• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World becomes F2P with Secret World Legends

Tizocc

Neo Member
I bought this game about a year and a half ago but never played it.Was just thinking about installing it but i guess i wont now.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
From what he says in the stream, the game is actually the same content with just mechanics changes? I guess I'd just stick with the old game if that's the case.

Lanrutcon

As someone who couldn't get into the original because of how it played, the little that they showed in that stream was a big improvement to me.

What improvements got your attention? I'm kinda curious, since it looks like pretty much the same game to me.

Nishastra

Banned
What improvements got your attention? I'm kinda curious, since it looks like pretty much the same game to me.
Yeah, it looks exactly the same except for picking a deck to start the game and some weapon mechanics. While they didn't show much, the animations they did show were unchanged.

I'm glad that the mix and match skill system isn't going away, though. Perhaps there'll be some fun new combinations now :p

What I meant by how it played is I could never get into classic MMO tab/click to target style gameplay/controls. The change to a mouse look action setup similar to something like ESO is a big improvement in terms of playability for me.

SRTtoZ

Every time I give this game a chance I end up getting bored after an hour. ESO is still my recommendation these days.

ESO is certainly a more accessible MMO and also has a lot more polish. TSW requires a lot of investment in the story, lore and its characters. Combined with a focus on puzzles this makes for a pretty unusual mixture in the MMO landscape.

But it pays off big time.

Mozendo

So it seems that they're trying to make the combat more action-y like in Tera?
Kinda feel bummed out I bought the game last month but I'm still glad I gave it another shot from the recommendations here on GAF have had a blast and am looking forward to the relaunch or whatever the right word is

ESO is certainly a more accessible MMO and also has a lot more polish. TSW requires a lot of investment in the story, lore and its characters. Combined with a focus on puzzles this makes for a pretty unusual mixture in the MMO landscape.

But it pays off big time.

I'm still yet to do any quests in any other game as involved as the ones in the first area of TSW. Only time a single questline has involved knowing about Vivaldi, Renaissance Painters, and Morse Code that I've encountered. Game had some insane quests.

Lanrutcon

Every time I give this game a chance I end up gEttinger bored after an hour. ESO is still my recommendation these days.

If the atmosphere, writing and lore elements don't grab you, then the game is going to be super boring to you.

Take the first area for example. It's packed with Lovecraftian tidbits and references to King's work. By the time I got the puzzle involving the
Illuminati
symbols strewn around town and the Lighthouse I was completely hooked.

That being said though: the game has some of the finest dungeons (mechanically) I've ever experienced in any MMO. Nightmare Ankh is amazing.

Yeah, it looks exactly the same except for picking a deck to start the game and some weapon mechanics. While they didn't show much, the animations they did show were unchanged.

I'm glad that the mix and match skill system isn't going away, though. Perhaps there'll be some fun new combinations now :p

Pistols 4 life.

derFeef

Changes seem fine so far, I did not expect them to rewrite the whole combat.

Every time I give this game a chance I end up gEttinger bored after an hour. ESO is still my recommendation these days.

Those are very different games. If story/setting/atmosphere does not draw you to this, then you may as well not bother again. Like others said, it has some of the best quests that rivals SP rpgs easily.

Mozendo

I'm still yet to do any quests in any other game as involved as the ones in the first area of TSW. Only time a single questline has involved knowing about Vivaldi, Renaissance Painters, and Morse Code that I've encountered. Game had some insane quests.

This is the reason why I fell in love with TSW.
Haven't played in awhile but the one that stands out for me is in the first area where you're trying to get inside some FBI guy's laptop that has a password, and in order to get the password you have to view his business card, go to his site (which is in fact an actual website) and get his wife's name.

Blew my mind and bought the base game with my next paycheck

Vlodril

i had hoped they changed the ui (laughable inventory item icons, don't know what they were thinking) and spawn points. so far not looking good on the first one although i think it might be placeholder ( didn't watch the whole stream just jump around a bit).

massoluk

Banned
I played The Secret World for a week at launch, I don't remember a god damn thing about The Secret World. I mean that literally

If the atmosphere, writing and lore elements don't grab you, then the game is going to be super boring to you.

Take the first area for example. It's packed with Lovecraftian tidbits and references to King's work. By the time I got the puzzle involving the
Illuminati
symbols strewn around town and the Lighthouse I was completely hooked.

That being said though: the game has some of the finest dungeons (mechanically) I've ever experienced in any MMO. Nightmare Ankh is amazing.

Pistols 4 life.

Yeah I have played a lot of MMO's but the dungeons in The Secret World are something else. It certainly helps that they are filled with interesting lore (and hilarious Dr. Klein dialogue) but the combat really starts to shine here.

My favourite boss is probably the Machine Tyrant. You need a high amount of mobility, a good debuff rotation and the necessary dps to prevent his enrage timer. You truly feel like a badass when you are the last person alive delivering the killing blow in the last seconds while dodging his barrage. After 10 wipes before that.

I bought this game about a year and a half ago but never played it.Was just thinking about installing it but i guess i wont now.

You're missing out!

It's a different kind of MMO, very focused on story and some clever way of doing quests: you are required sometimes to visit Wikipedia to understand some hieroglyphics for example.

Quest givers have fictional twitter accounts too.

It's a pretty neat game, soloable and grinding free.

What I meant by how it played is I could never get into classic MMO tab/click to target style gameplay/controls. The change to a mouse look action setup similar to something like ESO is a big improvement in terms of playability for me.

Reticle targeting in MMO's is pretty lackluster imo for the most part. Even games that do it well, like GW2, typically rely on invulnerability frames and player error rather than actual dodging or positional importance. I really don't feel a difference when I'm playing reticle MMO's vs tab to target mmo's.

What I was really hoping for was better animations, as that goes a long way to making gameplay feel better. It's a perception thing, but it matters when you're playing for hours upon hours.

Lanrutcon

Yeah I have played a lot of MMO's but the dungeons in The Secret World are something else. It certainly helps that they are filled with interesting lore (and hilarious Dr. Klein dialogue) but the combat really starts to shine here.

My favourite boss is probably the Machine Tyrant. You need a high amount of mobility, a good debuff rotation and the necessary dps to prevent his enrage timer. You truly feel like a badass when you are the last person alive delivering the killing blow in the last seconds while dodging his barrage. After 10 wipes before that.

Machine Tyrant is such a butthole. Unless I'm responsible for pistol/shotgun buffs, I generally swap to long range for him. You feel like a goddamn pro when you do down him.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So you'll only be ablet to see other players in the hub? So I won't see randos running around in Kingsmouth unless I'm in a party? That kinda sucks :(

Easy_D

never left the stone age
this can't be real....

They keep saying "Shared world" instead of MMO. I'm just expecting the worst lol. I hope you still run into randos, that's the best part of an MMO to me, even if I don't like party stuff, just finding someone else in the world is neat to me

jediyoshi

Weird.

Tempted to try it out again depending on how readjusted the progression is, never got to mid-end game content.

Maledict

Doesn't surprise me. As someone who spent a loooot of time in the secret world, including getting my warmaster costume and a fully upgraded raid stuff, the good parts of the game are basically single player.

There's nothing to be gained from seeing other people run around the overland maps, and in fact in some ways it weakens the story and atmosphere a lot. The best bit about secret world is the writing and setting, and having multiple people around often just breaks stuff more than it adds.

Actually I do recall there being a couple of different places where having other people around literally did break quests. Puzzle quests in the open world area that needed sequential actions to be solved.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It'll be like Guild Wars 1.

How'd GW1 handle things? I kinda hope they do run overworld instances with other players lol, they can just let you choose and the servers will be up anyway since they're keeping legacy TSW online (for now) :(

Locke09

Neo Member
How'd GW1 handle things? I kinda hope they do run overworld instances with other players lol, they can just let you choose and the servers will be up anyway since they're keeping legacy TSW online (for now) :(

In GW1 you'd see other players in towns/cities/outposts, but maps with enemies/missions would be instanced. You could bring other players with you if they were in your party, but if not, you wouldn't see another player until back in a safe zone.

I thought it worked rather well - probably sunk more time into GW1 than any other game.

So story progression won't be reset if you choose to stick to the original version of the game? At least that's what I've seen elsewhere. Better be the case, I'd be real fucking pissed if my progression got wiped after slogging through the last bit of Egypt.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So story progression won't be reset if you choose to stick to the original version of the game? At least that's what I've seen elsewhere. Better be the case, I'd be real fucking pissed if my progression got wiped after slogging through the last bit of Egypt.

They're keeping the old version up, yes.

derFeef

There won't be any improvements (if they are improvements) from the release though, it's like a legacy version in maintanance mode.

There's nothing to be gained from seeing other people run around the overland maps, and in fact in some ways it weakens the story and atmosphere a lot. The best bit about secret world is the writing and setting, and having multiple people around often just breaks stuff more than it adds.

I completely agree. Build experiences around a party of players and those will probably be great, but the regular questing and story gained nothing from the game being an MMO, and as someone else said sometimes broke quests. I remember doing a quest when the game launched that had you sneaking around trip wires and if anyone hit one everyone in the party died regardless of where they were and one where you had to follow a song but if your group wasn't in a tight ball it wouldn't function properly. Also one where you had to avoid spot lights and if anyone stepped in one everyone in the group died rather than just the person who was visible.

I heard about this a while back but didn't read up much, only looking into it more today. I'm a but put off by how it's a completely new game and wiping everything clean and all that, not like I put in too much time with the original version anyway. I'm concerned about how they'll make it up to people who bought the game before; from what I read all the content you previously had to pay for will now be free, so I feel like they should really give those who paid before something at least even if they're not owed anything. It seems anyone who owned the game previously will at least have all the weapons unlocked without having to pay for them so that's something, but I also wonder how they're monetizing this beyond just weapons and presumably cosmetics.

I am curious about just what they're doing when it comes to it actually being an MMO. It almost feels like in some stuff they've put out that the game will be completely single player, but then they also say you'll still see other people in zones just far fewer people. I think a decent compromise would be to have dynamic layering that ensures you'll only ever see two other people, one from each of the other factions unless you (or they) are grouped up with people. Would fit the lore and help with the atmosphere in some areas. Also wonder how this affects bosses and dungeons, will they be soloable now? As one of THOSE people who does not like grouping and always plays MMOs solo while ignoring group content, I hope so.

A bit sad that the ability wheel will be gone. I really liked it and thought it was refreshingly unique, though it was admittedly overwhelming and difficult to choose what you wanted to do with it. I feel like without it the game might lose some sense of its identity, but the setting and core concept is unique enough to make up for the lose of unique progression.

I'm curious to see how it turns out, will have to keep an eye on this.

ViciousDS

Banned
From what he says in the stream, the game is actually the same content with just mechanics changes? I guess I'd just stick with the old game if that's the case.

except none of the new story content will hit the original. They are leaving up just for nostalgic purposes basically.

You absolutely should. I consider it a must-play game for people who are into great storytelling and writing.

Absolutely, storytelling there is no better mmorpg than the secret world. TSW by far has the best story ever told in an online game.

No other game does interactive storytelling like this, the puzzles were genuinely puzzling and the fact that they were so involved and needed you to actually think to solve them is something I wish more games adopted.

Effect

Seeing the combat here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgMWQ1tAJ_g

I think it looks quite good compared to the old system. It's not super fancy or impressive, but it looks serviceable and fun enough. I've heard so many talk so much good stuff about the atmosphere and story of this game. I think I will give it a shot:)

This indeed looks a lot better then the old system. Curious if they update the animations as those still look the same. They don't look bad but dated.

People aren't exaggerating either when they sing praises about this game's story, storytelling, quest design and atmosphere. It's top notch.

Li Kao

I wonder if they have reworked the game to be fully soloable. Probably not :-/
TSW was killed for me partly because of that. Playing dozens of hours calmly, immersing in the fantastic lore, only to have to group for a boss fight where you get back in a mmo vibe with half a dozen headless cicken that couldn't read a quest to save their life...
I quit not long after that.

TSW was killed for me partly because of that. Playing dozens of hours calmly, immersing in the fantastic lore, only to have to group for a boss fight where you get back in a mmo vibe with half a dozen headless cicken that couldn't read a quest to save their life...

I think you're in luck mate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvHvcF0-pk0

TheYanger

Huh? you could solo almost anything that wasn't a dungeon even at launch. This is a game that GREATLY depends on you understanding debuffs, buffs, and weaknesses and strengths of the various skills, but mobs generally have a buff that explains what is good against them too (which makes it not feel super cheap). It did always get pretty hard though, like Transylvania I couldn't just run around like a god like the early parts, I had to very much adjust my build.

A big aspect of the change to Legends is revamping to make it more solo friendly.

Varna

Secret World already felt incredibly solo friendly. By the time I tried the game barely anyone was on and I cleared quiet a few of the zones without much issue. Did they just basically gut the dungeons and make the end stuff solo friendly?

I like the weapon upgrade system. Nothing is worse in an MMO then finding a weapon you visually like then having to trash it for some ugly pos because of stats.

Top Bottom