• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Third Thor.

The book will introduce a third Thor to the franchise (“I get paid by the Thor,” Aaron quipped) called “the War Thor” – a new take on the idea of Ultimate Thor which is still a bit mysterious. The writer promised, “He’s someone you know and someone you’ve seen before. You do find out in issue #20 who it is. I’m not going to stretch it all out for seven issues again,” he said.

Nice.

Mafro

Wonder if the identity of the third Thor will be as obvious as female Thor was.

Nx5jT8O.jpg

The next arc of “Black Panther” will be called “Avengers of the New World,” and Stelfreeze talked about his role in designing a new life for Wakanda. “It’s the most fun I’ve had in comics, period,” he said, saying that he screwed up a bit by taking on such a high profile gig because “On the smaller books, the editors don’t hassle you.” The artist said he wants to stay involved with the series creatively for the long run, which for the moment means providing the covers.

He also did new designs for the gods of Wakanda – characters Black Panther feels have abandoned their nation in the new arc. Stelfreeze said he wanted to make the gods look “different, but very familiar” with the idea that all of Africa’s other nations ultimately took their art styles from the root of Wakandan culture.
Aww yiss.

shingi70

Banned
I hate to say this, but as good as Legacy looks I feel marvel has lost me as monthly reader. I truly don't mind being 6 mi the behind reading on Marvel Unlimited.

Oh man I really really enjoyed Shutter vol 1. The book is about a former child adventurer called Kate Kristopher, who retires after the death of her father. However, ten years later on her 27th birthday secrets that have been kept from her her whole life shake her reclusive life and reignite her exploration into the unknown. The book is just literally full of energy panel to panel and you never know what you're going to get when you turn the page. There's adventure, action, humour, moments of heartfelt sincerity, even moments of somewhat disturbing violence (although nothing excessive). All of it wrapped up in a strong exploration of family, legacy, the secrets kept within a family and the secrets families keep from each other, and despite really running the gamut of tones, it always feels cohesive and right. The cast is really fun and wacky and are a fun way to experience all of this, and it really feels like Keatinge is throwing everything and the kitchen sink into this. I love alarm cat!!

The art in the book is really great, and I mentioned that Keatinge pulls no punches going for broke, so it's a good thing Del Duca manages to carry it all and make it look effortless. I don't really want to spoil the content of the book too deeply but there's swashbuckling encounters, ghost ninjas, robot cats and skeletal butlers, explosions and Del Duca pulls it all off in this great balance of cartoony, detailed, energetic portrayals and layouts.

Overall, big thumbs up, I loved it. My only initial concern was that the lead character Kate might be written a little too *cute* with her dialogue, if that makes sense but this wasn't the case at all. She's a very well thought out character with a compelling personality and voice that matches,and I'd say that applies to everyone in the book.

Oh and I should probably say cheers. This wasn't a book I was initially planning on buying when I was making up my order recently, and it was really the recommendations and thoughts in here that got me to specifically add vol 1 and 2 in, so cheers for that. This was a really fun, exciting book.

Messi

Oh man I really really enjoyed Shutter vol 1. The book is about a former child adventurer called Kate Kristopher, who retires after the death of her father. However, ten years later on her 27th birthday secrets that have been kept from her her whole life shake her reclusive life and reignite her exploration into the unknown. The book is just literally full of energy panel to panel and you never know what you're going to get when you turn the page. There's adventure, action, humour, moments of heartfelt sincerity, even moments of somewhat disturbing violence. All of it wrapped up in a strong exploration of family, legacy, the secrets kept within a family and the secrets families keep from each other. The cast is really fun and wacky and are a fun way to experience all of this, and it really feels like Keatinge is throwing everything and the kitchen sink into this. I love alarm cat!!

The art in the book is really great, and I mentioned that Keatinge pulls no punches going for broke, so it's a good thing Del Duca manages to carry it all and make it look effortless. I don't really want to spoil the content of the book too deeply but there's swashbuckling encounters, ghost ninjas, robot cats and skeletal butlers, explosions and Del Duca pulls it all off in this great balance of cartoony, detailed, energetic portrayals and layouts.

Overall, big thumbs up, I loved it. My only initial concern was that the lead character Kate might be written a little too *cute* with her dialogue, if that makes sense but this wasn't the case at all. She's a very well thought out character with a compelling personality and voice that matches,and I'd say that applies to everyone in the book.

What did you think of the pages with the hitman driving the apple car?

Both sides would make bank if they pulled of a Spider-Man type deal, but Disney and Fox hate each other from what I remember.

I also don't think FOX has a great understanding of superhero movies. Or sci-fi for that matter. Those are the kind of things FOX usually mishandles terribly.

What did you think of the pages with the hitman driving the apple car?

Oh man, that was a fantastic two pages, and a great example of the mix of tones and ideas. Those two pages are as equally funny in their ridiculousness as they are dark and depressing underneath. And then you turn the page and the book is off onto the next thing. They do a great job at keeping it snappy and light and exciting, but then there's that jab to remind you..this is kind of a dark story and not right at all. It has it's cake and eats it to great effect.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I also don't think FOX has a great understanding of superhero movies. Or sci-fi for that matter. Those are the kind of things FOX usually mishandles terribly.
Constantin has just to go back from the deal with Fox. And since Constantin was a couple of months ago on the verge of a implosion, there is a chance that they can sell the rights back/make a deal

Read some comics. Decided to read Spencer's Fascist but Totally Not a Nazi Cap that leads up to Secret Empire so I could complain about it properly.

There's some neat ideas here and there, but mostly, the writing is average and the approach is tone deaf. Spencer is really aware that people criticize Fascist but Totally Not a Nazi Cap and he tries address it over and over again but what he does is display his lack of actual understanding regarding actions and consequences.

Regarding the inclusion of politics in his work, I'd say his understanding there is roughly the equivalent of three quarters of a Bernie Bro.

Art wise, there are rotating artists so its relatively consistent. I don't have too much else to say about them on this title other than I disliked a lot of chosen color palettes.

I also read Civil War 2. Marquez and Ponsor put in work but I suspect we will mostly forget about this event like Fear Itself

Only thing more predictable than Frank Cho being a sexist moron is Freeza throwing a fit and missing the point regarding the criticism.

Zombine

Banned
Its way easier and less impactful than you think. Once you break the cycle

Yeah it's not too bad. I typically read at my own pace now. It's better that way.

Sometime I also enjoy doing is catching up on a particular run. Nothing like grabbing the last 5 issues of a book you like and binging.

Totally forgot how much fun comic book stuff is hitting my city this summer. The local Comic-Con is coming up, I met Jae Lee last year and told him how much I loved Inhumans after reading it. Really nice guy.

I also walked past a comic shop I never knew about the other day, and they had a big poster up reminding me that Free Comic Book Day is only a couple of weeks away! Last year was the first one I participated in, it was a really enjoyable time. Any big goodies I should be looking out for this year? Any exclusive figures and whatnot?

Zombine

Banned
Please guys, read Alien: Dead Orbit. If you're an Alien fan you owe it to yourself to buy it this Wednesday. Stokoe has proven that he gets genre films.

Please guys, read Alien: Dead Orbit. If you're an Alien fan you owe it to yourself to buy it this Wednesday. Stokoe has proven that he gets genre films.

I'll buy the trade. Stokoe is fucking awesome, and I love Alien. Plus, in some far of future, maybe we line his pockets enough he does more Orc Stain pages.

Did y'all know Stokoe is married to Marley Zarcone?

Oh awesome, I had no idea about that. I can't wait for Shade to be collected, it looks so good. I know Brandon Graham & Marian Churchland are married, and so are Corinna Bechko & Gabriel Hardman (Invisible Republic) but I had no idea about these guys.

Top Bottom