• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Hylian7

Just downloaded test server after watching some test server streams.

Whoa, that slows the flow of the game down a lot.

Time to adapt.

Exactly.
goodjob.gif

Hylian7

giphy.gif

This makes the game more tactical as you will have to choose what you want versus loosing time looting non essential stuff.

Yep, that's one of the things I love about it.

More recently, some of my friends and I have started playing where we go somewhere far away from the plane drop point (usually outside the first circle) to loot, then drive back in, and if we are satisfied with our loot, take up a position in buildings somewhere in the middle of the circle, and pretty much keep ourselves in the middle. We spend less time keeping up with circle time and more time getting the drop on people. We have won a handful of games doing this.

Woo-Fu

Banned
The VSS looks amazing. And it's not just a crate drop, it's a rare world item? It's like a silenced UMP + silenced ACOG AR in one.

9mm subsonic, that means low damage and good luck hitting anybody moving at medium to long range.

It is however pretty much silent from the victim's position. You just hear bullet impacts.

I might use it in solo, doubt I'd use in duo/squads where downing somebody often doesn't get the job done.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

The developer stated it was a bug, I don't understand what's so difficult to grasp about this. I'm sure if a lot of things in this game were different, them being changed to the way they were now would feel "awful".

Sometimes bugs make games better. It literally felt better to play when it was 'bugged'. Ninja equated it to the BXR in Halo 2, an actual bug which made the game better and more competitive, which Bungie declined to patch out because they understood the positive effect it had on gameplay.

Bug or not, changing it made the game feel worse to play.

baby

drag looting, while advantageous, felt unnatural and awful and im glad its dead

also i will only use the vss if its bad. seems like a less shit crossbow

Sometimes bugs make games better. It literally felt better to play when it was 'bugged'. Ninja equated it to the BXR in Halo 2, an actual bug which made the game better and more competitive, which Bungie declined to patch out because they understood the positive effect it had on gameplay.

lol when did bungie ever patch halo 2 do you know what year that game came out in

JDB

Banned
drag looting, while advantageous, felt unnatural and awful and im glad its dead

also i will only use the vss if its bad. seems like a less shit crossbow

lol when did bungie ever patch halo 2 do you know what year that game came out in
You see they understood it benefited the game which is why they brought it over and expanding upon it for Halo 3.

baby

You see they understood it benefited the game which is why they brought it over and expanding upon it for Halo 3.

and you know what everyone always said about bxr "this feels good and natural and is incredibly intuitive"

Hylian7

Exactly.

There are some games where things that are originally bugs were adapted to game mechanics. An example is in Dota, you have the jungle camps. The way those worked was there was an invisible box around each camp (in Dota 2, they later made it where you an hold alt to show these), and it would check every minute on the clock if any unit or ward was in that box. If nothing is there, a new set of creeps is spawned. If there is something there, creeps don't spawn. Jungle creeps chase you for a bit when you aggro them. So what you do is before the minute, you get the creeps to follow you out of the box when the minute rolls around, and then you have another set of creeps. This gets you even more gold and experience. This was intentionally left in, and then made clear to be a mechanic now. Icefrog regularly refers to stacking in the patch notes.

In cases like PUBG or BXR, they don't really make much sense because it seems like a silly way to do the same thing a little faster making the other option totally obselete. The devs want there to be an animation, so there's an animation. I don't see the problem here.

baby

and also with minutiae like this what matters more is the developers vision of the game, not what some ubernerds with streaming software think is better

the wurm

Neo Member
Apples to oranges, regarding BXR.

The devs clearly don't want players to be able to pick up items super fast using the tab-click-drag method anymore. I welcome any change that helps level the playing field.

In cases like PUBG or BXR, they don't really make much sense because it seems like a silly way to do the same thing a little faster making the other option totally obselete. The devs want there to be an animation, so there's an animation. I don't see the problem here.

This is totally false. There are definite moments in the game where F-looting (directly interacting with the item) is the correct choice: early in the game where people are scrapping for initial weapons, also when there is a clear LOS to the item you're intending to loot (I use it for First Aid Kits/Med Kits/Bandages frequently).

Drag looting did NOT invalidate F-looting. It was an alternative which made the looting interaction feel better when interacting with multiple items or in a loot area which was hard to visually ascertain what the loot actually is.

Bread

Banned
Apples to oranges, regarding BXR.

The devs clearly don't want players to be able to pick up items super fast using the tab-click-drag method anymore. I welcome any change that helps level the playing field.
I love the idea that it's a "skill differentiator" or whatever. No, it's something that most people just aren't aware of. That's not skill. Now the people that play a ton or are more versed in the game have to loot the same way as everyone else, how awful.

baby

This is totally false. There are definite moments in the game where F-looting (directly interacting with the item) is the correct choice: early in the game where people are scrapping for initial weapons, also when there is a clear LOS to the item you're intending to loot (I use it for First Aid Kits/Med Kits/Bandages frequently).

Drag looting did NOT invalidate F-looting. It was an alternative which made the looting interaction feel better when interacting with multiple items or in a loot area which was hard to visually ascertain what the loot actually is.

huh? its not that you cant see the items in the tab menu now, theres just an animation associated with it. did you actually read the patch notes because i dont get at all what you seem to think this change is

huh? its not that you cant see the items in the tab menu now, theres just an animation associated with it. did you actually read the patch notes because i dont get at all what you seem to think this change is

You're right, my analogy is a bit off. I will adapt, but I maintain that the change made the game feel worse to play, for me.

I think I'm never going to grab an SKS ever again unless I'm desperate. Shot a guy like 5 times and he was still up.

Yes, SKS is hot garbage. Just grab an AK and slap a 4x/8x on it. Then you get:

Full Auto
Bigger Clip
More Damage
Less Recoil

The SKS is fully outclassed by the AK. They really need to make some changes to it.

Hylian7

I love the idea that it's a "skill differentiator" or whatever. No, it's something that most people just aren't aware of. That's not skill. Now the people that play a ton or are more versed in the game have to loot the same way as everyone else, how awful.

Exactly. Dota used to have a lot of things that not everyone knew about (like the spawn boxes), that months ago, they made a lot of this stuff clearer. Of course Reddit flipped their shit over it.

Other examples from Dota:

Seeing tower range and who the tower was attacking next. Before all the experienced players just knew the "laws of towers", they attack the closest thing to them, unless a hero right clicks an enemy hero, then it attacks them, but that hero can de-aggro the tower by being behind an ally and A+Clicking them.

Spells that go through Spell Immunity, before they weren't always indicated, but now every single spell in the game has an indicator on whether it goes through Spell Immunity, and the laws of Spell Immunity were rewritten and clearly defined, so every single spell consistently followed them.

Would you drag people be as upset if they took the animation out of right clicking or pressing F?

Doesn't make sense to have one be an advantage over the other.

Bread

Banned
but this isn't changing at all, so what are you actually mad about

Are you a joke poster? Bungie is probably the most anti-competitive gaming developer in existence. Each game they've made has been geared towards "casuals" more and more. If they understood the positive effects of BXR adding a skill gap to the game why would they not have that be an intended feature in Halo 3? On top of being such supporters of skill gaps, why would they then introduce bullet spread to the BR in H3? Halo Reach then makes Halo 3 look like CS and then their next game, Destiny, makes Halo Reach look like Quake.

Bungie leaving BXR because they valued it lol

I'm addicted to watching some of the worlds best players play this on Twitch. I don't even have a gaming PC and I love this game. haha
I just really enjoy watching some quality 2 and 4 player teamwork. Though I hate the first 5-10 minutes of each match watching the weapon/ammo/armor hunt.

Bread

Banned
Honestly, they should just remove the need to reload. It is so tedious looking for ammo and really slows the game down.
i hate the fact that we have to waste time looking for gear, it's risky to check houses when someone could be waiting inside with a shotgun. why not just let us choose a loadout before the game starts?

Tagyhag

That feel when you're having a great match and have good loot and end up dying outside the playzone.

So disheartening lol. I was like 30 feet away too ;~;

baby

i hate the fact that we have to waste time looking for gear, it's risky to check houses when someone could be waiting inside with a shotgun. why not just let us choose a loadout before the game starts?

personally i think they should remove walking and make it exclusively on the rail. really removes the third person advantage and the pain of having to use a keyboard

Jobbs

Banned

And why waste time getting into a match if dying just means your game is over? Just have a 5 second respawn. And the map is too big. Why waste time looking for other players? Shrink it down so you find people to kill over and over quickly.

Why won't someone make a game like that?

They should remove drinking energy drinks/taking pain killers/healing while driving in cars. Makes it too easy for people to heal up when I take shots at them from 600 meters away.

Oh wait....

Top Bottom