• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NAMCO-BANDAI, SEGA and others shifting focus towards Wii/DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoxavean

Banned
I'm sure their just gonna unload their horrible, poor selling titles on the Wii and put all their huge franchises on the market loser, the PS3.

Sounds more like a dying dream than anything. :lol

quetz67 said:
you got it!

the question is if you prefer those 15 games or the one BIG one

Quite frankly though the PS3/360 *need* those titles to survive, they would get smoked out of the console race if they didn't have them.

For Nintendo, at this point, it's almost pretty much gravy. They'll get some good 3rd party support, probably even some major stuff from Square-Enix and what not, but it's more about keeping a steady flow of releases for them now.

neoxavean said:
I'm sure their just gonna unload their horrible, poor selling titles on the Wii and put all their huge franchises on the market loser, the PS3.

Sounds more like a dying dream than anything. :lol
Gotta hold out hope somehow.

Zer0

Banned
the question here is ,all these "incoming games" from these developers will be the same crap wii is getting now?

Zer0 said:
the question here is ,all these "incoming games" from these developers will be the same crap wii is getting now?

3rd party support in general can always be a crap shoot. There are 1000 games on the Playstation or something like that, of that maybe 10% are worth owning (and that's being generous). That means 90% of the library is average to mediocre to terrible. Any system that gets a lot of support, will also unfortunately get a lot of crap.

But like the DS, the quality of the 3rd party stuff on the Wii will improve over time. It will have to otherwise, there's no way 3rd party devs will be able to compete with Nintendo, and even Square-Enix and EA who are formidable large developers that will likely support the Wii strongly too.

Also, video games are still a business, and like any business have to accountable. What are these companies going to tell their shareholders why they have none of the Wii market (especailly the Japanese publishers). That's not going to be an question they're going to want to have to answer.

Well that about wraps it up for the DS. It was a good run while it lasted though.
Yes it was, sorry nintendo fans you are talking BS here the ds has been outselling the psp for like ever and Sega has kept on releasing PSP games like a lot so its just stupid to assume they suddenly shifted focus.

*slaps forehead*
You realize how long it takes to make/allocate funds for/even greenlight a concept, don't you?
And that's why i said its speculation at the moment none of these publishers have said/announced anything for all we know "focus" could be porting last gen games.

quetz67

Banned
Zer0 said:
I think the most will, doubling amount of games can easily translate into reducing effort put into every single game by factor 2

This isnt Wii trolling, I think there will be great games on Wii, they probably just are one out of fifteen too. Doesnt change the fact that a majority will buy the console with the most games whatever quality they have.

StevieP

Banned
[In the year 2000....] Man, considering how much horrible crap was on the PS1, I certainly hope the PS2 doesn't win this gen. Developers putting out that much crap on the winning console can't be that good for the gaming industry. [/In the year 2000....]

I don't know, I think the stuff being announced is already getting better.

NiGHTS 2, Rygar, Soul Calibur Legends, Zak & Wiki, and Manhunt 2, etc. aren't more interesting than the Wii 3rd party stuff that came out last year/earlier this year?

The next wave of announcements will have even better stuff I would reckon. Just like the DS, it'll just get better and better. If that makes you bitter boo f-cking hoo, there was no rule that the Sony/MS have to have every interesting 3rd party game (nor, quite frankly, do they deserve it with their incompetence).

There's enough 3rd party loving to go around for all three console makers.

ksamedi

:lol Some people on this thread just cant accept Nintendo is the new leader now. It isnt all that bad you know, a lot of the franchises became popular on NES and SNES. The same will happen to Wii. A lot of big games will be made for the Wii that are fresh and sell a lot more than your average PS3 or 360 game. Its just the way the industry works. After the PS1 and PS2 no publisher would want games to cost more and sell to a smaller userbase. Even western publishers are all over Nintendo now, why? Because thats the console thats going to help them grow not shrink.

cvxfreak

*travels back to 2005*

Hey guys, I hear the DS is gonna continue to receive crap games from 3rd parties! Doubt we'll ever see the likes of Dragon Quest IX on it, even if it continues to win the handheld war!

ziran

quetz67 said:
I read this as "More garbage on Wii, only the huge, good selling titles will be on PS3"
The first part is inevitable in the beginning, but the quality will improve, however I can't see the second part happening.

A developer cannot continue to make huge PS3 games while shifting resources to Wii. This news most likely means a reduction of PS3/360 team sizes creating scaled back projects while people are moved to Wii games. Which, to be honest, I can't see being good for anyone for a while. Rushed, cut down PS3/360 games and rushed Wii games all sound very unappealing to me.

RiskyChris said:
Either Wii gets all the support or 360/PS3 gets all the support.

My real prediction for the remainder of the generation is healthy western releases for 360 (eastern/western developed doesn't matter), with a majority support on Wii
Spider_Jerusalem said:
Sony may continue to tell everyone that they don't see Nintendo as a direct competitor, but when developers are shifting their resources from your platforms to Nintendo's, well this "non-competitor" is hurting you bad.
I agree.

Size of user base is always key to selling the most games. If a developer budgeted $20 million for a PS3 game, they could spend the same amount on 5 Wii games, including a big RE4 type title. The PS3 game might sell 1 million worldwide, but the 5 Wii games have the potential of more than doubling this figure. Financially, developing on Wii is going to make more and more sense as its user base grows.

starship said:
All of those games were new IPs someday and usually created for the most popular consoles. What happens if all developers want to put their new ideas and IPs on the Wii?
Exactly. The spin offs/new games could become bigger sellers because they're innovative and released on a system with a bigger installed base.

devilscallmedad said:
doesn't seem like any of the publisher's said it, just some random journalist assuming stuff which may or may not happen.
The IGDA Japan (International Game Developers Association) said developers were shifting their focus to Wii last month.

PS3 is being slaughtered in Japan and its sw sales are terrible, worse than Wii's for the equivalent titles (in stature). Even Gundam Musou, a potentially million selling title combining two huge franchises, has sold under 300K! Massively increased dev costs so you can sell significantly less than you would last gen is a shit business model.

Zer0 said:
Like soundwave said, support will improve with time. My guess is games with short dev times (including shovelware) are being developed with an asap release, while, better games and bigger team projects are being started now, but we won't see them for a year or so, with a late 2008/2009 release date.

EDIT-
ksamedi said:
:lol Some people on this thread just cant accept Nintendo is the new leader now. It isnt all that bad you know, a lot of the franchises became popular on NES and SNES. The same will happen to Wii. A lot of big games will be made for the Wii that are fresh and sell a lot more than your average PS3 or 360 game. Its just the way the industry works. After the PS1 and PS2 no publisher would want games to cost more and sell to a smaller userbase. Even western publishers are all over Nintendo now, why? Because thats the console thats going to help them grow not shrink.
Exactly.

ksamedi said:
Hardware leader, sure
Software leader :lol come back when Resident Evil 5, GTA 4, MGS4, DMC4 is on the Wii.

Vagabundo

quetz67 said:
yeah we know what will happen in Nintendominationdreamland

and even if we will see the Nintendo one console future, only the most stupid can actually wish that will happen

Why is that? I only own a Wii, why should I care if games are released PS3 or X360?

One console future suits me this gen, more titles, cheaper second hand market. I always have the PC to fall back on if things go sour in console land.

StevieP

Banned
devilscallmedad said:
Hardware leader, sure
Software leader :lol come back when Resident Evil 5, GTA 4, MGS4, DMC4 is on the Wii.

We'll come back when their sequels are announced for the Wii. But thanks.

I always have the PC to fall back on to eventually obtain all of the 360's best games.

Fixed.

devilscallmedad said:
Hardware leader, sure

Only one of those franchises -- GTA still has a lot of gas left in the tank, and we'll see I guess if GTA4 can replicate the impact/success of the PS2 GTA games.

Hey ... if you guys brought up the Mario/Zelda/Mario Kart/Nintendo are old news franchises five years ago ... well ... the tables have turned. That arguement is a definite 2-way street now.

I want to see want new franchises Konami, Capcom, Take 2, etc. come up with in the next 5 years.

devilscallmedad said:
Hardware leader, sure

How many times have we heard the same thing ? I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying it's getting boring.

quetz67

Banned
What I find most unnerving on GAF is this black and white thinking.

If the Wii is a success then it is a complete success and all other consoles are doomed

or

Wii will get lots of games but all games will be crap.

etc.

Did any of you ever thought of:

Wii will be a success, it will get loads of crap games and lots of great games too

or

PS3 and 360 will get less support in the future, but they will still get hundreds of games, great ones and crap too.

Andrew2

Banned
soundwave05 said:
We'll see. I think Dragon Quest X will have something else to say about that too.

I don't think the Wii will steal projects away from the PS3/360, but it's not going to be sitting at the "kiddy table", as you put it, for much longer either.

There can be a medium between having Playstation level support (where you have every 3rd party game) and Dreamcast/GameCube levels. The Wii will probably be right dab in the middle somewhere when it's all said and done.

A lot of the franchises that the PS3/360 have like Tekken 6, Virtua Fighter 5, etc. are really in major decline to boot. There's going to be increased pressure on devs like Namco, Capcom, Konami, Sega, etc. to come up with new franchises.

Take Tekken and VF out of the mix. The thought that Tekken and VF massive amounts of income and recoup the investment from sales of arcade machines for both Namco and SEGA pretty much say they'll be around for a very long time to me.

Other than that I don't see where they are declining...maybe from the POV of a console-only gamer, but anybody that knows the business side of the arcade business and know the impact games like Tekken and VF has on SEGA and Namco would beg to differ.

Right now the only franchise that I actually see one the decline....Soul Calibur....the very fact arcades seem to be ordering less of the game while overpopulating their arcades with tekken machines in its place pretty much say so...

quetz67 said:
What I find most unnerving on GAF is this black and white thinking.

If the Wii is a success then it is a complete success and all other consoles are doomed

or

Wii will get lots of games but all games will be crap.

etc.

Did any of you ever thought of:

Wii will be a success, it will get loads of crap games and lots of great games too

or

PS3 and 360 will get less support in the future, but they will still get hundreds of games, great ones and crap too.

That's your own paranoia, I don't see any one saying that.

It was the same thing with the DS, some people on this board freaked out when it took off swearing up and down the apocalypse was here, traditional gaming was dead to Nintendo, why would they ever make another Mario (lol) or Zelda when they could just make Brain Training, etc. etc. etc.

That is black & white thinking. The same reasoning as "well the PS3/360 must have all the great support and under no cirumstances can the Wii have any good 3rd party stuff".

quetz67

Banned
Vagabundo said:
Why is that? I only own a Wii, why should I care if games are released PS3 or X360?
You should not. But maybe you care if Nintendo ever makes a new console or tries to be innovative again if they dont need to

Sure, till then enjoy your last gen ports and keep quiet.

How many times have we heard the same thing ? I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying it's getting boring.
Some of these people just need being brought back to earth, ZOMG we are getting boogie next-gen am cry.

Let me know how they play in a couple of months/years.
Will do, PMs fine by you?

Busty

Banned
StevieP said:
For shit's sake, if you're going to use stupid clichéd terms to describe the 2 more powerful consoles of this *current* generation, at least use the "HD" lingo, instead of the ridiculous generalization of what constitutes a console generation.

:lol - No. I won't.

Now that I know, judging by your reply to my throw away comment, that such things burn like acid in your veins I won't adhere to it at all.

I really hope that you don't this worked up over things what does or does not define a console 'generation'. Seriously.

StevieP said:

Get a massage son, rly. You'll feel so much better and relaxed.

quetz67

Banned
soundwave05 said:
That's your own paranoia, I don't see any one saying that.
take guys like that tikiklabingapat, they honestly believe PS3 will have worse games support than the GC had. for them the Wii domination is complete, PS3 is dead already, 360 will be on life support from now on.

quetz67

Banned
Hammer24 said:
Dude, they don´t sell a lot if there is no installed base to speak of!
the 360/PS3 installed base is at 15M and still higher than the Wii installed base. And the question will be 'make a Wii game' or 'make a 360/PS3 game' with the option of 'make a PS3/360 game with a watered down Wii port'

For all these 3 options the userbase is already big enough

option 4, make a Wii game and do some crappy PS3/360 port is there too, but I dont care about those

Honestly I'm not shedding any tears for Sony/MS. If they had performed to expectations we probably would be looking at PS4/XBox 720 starting at $500-$600, and $700+ for the "non-tard" SKUs with seperate, incompatible content/movie download subscription services.

They're both incompetent and they both really have done nothing to deserve the level of 3rd party support they've gotten to begin with, so what if devs are choosing to give some love somewhere else? It's about time developers dropped the "black sheep" mentality of ignoring major platforms anyway (Dreamcast, Saturn, and GameCube say hi).

quetz67

Banned
All I would shed tears for are games that would have made a great PS3/360 game but are cancelled for those and instead get some watered down Wii exclusive version.

I am confident these will be close to none, if any at all.

cryptic

I think the majority of people who are rejecting Wii's rise to power are looking at the software for Wii and DS.The majority of the games released thus far for both of these systems have been mainly either throw backs or games with gimmicks (Phoenix Wright,Brain-Age,Cooking Mama,etc.)These titles, in comparison with those announced for and released for the PS3 and 360 lack that epic sense of scale and adventure element that many have come to like. So people presume with the Wii, developers will adopt that
gimmicky gameplay style and abandon the aforementioned epic adventure. But the fact of the matter is, it is up to the developer to decide the gameplay style, and it is inevitable that we will see "epic" games on the Wii. I just hope, along with others I presume, that those type of games aren't few and far apart in the lifespan of the Wii.

(Haven't gotten much sleep.)

AniHawk

quetz67 said:
All I would shed tears for are games that would have made a great PS3/360 game but are cancelled for those and instead get some watered down Wii exclusive version.

Well if anything, the Wii would make them better. Because they'd be on the Wii.

quetz67 said:

I am confident these will be close to none, if any at all.

So there's no problem. The Wii will get plenty of great 3rd party stuff as time goes on also. You just won't have the "bragging rights" of saying your console of choice is no.1, but that's about it.

cryptic said:
I think the majority of people who are rejecting Wii's rise to power are looking at the software for Wii and DS.The majority of the games released thus far for both of these systems have been mainly either throw backs or games with gimmicks (Phoenix Wright,Brain-Age,Cooking Mama,etc.)These titles, in comparison with those announced for and released for the PS3 and 360 lack that epic sense of scale and adventure element that many have come to like. So people presume with the Wii, developers will adopt that
gimmicky gameplay style and abandon the aforementioned epic adventure. But the fact of the matter is, it is up to the developer to decide the gameplay style, and it is inevitable that we will see "epic" games on the Wii. I just hope, along with others I presume, that those type of games aren't few and far apart in the lifespan of the Wii.

(Haven't gotten much sleep.)

I dunno know how much that really even applies, since the DS really is probably the best overall Nintendo platform since the SNES, Brain Training, Cooking Mama and all.

The Wii should be a little better off than that even because it figures to get better Western 3rd party support. Western devs just don't support handheld gaming as much.

Hammer24

Banned
quetz67 said:
the 360/PS3 installed base is at 15M and still higher than the Wii installed base. And the question will be 'make a Wii game' or 'make a 360/PS3 game' with the option of 'make a PS3/360 game with a watered down Wii port'

For all these 3 options the userbase is already big enough

option 4, make a Wii game and do some crappy PS3/360 port is there too, but I dont care about those

It is the same in every industry: you put your ressources (and focus) where the money is. Recent trends show without a question, that the money will be on the Wii. And the development on the Wii is even cheaper.
So, if the recent sales trends continue over this holiday season, you will see the A-Teams work on Wii games, with watered-down ports to 360/PS3. Just think of Rayman Raving Rabbids and Ratatouille.

Chao

devilscallmedad said:
Hardware leader, sure

Dragon Quest IX on DS laughs at you in OMGEXCLUSIVEGAMESNOTPOSSIBLEONCRAPPYSYSTEMS terms.

If that's happening right now, I wouldn't be surprised if any of those games were announced for the Wii.

legend166

Who would have thought a year ago that next-gen fanboys (I can't even believe they exist) would have to rely on combining the PS3 and 360 install base, just to try and beat the Wii?

Oh well, they won't even be able to use that excuse by the end of 08.

quetz67

Banned
soundwave05 said:
So there's no problem. The Wii will get plenty of great 3rd party stuff as time goes on also. You just won't have the "bragging rights" of saying your console of choice is no.1, but that's about it.
no I dont think there is a problem, I think Wii, PS3 and 360 owners can all be happy with their choices, for me there isnt one anyway as a PS3, PC and future Wii owner.

Some Wii owner might one day realize they still care about graphics or other innovations not possible on Wii. They probably have to wait a few years until the can afford one of the consoles offering that.

Some PS3/360 owner will probably realize they want Wiimote control too or some of the games exclusive to that console. They probably dont have the problem of affording a Wii, maybe just the problem of adjusting their eyes to last gen graphics again.

MGS4, GTA4, etc. are not coming to the Wii.

That said, both of those devs could very easily make a brand new Metal Gear Wii or GTA Wii title that are specifically made for the controller/console. They both have teams that made very good MG and GTA titles for the PSP, there's no reason the Wii can't get in on some of those franchises.

I would say at this point, the Wii has earned the right to be considered for projects like that.

ORANGUTAN said:
Whatever..

Until series' / games like..

Devil May Cry 4
Lost Planet
Dead Rising
Resident Evil 5
Virtua Fighter 5
Condemned 2
SEGA Rally Revo
Tekken 6
Soul Calibur IV
Ace Combat 6
Culdcept Saga
Eternal Sonata
etc..

are canned / and or moved to that other console, I really don't give a shit.

ORANGUTAN said:
Like what? "If" indeed..

ORANGUTAN said:
Trust me when I say, you'll be waiting a very, very long time.

You could have saved yourself a lot of time by just posting "HEY GUYS I THINK THE WII IS SHIT!". It's a good tip for the internet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom