• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of(when will we get a new mothership game?)

Vamphuntr

I wouldn't say the hopes are "all of a sudden". Every time I see a Tales discussion, there are tons of posts wishing for a Vesperia remaster. I also want one. PS3 content and Western localization including the original English cast.

Good luck with that. They would have to record a bunch of stuff for the new scenes and skits and I doubt they would be able to get Troy Baker again considering he's even more popular now.

RPGCrazied

Good luck with that. They would have to record a bunch of stuff for the new scenes and skits and I doubt they would be able to get Troy Baker again considering he's even more popular now.

He said in some interview that he already voiced new lines. It was awhile ago, think I watched something like that.

I'm happy to not have yearly Tales games, Berseria only just came out so I'd have no issue waiting until next year for an announcement and 2019 for a release.

Every non-town location has lost the feeling of being neatly hand crafted. Used to be with games like Abyss and Vesperia that every time you entered a dungeon or other location that it felt totally new, no matter how short it was and was exciting to explore.

Half the locations in the games now are just another mix of cut-paste corridors and rooms with enemies dotted around for you to run into. The between-cave/dungeon areas are fine as a replacement for the overworld, in fairness, but half the games now just feel like this endless boring trudge through identikit brown and grey caves.

The only non town locations that are approaching interesting to me are the major story locations, but even those just feel like chore to me in the games now. Lots of bland military bases and castles with non descript corridors. Feels like the imagination has just... gone.

The series is in a weird place. I agree with the above... in many ways the series has become stale and rote over the past several games, especially in terms of graphics, environment design, and gameplay, and Berseria was no exception. On the other hand, its characters and story were the most interesting they've been in recent memory (it was the first Tales game since Vesperia that I was motivated enough to actually finish).

So Berseria could either be interpreted as a re-invigoration of the series, or continuing to circle the drain, and neither would really be wrong.

Some Nobody

It's not the engine. There are UE3 games that look much better than TOB or TOX. It's the asset reuse. Which I'll be honest I'm not against to some extent, but at the same time it's time for them to step up and put some money into the Tales franchise. Code Vein looks better, and it doesn't have the pedigree of having existed since the SNES.

It's not the engine. There are UE3 games that look much better than TOB or TOX. It's the asset reuse. Which I'll be honest I'm not against to some extent, but at the same time it's time for them to step up and put some money into the Tales franchise. Code Vein looks better, and it doesn't have the pedigree of having existed since the SNES.

This, to the series take a step forward/evolve Bamco needs to give an bigger budget than peanuts to Tales of team.

Getting a new engine like UE4 would help? Yes. But without the money the super bland dungeons and the reuse of enemies and assets are going to stay. Just a little prettier

raven777

Engine change will definitely help. The fact that they are taking there time to announce the new game makes me feel optimistic.

Kouriozan

Man I really wish the next port will be Vesperia, but in any case I can't think of any other game since Destiny Director's Cut was JP only (also loved that one)

decisions

ToV PS4 port with original English cast support post. If you can't Troy get Matt Mercer. Although I think they could get Troy tbh.

ED Cantu

I don't really need a new mothership title so soon, but at least I would like to know about the Tales game for the Switch.

It's kind of intriguing, because if the Switch game is just a port of a recent game like Berseria or Zestiria Why not announce it already? that leads me to belive that maybe the game will be a port or a remaster of an older game, like others have said maybe Vesperia since next year it's the 10th anniversary, or maybe Symphonia or even Abyss (although this one had a 3DS port not too long ago), it could be both Xillias in one pack.

The other possibility is that Bamco at first decided to release a quick port but after seeing how the Switch has been selling in Japan they could have decided to release the next mothership tittle for it along with a PS4/Steam version, and they will change the release date they already announced at first.

Whatever it is I just hope to get information about it in December in the Jump Festa.

Some Nobody

Man I really wish the next port will be Vesperia, but in any case I can't think of any other game since Destiny Director's Cut was JP only (also loved that one)

Namco-Bandai should be bros about this and give me a Destiny remake. That's a 0-day pre-order right there.

HyGogg

Banned
I'm putting my money on Tales of Berseria F. Same game with like, extra costumes and a new character or some shit.

Which I would buy the shit out of. Berseria released around two of the best JRPGs in years (Nier and Persona 5), and I never got a chance to play it. Having it portable would be a big help too.

HyGogg

Banned
Namco-Bandai should be bros about this and give me a Destiny remake. That's a 0-day pre-order right there.

Didn't they already do this years ago? Not that it came out in the west, but there's a pretty active translation effort being worked on by Absolute Zero.

What was he difference between PS3 and PS4 Berseria? 1080p and rock solid 60 FPS only? I'd guess that since that game wasn't pushing the PS3 at all, let alone the PS4.

i only played vesperia PS3 .. it's an ok game.

It's not the GEM so people think it is. Vesperia has a good protagonist and good visuals at release. Berseria did everything better.

Mett

I too was expecting something to come out of TGS about a new Tales game. I would love to play Vesperia. :[

But they wanted the engine to scale down for PS3. Both games are on that system too. But I think the next Tales of should be true next gen.

That seems to be the plan

GN: The game won’t be released on PS3 in the west. Can we assume that this will be the last Tales game that gets released on PS3 in Japan as well? Could that open the door to the graphical innovation that many expect from a current generation title?

YF: When the game’s development was started the PS3 was the most popular PlayStation console in the world. Yet, in the western countries more and more users are now starting playing games on PS4. This is really fast compared to the Japanese market, so we decided to release the game only for PS4 and PC in the west.

I can say that Tales of Berseria will be probably the last title that we’ll release for the PS3. When talking about the next Tales title, unfortunately we don’t have information or plans for now, but if the game can be released only for current generation consoles, we can make use of the specs of the PS4.

I believe that, and this is just my idea, we can evolve the battle system more and make it seamless by using those higher specs.

https://www.dualshockers.com/tales-...ength-of-the-game-localization-and-much-more/

Dark_castle

It's never going to happen, but I wished Namco Bandai would make a new mainline Tales with 2D combat that is based on Destiny: DC. I know they technically followed Destiny DC with Graces which was great and all, but there's something that really clicked with me in a 2D format. Or maybe even try to tinker with Rebirth's combat and design a more strategical action battle system than the usual.

Top Bottom