• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

udjglja5yzflqcdvnvye.gif

Wow am I glad that I never wanted him on my team.

gutshot

phanphare

Banned
batum update

October 10, 2017 – The Charlotte Hornets announced today that guard/forward Nicolas Batum will immediately begin rehab to address the tear of the ulnar collateral ligament in his left elbow. The injury, which occurred in the first quarter of Charlotte’s preseason road contest against the Detroit Pistons on October 4, 2017, will keep him out an estimated time frame of six to eight weeks and not require a surgical procedure. Further updates on his status will be provided when available.

http://www.nba.com/hornets/press-releases/hornets-injury-update-10/10/17

6-8 weeks ain't bad at all

Boogs31

batum update
6-8 weeks ain't bad at all

Except for the fact that they now have to rely on a rookie as their secondary playmaker for a quarter of the season. The only saving grace for the Hornets is the fact that the East is so terrible that they still might make the playoffs with 35 wins.

phanphare

Banned
Except for the fact that they now have to rely on a rookie as their secondary playmaker for a quarter of the season. The only saving grace for the Hornets is the fact that the East is so terrible that they still might make the playoffs with 35 wins.

lamb will be replacing batum in the starting line up not monk

phanphare

Banned
I said secondary playmaker, not starting shooting guard. Lamb isn't a creator. When Kemba rests, they have no one to initiate offense. Batum fills that role when healthy.

ah yeah that'll be tough

though dwight howard getting some minutes at the point will certainly help

Hesh

I love basketball and have since I was 5 but for the life of me I can't find any interest in preseason basketball when Justin Holiday is dropping 28 and 11 on the Cavs in a win. Why are these games televised? Who is buying tickets to this garbage?

mjp2417

Banned
I love basketball and have since I was 5 but for the life of me I can't find any interest in preseason basketball when Justin Holiday is dropping 28 and 11 on the Cavs in a win. Why are these games televised? Who is buying tickets to this garbage?
First chance to see the rookie class and players that have changed teams in something that vaguely resembles NBA basketball. I can't stomach an entire game of it, but the minutes a Ben Simmons or a Lonzo plays are still interesting.

Joel Embiid's deal protects 76ers in case of contractually specific injury

Here's how a perfect storm of calamity would have to unfold for Embiid to earn any less than the full $146.5 million: Across each of the final four seasons of the extension, ending with the 2022-23 season, the 76ers could waive Embiid for a financial benefit if he's lost because of a contractually agreed-upon injury that causes him to miss 25 or more regular-season games and if he plays less than 1,650 minutes, league sources said.

Specific injuries are laid out in the contract and include only past problem areas with Embiid's feet and back, sources said. Embiid has to miss 25 or more regular-season games because of injuries in those areas, and play less than 1,650 minutes, for Philadelphia to have the option of releasing him for cost savings.

For example, if Embiid hypothetically suffered a serious knee or wrist injury -- something outside the contractual language surrounding the feet and back -- the 76ers would have no avenue to waive Embiid to reclaim any portion of his salary. And given Embiid's rare talent, there's a belief that he'd have to suffer a career-ending injury to inspire the 76ers to release him.

If Embiid met that narrow criteria and the Sixers decided to waive him after the 2018-19 season, he would receive $84.2 million of his full contract; $98.2 million after the 2019-20 season; $113.3 million after the 2020-21 season; and $129.4 million after the 2021-22 season.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
So what's the excuse for starting Kuz if Nance gets a start twice? Nance and Kuz rebound at the same rate and Nance gives you little on offense while Kuz is offensively dynamic.

I hate political shit like this. This guy has earned that starting spot. Period. All Luke has to say about it is "It's not off the table.." fuck outta here. START HIM

Improvement, but not enough to keep his starting job. Kuz and Randle have played very well together and they deserve to start.

Because the goal for this season is player development ahead of Wins, and you want Ingram and Ball (and to some extend Kuz) to get as much PT together as possible.

Kuzma's +- when he's on the court is reason enough to start him over Ingram. Brandon coming off the bench also means less shots for Clarkson, which is a good thing.

It's unlikely Randle is on this team next year. In addition to that he can't spread the floor at all. I see him being the odd man out long term. Kuz and Nance could both slide into that spot.

TTG

Because the goal for this season is player development ahead of Wins, and you want Ingram and Ball (and to some extend Kuz) to get as much PT together as possible.

I thought it was all about making themselves a destination for Bron plus another max guy? If you can move Deng and this clown Ingram together, you gotta do it.

mjp2417

Banned
It's unlikely Randle is on this team next year. In addition to that he can't spread the floor at all. I see him being the odd man out long term. Kuz and Nance could both slide into that spot.

I guess the argument for starting Randle and playing him big minutes is that you want to build up his value and ideally use him as one of the sweeteners to get off the Deng contract

I guess the argument for starting Randle and playing him big minutes is that you want to build up his value and ideally use him as one of the sweeteners to get off the Deng contract

Nobody is taking on Deng's contract for a 3 month Julius Randle rental. They can get close to 2 max slots by trading Clarkson and stretching Deng. Nobody is trading for Deng.

mjp2417

Banned
Nobody is taking on Deng's contract for a 3 month Julius Randle rental. They can get close to 2 max slots by trading Clarkson and stretching Deng. Nobody is trading for Deng.

Sure, hence "one of." I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Randle + a single first could get you off of Deng. Clarkson is of course also going to require additional compensation to move with his contract.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Wow. Look, I like Ingram. Buuuut... he cost us this game and his been mostly ass all pre-season. The last few minutes from him were a complete cluster fuck of poor offensive plays. yesh

Lakers had some fight in 'em tonight though and it was an entertaining game.

Wow. Look, I like Ingram. Buuuut... he cost us this game and his been mostly ass all pre-season. The last few minutes from him were a complete cluster fuck of poor offensive plays. yesh

Lakers had some fight in 'em tonight though and it was an entertaining game.

It's preseason. And this is like a 30, 35 win team max. Who cares about how many games he might cost us. He's young as fuck and developing. You want him to go through that shit because that's the only way he's going to get better. Y'all sounding like Byron Scott or something.

Ingram missed like 4-5 shots in a row during the end of the 4th. Horrible, just horrible. Why does Ingram not play team ball out there? Every shot is forced every time he touches the ball. He isn't skilled enough to be a go to iso guy. Play team ball, pass, and run the offensive sets.

Sure, hence "one of." I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Randle + a single first could get you off of Deng. Clarkson is of course also going to require additional compensation to move with his contract.

Unless it's a lottery pick it ain't happening. That's the price for a contract dump. If anything it's Clarkson's contract that is more movable. He's overpaid but not completely toast like Deng.

Tall4Life

You don't drop your farm now because you hope LeBum joins your shit ass team in the offseason. With the state of these Lakers, LeBum's definitely not coming over. Neither is Paul George. Grow your farm and build on that instead of hoping for free agency signings to leapfrog you 10 years.

It's preseason. And this is like a 30, 35 win team max. Who cares about how many games he might cost us. He's young as fuck and developing. You want him to go through that shit because that's the only way he's going to get better. Y'all sounding like Byron Scott or something.

He's a bust, move on.

Top Bottom