delay email either

ALSO EA Access and Origin Access is out, play it for 10 hours, so they aren't doing a good job of hiding.

Lashley

Players feel like they move differently in the full game?

I like the daily objectives and squad battles in FUT. Will definitely make me play more. Shame you're limited to 4 matches a day on SB.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I feel like there is even more difference between individual players than in the demo. Like how Varane is faster and can catch up with Griezmann and Ramos is more aggressive (the standing tackle really pushed away the attacker a couple of meters), Carrasco is much faster than Griezmann, but Griezmann has better touches.

In general the first touches are so good this year and pretty personalised or different based on the situation.

And am I dreaming or the defenders are better compared to the demo?

Lashley

The AI feel easier than in the demo, I had a hard time on professional in the demo, winning easily on professional in the full game

Zasa

I'm loving the defending this year, seeing as the AI won't defend for you as well as last year. Actually have to time your tackles well, & get your positioning correct all the time. There'll be definitely be a bigger skill-gap online defensively. Think people who press constantly will have to adapt to this even moreso,

Great to see crossing & heading is back, & as accurate as past FIFA's. Could definitely tell players are making better runs into the box compared to last year.

Overall, I'm enjoying this more than last year. Though it seems like long shots are a bit too good right now.

Lashley

I'm loving the defending this year, seeing as the AI won't defend for you as well as last year. Actually have to time your tackles well, & get your positioning correct all the time. There'll be definitely be a bigger skill-gap online defensively. Think people who press constantly will have to adapt to this even moreso,

Great to see crossing & heading is back, & as accurate as past FIFA's. Could definitely tell players are making better runs into the box compared to last year.

Overall, I'm enjoying this more than last year. Though it seems like long shots are a bit too good right now.

They'll be nerfed in the first week when the FUT players whine, probably the same with crossing, thats usually nerfed quite quickly.

Natels

Good, about time we see the scores go down for the same shit year after year. Pes deswrves all the high scores it gets.

Btw, been a fifa guy since 08

Me too. Bought every FIFA until 15, now I'm just done with it. Every year the game feels heavier and I have no fun playing it

I liked PES though, but probably won't buy it

Zasa

They'll be nerfed in the first week when the FUT players whine, probably the same with crossing, thats usually nerfed quite quickly.
Hopefully that won't happen. Crossing feels fine so far, & it'll make players like Zlatan, Llorente, etc more viable. Helps that not all players can hold up the ball as easily anymore.

But yeah, long shots shouldn't be this easy imo

I...might end up buying both the Switch and PC version of FIFA this year. I wasn't going to bother with the PC version....Damnit, why couldn't EA release a Switch demo?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I downloaded the PC version just for the sake of it and feels so much better! Maybe I will pick it up after all. Cheapest I can find it is £34.20. Amazon + Origin both want £55 lol.

Usually I buy it on PS4 so I can trade it in but for £34.20 that's quite a good deal. I'd only get like £10 back anyway if I traded it in. So doesn't really make much a difference.

Pachimari

I downloaded the PC version just for the sake of it and feels so much better! Maybe I will pick it up after all. Cheapest I can find it is £34.20. Amazon + Origin both want £55 lol.

Usually I buy it on PS4 so I can trade it in but for £34.20 that's quite a good deal. I'd only get like £10 back anyway if I traded it in. So doesn't really make much a difference.

Where can I find this for said price? :)

Shane86

Really like the changes they've made but the camera choices are bad, I used the fifa 16 camera in fifa 17 but that's gone now.

No, it's not. It's a much better game than 17, which was awful imo.

Small changes? Sure, but they all add up.

Awful? I thought Fifa 17 was the best reviewed Fifa for several years - certainly it was the best there has been on PS4 IMO. 85% or something on Metacritic.

I hope on release 18 is a much better game, but the demo is not too reassuring. I found it laggy and the ai of my teammates without the ball was noticeably poorer.

Lashley

Awful? I thought Fifa 17 was the best reviewed Fifa for several years - certainly it was the best there has been on PS4 IMO. 85% or something on Metacritic.

I hope on release 18 is a much better game, but the demo is not too reassuring. I found it laggy and the ai of my teammates without the ball was noticeably poorer.
lol fifa reviews well each and every year, 17 was the worst in a while

Last FIFA I legit loved was probably 15
Not the default camera, there's a camera called exactly like that: Classic.

I'll try it out

Who's doing the OT?

Lashley

Unfortunately it was just a coincidence, there is a timer behind it. I didn't catch it how long it takes, but it has to be around 12 hours (I refreshed the squads once today and now is says 1 hour remaining)

s2xaOSD.gif

Having a lot of joy with the Co-op cam. I like being able to see so much of the pitch. It might be a bit far away but I'm playing on a laptop, so it's fine.

dragn

whats up with the game/sprint speed? probably can run twice as fast from one end to another than in pes this year rofl (i mean the ea access trial not demo)

Turning around seems way faster than 17.

Character movements have way more animations than last year and the pace is much slower.

It plays a more realistic looking game on the pitch. The animations still aren't as great as PES, but FIFA is moving in the right direction.

The controls feel more responsive compared to 17, helped in part by the additional animations.

dragn

Character movements have way more animations than last year and the pace is much slower.

It plays a more realistic looking game on the pitch. The animations still aren't as great as PES, but FIFA is moving in the right direction.

The controls feel more responsive compared to 17, helped in part by the additional animations.

i find the speed too much as soon as you sprint while knocking the ball in front a bit, snails like nuri sahin (that guy cant even sprint properly) are too fast

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Ugh, I'm done with the 10 hours. I want to play more!

Now the waiting begins.

i find the speed too much as soon as you sprint while knocking the ball in front a bit, snails like nuri sahin (that guy cant even sprint properly) are too fast

If you play on Pro or up that knocking the ball in front doesn't help you one bit.

Kurt

I'm thinking about buying my first fifa game on the switch.
I'm wondering, could you play it with 2 players co-op online (at the same time)?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I just want to know when Switch review copies are gonna hit.

I know a bunch of outlets have PS4/Bone copies with varying degrees of previews/reviews out.

I need Switch specific info doe.

AwShucks

Been playing FIFA 18 and PES 18 demos on PS4. Why does the FIFA demo look so...washed out? And the video settings just tell me to adjust my tv? No thanks.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Does the Switch get the Ronaldo and Icon editions? Because that would mean they should unlock in eshop tonight.

Cartho

Does the Switch get the Ronaldo and Icon editions? Because that would mean they should unlock in eshop tonight.

Amazon UK has the Ronaldo and Icon editions listed as "not available for Switch". Whether that means genuinely not available or just "out of stock" I'm not sure.

Top Bottom