• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Zombine

Banned
I think it's so cool that the industry is in a place where something as special as Young Animal and the Hannah-Barbera books can exist.

I think it's so cool that the industry is in a place where something as special as Young Animal and the Hannah-Barbera books can exist.

I've really been enjoying a lot of DC's output lately. And I was never big into DC when I was a kid because of how convoluted things seemed in the DCU.

tim1138

Yasssss

Oh wow! This I didn't know (but I did know they were both Canadian.)

Shade The Changing Girl ❤️

Oh awesome, I had no idea about that. I can't wait for Shade to be collected, it looks so good. I know Brandon Graham & Marian Churchland are married, and so are Corinna Bechko & Gabriel Hardman (Invisible Republic) but I had no idea about these guys.

Shade is the best, it's my favorite of all the YA books, and in my top 3 favorites period. Marley's line work is so clean and suitably trippy and Cecil Castellucci does an amazing job of capturing the essence of teenage alienation and peer pressure.

I did! I think it's really cool how close they are to Graham and Churchland

This Young Animal piece was posted by Bonvillain and I love it:

That Bonvillain piece was a poster given away with a 12" single by Gerard Way for Record Store Day. Sadly my shop was out by the time I could get there.

Zombine

Banned
I've really been enjoying a lot of DC's output lately. And I was never big into DC when I was a kid because of how convoluted things seemed in the DCU.

I spent my earliest years with DC; I inherited a ton of old Neil Adams Batman comics, Perez stuff (Wonder Woman, Teen Titans), and other things. I also have some fond memories of Marvel books, but my earliest love was all of the Justice League characters.

Shade is the best, it's my favorite of all the YA books, and in my top 3 favorites period. Marley's line work is so clean and suitably trippy and Cecil Castellucci does an amazing job of capturing the essence of teenage alienation and peer pressure.

Shade and Doom Patrol are right at the very top. I have a hard time picking between both but I loooooove them. I also love Marley's manga influences, and how she's very clearly inspired by Junji Ito.

mreddie

Never got into the DC stuff til Batman TAS. I mainly read the TAS stuff they would do and even had comics in my schools library but they were old as fuck. DC I'm still eh about sans Arrow and Batman.

No word of a lie, I don't think I ever read a dc comic properly until Batman and son. I had a random issue of superman red and blue as a kid and that was it. No familiarity or anything, 100% marvel. I do agree DC have a ton of great output right now though, and I've been getting deeper ever since the new 52. Now just that sandman/Gaiman imprint...

(I read Vertigo earlier though and some Wildstorm)

Shade is the best, it's my favorite of all the YA books, and in my top 3 favorites period. Marley's line work is so clean and suitably trippy and Cecil Castellucci does an amazing job of capturing the essence of teenage alienation and peer pressure..

You can't say this and not tell us what your actual top three favourite books are dude. Shade sounds great though, sounds like a pitch perfect concept

Messi

Bought my first Rebirth HC. All Star Batman : My Own Worst Enemy. I never read it post #1. Do they still do backups after vol 1 or no?

I notice the Champions are on the Legacy list. They going to reboot that with a different creative team? I love Mark Waid, but he's not the right fit.

It's sad, because this is the same thing that happened with another young, super-awesome team I had high hopes for.

0a33cd72424aef80eb37af03a9e52abf.jpg

Such a goddamn waste.

caliph95

Why are Mark Waids team books so boring, i wish they give some else the avengers or champions.

Also anything interesting happen

I notice the Champions are on the Legacy list. They going to reboot that with a different creative team? I love Mark Waid, but he's not the right fit.

It's sad, because this is the same thing that happened with another young, super-awesome team I had high hopes for.

Such a goddamn waste.
Remember when a character died from a fruit? Good times.

I can hardly remember anything about the first All-Star Batman arc after reading it in singles. Could never really get on board with the road trip idea and the ending left no impression on me. I've been enjoying Ends of the Earth a lot more though. I wasn't familiar with the artist but I loved the art in the Ivy issue. Just got #9 to go.

Zombine

Banned
Fearless Defenders will always be the biggest Marvel Now travesty. I feel blessed though, because if that came out now there wouldn't be enough material for a single trade.

caliph95

I can hardly remember anything about the first All-Star Batman arc after reading it in singles. Could never really get on board with the road trip idea and the ending left no impression on me. I've been enjoying Ends of the Earth a lot more though. I wasn't familiar with the artist but I loved the art in the Ivy issue. Just got #9 to go.
Something Two face blackmailing everybody, something something Duke's training arc i think is either this book or the main bat book and something something KDBeast

Messi

Tula Lotay is her name. She is wonderful.

Love my Tula print that Ed got for me 😍

give it baaaaack ;_;

For the last couple of years Mondo has been putting on a 200 dollar house party for SxSW. Basically you can get original art for 200 dollars from some of their artists. Got in line an hour before it started and all 6 Lotay pieces had already sold out :((

Sandfox

Such a goddamn waste.
Champions is basically Marvel's Teen Titans book. They need to make changes to it though.

Zombine

Banned
give it baaaaack ;_;

For the last couple of years Mondo has been putting on a 200 dollar house party for SxSW. Basically you can get original art for 200 dollars from some of their artists. Got in line an hour before it started and all 6 Lotay pieces had already sold out :((

Tula's art isn't very expensive on Cadence. You can get some originals there for the price of a video game.

Finished the second half of Sheriff of Babylon (#7-#12). Felt that issues 7, 8 and 9 were reasonably strong and were building some tension but it kind of fizzled out towards the end. Some of the "antagonists" felt like too much of a caricature. Still, better than v1 for me. Some great scenes in there.

Also read BKV's Batman collection. Like he mentioned in the foreword, it is a little rough and heavy handed at times but Matches Malone's story was fun and I really enjoyed the Mad Hatter issue's ending. The two WW issues were a bit weak though. There was one weird story at the end with some super-villain called Skeleton. Did that go anywhere?

I want to commission a drawing of Batman wearing Uggs. Not black, the standard tan ones. Maybe some Ray ban sunglasses and an iwatch too.

Here's a close approximation of Batman with Ray Bans.

Finished the second half of Sheriff of Babylon (#7-#12). Felt that issues 7, 8 and 9 were reasonably strong and were building some tension but it kind of fizzled out towards the end. Some of the "antagonists" felt like too much of a caricature. Still, better than v1 for me. Some great scenes in there.

Yea, I thought it was a stronger volume than the first which is what you want I guess. It's a cool book, interested to see where it goes next. I'd place it firmly behind The Vision and Omega Men, but as you say,some great scenes. I really liked Nassir throughout.

mreddie

Such a goddamn waste.

I read it on MU, it was boring as fuck. HOW DO YOU MAKE THE BEACH EPISODE BORING?

Such a goddamn waste.

If the team that did that one Monsters Unleashed issue take over full time, I'd be happy.

Top Bottom