• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World becomes F2P with Secret World Legends

Malrend

I hope that with the changes to combat we'll see some changes to the various "weapon styles". I absolutely adored some of the auxiliary weapons, but they felt extraordinarily limited.. And I wouldn't mind seeing them being expanded upon.

Nonetheless, I'll definitely return at the relaunch, if for no other reason than to experience the changes (and probably get that last Illumi-naughty character through the story)..

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Andddd the website is down. Come on Funcom.

*Tons* of people accessing it, not their fault lol. When I logged in there were people who said they hadn't been logged on for months and just wanted to check the community reactions, so I think a lot of people are interested in what the relaunch will be.

tci

Will check it out. Wasn't big into MMO's when this first launched. Now I have played multiple since then and might as well try this one also now as it is f2p.

edit: This is definitely a reaction to their success with Conan Exiles.

It's weird, because it's a relaunch, but it's not?

Secret World Legends is a new-ish thing, using all the content from the old thing. But the old thing will stay around, it just won't be updated anymore.

Legends feels like a result of Conan Exiles doing so well.

I remember the E3 trailer for The Secret World and wanted to play it but, never got around to it. I liked the world they built.

See, this is the thing. I am surprised they lasted this long as a subscription based game. I think it's literally too late to become a free to play game, it's been almost 5 years since it's official release. Then again some games that were subs for years became free just fine so that might be just me. However not hearing about any compensation for the people who have been playing for years and technically might have to start basically from scratch (?) sounds like some bullshit.

EDIT: Not subscription, I meant buy to play, it hasn't been a sub for awhile, whoops.

Secret World Legends is a new-ish thing, using all the content from the old thing. But the old thing will stay around, it just won't be updated anymore.

That was lost on me because on Steam at least the entire original The Secret World store page has been replaced with Secret World Legends already. http://store.steampowered.com/app/215280/

Even the old community hub and stuff are seemingly replaced too http://steamcommunity.com/app/215280/discussions/ I guess people that are already playing the original can continue playing the original though.

derFeef

I guess it's a way to not alienate/lose old players and make them angry - also a second "income" for them since classic TSW won't be buyable anymore but the item store could still exist. I like this approach very much.

I remember the E3 trailer for The Secret World and wanted to play it but, never got around to it. I liked the world they built.

See, this is the thing. I am surprised they lasted this long as a subscription based game. I think it's literally too late to become a free to play game, it's been almost 5 years since it's official release. Then again some games that were subs for years became free just fine so that might be just me. However not hearing about any compensation for the people who have been playing for years and technically might have to start basically from scratch (?) sounds like some bullshit.

It is not a subscription based game for years. It's buy once - play forever. You needed to buy new content though.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Looking forward to seeing impressions of the beta. The fact that they are emphasizing "action RPG" and not using the term "MMO" anywhere in the marketing makes me think it might have a very different feel from the original.

Yeah it's all kind of strange.

derFeef

That's what they're doing with the relaunch, sounds like they're making it more Action-RPG'y

I would not hold my breath for a total revamp. To me it sounds like they will simplify a lot of skills, make synergies easier and not make you read an hour to find new skills synergies. (I somehow liked that). I am not sure Dreamworld supports a better animation system to make combat more meaty and weighty.

Nishastra

Banned
Huh. I figured TSW was just dead.

I'm actually rather excited at the prospect of playing it through again.

Combat was always the game's weakest point (particularly animations), but I liked the skill system once you had enough stuff unlocked.

Game has the best atmosphere and some of the coolest quests ever in an MMO.

But the combat animations, skill tree's, and the traditional MMO gateways (level curve late game, gear grind, attuning, etc..) held it back severely. This was one of those games where if you spec'd the wrong skills, you were seriously disadvantaged in the content.

Going b2p was great too but having to buy new story content just didn't make sense to me. Completely f2p is the best model for a game whose biggest strength is the story and atmosphere. I'll definitely give this a shot.

Mithos

But the combat animations, skill tree's, and the traditional MMO gateways (level curve late game, gear grind, attuning, etc..) held it back severely. This was one of those games where if you spec'd the wrong skills, you were seriously disadvantaged in the content.

You were however NEVER locked to that build, you could always just unlock the other skills and fix it for free... No god damn pay to reset you build.

I think the gear treadmill was rather fun, mainly because the NM dungeons (and the community) are so excellent. Also most people in the endgame phase have already completely unlocked their ability wheel.

Made a mistake? Just run a few previous missions again and you are back up to speed.

You were however NEVER locked to that build, you could always just unlock the other skills and fix it for free... No god damn pay to reset you build.

I think the gear treadmill was rather fun, mainly because the NM dungeons (and the community) are so excellent. Also most people in the endgame phase have already completely unlocked their ability wheel.

Made a mistake? Just run a few previous missions again and you are back up to speed.

This was not the case when I played. You needed to level more to get the points to unlock the proper stuff. Then re-gear. And the community at the time was standard MMO-fare. Not as toxic as say, WoW General Chat, but grouping was still "Meet X Requirement" stuff.

Mithos

This was not the case when I played. You needed to level more to get the points to unlock the proper stuff. Then re-gear.

No no, what I mean is that you were never stuck, you could just get more points and get more skills, in other MMO's you had to PAY to be able to re-skill, and you had to pick and choose what skills to add because you could just choose so many skills to have, in TSW you could just add more skills until you have them all.

No no, what I mean is that you were never stuck, you could just get more points and get more skills, in other MMO's you had to PAY to be able to re-skill, and you had to pick and choose what skills to add because you could just choose so many skills to have, in TSW you could just add more skills until you have them all.

True. That's a lot of grind though and early in the game it wasn't immediately clear what an efficient build was. They pitched the system as players having the ability to run whatever setup and skills they wanted. No classes. Which was only technically true. Still needed a build that created a class so you could fill a role though. I played the game at launch, participated in the ARGs, etc.. so these are old gripes.

Haunted

Smells like a last ditch effort made in desperation.

Best of luck to the team I suppose, but the death knells are ringing.

This was not the case when I played. You needed to level more to get the points to unlock the proper stuff. Then re-gear. And the community at the time was standard MMO-fare. Not as toxic as say, WoW General Chat, but grouping was still "Meet X Requirement" stuff.

The community now is super friendly and helpful. I upgraded all my purple gear through PUG's and met some wonderful people. No one gets mad when you make a mistake, people take time to explain mechanics and wiping isn't the end of the world. This experience is in stark contrast with other MMO's for me.

I can't really comment on the community at the time of release since I only started playing like 1-2 years later.

Aeana

It's really an incredible display of Ragnar Tornquist's brilliance. I would recommend people check it out for that alone. Especially if you liked The Longest Journey.

Wulfram

Only one character slot seems annoying. A game that emphasises story shouldn't stop people from replaying that story.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Interested to see the combat changes, that was an element of the game that could have reaaalllyyy used improvement. The stories and world were great but the combat sucked.

They should also bring this to consoles, could do very well.

I wonder if they revamped the combat for this very reason.

They are also calling it shared world now. I wonder if the instance sizes are going to be smaller now.

Only one character slot seems annoying. A game that emphasises story shouldn't stop people from replaying that story.

I expect them to make the vanilla main missions replayable in Legends (just like all other content). So an extra character slot really isn't a necessity like in other games.

Lanrutcon

If I can bring my cosmetic stuff across I'll be happy. Don't give a crap about my gear, but you goddamn take my coats I WILL MURDER YOUR BABIES.

Also: rolling Templar again.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
If I can bring my cosmetic stuff across I'll be happy. Don't give a crap about my gear, but you goddamn take my coats I WILL MURDER YOUR BABIES.

Also: rolling Templar again.

Templar best faction, plus your superior essentially being Mallory Archer is fantastic.

Amon-Lau

Bleh, Dragons for life~

But either way I hope to get into the beta to see how it is, I wonder if the battle system will be engaging this time~ :3

etrain911

I'm glad they're keeping the original servers and that my character won't disappear, but I wish that they had some kind of ambassador program for folks like me who supported the original like extra character slots or something.

EndersAres

Neo Member
I'm really excited for this. I have tried to play this many times but the terrible combat always makes me leave. The story stuff if so interesting but that gameplay just kills it for me.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Phew, I got nervous that I wouldn't be able to see the rest of the old game I hadn't gotten around to, but it'll be a separate client and the old one continues like usual.

I've had this since it went buy-to-play. I couldn't really get into the combat, so I dropped it. Legends seems like it could pull me in.

There are many qualities apart from the combat that appeal to me. The setting and immersion are pretty great. This is the only MMO I've played that pulls off the single-player game feeling pretty well.

Top Bottom