• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 05•19-21•17 - Express elevator hauls Alien to top, passing everything

border

That's the lowest opening for a rock movie in a while.

It was a stupid idea to have him helm a comedy, since that's not remotely where his talent lies.

Baywatch as a comedy is already kind of a shaky premise, since the best comedic actors aren't really in prime physical condition. It probably would have worked better as fish-out-of-water story where some tubby shlub joins a team in peak physical condition. Instead you have these musclebound guys who work better as straight men trying to run the show. I guess that's why it's largely dick jokes and physical humor, since those don't rely on delivery as much.

I'm not convinced. Of all the major studios studios, Fox seems the most conservative and a direct Covenant followup would probably make $40M domestic. It'd be the lowest grossing film of the series.

At the very least, I think it wwould be a very different film from what Scott has envisioned currently.

It'll be mid-budget, and confined to some easy to make/film locations. But they'll give him the money. 70-80mil? Even if I agreed they're "the most conservative studio" (I'm not sure how to even quantify that really) a 70-80mil sci-fi horror flick falls in that range.

Watch him shove a queen and some marines in it.

I hope the failure is a wake up call for FOX to go ahead with Alien 5. I want Ripley back!

Why.

Ripley shouldn't have come back the first time. Now you want 70 year old Ripley (more like 72-75 year-old Ripley by the time this would actually make it through production) in those ridiculous fucking xenopants?

Fox isn't going to make that movie because it's a shit idea, and was always a shit idea.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Baywatch just seems like another example of studios trying desperately to get that 21 Jump Street money without actually realizing why that movie worked.

Why.

Ripley shouldn't have come back the first time. Now you want 70 year old Ripley (more like 72-75 year-old Ripley by the time this would actually make it through production) in those ridiculous fucking xenopants?

Fox isn't going to make that movie because it's a shit idea, and was always a shit idea.
We can't get a 70 year old Ripley but Harrison Ford's decrepit ass can still be lead for franchises that are almost 30-40 years old at this point?

It'll be mid-budget, and confined to some easy to make/film locations. But they'll give him the money. 70-80mil? Even if I agreed they're "the most conservative studio" (I'm not sure how to even quantify that really) a 70-80mil sci-fi horror flick falls in that range.

Watch him shove a queen and some marines in it.
The conservative comment isn't anything I know for sure, but based on observing the budgets of Deadpool, Logan, and Covenant are all relatively low. Rise of the planet of the apes was also under $100M, which is insane.

I just don't see a followup as a sure thing, at all. $70M is around what Covenant is going to gross, so giving a sequel that much as a budget is not a financially wise decision.

We can't get a 70 year old Ripley but Harrison Ford's decrepit ass can still be lead for franchises that are almost 30-40 years old at this point?

And that shit is stupid as fuck, too.

70 year old Ripley is dumb. Blomkamp is shit. The entire idea is one big fan handjob and you guys are asking for it from a guy who is all elbows.

"Give me my pandering elbow-job from a scattered nimrod" said the idiot alien fans, thrusting their laps at the computer monitor. "It can't get any worse" they mewled, as bitter tears collected on their chins.

mjc

70 year old Ripley is dumb. Blomkamp is shit. The entire idea is one big fan handjob and you guys are asking for it from a guy who is all elbows.

"Give me my pandering elbow-job from a scattered nimrod" said the idiot alien fans, thrusting their laps at the computer monitor. "It can't get any worse" they mewled, as bitter tears collected on their chins.

tenor.gif

circlegunning.gif

Jawmuncher

Gotta say I agree with bobby on this one. The old ripely stuff I never found all the interesting. Would rather see more of what Alien Isolation was gonna try had it been a bigger success.

Toa TAK

Banned
I say let them have it.

Just AFTER Scott's final flick. I doubt NB's film would be as interesting, even for all the wrong reasons. Prometheus and Covenant at least contain something worth exploring, even if the execution makes me cry a bit.

Top Bottom