• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 05•19-21•17 - Express elevator hauls Alien to top, passing everything

Man of Steel was $377M ($307M with 2017 ExR), BvS was $543M, and Suicide Squad was $420M (with no China). Given some of the changes in the superhero market since 2013, and current exchange rates I would guess $300-400M. I don't think that it will be as high as Suicide Squad, even with the Chinese release, but I would be surprised if it made less than $300M overseas.

I'm unaware if it means anything significant, but Wonder Woman has Tencent and Wanda supporting it in China. As I understand it is a similar arrangement as Warcraft and Kong.

What does everyone think The Rock will do for Baywatch? I mean, how strong a second will it be even though it is rated R?

They're trying to reproduce the 21 Jump Street lighting strike so IMO it could go either way. If it's actually good and not just a shallow shitty "we can do that too!" movie I could see word of mouth spreading enough for it to do pretty well. I'm sure they'd absolutely die if people were saying "Yeah it's like 21 Jump Street!" to their friends.

kswiston

The Belko Experiment dropping 98% this weekend is sort of funny. It was finally released in Canada last weekend. I guess it was a one week engagement in most places.

EDIT: Also, it looks like Disney jumped back into first place on the Domestic market share chart in the past week.

JeTmAn81

So Covenant will be kind of a disappointment for Fox, financially, likely finishing its domestic run under its reported budget by 5-10mil.

I can see them tossing Scott 75-80 mil for one last prequel film to tie off whatever it is he's been doing with this series. Set it entirely on a spaceship (or two) and shrink the cast down to like, 4 or 5 people. But I doubt they're gonna let him move forward with his weird ideas for prequel-sequels and sequel-prequels for the next 4-6 years.

He'll get one more mid-budget whack at this, and then they'll revive it down the line (5-10yrs, probably) as an anthology or some shit. Or they'll just remake Alien.

As long as the franchise doesn't die forever, I'm ok with things. I always want to see more Alien movies in the hopes there'll be another diamond in the rough. All-time great creature design.

Penguin

Last tracking was a few weeks ago, and Deadline had it at $45-50M while Hollywood Reporter had it at $37-40M (not certain why there's such a discrepancy between the two). Boxoffice.com's latest forecast is $42M.

Hmm can't seem to find a budget number, but seems like a solid enough start for an R-rated (why?) action-comedy

kswiston

Hmm can't seem to find a budget number, but seems like a solid enough start for an R-rated (why?) action-comedy

The film opens on a Thursday, and it's Memorial Day weekend, so those are 5 day predictions (other than boxoffice.com which is FSSM)

Last tracking was a few weeks ago, and Deadline had it at $45-50M while Hollywood Reporter had it at $37-40M (not certain why there's such a discrepancy between the two). Boxoffice.com's latest forecast is $42M.

Are you telling me a dick-titty comedy is gonna potentially beat Ridley helming the Alien franchise?

Oh my...

My 2.5 months ago domestic prediction for GotG2 was pretty close

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231579262&postcount=126

My guess at a $375M total will either be spot on or just a tad high. The opening was slightly lower than I expected as well.

I haven't been able to make up my mind on Spider-Man Homecoming's performance, other than it being a boost over the ASM films domestically.

Damn I really underpredicted GotG2 and as most predicted my placement of Thor 3 is starting to look really silly.

The only time I have driven any distance for a film was the Roadshow version of Hateful 8 that was playing in Michigan, about an hour from me.

I drove an hour to the airport and then flew 1,000 miles and then drove another 15 minutes to watch Jurassic Park.

I really like Jurassic Park.

Are you telling me a dick-titty comedy is gonna potentially beat Ridley helming the Alien franchise?

Oh my...
As kswiss mentioned, the first two are 5-day projections will boxoffice's is a 4-day prediction. If the 5-day ends up being $50M, it's 3-day OW will probably a couple million higher than Alien: Covenant, though.

My 2.5 months ago domestic prediction for GotG2 was pretty close

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231579262&postcount=126

My guess at a $375M total will either be spot on or just a tad high. The opening was slightly lower than I expected as well.

I haven't been able to make up my mind on Spider-Man Homecoming's performance, other than it being a boost over the ASM films domestically.

Looks like I'm going to end up overpredicting GOTG by 75-100M. I was always more confident about my order than my actual numbers, though.

And Pirates: 250M domestic, 650M overseas.

EGM1966

Hoping we get one more alien as was said earlier so we can at least close out whatever Ridley is trying to do as a prequel thing. So many unanswered questions still.
Assuming Covenant does ok internationally I think you will. The budget for Covenant was lower than Prometheus IIRC so I believe the studio knows it's looking at diminishing returns.

I reckon they'll let him have one more crack and then call it quits with Ridley. Unless he pulls off a master stroke I don't see them finding him past one more though. It's clear the direction isn't attracting bigger numbers but smaller ones.

border

I don't think the studio will let Ridley Scott helm another Alien film. This last one has been such a mess, and it's clear that his involvement doesn't really generate higher box office returns.

Blablurn

From the tail end of the last thread:

Dangal is at $114M in China and could end up hitting $150M there. More than the film made in the rest of the world, and almost certainly the first time a big Indian film made more outside of India than in India.

Power Rangers saw a 99% drop in its second weekend in China.

My Chinese coworkers literally came to me, screaming: Have you seen Dangal?

I was like: No...

And then she kept talking and talking about it. Chinese really love it.

I'm still curious about Valerian and Blade Runner. The optimist in me is guessing around $110 million domestic for BR. But with Valerian, I have no idea what it will bring in.

Valerian looks gorgeous, but it needs some heavy marketing. Beyond Mass Effect fans I don't know who it's going to appeal to.

Yikes, King Arthur bombed.. hard.

To the surprise of absolutely no-one. Still such a baffling decision.

What does everyone think The Rock will do for Baywatch? I mean, how strong a second will it be even though it is rated R?

Johnson is normally reliable but I'm not sure who asked for a Baywatch reboot or who it's going to appeal to.

Holy shit; I had no idea they were going for an R rating!! That seems like an odd decision.

I'll go 215 Domestic and 650 international on Pirates but really I have no idea. I just can't gauge what interest is still like with that franchise/ how it will do in China

I don't think Pirates 5 is going to do nearly as well as most people do, but I honestly have no idea about China. I'm going to guess $190 mil domestic/340 mil worldwide.

I don't think the studio will let Ridley Scott helm another Alien film. This last one has been such a mess, and it's clear that his involvement doesn't really generate higher box office returns.

On the other hand Covenant seems to have been made on a surprisingly small budget, so provided it turns a profit I can see Fox ordering a more action-packed script and giving Scott one more chance.

duckroll

On the other hand Covenant seems to have been made on a surprisingly small budget, so provided it turns a profit I can see Fox ordering a more action-packed script and giving Scott one more chance.

Let's compare this modest budgeted R-rated blockbuster from Fox with other R-rated blockbusters from Fox with modest budgets.

Alien: Covenant - Budget 97 million, Opening Week 36 million, Foreign Total Currently 81 million

Kingsman - Budget 81 million, Opening Week 36 million, Domestic Total 128 million, Foreign Total 286 million

Deadpool - Budget 58 million, Opening Week 132 million, Domestic Total 363 million, Foreign Total 420 million

Logan - Budget 97 million, Opening Week 88 million, Domestic Total 225 million, Foreign Total 381 million

Bonus:
Prometheus - Budget 130 million, Opening Week 51 million, Domestic Total 126 million, Foreign Total 276 million

I think once Kingsman 2 opens and does much better than Covenant, Fox is going to seriously reconsider the Alien franchise.

Falchion

Covenant is the first big summer movie that I was excited about but didn't see opening weekend. Sounds like a lot of other people were in my boat too.

Covenant is the first big summer movie that I was excited about but didn't see opening weekend. Sounds like a lot of other people were in my boat too.

same, I am seeing it this thurs. Hope it has pretty decent legs

I wanna see how far Ridley's crazy mind takes this franchise lol

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Actuals are up.

Covenant went 160k up, and GotG2 went 400k down.
(on mobile so can't post the full list)

Anth0ny

We need more Ryan Cooglers in the world for these beloved franchises that are struggling.

In other words, super talented directors that are also super talented fanfiction writers.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It has been 30 years since the last good one, but they just keep fucking coming. They'll just reboot it a decade after they retire the series, too.

Adaptions (-> Games and Comics) are now where the Franchise shines.

I still want my Colonial Marines Vs. Aliens Vs. Predators movie and then it can all die.

Honestly would rather have AvP3 over Prequel 3 at this point. I don't know where the hell Ridley Scott is going with this and I don't think he does either.

Actuals are up.

Covenant went 160k up, and GotG2 went 400k down.
(on mobile so can't post the full list)
Weekend actuals

1. Alien: Covenant - $36,160,621
2. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - $34,653,754
3. Everything, Everything - $11,727,390
4. Snatched - $7,832,517
5. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - $7,152,269
6. Diary of a Wimpy Kid - $7,126,084

Top Bottom