• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

psyfi

Banned
I put my Best Buy preorder in as soon as they became available, but I figured I should call and double confirm, and I'm good to go. :)

This is the most excited I've been about a hardware launch since the Wii. Another cool hardware hook and another amazing looking Zelda game.

Have fun out there, folks.

Slaythe

Cancelled amazon order.

I bought it on Fnac with "in store pick up".

We shall see if that was a good decision or not...

Vitacat

I did a sneaky and walked into Gamestop today, without a pre-order, and picked up a Switch.

Midnight launch stock for walk-ins/non-preorders as I understand it that they were selling early.
No way. I find that hard to believe.

Where is this GameStop?

deleted

Wow, what is nintendo thinking? No local back up? Damn...

It's always possible to patch that in.

I'm glad Nintendo laid out well thought out but very basic fundamentals that can easily be build upon. It's far better than their last three broken attempts at an OS.

But it's far from perfect yet. Fast and easy, but not as deep as I would like.

Has anyone tried putting it on the dock with the power plug unplugged? Does it still show on the TV, or no?

Also I know digital foundry tried with a usb c to hdmi converter, but has anyone tried with a converter that also supplies power over USB C, like the one for MacBooks?

So the Switch has a secret browser for connecting to wifi.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/2/14792262/nintendo-switch-internet-browse-public-hotspots

Does this mean homebrew is gonna be eventually possible?

(Sorry if old.)

I assumed they didn't include a browser because they didn't want to have the chance of a browser hack. What's dumb is it caused this issue, so they had to create a web applet for it, which I'm sure is easy to spoof, and is probably not all that secure for the system.

LaneDS

Actually the sound quality is good. Its not particularly loud but it is clean and distortion free, I could distinctly hear multiple layers of audio in the soundtrack. I have spent about 5min just then just getting out into the the game world in Zelda and stuffed about the front of the cave you emerge from. Climbed some trees, rocks etc and just ran around in the grass. The speakers are capable of nice audio, the shuffles of running through the grass while birds and other ambient sounds played out was very distinct, I would say the audio is actually very good.

It of course does not sound as full as nice headphones or having a sound system capable of producing full bodied sound with authority, but the Switch speakers are definitely nice and clean with good detail.

Late response by thread standards, but thanks for the impressions! Glad to hear (pun unintended) that the audio sounds good on the speakers.

ArchAngel

I really like the hardware, but damn are my straps tight. It feels like breaking the JoyCons if I want to remove them (not locked). On the Switch itself it's very easy.

But the only things I don't like are the low sound volume and stick travel from the Joy-Cons.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
No way. I find that hard to believe.

Where is this GameStop?

Ireland

Also, this is interesting(?). You can only see your friends online if they're actively in a game.
This is taken from the "user page" where it says I'm offline since I'm browsing the menus.
MWg9MTr.jpg

So the Switch has a secret browser for connecting to wifi.

It's an applet, which means it probably has to be invoked by an existing application.

So you'd probably need a way to provide a hack through a site that certified applications will open, or find a way to sneak your own applications onto Switch without a browser hack.

andytjm

Neo Member
Has anyone had any luck using the pro controller on steam? I tried mine but movement is very slow.
I've tried portal 2 and bioshock remastered.

Ireland

Also, this is interesting(?). You can only see your friends online if they're actively in a game.
This is taken from the "user page" where it says I'm offline since I'm browsing the menus.

It makes sense in a way. You have to specifically log in when you select a game, go to the eShop, etc, so just browsing the system you're not technically "logged in".

Yousefb

My switch is ready for pick up at best buy buy will they actually let me pick it up before midnight? Thinking of swinging by after work.

Get hype!

My switch is ready for pick up at best buy buy will they actually let me pick it up before midnight? Thinking of swinging by after work.

Get hype!

according to mine when I called, I can't actually leave the store with it until 12:01 am. Doors open at 11. What I'm wondering is if I'll be able to get its before 12, and use Best Buy's wifi to download the day one update.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
USB KEYBOARDS WORK ON SWITCH ESHOP

https://twitter.com/DanRyckert/status/837361622243033088

i repeat

USB KEYBOARDS WORK ON SWITCH ESHOP

Wouldn't this mean that behind the scene there are some common libraries? Maybe the Android based thing is not that far fetched?

It's an applet, which means it probably has to be invoked by an existing application.

So you'd probably need a way to provide a hack through a site that certified applications will open, or find a way to sneak your own applications onto Switch without a browser hack.

You can set up a hotspot with a spoof authentication website. The question is for somebody to find a backdoor to be used by that website.

ITSMILNER

With online, I assume each game (Bomberman, Mario Kart 8: Deluxe) have there own lobby systems to join friends in? So would that mean the upcoming app is purely for online chat and creating a party that moves between games?

I mean the Wii U version of MK8 had lobbies so they wouldn't remove them would they?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
  • My Neon Switch should be arriving from Amazon tomorrow morning.
  • Pre-Ordered 1, 2, Switch with in-store pickup at Best Buy.
  • Going in on Friday to purchase Zelda with a 10% off coupon I received in my e-mail.
  • I'll probably hold off on additional accessories for now. I may buy a case depending on what Best Buy/Walmart/Target stocks in-store.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Just got the call from Toys r Us! Early open tomorrow and I have 48 hours to pick it up.

Can't actually go early because work but it's still good to hear the confirmation. And I can get Zelda at EB at 8. Nice.

Question.

I am working tomorow but before going to work on my way i am picking up my switch and zelda.

I work in a very relaxed office and all. Now having the switch with me at work i was wondering lets say i open it up. Do i need a tv before i can play with? Do all the setup stuff or can i immediatly jump in on handheld mode and set it all up that way? I have long breaks in before calls so i want to start gaming asap haha

Amazon charged me today and my Switch and Zelda are preparing to ship! :D

Haven't been this excited for a system launch in a long, LONG time. The 360, Wii, and DS were probably the last systems I was really excited to get at launch.

asagami_

Banned
Question.

I am working tomorow but before going to work on my way i am picking up my switch and zelda.

I work in a very relaxed office and all. Now having the switch with me at work i was wondering lets say i open it up. Do i need a tv before i can play with? Do all the setup stuff or can i immediatly jump in on handheld mode and set it all up that way? I have long breaks in before calls so i want to start gaming asap haha

It's a handheld device. You don't need a TV for anything.

It isn't a proper console launch until I've seen pictures of lines outside retailers! I love to see the huddled masses of gamers, shivering on the streets, whist waiting for midnight....

Bring on the pictures!!

warthog

Enjoy your new console, boys and girls. I can't justify spending the money right now, but maybe I'll get it in a distant future. Have fun with Zelda!

_h8bit

Banned
I have some Game Stop money i'm looking to burn and churn into eShop cards.. are those distributed digitally upon checkout? I've never had to go through that process before.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You don't need Android to support a USB keyboard...it could easily be built on linux and support one too

Sure. Even so it's interesting as it's some kind of native support, I don't remember seeing any menu about USB devices in the settings (from the videos I watched), but maybe I missed it, who knows.

Interfectum

Sure. Even so it's interesting as it's some kind of native support, I don't remember seeing any menu about USB devices in the settings (from the videos I watched), but maybe I missed it, who knows.

The OS is coming in so hot keyboard support could be there for the devs to test various things. I wonder what this OS will look like 12 months from now.

Peterc

In Belgium, I tried to get the switch today. But at game mania(gamestore) they said I needed to wait until tomorrow. He also told me that It seems some stores sold the switch already. Nintendo visited the store and removed all switches from that shop.

tebunker

Banned
It feels like to me, that in order to have a more secure system they purposefully hamstrung the os so that they can add and implement stuff as securely as possible.

This solution has caused some of the weirdness with accounts and online. It is also probably why we are getting an app as a solution that is baked in to the other systems os's.

It all feels rushed. I am happy to be getting one and think I will get value from it, but it just seems like Nintendo lacks the engineers for this os work and probably needs to bring in some fresh blood and other perspectives

I just played the Dragon Quest Heroes Demo from the japanese eShop in both handheld and TV mode and the framerate difference is huge. Framerate on handheld mode is all over the place with some serious drops, TV play is much smoother. It's probably not the most polished port from Square Enix but it's still disappointing.

Arondight

I got mine set up too. Picked it up just now. Seems like noone else is picking it up, kind of expected I guess given it's a Friday. The UI actually looks really nice and probably best looking this gen though it's not exactly feature rich better than what I thought. Switch is way bigger than I anticipated though the controllers themselves seems tiny as expected. Great looking Device too particularly with build quality and while I was kind of unsure about Neon , having it in hand looks way better than grey.

Portable Zelda is going to be so damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom