• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 05•19-21•17 - Express elevator hauls Alien to top, passing everything

Alien Isolation was the sequel we deserved.
I'd be more excited for a new game in that vein than another movie.
And I kinda liked some parts of Prometheus.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Huh, figured it'd be reversed in which would go up and down.
Yep, I thought the same. Still a pretty good result for GotG2 though (its 3rd weekend is behind Avengers, AoU and barely IM3, but ahead of CW)

Weekend actuals

1. Alien: Covenant - $36,160,621
2. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - $34,653,754
3. Everything, Everything - $11,727,390
4. Snatched - $7,832,517
5. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - $7,152,269
6. Diary of a Wimpy Kid - $7,126,084
Thanks man :)

Everything, Everything is going to do decent business for WB over the course of its life. Just need to do that 10 more times and they'll have made up that Arthur money.

Everything, Everything is going to do decent business for WB over the course of its life. Just need to do that 10 more times and they'll have made up that Arthur money.

WB puts out a lot of good content, but they really need to slow down with the whole "give any director who had a hit 10 years ago $200m to make whatever they want" strategy. It's led to some pretty high profile bombs.

So with the Dark Universe news, how much will Mummy have to make to be considered a strong start to the universe?
I haven't seen any articles about what Universal internally is expecting for it, but I would guess they're hoping for World War Z numbers domestically, so around $200M. That seems a bit optimistic, but I do think the film universe is in good shape if it makes $150M and gets a good reception. With Tom Cruise, it's in a good position to make at least double the domestic take overseas. That's a decent enough foundation for it, especially compared to Van Helsing or Dracula Untold.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The best thing that could fall out of the "Dark Universe" (Poor Bastards, came to late for Monster Verse) are more of Releases of the Classics that are nor Front Row like Dracula, Wolf Man or Frankenstein.

Schlorgan

So with the Dark Universe news, how much will Mummy have to make to be considered a strong start to the universe?
$2b

I haven't seen any articles about what Universal internally is expecting for it, but I would guess they're hoping for World War Z numbers domestically, so around $200M. That seems a bit optimistic, but I do think the film universe is in good shape if it makes $150M and gets a good reception. With Tom Cruise, it's in a good position to make at least double the domestic take overseas. That's a decent enough foundation for it, especially compared to Van Helsing or Dracula Untold.
Real answer.

Maybe Universal will release another Wolfman film. One that doesn't bomb horribly.

I want to believe maybe Max Landis in conjunction with John Landis might actually be a viable way to get a decent American Werewolf movie, even if it's just on being weird and awkward as fuck.

Though in reality I think the idea of werewolves and so on as being even remotely 'cool' has passed on when the 80's ended yet nobody seems to have noticed that. I mean, I love Dracula: Dead And Loving It, yet that movie didn't do so hot either. And that had Leslie Nielsen, FFS.

I'm working on my write-up for Baywatch and Pirates predictions, and I'm honestly kind of nervous. Unlike Alien and Guardians 2, the floor for these films seems really low compared to their ceiling, so the potential to be completely wrong is there.

kswiston

I'm working on my write-up for Baywatch and Pirates predictions, and I'm honestly kind of nervous. Unlike Alien and Guardians 2, the floor for these films seems really low compared to their ceiling, so the potential to be completely wrong is there.

I wonder how terrible reviews will affect Pirates 5.

Pirates I can understand, since it's been rock-solid 1 billion and can now become an Alice 2 type thing, but why Baywatch? There is no established pattern there, so how would you determine the ceiling for it?

Small rant on that one:
Literally no one is talking about that one or even cares for it from the looks of it ( I certainly don't ). Even a direct plug at the end of SNL's season finale ( "the president is going for a swim" followed by "there is a lot going on there" ) is really just another dick joke (it was a fun gag though, but once you realize what it's a plug for, it's basically a smile-eraser in that 'oh' moment). I mean, I know more than a few *ahem* "parodies" of Baywatch when it was a show, but who in the right mind would buy a ticket for a movie that seems to only have dick jokes going for it? In 2017? To me, that's a direct "and there's the door" type pitch, but maybe I'm a bit too old for that shit as it is. Then again, I never watched the show either.

Pirates is can understand, since it's been rock-solid 1 billion and can now become an Alice 2 type thing, but why Baywatch? There is no established pattern there, so how would you determine the ceiling for it?

Small rant on that one:
Literally no one is talking about that one or even cares for it from the looks of it ( I certainly don't ). Even a direct plug at the end of SNL's season finale ( "the president is going for a swim" followed by "there is a lot going on there" ) is really just another dick joke (it was a fun gag though, but once you realize what it's a plug for, it's basically a smile-eraser in that 'oh' moment). I mean, I know more than a few *ahem* "parodies" of Baywatch when it was a show, but who in the right mind would buy a ticket for a movie that seems to only have dick jokes going for it? In 2017? To me, that's a direct "and there's the door" type pitch, but maybe I'm a bit too old for that shit as it is. Then again, I never watched the show either.
It's an R-rated action comedy, so there's a few comparison that come to mind for me. The obvious one is 21 Jump Street, which opened to about $36M. You also have Central Intelligence ($35M) and The Heat ($39M). Outside of the action subgenre, The Hangover 3 had an identical 5-day opening over Memorial Day and got $62M despite following the pretty terrible Hangover 2 and having a truly unfunny marketing campaign. Another one is Neighbors, also starring Zac Efron, and that had a $49M 3-day opening.

The name "Baywatch" is recognizable, and The Rock is a bankable star. Considering that, and that Baywatch has generated some strong online buzz, I think you can put the ceiling at around $65M for the 5-day. But a lot of that buzz hasn't been positive, and anecdotally, I think you may be right in that a lot of people are going to see this as a dumb joke. It's a question of whether the marketing has convinced people this is the R-rated comedy film of the summer, or whether general audiences think "A Baywatch remake with explosions? That is so fucking stupid" and check out. If the latter is the general sentiment, it could do very poorly, especially if the film is not good.

edit: I recognize that's sort of contradictory, in that the Baywatch brand could be a positive or a negative. But hopefully that highlights part of why I think this movie is a tough one to predict.

edit 2: I think a good example of what I mean is Pixels. That film's concept is pretty fantastic, IMO, and that generated a lot of online buzz too. It also starred Adam Sandler, while his popularity was waning, was still considered bankable for this type of role. But I believe that the crowd that would have found the videogame concept appealing were put off by Adam Sandler, and vice versa, so the film was a disappointment. It also didn't help it was terrible.

kswiston

Get Out opened pretty big in South Korea. Not too far behind GotG2 actually. South Korea should easily become the largest overseas territory for that film.

Didn't know "sick-lit" was like a whole genre. With Fault In The Stars and other disease books, seems to make sense.

The only other major release of the weekend was “Everything, Everything,” from Warner Bros. and MGM. The sick-lit adaptation will earn $12 million by the end of the weekend from 2,801 locations. That’s enough to land in the top three. “Hunger Games” standout Amandla Stenberg stars as a girl with an autoimmune disease that keeps her locked up indoors. Nick Robinson plays her love interest named Olly. “Everything, Everything” earned the highest CinemaScore of the new released (an A- overall). 82% of its audience was female, and 74% were under 25 years old.​

kswiston

It's more that the film didn't make much overseas unfortunately. $54m total os with the UK's $12.5m being the top grosser so far.

South Korea's 5-day opening was still over $7M. Bigger than Split, where South Korea was the third biggest territory (about $1M behind France and $2M behind the UK).

Didn't know "sick-lit" was like a whole genre. With Fault In The Stars and other disease books, seems to make sense.

The only other major release of the weekend was ”Everything, Everything," from Warner Bros. and MGM. The sick-lit adaptation will earn $12 million by the end of the weekend from 2,801 locations. That's enough to land in the top three. ”Hunger Games" standout Amandla Stenberg stars as a girl with an autoimmune disease that keeps her locked up indoors. Nick Robinson plays her love interest named Olly. ”Everything, Everything" earned the highest CinemaScore of the new released (an A- overall). 82% of its audience was female, and 74% were under 25 years old.​

This appears to have been a thing for a while. Nothing more exciting in a romance than a dying teenager I guess. Upon reflection there's a whole lot of sickness and dying in those Japanese animes you hear so much about.

Slayven

The only other major release of the weekend was “Everything, Everything,” from Warner Bros. and MGM. The sick-lit adaptation will earn $12 million by the end of the weekend from 2,801 locations. That’s enough to land in the top three. “Hunger Games” standout Amandla Stenberg stars as a girl with an autoimmune disease that keeps her locked up indoors. Nick Robinson plays her love interest named Olly. “Everything, Everything” earned the highest CinemaScore of the new released (an A- overall). 82% of its audience was female, and 74% were under 25 years old.​

Didn't know it had a name, but i been noticing it. The last one had the dude be from Mars so he had a weak heart

The moniker makes sense. Also look at Me Before You.

South Korea's 5-day opening was still over $7M. Bigger than Split, where South Korea was the third biggest territory (about $1M behind France and $2M behind the UK).
Really good opening. If Alien: Covenant isn't a decent sized hit in China (did Prometheus even release there?), Get Out may end up with a higher WW total

Prometheus made $34M in China back in 2012. Probably equivalent to $60-80M now.
Thanks. For some reason BOM and the-numbers don't have that info.

So A:C could do well there, but it releases a week before TF5, so it probably be another 95+% second weekend drop for a Chinese release.

I can see them tossing Scott 75-80 mil for one last prequel film to tie off whatever it is he's been doing with this series. Set it entirely on a spaceship (or two) and shrink the cast down to like, 4 or 5 people.

This would be a good thing in my opinion. Put some restraint on the creative department instead of giving them a blank canvas. Too many film makers today are asking "can I do this?" instead of "should I do this?"

This would be a good thing in my opinion. Put some restraint on the creative department instead of giving them a blank canvas. Too many film makers today are asking "can I do this?" instead of "should I do this?"
Restrictions breed creativity. Certain artists thrive with constraints.

Penguin

I will say this for WB even their disaster give me a bit of joy, hardly ever forgettable messes

And then they have those gems every now and then

Busty

Banned
Guy Ritchie's King Arthur wasn't great, it was tonally odd
Chinese George
with superfluous set pieces and, as a whole, it does quite hang together right but I still ended up quite liking it.

kswiston

A month old Deadline article about complications involved with California tax credits for films put the budget of the Baywatch movie at $80M. As such, it does need a decent box office take to break even.

WW is the summer's most anticipated blockbuster:
Warner Bros.'s Wonder Woman is this summer's most anticipated blockbuster according to Fandango's 2017 Summer Movies survey. The Gal Gadot-led film comes in first, followed by Spider-Man: Homecoming, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, The Dark Tower, and Dunkirk. The survey was conducted April 27 through May 19, getting responses from over 10,000 Fandango users.

“It's a thrill to see Wonder Woman command the top spot on our most anticipated summer movies list,” said Fandango Managing Editor Erik Davis. “Early screening reactions are positive, with audiences responding favorably to the film's exciting blend of action, adventure, humor and romance. Plus, fans have been waiting their entire lives to see a live-action Wonder Woman movie, and the film’s breakout star Gal Gadot makes it worth the wait.”

In a seperate survey, 92% of those polled said they were "excited to see a standalone female superhero movie" and that 87% "wish Hollywood would make more movies featuring female superheroes." According to Fandango, Wonder Woman presales are exceeding those of 2011's Captain America: First Avenger.

kswiston

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was back on top yesterday with $3,597,323

That's a pretty solid third Monday for GotG2. Civil War made $3,020,789 on the same Monday. It's also higher than Iron Man 3 and Age of Ultron on that third Monday.

Canadian Victoria Day would have provided a bit of a bump to Monday's total, so Tuesday will probably be more or less flat.

Alien Covenant made $3,323,184 on Monday. Third place was actually King Arthur at a bit more than $925k. The Box office is pretty dead outside of the Top 2.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca

That's a pretty solid third Monday for GotG2. Civil War made $3,020,789 on the same Monday. It's also higher than Iron Man 3 and Age of Ultron on that third Monday.

Canadian Victoria Day would have provided a bit of a bump to Monday's total, so Tuesday will probably be more or less flat.

Alien Covenant made $3,323,184 on Monday. Third place was actually King Arthur at a bit more than $925k. The Box office is pretty dead outside of the Top 2.
Was just looking at that, higher than anything else MCU but Avengers 1.
Guess it'll have some decent legs after all (although that was probably clear with it having a better 3rd weekend than CW and not that far off from IM3's and AoU's despite opening notably lower that those 3)

kswiston

1 billion guaranteed!!

It is weird that this is coming out after GotG2 launched, but here's a list from Fandango last year on May 3rd

http://blog.peopleschoice.com/2016/05/03/most-anticipated-summer-movies-2016-fandango/

Most Anticipated Summer Action Movie:

1. Captain America: Civil War
2. Independence Day: Resurgence
3. Jason Bourne
4. X-Men: Apocalypse
5. Suicide Squad

ID4R ended up the lowest grossing film on that list by over $50M. Suicide Squad made over 3x as much as ID4R domestically. These polls don't mean a ton.

Man Guardians is having some really good holds. Goes to show the general public is really enjoying it

Schlorgan

It is weird that this is coming out after GotG2 launched, but here's a list from Fandango last year on May 3rd

http://blog.peopleschoice.com/2016/05/03/most-anticipated-summer-movies-2016-fandango/

Most Anticipated Summer Action Movie:

1. Captain America: Civil War
2. Independence Day: Resurgence
3. Jason Bourne
4. X-Men: Apocalypse
5. Suicide Squad

ID4R ended up the lowest grossing film on that list by over $50M. Suicide Squad made over 3x as much as ID4R domestically. These polls don't mean a ton.
I'll take that WW thing with a grain of salt then.

Pirates 5: "at least" $80M 4-day (mentions budget is $230M, but after 4, who knows)
Baywatch: $40M 5-day
Who the heck greenlit that budget?

kswiston

First trade projections are in: http://www.latimes.com/business/hol...ctor-pirates-baywatch-20170523-htmlstory.html

Pirates 5: "at least" $80M 4-day (mentions budget is $230M, but after 4, who knows)
Baywatch: $40M 5-day

Pirates will likely miss $200M domestic if the 4-day is $80M. That's basically what X-Men Apocalypse did last year. Even with some wiggle room to account for the frontloadedness of comic films, that sort of opening will maybe lead to $175M DOM.

I'll take that WW thing with a grain of salt then.

Who the heck greenlit that budget?

Disney initially claimed $250M for On Stranger Tides. We later found out that the film actually cost $379M after tax cuts, and $411M before tax cuts. Not counting marketing.

Top Bottom