• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World becomes F2P with Secret World Legends

I adore the Secret World... favorite MMO of all time and in terms of game writing it's really astounding. If this is a chance for Funcom to try something different and expand on the game, I'm in.

Here's hoping the combat system is good.

If I can bring my cosmetic stuff across I'll be happy. Don't give a crap about my gear, but you goddamn take my coats I WILL MURDER YOUR BABIES.

Also: rolling Templar again.

I hope we can re-roll factions on our existing characters. Played Templar but this time I'm going Dragon, they have the most interesting debriefs imo.

also Daimon <3

Is this just a PC thing? I've always heard about this game, but I've never gotten the chance to play it since i mostly play on consoles.

CSJ

I've got a bad feeling it's a lot less than we're actually hoping for.
Funcom and their new player experiences, been there....

Primus

So I went to re-download TSW, just to log into my old character and poke around a bit, and all the download links seem to be gone? Everything redirects to the TSW: Legends page and I can't even get into my TSW Funcom account.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
But that's Illuminati (iirc).

But yes, Templar it is for sure.

Naw man, I'm talking about Dame Julia. I love her, she's grumpy as hell and it's hilarious. Plus her voice actor is just spot on for the role. Most of the voice acting is, really. The headmaster at Innsmouth Academy is hilarious too

Crzy1

Pfffttt... There goes my grandmaster subscription, I guess. Haven't played much recently, but still a bummer. Hope it goes well for them, but I think I've seen all I need to see of the game.

Edit: I was there for what they did to Age of Conan when it went free to play, I'm hoping they handle this one better.

Pfffttt... There goes my grandmaster subscription, I guess. Haven't played much recently, but still a bummer. Hope it goes well for them, but I think I've seen all I need to see of the game.

Edit: I was there for what they did to Age of Conan when it went free to play, I'm hoping they handle this one better.

Grandmaster's get grandfathered in to an equivalent status.

derFeef

Naw man, I'm talking about Dame Julia. I love her, she's grumpy as hell and it's hilarious. Plus her voice actor is just spot on for the role. Most of the voice acting is, really. The headmaster at Innsmouth Academy is hilarious too

Ah right, I forgot so many things about the story. And yes, voice acting is superb, love all the Star Trek cast, haha.

cookturkey

Neo Member
Absolutely loved The Secret World but absolutely hated the direction they went with the AEGIS system. Looking forward to seeing the new combat.

I really really really hope they nail the combat. Secret World has the best setting and writing in an MMO bar none, but ugh, that combat. Fix that and I'm 10000% on board.

I hope we can re-roll factions on our existing characters. Played Templar but this time I'm going Dragon, they have the most interesting debriefs imo.

also Daimon <3

Dude is a riot, best quest giver in the game. I like that he also becomes
the 2nd in command of the Dragon, kicking out that stuck up lady and wiping her memory.

I haven't bought the newest packs after the Tokyo sidequest one. I'm looking forward to jumping into the game again, and hopefully all my cosmetics carry over, especially since I got a bunch of event items over time.

derFeef

Absolutely loved The Secret World but absolutely hated the direction they went with the AEGIS system. Looking forward to seeing the new combat.

Aegis, Tokyo. That's when I phased out and it became too much.
Too much sytems, too much everything. I played that game SOLO all the way minus the raids with randoms. I hope that will still be viable.

Mithos

Aegis, Tokyo. That's when I phased out and it became too much.
Too much sytems, too much everything. I played that game SOLO all the way minus the raids with randoms. I hope that will still be viable.

Yeah I SOLOED the entire game pretty much too, the only time I teamed up, well it was to get acheivments/lores that existed inside dungeons.

Stiler

TSW was at its best when it plays into the adventure game style and focuses on building the story/characters. It had some of the best stories and story related quests of any mmo I played.

It was let down by throwing in too many "mmo" style fetch/kill quests and the boring combat rotation focused hotkey combat system.

They should look at games like Resident Evil 7/Dark Souls and such for how to do fun combat within that setting and style of game.

I hope that's where they took inspiration from for combat, if it's still hotkey focused that's going to be a bummer.

Only mmo I ever spent time with, made it to Transylvania before I finally quit. Really interested to see how this looks, Secret World was beautiful when it launched.

I really really really hope they nail the combat. Secret World has the best setting and writing in an MMO bar none, but ugh, that combat. Fix that and I'm 10000% on board.

I might one up and say it has the best setting and writing in any genre of game. It's way up there among the very best at least.

Freeman76

I actually enjoyed this a lot, but fuck this company. Their customer service is abysmal and I was treated very poorly by them. Wont touch anything of theirs again after that, it was that bad.

Some extra information from an interview with game director Romain Amiel

- This year will see the release of Season 2 of The Secret World (finally). The Season 1 storyline was concluded in Issue 11. All future story-content will be free.

- A more traditional progression system, gaining XP to level up.

- Improvements to character models, lighting, combat animations, field of view. Not using a new engine.

- Still focus on solo-play, hence a 'shared-world RPG'. Playfields won't have many players in them. Agartha remains the central hub.

- Expanded the reticule system to provide more action-oriented combat.

- Patron system will give extra in-game bonuses and convenience.

- No current plans for a console version.

- Release date is 'sometime this Spring'.

lenos16

Hope they make grouping easier, I remember having to wait quite a while in the first town alone to get any team members...

E-flux

I really hope that the f2p side isn't shit like it is in 99% of f2p games. All of the other changes sound good but i don't want the good game to be hidden behind a shitty f2p wall.

Lucifon

Some extra information from an interview with game director Romain Amiel

- This year will see the release of Season 2 of The Secret World (finally). The Season 1 storyline was concluded in Issue 11. All future story-content will be free.

- Improvements to character models, lighting, combat animations, field of view. Not using a new engine.

- Still focus on solo-play, hence a 'shared-world RPG'. Playfields won't have many players in them. Agartha remains the central hub.

- Expanded the reticule system to provide more action-oriented combat.

- Patron system will give extra in-game bonuses and convenience.

- No current plans for a console version.

- Release date is 'sometime this Spring'.

Here's hoping the combat improvements are more than just an expanded reticule system and improved animations. They've mentioned improvements to combat a bunch of times before, but the game really could use an overhaul to the combat not just tweaks.

Skulldead

Yeah let's remove what make this game fun to experiment with skill synergie and weapon combination....

Still focus on solo-play

??? what did we played the same game ?

I understand they want to change the game to survive.... but this is a serious makeover i'm surprise fan are not more angry then that...

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I played TSW all last night. What an awesome game this is. I'm about halfway through Transylvania, and the amount of points of interest can be overwhelming.

The Secret World is one of the coolest MMOs I've ever played - loved the setting, the writing, the story, the ARGs - all of it. Really excited to see what they can do by revitalizing it. I'm happy Funcom is seeing some moderate success again and we're getting another shot at this game.

Windam

Scaley member
Can we still redeem game codes if we haven't yet? Got TSW as part of a Humble Bundle but never touched it.

Sölf

Man, I love the Secret World for it's setting and story, but the combat really is weak. I played 66 hours and got to the second part of Egypt, where I stopped. I am so back if they improve the combat. Especially since this is a real relaunch and every starts fresh.

Yeah let's remove what make this game fun to experiment with skill synergie and weapon combination....

??? what did we played the same game ?

I understand they want to change the game to survive.... but this is a serious makeover i'm surprise fan are not more angry then that...

They said they're keeping the "choose any two" weapon system so the variety will hopefully be similar.

Tbh as someone with hundreds if not thousands of hours in the game, I'm just glad they're doing something with it. Most fans like me dropped the game years ago after the Tokyo arc was finished and the game went into maintenance mode. If what they come up with doesn't work then that sucks, but I wasn't going to come back unless they did something major anyway.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
I own SW, I just never got around to playing it. Now with this announcement, I'm going to wait and see what people say before I decide which version to finally jump on.

Crzy1

Grandmaster's get grandfathered in to an equivalent status.
Oh, that's good news for me, then. Have honestly gotten a lot of mileage out of it anyway, so I wouldn't have been too upset, I'd just have stayed away from it. I'll probably hop in and see what's going on with the game after the initial rush has died down, since I'll have a bit of incentive to do so.

Inspector Q

There were two things that kind of rubbed me the wrong way when I tried this game out years ago.

The first was the aforementioned combat animations. This was kind of shocking since I was expecting the animations to be really good from the same company that did Age of Conan. AoC had some really nice animations for an MMO so to see this game take such a large step back in that regard was kind of strange.

The second thing was that I just couldn't get into the quest cutscenes. I absolutely hated how your character would just stand there like a mute as this quest giver would go on a 2 minute long monologue. It just sounded dumb with the full voice acting. Like, why would they keep talking to me if I am just going to stand there staring at them like a moron? Another game, The Division, did this recently and I just completely uninstalled the beta because of it, lol.

Anyway, enough of my rant. I really liked the idea behind TSW and it was cool to play an MMO set in more of a modern setting. The three factions all seemed pretty cool, as well.

I guess we will see how this turns out. I doubt they will change the way the quest monologues work, but at least it sounds like they are sprucing up the combat. Might just check it out when I get a chance.

Top Bottom