• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

You definitely don't want to be on any vehicle with Leon unless it's a jetski.

324402.gif

Brhoom

Banned
It still boggles my mind how Capcom managed to make RE7 run on a base PS4 in VR, and have it look like that.

Heck, I'm still amazed with Revelations on the 3DS.

A 3DS lanuch year title and still unmatched to this day.

Gradon

Resident Evil 6 wasn't a terrible game.
Outbreak is the best spin off in the series.
CAPCOM NEED TO MAKE MERCENARIES CONSOLE.

Okay that's it from me for now.

Resident Evil truths huh?

The train in Resident Evil 0 is overrated as hell. It's essentially an extended, overly linear and overly tedious tutorial that classic RE games have never needed (RE2 does this much more elegantly and quickly with the raccoon city streets). The training facility mansion lite is the best part of the game.

Helena sucks. Like super sucks.

RE5 is the best coop game of. all. time.

Jawmuncher

RE2 is a pretty overrated title in my eyes. Feel like a big chunk of its popularity is from nostalgia and being a lot of people's first RE.

I don't feel the RPD and later sections are very interesting or laid out very well.
It's also way more action packed than people seem to recall.
Biggest positive is that it set a lot of memorable story elements.

BadWolf

Classic RE and action RE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> RE7

RE6 would be much better received if it was focused on Leon's campaign only.

I set up the DS4 to play on PC (been using a DS3 this whole time) and figured I'd try it with RE6 for a couple of min... ended up starting a new Leon playthrough and playing for hours yesterday.

The game just feels too damn good to play.

RE2 is a pretty overrated title in my eyes. Feel like a big chunk of its popularity is from nostalgia and being a lot of people's first RE.

I don't feel the RPD and later sections are very interesting or laid out very well.
It's also way more action packed than people seem to recall.
Biggest positive is that it set a lot of memorable story elements.

I don't really care about the story at all (apart from the gloriously insane police chief), so I can't say that's where the strength of RE2 is for me. I'd say its atmosphere and pacing are it's biggest strengths. It's got the best soundtrack of the series imo, and I love the spooky, desolate urban vibe and attention to detail in the station, and it's not quite as intricate as mansion, but it still flows well and moves at a quicker, more arcadey, actiony clip. It also has the best jump scares and stuff. And of course the scenario system is still pretty cool.

My RE main line review in a post RE7 world:
RE1 - 10/10
RE2 - 10/10
RE3 - 10/10
RE4 - 7.5/10
RE5 - 7.5/10
RE6 - 3.5/10
RE7 - 9/10

REmake - 10/10
RE 0 - 7.5/10

RE 6 being possibly one of the worst game I ever played.

BadWolf

I hope REmake 2 is so good that it makes the original irrelevant, like what REmake did with RE1.

RE3 definitely deserves to get a remake as well.

I hope REmake 2 is so good that it makes the original irrelevant, like what REmake did with RE1.

This statement is not a complete truth. The original RE1 still does a couple of things better. it has more diverging story paths, the soundtrack is better, I'd argue that the VA is better as well, (So bad it's good, vs. just bad in a boring way.) and it's faster paced. And of course there's the Director's Cut with it's Arranged Mode.

Jawmuncher

I don't really care about the story at all (apart from the gloriously insane police chief), so I can't say that's where the strength of RE2 is for me. I'd say its atmosphere and pacing are it's biggest strengths. It's got the best soundtrack of the series imo, and I love the spooky, desolate urban vibe and attention to detail in the station, and it's not quite as intricate as mansion, but it still flows well and moves at a quicker, more arcadey, actiony clip. It also has the best jump scares and stuff. And of course the scenario system is still pretty cool.

Yeah I can't say I liked any of the aspects. I hated the layout and atmosphere. Really the more action is the biggest positive I give. The scaenario stuff was a big negative for me as well since it just adds unneeded aspects, since only one route is canon.

As for the story, I was more referring that it set in stone a lot of the elements the series would use going forward

My RE main line review in a post RE7 world:
RE1 - 10/10
RE2 - 10/10
RE3 - 10/10
RE4 - 7.5/10
RE5 - 7.5/10
RE6 - 3.5/10
RE7 - 9/10

REmake - 10/10
RE 0 - 7.5/10

RE 6 being possibly one of the worst game I ever played.

RIP action

RE2 has a great style, great pacing, the best Soundtrack in the series, fun unlockables that are fun to unlock, great jump scares, fun characters and the different scenarios add replay value.

Here's the big issue and it's a huge one for me.

The game has no difficulty. Now you can say "The first area before the police station can be hard if it's your first time!" but those few minutes don't count.

BadWolf

This statement is not a complete truth. The original RE1 still does a couple of things better. it has more diverging story paths, the soundtrack is better, I'd argue that the VA is better as well, (So bad it's good, vs. just bad in a boring way.) and it's faster paced. And of course there's the Director's Cut with it's Arranged Mode.

It may have some good points sure but overall there is no reason to recommend anyone to play RE1 over REmake.

People can check RE1 out due to nostalgia or curiosity but that's about it.

REmake is pretty much the gold standard for how to properly remake a game.

I'm glad I played the original RE, and it's different enough to warrant its own playthrough, but I'll probably just revisit REmake for my RE1 fix since I prefer it in pretty much every way.

Here's the big issue and it's a huge one for me.

The game has no difficulty. Now you can say "The first area before the police station can be hard if it's your first time!" but those few minutes don't count.

Yeah that's my biggest beef too. It's fine for your first time through if you're new to the classic style (it was my first), but the lack of harder difficulties is for sure a bummer.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Honestly, RE3 did a much better job in exploring the "city infested with zombies" setting than RE2 did. In RE2 you only get glimpses of Raccoon City in its first 5 minutes, the rest of the game is indoors(RPD,sewers,lab).

I hope this is fixed in REmake 2

Eh I liked that RE2 made you feel like you were isolated in the bigger city, with the opening giving context to the broader chaos around you. It also sets it apart from RE3, so I don't think REmake 2 needs to add much more of that if they (hopefully) remake 3 as well.

BadWolf

Things also might depend on what style they go for.

If it's classic RE then it will probably be more faithful to the original and add new areas here and there ala REmake.

If it's action RE then I could see it having more open areas.

Jawmuncher

I actually disagree about the difficulty for RE2, mainly in the bosses. They touch you and can kill you quick outside the last boss where you should be easily loaded up.

I actually disagree about the difficulty for RE2, mainly in the bosses. They touch you and can kill you quick outside the last boss where you should be easily loaded up.

The final boss of Scenario A can get a bit tricky and even dangerous if he manages to stunlock you. Mr. X's final form in B is very aggressive, but he doesn't do all that much damage and he goes down fast. Also, like you said, you should have tons of healing items at that point.

All the other bosses are a joke. Slow, shambling masses of meat. They can do a lot of damage, but they should never get to you, unless you suddenly forgot how to move your character.

Mr_Zombie

Resident Evil truths huh?

The train in Resident Evil 0 is overrated as hell. It's essentially an extended, overly linear and overly tedious tutorial that classic RE games have never needed (RE2 does this much more elegantly and quickly with the raccoon city streets).

I don't think anyone ever prised the train section for its gameplay, it was always more about the visuals (moving train, wind blowing curtains, rain outside) that to this day look very impressive (and they looked awesome back in the GameCube days). The gameplay part was meh, it suffered from forced backtracking, forced characters switching, tight corridors and small rooms, awful boss fight etc.

As for my RE truth: RE0 has the worst story out of all canon RE games; yes, even Survivor is better since at least that game has good and depressing backstory (the whole Umbrella prison camp and the failed escape plan) and interesting idea with an interesting plot twist. RE0 has nothing, characters have no motivation since they know nothing about what's going on and have no connection with the villains, the game fails as a prequel, fails at logic, and it also isn't even good at adding to the Umbrella's history since most (all?) notes lack full dates.

Jawmuncher

I don't think anyone ever prised the train section for its gameplay, it was always more about the visuals (moving train, wind blowing curtains, rain outside) that to this day look very impressive (and they looked awesome back in the GameCube days). The gameplay part was meh, it suffered from forced backtracking, forced characters switching, tight corridors and small rooms, awful boss fight etc.

As for my RE truth: RE0 has the worst story out of all canon RE games; yes, even Survivor is better since at least that game has good and depressing backstory (the whole Umbrella prison camp and the failed escape plan) and interesting idea with some plot twist. RE0 has nothing, characters have no motivation since they know nothing about what's going on and have no connection with the villains, the gsme fails as a prequel, fails at logic, and it also isn't even good at adding to the Umbrella history, since most (all?) notes lack full dates.

As dumb as it would've been. RE0 just being Billy and Rebecca in a prototype mansion would've made for a better story. Just the two unlikely duo being forced in and having to work together to get out. There should've been a better progression of uncertainty between the two before "We're good". Since I do agree that the whole Birkin, Wesker, and other people in the story don't add anything outside enemies to fight or reasons something happen.

As for my RE truth: RE0 has the worst story out of all canon RE games; yes, even Survivor is better since at least that game has good and depressing backstory (the whole Umbrella prison camp and the failed escape plan) and interesting idea with an interesting plot twist. RE0 has nothing, characters have no motivation since they know nothing about what's going on and have no connection with the villains, the game fails as a prequel, fails at logic, and it also isn't even good at adding to the Umbrella's history since most (all?) notes lack full dates.

Resident Evil Zero more like Resident Evil Has Zero Going For It

Except the pretty graffix. I even fooled myself into getting the admittedly high quality remaster but still couldn't muster the will to finish it

Those HD backdrops tho, REmake HD deserved that attention more though

Mr_Zombie

I think RE0 is the only game where the main plot happens without involvement of the main heroes. If you exclude every cut-scene where the game switches to Wesker, Birkin and Marcus, you just have Rebecca and Billy wandering aimlessly around the train, mansion, church, and the plant until they finally confront Marcus at the end of the game (and only then they actually learn that he even exists).

kc44135

Here are my RE Truths, y'all: RE4 might be the best RE (surely, we can all agree on this, yes?), but 5 and 6 are also great action games. People who say they suck either don't like quality action games, or don't know what they're talking about. They ain't perfect, but they're damn good action games, and they have the best co-op in any games ever. Also, Mercs is sooo good!

That's probably true, but I hear people say that's all that's worth playing to the game, when I'd say it gets markedly better even if you no longer have the novelty and admittedly cool atmosphere of the train

Jawmuncher

Here are my RE Truths, y'all: RE4 might be the best RE (surely, we can all agree on this, yes?), but 5 and 6 are also great action games. People who say they suck either don't like quality action games, or don't know what they're talking about. They ain't perfect, but they're damn good action games, and they have the best co-op in any games ever. Also, Mercs is sooo good!

Truth

I like RE0. :(

I like RE0 as well. I like the Faux Coop thing it has going on. But it's story is not it's strong suit. Thankfully Billy and Rebecca as characters help it through.
Still say CVX is the worst one just because it has aged the worst and has more awkward mechanics and moments tied to it. Though CVX definitely aces past in the story.
Even with weak characters like Steve

It's one of the weakest RE games for sure, but I still like it. It's definitely worth playing at the very least for its atmosphere, especially if you pick it up on sale.

Resident Evil Deadly Silence is better than REmake.

RE2 is overall the weakest game in series, tied with CV.

Outbreak games sucked in pretty much every way and if not for the RE name would be long forgotten.

RE0 has best difficulty differences in the series.

No thanks, playing with two less inventory slots and no Barry Burton isn't an inviting prospect. Also Chris doesn't have a cool beret.

Sounds to me like you haven't even tried, you truly are the babiest of babies. And Barry is just a personification of the game going "Here, let me skip this part for you, my sweet child.".

RE2 is perfect. PERFECT I SAY.

Resident Evil Outbreak is kinda a garbage game. Great idea, terrible game that people excuse a chore ridden side objectives/items as interesting game play.

Resident Evil 4 is more nonsense than 5, and has markedly worse enemy design.

Leon isn't cool. Get over it.

H.U.N.K. needs his own, non edge lord title.

Those are my RE truths lol.

gelf

I played through RE0 recently and I quite enjoyed it, more so then back when it came out. It helps that its the one classic style RE that I don't know like the back of my hand so I didn't remember exactly where to go next. On release it was the latest in a very consistent line of similar games I'd played to death and felt bad by comparison, now its more refreshing.

It also helps I'm now completely over caring about the overall plot of the series and so all the stuff that makes no sense in Zero doesn't bother me anymore.

Resident Evil 4 is more nonsense than 5, and has markedly worse enemy design.

Leon isn't cool. Get over it.

Eh, it's all lovable nonsense. RE 4 starts out just as "horror" as RE 5 does until the Castle where it promptly loses its shit and all veneer of serious horror. RE 5 is pretty "grounded" all things considered (if you can call an RE game "grounded) until Wesker comes on the scene and then it too loses its shit:

In fact, it's more of a jarring tone shift in RE 5 than in RE 4. But it's Wesker, so it's easily forgiven.

And of course Leon isn't cool. He's just such a dork it's endearing as hell.

Luis: "Got a smoke?"

Leon: "Got gum..."

Salazar: "I've sent my right hand to dispose of you"

Leon: "Your right hand comes off?"

*Zombies jumping on car*

Leon: "At least the wipers work..."

*Over a clearly dying man*

Leon: "I guess scarecrows aren't exactly known for their rousing conversation"

Golnei

Leon presented as a more dour action hero isn't particularly compelling, but 4 managed to strike the right balance tonally - he's absolutely not intended to be perceived as unreservedly cool there, or at the very least; that's not why that incarnation of him is liked.

Exentryk

I am thinking of buying Resident Evil 7 on Steam. It currently is up for 40% off for the base version. There are also deluxe versions and season pass. What's in that? Should I just get the base version or is getting the season pass/deluxe version a better deal? Never played Res Evil games, so completely blind here. I did try the Kitchen demo and liked it. I love PT.

Top Bottom