• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 Demo Impressions

I bought FIFA 17 out of curiosity for Journey. I think I'll pass if it's more of the same, Journey part 2 doesn't have the same sway.

Ravelle

I have been out of the PES/FIFA scene for a few years so played the PES demo first and it seems to play fine, I like the sleek and snappy interface, a welcome sight coming from PES 2006. Now to see how FIFA18 plays.

Tried both on PS4 and PES looked and played better, players look like blobs on the PS4 and I'm not sure if those purple and bright green colors on the interface are standard but it sure hurt my eyes.

Gonna see if it's any better on PC.

Is it HDR that's making it so dark? It looks awful.

There is an option to tune the brightness of HDR in the options menu. Believe it's in the calibration setting.

Absolutely love the various licensed league presentations. Coming from a PES guy, it's a welcome addition. And the atmosphere of the Galaxy MLS game was great. But the gameplay itself is boring, too fast, and one note. Every goal feels the same, and unlike PES, I never feel accomplished by scoring a nice build up play goal. Also way to many post hits. Every game I played had at least one post hit.

Not sure if I'll play a footie game this year. Not feeling FIFA 18, but I'm also burned out from PES lack of excite outside of the fun gameplay.

MisterR

I bought FIFA 17 out of curiosity for Journey. I think I'll pass if it's more of the same, Journey part 2 doesn't have the same sway.

Yep. Got it last year. Played the Journey and then traded it in. Gameplay wasn't good. Going to try this demo, but not encouraging to hear it's very much like 17. Looking like PES this year.

Big Blue

Full manual is where FIFA gameplay makes sense IMO. I cant stand auto or semi, is like a pinball XD

Lol, auto feels so cheap to me lol. I feel guilty If I don't play manual. While I don't stick my nose up at players who don't go manual passing, I have no respect for people who use assisted shooting.

Metalmarc

Is it me or have recent Fifa games have like a treading through water feel? I dunno how to descibe it, like your trying to move forward but a force is slightly tugging you back? I skipped a few Fifas, or was it always like this?

Tried pes didnt like it.

Am still buying for the Switch though

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
There is an option to tune the brightness of HDR in the options menu. Believe it's in the calibration setting.

Absolutely love the various licensed league presentations. Coming from a PES guy, it's a welcome addition. And the atmosphere of the Galaxy MLS game was great. But the gameplay itself is boring, too fast, and one note. Every goal feels the same, and unlike PES, I never feel accomplished by scoring a nice build up play goal. Also way to many post hits. Every game I played had at least one post hit.

Not sure if I'll play a footie game this year. Not feeling FIFA 18, but I'm also burned out from PES lack of excite outside of the fun gameplay.
I set it at 100 and still dark

Lashley

Is it me or have recent Fifa games have like a treading through water feel? I dunno how to descibe it, like your trying to move forward but a force is slightly tugging you back? I skipped a few Fifas, or was it always like this?

Tried pes didnt like it.

Am still buying for the Switch though
I know what you mean. Movement doesn't feel fluid

Lashley

I hate the crossing, it never goes where I ask.

All my early crosses are floaty and go outside the box too

EDIT:

It's brighter in the pics but first is HDR second is SDR

I thought HDR was meant to make the colors pop?

DJj2R-ZWsAERWRq.jpg

DJj2VXYWAAAfbRT.jpg

DominoKid

I don't like it as much as 17 off the rip. That felt so natural. Best I've been at FIFA since 12 probably.

But I'll get used to it. It's still FIFA.
Crossing is better
Shooting feels the same but it looks worse
Feels like the players are in quicksand compared to the jetpacks last year
Defending is harder.
Game feels more physical.
I can't decide if I like the passing more or less than last year. Certain aspects for both.

As an MLS fan, this is bliss. We've got player scans instead of approximations, we've got the league anthem before the match. Hell, Toronto FC finally has the accurate armband! (I actually tweeted to EA about that one in the past.)

I really may have to buy this.

DigSCCP

Pre order already done.
I dont know if I start this demo now or if I play the Journey on 17 first to be ready to "Season 2".
I still need to reach Division 1 on UT Seasons but I think this is going to be a imposible mission at this point.
I´ve been on Division 2 like forever...

EDIT:

DJj2R-ZWsAERWRq.jpg

DJj2VXYWAAAfbRT.jpg
No. HDR is supposed to make color gradation and differences between light and dark spots more natural.

I set it at 100 and still dark

Yeah I agree, just played the Journey mode game at Stamford Bridge and it was ridiculously dark for a mid afternoon game. Honestly the graphics look dated. It's clean but the level of detail in player models and stadiums doesn't come close to PES.

damolii

Neo Member
I'm one of those people that hates when people talk ignorantly about how FIFA is just the same thing every year no difference, but after looking at this, I can't say I blame them for that initial judgement. The changes are very nuance, and like every year it has its own aesthetic, but gameplay wise, this could just be a mod for FIFA 17. That said, it's still entertaining, $60 is just a pretty hard sell, plus I have college, so Ultimate Team is out of the question for most of the year.

I'm on PC, so I also want to see what PES brings this year, they seem to be causing quite an upset recently

I think it looks great with HDR on my ks8000. Spectacular imo.

I enjoyed the demo. Felt like they made through passes way more powerful and the dribbling way better.

I wish there was actual midfield play tho.

EDIT:

DJj2R-ZWsAERWRq.jpg

DJj2VXYWAAAfbRT.jpg

Stupid question but are you sure your monitor has HDR?

Might be wrong but that's an asus pg279q?

Keinning

Really? I'm actually kinda upset because all my crosses are being too good. I play with every assist turned off, and sometimes i'm pretty sure i goofed some crosses but nope, still goes pinpoint to the head of my striker or one of my players move to the exact spot the cross is going or the keeper takes forever to leave the goal and an easy cross becomes a dangerous one anyway, only way i can miss them is if i don't head the ball on purpose. Maybe the cross assist is still bugged off, i don't know, i'm pretty sure i'm nowhere near this good to hit perfect crosses every time

Most things are similar to FIFA 17, but really love Quick Subs! Don't know about professional players, but that's a great feature for people like me.

OMG This is the best FIFA in years feels and plays so right, also the HDR is incredible the sun glow coming off the players and stadium is staggering

Genio88

looks like speed is more effective again :lol

https://streamable.com/h0wjc

I Quadrado played yesterday and he was like that we would have won against Barca.....
I wanna try the Switch version, already preordered it on Switch but i wanna try it out, so curious to check it out, also i'm gonna play Ultimate Team on Switch, why we don't get any UT bonus from preorders like the other versions? i'm gonna have to start UT with nothing not even some free packs

Okada

One thing I really like about this demo over PES is that with a big lump like Lukaku up top you can consistently hold off the defender and chest it down to your feet rather than having to head it to a team mate.

Other than that and the presentation I'm really not feeling this. The PES 2018 beta & demo are leaps and bounds above this in both gameplay and graphics.

One thing I really like about this demo over PES is that with a big lump like Lukaku up top you can consistently hold off the defender and chest it down to your feet rather than having to head it to a team mate.

Other than that and the presentation I'm really not feeling this. The PES 2018 beta & demo are leaps and bounds above this in both gameplay and graphics.
Huh weird. I could never do that in Fifa 17, but could in PES 17. I'll have to try it out.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I tried it now. I played with everything manual and I really like the feel of the game. The only thing that didn't feel right were the through passes for some reason. Other than that everything felt good, the passes, the shots, even the crosses. Felt quite fluid too.

MadMod

Played 2 matches, very experienced in Fifa's. Play hundreds of matches, gameplay wise, the dribbling feels slightly more accurate. Its slightly smoother but I cant tell if thats just the single player, as I mostly play ultimate team where the gameplay is slightly different compared on SP.

Kinan

Well, it was similar to 17, crosses are the biggest change, and I think the new system has potential to be better, will take some time to get used though.

Also, word of warning, do not try that Journey demo part if you are worried about story spoilers. It is spoiling major story twist. Thanks EA. :/

wotta

I've been playing PES 2018 for review and it's fantastic. The goalkeeper animation is incredible, it'll be interesting to see how FIFA compares in this respect.

Dartastic

Honestly, with the Journey and actual MLS scans and representation in (FUCKING FINALLY) it's a no brainer for me, even though I really enjoyed PES. PES lacking licenses is really the only thing holding me back from it.

Honestly, with the Journey and actual MLS scans and representation in (FUCKING FINALLY) it's a no brainer for me, even though I really enjoyed PES. PES lacking licenses is really the only thing holding me back from it.
Look up option files. Takes 5 mins to get all the licenses.

philm87

Why do people say PES graphics are better than Fifa? (I'm not a fanboy, have PES2018 at home after it was delivered yesterday). Fifa 18 looks insanely good on my Samsung KS9000 with 4K HDR on PS4 Pro. Fifa 17 looked great but the HDR just adds that extra edge of realism. Admittedly some of the PES faces look increadible, and PES graphics have improved overall, but nowhere near the realism of Fifa.

Ravelle

The PS4 and PC feel about the same and it might be me but it feels worse than earlier FIFA's, I always liked how FIFA played but it seems different somehow.

Why do people say PES graphics are better than Fifa? (I'm not a fanboy, have PES2018 at home after it was delivered yesterday). Fifa 18 looks insanely good on my Samsung KS9000 with 4K HDR on PS4 Pro. Fifa 17 looked great but the HDR just adds that extra edge of realism. Admittedly some of the PES faces look increadible, and PES graphics have improved overall, but nowhere near the realism of Fifa.
I don't particularly care which has better graphics, I've played the last few years of PES on PC, which had last gen graphics. But I prefer the animations of PES, feel they're closer to actual varied movements than Fifa. Makes a huge difference.

NHale

I've been playing PES 2018 for review and it's fantastic. The goalkeeper animation is incredible, it'll be interesting to see how FIFA compares in this respect.

They must have improved a lot since the demo, considering the goalkeepers animation is one of the worst parts of the demo.

Top Bottom