• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World becomes F2P with Secret World Legends

kulapik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FJu4q_wDb4

Secret World Legends plunges players into a shadowy war against the supernatural in an adventure that crosses our world with the realms of ancient myth and legend. As players traverse the globe unravelling complex investigations into the unknown, they’ll need to uncover clues and use their own wits as much as their characters’ abilities.

"A highly extensive and customizable arsenal of firearms, weapons, gear and otherworldly powers will give players the strength to battle the forces of darkness as they dig deeper into these vast and mysterious lands. Players can go at it alone and enjoy the over 100 hours of story at their own pace, or team up with others as they explore the world and unravel its mysteries."

http://www.secretworldlegends.com

Alexious

I've followed it for a very long time ahead of release. I hope the combat improvements are substantial though, that's what kept me from playing it in the end.

Moobabe

I've followed it for a very long time ahead of release. I hope the combat improvements are substantial though, that's what kept me from playing it in the end.

I thought the combat was pretty fun! I mean, not ground breaking but standard MMO stuff.

Alexious

I thought the combat was pretty fun! I mean, not ground breaking.

Many, including myself, think it was just too dull and mediocre mostly due to the animations. This relaunch is supposedly focused on improving combat first and foremost as that's the #1 feedback they got ever since the beta.

Memory

Loved this game on release but the animation and combat was outdated before it even released. Didn't help that Guild Wars 2 came with a great com at system and smooth animations.

The main reason I left was that PvP became a joke and the devs refused to acknowledge a clearly broken skill until the competitive community was dead.

derFeef

Oh okay so that's the relaunch, pretty interested in what they can achieve!

Crosspost from the OT:
Hello you last standing few. Some info from the financial report:

The Secret World will be relaunched during the first half of 2017.
The goal of the relaunch is to broaden the appeal of the game through:

Redesigned new player experience
Major improvements to gameplay including combat.
Introduction of new retention systems such as daily rewards.
Adjustments to the business model, including allowing
access to the story content for free.

Relaunch activities will begin in late March.
•
This relaunch has the potential to have a significant
impact in the game and company's revenues

edit: oh boy

Yes, everyone will begin Secret World Legends with a new character. Secret World Legends makes some major changes to itemization and character progression that aren't compatible with the old game.

Moobabe

Many, including myself, think it was just too dull and mediocre mostly due to the animations. This relaunch is supposedly focused on improving combat first and foremost as that's the #1 feedback they got ever since the beta.

Interesting. I hadn't followed feedback really, just dived in. I'd be down to go again at the re-launch.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Oh. Interesting. I got it as part of the humble bundle a couple months ago and it's a really solid package for the most part. Tons of well written lore, good music, atmosphere is there in a creepy X-Files episode sorta way.

Wonder if people who bought it will get anything in return?

Edit: My wardrobe will be gone? But I spent a ton of pax on my outfit ;-;.

derFeef

Oh what the hell.

You telling me I'm going to lose my goddamn wardrobe? Those things don't even have stats.

There seem to be transfer for items and stuff, just reading the FAQ. I have lot's of stuff, lol.
Honestly this is weird. TSW will still be playable, but I guess not get further updates.

https://www.secretworldlegends.com/faq

When you link your account, you will be able to transfer over any remaining membership from TSW to Secret World Legends. In addition, you will be able to move over some vanity items from the previous game. You can also exchange your Funcom Points for Aurum.

I always felt like Secret World had a lot of cool ideas that suffered from the misfortune of being put in a mediocre MMO.

Give me an adventure game in this setting though, and I'm all over it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
There seem to be transfer for items and stuff, just reading the FAQ. I have lot's of stuff, lol.
Honestly this is weird. TSW will still be playable, but I guess not get further updates.

https://www.secretworldlegends.com/faq

Ah shit, I better go do some missions to get my free points stat. Or send them an email because I'm pretty sure I've done 20 missions already, no FP yet.

I always felt like Secret World had a lot of cool ideas that suffered from the misfortune of being put in a mediocre MMO.

Give me an adventure game in this setting though, and I'm all over it.

An old fashioned point and clicker set in the TSW universe would be fantastic :). Hope it's something they're planning to do eventually

Edit: Letter from the producer of TSW: http://steamcommunity.com/games/215280#announcements/detail/616272184662195465

I really, really hope that it works out. The writing and storytelling in The Secret World are fantastic, without a doubt the best in the MMO genre and giving most single-player games a run for their money.

Hopefully they can increase their content output with this new launch.

Day fucking zero.

Oh man, if the controls and combat are made to feel MUCH better, I'm going to be all over this. Hoping for something more action-oriented and less traditional MMO.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Oh man, if the controls and combat are made to feel MUCH better, I'm going to be all over this. Hoping for something more action-oriented and less traditional MMO.

That sounds like it will be the case:
Just as importantly, a dedicated relaunch gives us the opportunity to update the game in ways befitting a modern-day action RPG. This includes redesigning the combat system to make action feel more natural, making systems more intuitive to interact with

Mithos

Yes, everyone will begin Secret World Legends with a new character. Secret World Legends makes some major changes to itemization and character progression that aren't compatible with the old game.

Ouch, I dunno, I spent a hell of a lot of time in PvP just so I could upgrade armor/weapons (I hate/loath PvP), not sure I want to start from zero again...

I really hope they put this on the PS4 and Xbox One to attract more players.

I they could have 100% native controller scheme, that would be nice, but the current game do not work well unless you use a keyboard, (xpadder + keyboard for me).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ouch, I dunno, I spent a hell of a lot of time in PvP just so I could upgrade armor/weapons (I hate/loath PvP), not sure I want to start from zero again...

To be fair, it sounds like it'll be pretty different gameplay wise, so you'll have a different experience regardless, maybe they're clearly changing stuff to the point that builds won't be work the same (if at all) with the new launch.

Skulldead

If the game still as challenging then at release, i'm in to replay it. I but i have feeling they will ease thing up if they want to recruit new player....

Kimawolf

I they could have 100% native controller scheme, that would be nice, but the current game do not work well unless you use a keyboard, (xpadder + keyboard for me).
They say in the FAQ you will keep your old chars as they will keep the old servers up as well.

Hopefully they keep the investigation missions in.

Will it be available on Steam? It's region-locked for me.

Yeah, I remember playing the beta where the upper part animation of the character model is somewhat separated with its lower part. It just feels weird.

They're calling this a "shared world RPG" instead of an MMO like the original.

Looking forward to this, but I'm glad they're leaving the original's servers on. I'm like 3 quarters through the story and I don't want to restart.

I've heard from many people saying that this game is not the most underrated MMORPG out there. The story and subject matter and setting is supposed to be really good. I own the game but have never played it.

ESO, The Path of Exile and FFXIV are getting major expansions this summer.

BDO, GW2 and Warframe are continually getting large updates.

This game has a short window of opportunity, but I'd love to see it do really well. Here we have a horror themed, modern day setting. It's a great alternative to the sci fi and fantasy staples that dominate the genre.

I'm interested, but skeptical. Very few MMO relaunches have launched into something I find better. TSW has a lot of qualities I love, especially the player progression. There's a lot of freedom in your build and weapon type (except perhaps in nightmare raids) and I hope they don't ditch that.

I hope they build on the progression instead, and try to make more weapon combinations even more viable.

Carcetti

Sounded good otherwise because the world and quests are ace but starting from zero and being able to move over 'some vanity items'... jaysus keeh-rist.

I put in some hard work in my goddamn wardrobe and character.

Wollan

Do we know if this will use the new multiplatform tech for their latest Conan game?
Secret World had excellent atmosphere for a MMO.

Effect

Existing players can still play their characters and "old game" if they want. Kinda like a vanilla shard.

If "The Secret World" is still being kept around (it's setup up as buy once and expand with the item/content store) that's a good thing. The problem then becomes does it still get new content or will that all go towards "Secret World Legends"?

Looking forward to seeing how this relaunch is handled.

Alexious

Do we know if this will use the new multiplatform tech for their latest Conan game?
Secret World had excellent atmosphere for a MMO.

Just watch the trailer, it's clearly still using their engine instead of Unreal Engine 4.

If "The Secret World" is still being kept around (it's already F2P with an store) that's a good thing. The problem then becomes does it still get new content or will that all go towards "Secret World Legends"?

All new content will be produced only for Legends.

Lucifon

Interested to see the combat changes, that was an element of the game that could have reaaalllyyy used improvement. The stories and world were great but the combat sucked.

They should also bring this to consoles, could do very well.

ebil

I'll definitely play this! The Secret World had amazing worldbuilding, atmosphere, quests and really good voice acting. I didn't stick around because I didn't like the combat all that much so I'm happy with them reworking it.

sora87

I've always loved the idea behind this game but i just couldn't justify a monthly fee for it. Will check it out properly now.

Effect

Just watch the trailer, it's clearly still using their engine instead of Unreal Engine 4.

All new content will be produced only for Legends.

Gotcha. Thanks! That's good then for those already invested. Not like The Secret World doesn't have a lot of great content already that is available. I expect they'll still do seasonal events like they've done but it will just go into maintenance mode like Anarchy Online and Age of Conan.

I have to start all over...? :/

Only if you play the new version as it's on a new server. The old version will still be up and both can live together on your machine. There's a steam link a bit further up which explains it all. You can transfer some stuff across to the new game but old quest progress is reset on the new game.

Top Bottom