• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 05•19-21•17 - Express elevator hauls Alien to top, passing everything

Vectorman

Banned
In retrospect, Ridley has been having a downtrend in terms of both critically and box office-wise for sometime now. Remember Robin Hood, Exodus, or say the Counselor? Really makes the Martian seem like a fluke really.

overcast

I plan on seeing Wonder Woman, It Comes At Night, The Beguiled, and Baby Driver in June. Then again, I'm not a general movie going audience and love seeing a bunch of things. Although since I'm in Canada, It Comes At Night and The Beguiled probably will be shoved around and then drop with no warning in July.
June is actually an excellent month for movies aside from the typical blockbuster fare.
Alien: Covenant dropped 80% on Friday-to-Friday, grossing only $3.0M yesterday. Ridley Scott isn't getting more than a $50M budget if he makes another one.
Deserves to fail. Trash movie.

kswiston

Since it wasn't explicitly posted yet:

Friday Studio Estimates

1) Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - $23.4M
2) Baywatch - $5.7M - $10M total
3) Guardians of the Galaxy v2 - $5.3M (-39%) - $319M total
4) Alien: Covenant - $3.0M (-80%) - $50M total
5) Everything, Everything - $2.1M (-57%) - $17M total
6) Diary of a Wimpy Kid 4 - $1.3M (-37%) - $10M total
7) Snatched - $1.1M (-54%) - $37M total
8) King Arthur - $870k (-56%) - $32M total
9) The Boss Baby - $415k (-30%) - $168M total
10) Fate of the Furious - $370k (-55%) - $221M total

Gifted has quietly made $23M domestic. Decent given the roll out release and $7M budget.

I wonder if Tencent and Wanda have a hand in the China business.

That could be the case. They did a sneak preview for Kong that worked out quite well in China too.

In retrospect, Ridley has been having a downtrend in terms of both critically and box office-wise for sometime now. Remember Robin Hood, Exodus, or say the Counselor? Really makes the Martian seem like a fluke really.

He's been making flops since the eighties, and he'll be fine. Literally every decade since Alien in 79 has several Ridley Scott flops. But when he hits it, it can create something iconic like Alien, Thelma & Louise, Gladiator and The Martian.

kswiston

Fate of the Furious will cross $1B overseas tomorrow.

It is the 6th film to do so after Titanic, Avatar, Furious 7, Jurassic World, and the Force Awakens. Jurassic World would have missed the mark with today's exchange rates though.

Another piece of trivia for you: Fate of the Furious will have the lowest domestic gross of any film over $1B worldwide, becoming just the third film in that group to miss $300M domestic (after Pirates 4 and Transformers 4)

It is the 6th film to do so after Titanic, Avatar, Furious 7, Jurassic World, and the Force Awakens. Jurassic World would have missed the mark with today's exchange rates though.

Another piece of trivia for you: Fate of the Furious will have the lowest domestic gross of any film over $1B worldwide, becoming just the third film in that group to miss $300M domestic (after Pirates 4 and Transformers 4)
Thread worthy when it happens?

Between Alien's 80% drop and those dismal projected openings for Pirates and Baywatch, it sounds like this domestic week is just going to be mostly weak earnings all around.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Somebody built a wall

Are you sure its a wall?

600px-Aliens_Sentry.jpg

duckroll

Hey, last year Deadpool outgrossed X-Men Apocalypse, Zootopia, Moana, BvS, Suicide Squad, Fantastic Beasts, and Doctor Strange.

N7.Angel

Covenant is worse than Prometheus in almost everything and this movie was shit, I think it's time to let the Alien franchise to other hands.

I'm seriously scared for Blade Runner.

Covenant is worse than Prometheus in almost everything and this movie was shit, I think it's time to let the Alien franchise to other hands.

Ridley Scott has almost nothing to do with 2049. He was too busy making Covenant to meddle in Villeneuve's movie

This just proves my running theory that people hate:
Being scared
Having things come out of them from the chest and back

But they also like:

Space
Matt Damon
Chinese people saving the day

duckroll

Here's a funnier comparison - in the year 2017, a M Night Shyamalan movie had a bigger opening and will have a far higher total gross, domestically, than Alien Covenant.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It should just be laid to rest. I would be fine with a last take of Aliens Vs. Predator, but after that, I am fine with it dying.

Ridley is just producing. Its not even sure we get a continuation of the Harrison Ford is also a Android storyline because the director doesnt like it.

I believe in Denis Villeneuve and Michael Green. Im more afraid of how it will do at the box office than if it will be a good film.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Alien, much like Terminator, is a series that Hollywood should've given up on after the first sequel and definitely should give up on now.

kswiston

Here's a funnier comparison - in the year 2017, a M Night Shyamalan movie had a bigger opening and will have a far higher total gross, domestically, than Alien Covenant.

A $9M M Night Shyamalan movie will probably top Alien Covenant worldwide as well.

Busty

Banned

Wow. That is interesting. Truly this is the new normal.

I believe in Denis Villeneuve and Michael Green. Im more afraid of how it will do at the box office than if it will be a good film.

Didn't Michael Green co-write Alien Covenant too?

duckroll

Alien, much like Terminator, is a series that Hollywood should've given up on after the first sequel and definitely should give up on now.

Good comparison, because it's pretty damn accurate.

Terminator Salvation made 125 million, and Prometheus made 126 million.
Terminator Genisys made 89 million, and Alien Covenant is on track to make....????

:)

Terminator can be redeemed with David Cameron producing the next one.

Funded by Brexit?

N7.Angel

Ridley Scott has almost nothing to do with 2049. He was too busy making Covenant to meddle in Villeneuve's movie

Best news of the day.

It should just be laid to rest. I would be fine with a last take of Aliens Vs. Predator, but after that, I am fine with it dying.

Ridley is just producing. Its not even sure we get a continuation of the Harrison Ford is also a Android storyline because the director doesnt like it.

I don't really like AvP but I'm sure a soft reboot of Alien without the stupid origin of the creature could really work, just stop with David, it's killing my enjoyment of the franchise.

For BR, Ford can't be an android if he's still alive for the sequel.

Villeneuve is really good, will see how it goes.

Didn't Michael Green co-write Alien Covenant too?

It appears he got Spaiht'd. He was brought on, and then somewhere during development Ridley brought on two different screenwriters to rewrite whatever Green turned in before going off to make 2049, and what John & Dante came up with was different enough that Green only qualified for a story by credit.

Yikes, Covenant might put a stop to the Alien franchise for awhile. How is the movie doing overseas?

Nah, Ridley will get one more to wrap this up. He'll get whatever this one makes domestically as his budget, but he'll get to close it out.

ezekial45

Banned
Nah, Ridley will get one more to wrap this up. He'll get whatever this one makes domestically as his budget, but he'll get to close it out.

I can see that happening. It's unfortunate that Scott essentially weakened the franchise he helped created. This trilogy of his is just so misguided.

I'd love for them to just reboot after whatever Scott has in mind for the finish. Hell, just get Bryan Fuller and Micheal Green to write the new original movie that stands on its own. I feel like that'd be something that would work.

J_Viper

something iconic like Alien, Thelma & Louise, Gladiator and The Martian.

Placing The Martian next to Gladiator and Alien has me screaming internally

How dare you

The billion for F8 is well deserved, but I wonder why it's so low domestically

Unlike Pirates and Transformers 4, F8 is actually good

Placing The Martian next to Gladiator and Alien has me screaming internally

How dare you.

I mostly agree with you, but Gladiator is far from perfect. Just trying to point out his successes. I'll take Black Rain over either of them, but that didn't exactly set the world on fire.

Can someone please explain to me Fox's obsession with the Alien franchise and pumping out more films after so many flops and/or bad ones? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that they are so committed to trying to make one of my favorite franchises work, even if they keep failing, but GOOD GOD. Is there any other film franchise that has gotten this many do-overs and relaunch attempts after so many failures? Some big wig up top must REALLY love the first two...

Top Bottom