• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Sony mismanaged the Gran Turismo franchise? If so, why?

The ridiculously long dev cycles and releasing 6 on PS3 are obvious answers, it's just a fucked up studio. If the car handling wasn't that good, I'd move on.
Then again, I'm getting exactly what I wanted with GT Sport now surprisingly, an online focused GT as I don't care about SP racers anymore and not something like a tacked-on MP mode.

dracula_x

GT6's sales figures cannot be attributed solely to the PS4 launch, there weren't anywhere near enough systems in the hands of gamers, the mishandling of GT5 also has a part in it. And not releasing GT6 on the PS4 as well is itself due to mismanagement. The sales figures themselves are less relevant than the percentage drop.

You know, they didn't sell 5 million copies in one month and even two.

onanie

The ridiculously long dev cycles and releasing 6 on PS3 are obvious answers, it's just a fucked up studio. If the car handling wasn't that good, I'd move on.
Then again, I'm getting exactly what I wanted with GT Sport now surprisingly, an online focused GT as I don't care about SP racers anymore and not something like a tacked-on MP mode.

How do you find the handling in GTS?

kyser73

Hey everyone!

So I was thinking about this the other day, how a huge sales juggernaut like GT can be swept under the rug so easily.

I'm not that knowledgable when it comes to GT so the experts can correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that it really started with GT6 being released exclusively on the PS3 after the PS4 came out - not even a PS4 port was seen in sight.

But despite that, it still sold relatively well, especially when compared to franchises that have so much more money/marketing poured into them.

And now we come to GT Sport which it seems Sony has dropped the ball again (at least in terms of visible marketing, dedicated time in conferences and certain features being barebones -- this what I gathered anyway from the numerous GT threads e.g. no dynamic weather, primarily an online focus, cut back SP etc.

Even at the PS Asia conference there wasn't any significant marketing nor at TGS where they could have at least showed off the weather.

It's just baffling and mind-boggling to me that such a huge franchise with such a big pull and guaranteed commercial success even on a bad entry could be treated this poorly.

I understand the racing market has changed, especially in the US, but still, if feels GT could have maintained its popularity, at least if Sony were just a little less careless with their management of it.

What do you guys think?

From a project management perspective PD have been appallingly managed. Scope creep, seemingly zero oversight...

From a marketing perspective it's been muddled messaging as to what GTS really is (although arguably as soon as they said it'll be an official FIA e-sport it gave a clear indication of where they were going with it), but in terms of 'hype' GT is like GTA & Mario - it's brand carries it 70% of the way, there's been a constant stream of news about it and the last mile will see blanket paid advertising and buckets of PR.

So...sort of so far, but we can't say anything with any finality as it isn't out yet.

Theonik

Hey, didn't GT6 sell below that?
As far as we know it's broken 5.1m units as of last year but is still selling quite steadily. Will probably land somewhere closer to 6-7 by the end of its life.

Pick one.
I don't see why I'd have to choose one as the two statements are not mutually exclusive. Sales indicate that the loss of the headphone port is not a dealbreaker for a sufficient amount of people even if it annoys some people, those are a vocal minority it seems, same as the 'actually it's a good thing' crowd I reckon but hey ho.

KKRT00

I dont think they mismanaged, but they made big mistakes.

The biggest was not porting GT 6 to PS4. This seemed like a no-brainer.

GT Sport does nothing for me, thats not what i'm looking for in GT series.

theWB27

The notion of "they should follow the Forza model" seems a little bit out of touch considering how this year has been filled with complaints from Xbox owners at the overuse of the Forza/Halo/Gears brands at the expense of more variety.
The Gran Turismo brand has survived a long time probably because they release games so sparingly which never allows the property to become stale or boring.

Yes this doesn't work at all. Forzas release schedule isn't the reason Xbox owners can't get more games.

It still sells well, that means you're wrong.

Some times there is a lot of lag in sales when a series starts going down. The last really good GT was GT4. Was exactly what we expected and it delivered.

GT5 was great technically but it started to show a lack of focus. It wanted to do everything: real tracks, fictional tracks, rally, karting, Nascar, city courses... but I don't think it excelled at anything. Also, you had a mix of premium cars, standard cars, premium tracks, standard tracks, fixed weather/time of day, dynamic time of day, cars with premium damage, cars with standard damage... It was a mess.

It is clear as day Kazunori doesn't know how to manage such a big studio.

GT6 I played much less, but it seems to be more of the same but with premium premium cars and standard premium cars, driving a moon rover (wtf?) etc.

Now we get GT Sport with, imho, the worst car selection in GT history. Is basically a GT prologue with too many locations and a rep system. If they expect this game to sell anywhere near the same amount as GT1-5 they have another thing coming.

To me GT1-4 was like a car encyclopedia. You got to know a lot of cars you didn't know about, how expensive they were, whether they were FR, FF, 4WD, you discovered maybe a little japanese car from the eighties with little weight and a lot of power, I got to experience a well modeled Nürburgring for the first time... I enjoyed buying a shitty car, and slowly getting better parts, adding a turbo, then choosing what car to buy next depending on the category... I enjoyed the game.

I bought GT1-5 at launch. I even imported GT4 from Japan to play it earlier. Now I really don't care when GT Sport launches. I have 0 trust in Polyphony digital.

coiler

Yes they are! Yamauchi is a rant Sonny closed Evolution that made a good game two years ago but keep pumping money in a mad mans vision of taking photos and working three years on HDR... The list of fucked up decisions is so long that I'm not even going to start.

My dream is an anoucment that Yamauchi retires after GT Sport will be out and somebody like Mark Cerny comes in his place to put Gran Turismo on right tracks.

Sillverrr

Fell in love with career mode. Completing license tests felt rewarding, as the core gameplay was so compelling. Every cup I unlocked had courses and cars I wanted to collect for my garage. I raced my favourite tracks over and over again. They peaked with GT3 IMO, even if GT4 was effectively more of the same.

Then came the PS3, and Polyphony's technical prowess seemed to have deserted them. Screen tearing, bland textures as an attempt at realism on below-capable hardware, frame dips. Don't get me wrong, GT5 was still good, but I found it incredibly disappointing compared to previous entries. Suddenly it seems like this studio doesn't have the chops to pull off their vision.

GT Sport looks short of options as someone who favours a lengthy single-player career mode. It's obvious the online focus is not for me, and I accept partial responsibility for not moving with the times. However, I feel that people still associate this series with a lot of content, and less well-informed people are bound to be disappointed when they pick up this game and discover it's not a fully-fledged entry.

EGM1966

GT6 not being early PS4 is only real blip TBH. They've sold well otherwise and particularly compared to the competition in the genre aligned to changing market trends.

Sport will show if they're back on track after GT6 being below what you'd expect for numbered version.

street fighter is also a game within a, lets be honest here, dead genre. racing games aren't faring much better these days, but i can guarantee GTS's faults will fall by the wayside and it'll still sell really well. 10 -15 million like some of their releases? no. but then i can't imagine sony has that in their expectations either, i think 5 million sales ala GT5 prologue seems reasonable though..that was pretty stripped back in regards to content, way more-so than GTS seems to be.

and you forget the views of forum dwelling gamers don't reflect that of the general population. a ton of people will see a GTS ad and buy it BECAUSE it's GT. will they be disappointed? will they trade it in? who cares, doesn't matter, at that point they're a tally mark on a road to success for the title, and ultimately that's all that matters for polyphony and for sony, and it's reason we will continue to get sequels.

How are fighting games a dead genre when Injustice, Smash, and Mortal Kombat all sell millions? With Naruto and DBZ arena fighters not far behind?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
It stumbled a bit, but I am sure the series will be improved in the future.

kyser73

I don't know how anyone can say they are not mismanaged since at least last gen.

From being completely outmatched by the competition, to taking so long to release a game to the point one mainline entry got thrown under the bus by releasing on a dying console.

Even if individually the games still sell around the same, the simple fact that they are releasing them farther apart and not always with the best timing means they make less revenue over a timespan, so even in that metric they are not managing the franchise well enough.

GT6 sold more than Forza 5&6 combined, so let's remind ourselves that if we're talking sales GT6's failure is only relative to the other games in the series, not to the rest of the racing sim market.

Three

GT Sport is coming 4 years after the launch of the PS4 and it's a spinoff that doesn't actually offer what a lot of GT fans actually enjoy about the franchise. So at current pace we could end the generation with Sony having no major Gran Turismo game while Microsoft have a minimum of 3 mainline Forza and 2 spinoffs.

What I don't grasp is how the signs that Polyphony weren't up to snuff was evident as far back as GT5, yet nothing was done. They put out 2 games still reusing PS2 era models and made big claims about going to obsessive lengths to get every detail flawless on a handful of premium cars, meanwhile every car model in Turn 10's games were either just as, or more detailed. I don't enjoy the Forza games, or Project Cars, or Assetto Corsa, and PGR is dead so it pains me to see GT in this state.

Would have to strongly disagree with this. If there is one thing GT gets right and does miles better than the competition it's its car model details.

We need to wait and see how Gran Turismo Sport fares over a couple of years first. I suspect the game will "disappoint" commercially at launch, but I think the game's been built with a long tail in mind.

Not making a GT Academy game is weirdest miss-step for myself

Polish up a few tracks and make every current model Nissan sold in Japan/N.A/EU/Aus/NZ in it (plus make them fund a large chunk), make it a bit more sim'y

Bishop89

Well 15 millon gt3 copies to 5-6 million gt6 copies should tell you yes.

I don't think the release span has much to do with it. Pretty sure Nintendo release one Mario kart per console they release and do fine. GT is two per console

Zaki2407

They usually have their own conference prior to launch, no?
The game will ships in about a month, so probably they'll do it a few days before the launch.

Gestault

My feelings on modern GT may change completely if GTS ends up feeling like something special. I do think they give Yamauchi too little business/product-focused oversight, at least in terms of how they present his efforts during development, and the flippancy of his focus in light of things missing or underdeveloped when the games do release (and obviously the release schedule).

Duxxy3

Absolutely they are mismanaged. It shouldn't take them 4 years to make a game like GT Sport.

It took 2 years for Playground Games to make Forza Horizon 3. I consider it to be the best racing game of all time. Polyphony taking 4 years for half of a GT game is just pathetic.

Glasfrut

Neo Member
I think there is a middle ground between annual releases and being completely absent during the first years of the console and then releasing a game severely lacking on many aspects.

Thinking about it, I wonder if they pushed the GT6 release to the PS3/2013 in order to hit the 15th anniversary year. I mean they could have delayed it to the PS4 release year if they really wanted to, right?

Rellik

I don't understand how we can have like 5 Forza games before 1 gt game.

And the new Forza game will probably score better than gt anyways, lol.

Since when did scores mean anything? This is a business. All that matters to them is sales. Something Forza doesn't come close to GT in despite being multiplatform.

It took 2 years for Playground Games to make Forza Horizon 3. I consider it to be the best racing game of all time. Polyphony taking 4 years for half of a GT game is just pathetic.

Please show us your qualifications in game creation. You seem knowledgeable.

and the rewind feature in the games I've played feels cheap.

And it's completely optional. No one holds a gun to your head and forces you to use it. Options aren't a bad thing unless you're an elitist who thinks there is accomplishment in finishing a hard video game.

maybe. Sony's been letting Forza eat Polyphony's lunch for years now if you are grading by how visible the franchise is and how many titles they put out. I'd like to see more GT, but not if it compromises what the franchise is all about: dead serious, highly polished, elegant tributes to motorsport.

Nonetheless, I'm firmly on the GT side of the racing sim debate - I don't need one of these games more often than Yamauchi can put them out, and GT just feels more elegant and refined to me for some reason. Forza weirdly just doesn't feel as soulful to me, and the rewind feature in the games I've played feels cheap.

The market for racing sims isn't one that really seems to bite every year like with traditional sports titles, so I think the franchise can bear the long release cycle.

Edit:
I played GTSport back at PAX East last year, and I didn't have to wait at all to get a turn at one of the two stations they had running. The game was brilliant and I'm confident it will live up to my mechanical expectations, but it didn't seem to have the hype of almost any of the other games on the floor.

Double edit:
And it's completely optional. No one holds a gun to your head and forces you to use it. Options aren't a bad thing unless you're an elitist who thinks there is accomplishment in finishing a hard video game.

Is this going to be another "Why doesn't Dark Souls have an easy mode?" debate?

Smokey

Yes.

-GT6 should've been on Ps4
-They give PD too much leeway. The content they produce doesn't add up. Especially when their competitors pump out 2 or 3 game's in the same span it takes PD to make one. I'm all for perfection, but it doesn't add up.

I love PD, Gran Turismo is my racer of choice. But they live and operate in a bubble.

Agree with everything here.

GTs take forever to come out and competition if fierce in today's market. Back when GT was primarily the only racing title of its kind on console, I think it was more "acceptable" to let them operate at their own pace, but in the modern day, I don't think it's a good thing. Looks even worse when you have Forza that consistently releases a product of a high quality.

Duxxy3

Thinking about it, I wonder if they pushed the GT6 release to the PS3/2013 in order to hit the 15th anniversary year. I mean they could have delayed it to the PS4 release year if they really wanted to, right?

Development should have been shifted to PS4 as soon as Sony had development kits for the PS4. That's on Sony for allowing Polyphony to continue PS3 development.

I think they have mismanaged Kazunori Yamauchi.

Letting him do whatever the fuck he wants because GT sells is probably gonna bite them in the ass at some point.

The competition got a lot of time to not only catch up, but in some aspects surpass GT.

GT does not exist in a vacuum anymore - something Sony and Kazunori seem to forget.

IMO the series went downhill after 3 A-Spec. (Which is probably the greatest racing game of all time)

I think is more of they have too..
if they want to pump out gt's like that they'll have to find someone else.

Glasfrut

Neo Member
Development should have been shifted to PS4 as soon as Sony had development kits for the PS4. That's on Sony for allowing Polyphony to continue PS3 development.

Agreed.

But they had one Sony higher-up claiming it would remain a PS3 title and them revealing it at the 15th anniversary celebration at Silverstone that year...I wonder if they were too adamant on hitting that mark. Perhaps they should have stuck with Prologue for PS3 and gone full GT6 for PS4 so they could still talk about how they released something in their anniversary year? I have no idea.

KORNdoggy

it needed the PS3 release, otherwise it would have sold like shit due to the PS4's non existent install base (at that time) i totally understand why they released on PS3, it was a system with a userbase of about 70 million at the time, but it really should have been ported across shortly after to capitalize on the new consoles launch... i would have actually bought it if it had a PS4 version.

I think we should wait for GT Sport to actually be released and see how it sells first.

I always find this a weird argument - it’s sales are not a metric of success for me, the consumer. They’re a metric of success for the company. The two can be related, but they can also have nothing to do with each other.

OP, for me, GT has continued to drift further and further from what I loved about with increasing focus on the esoteric and losing focus on critical features - SP experience, sound, trackside visual fidelity - in favour of absurdities like scapes and moon racing. As has been said, Kaz left unchecked is unhealthy, and he should have long, long ago taken lessons from his competitors in a number of domains.

And yes absolutely GT6 should have been a PS4 launch window title.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
There was a thread a while ago to predict the review scores for Project Cars 2, FM7 and GTS, with a comparison chart for past reviews for all of their series.

You can see that Gran Turismo series peaked at GT3, then subsequently drop to 80s range since then. Forza on the other hand, has increased for the past 3 titles. PCars1 and now 2 is consistently getting 80s and 90s.

metascoregt-fm-pcnwa3j.jpg

Absolutely they are mismanaged. It shouldn't take them 4 years to make a game like GT Sport.

Quotes like this are bafflingly ignorant.

4 years, covering the span of a generational transition. 3 year development cycles these days are the norm. 4 years for a game with a reasonable amount of modes and content, off the back of a generational transition, is perfectly reasonable.

Sure the game isn't previous GT-levels of content, but PD is a relatively small dev team and emulating the scope of their previous games with GTS would take them 7-8+ years.. GTS was NEVER going to have as many cars, tracks as previous games. The new car and livery customization features mean dictate that; since that system multiplies the content creation requirements considerably. There's a reason why Forza with it's deep car customization options has never matched up to GT games in terms of the number of cars.

The only reasonable blemish on GTS is its online focus, i.e. that it's missing a comprehensive SP offline mode like in previous games (which for me and many others like me is the bread-and-butter of GT games).

If we're going to condemn someone for mismanaging the series, then it all falls at Kaz's feet, imho. Sony being the publisher have arguably given them a lot of leeway (as they do with many of their dev studios), but unlike studios like ND, GG, MM, for example, Kaz and PD have abused the freedom they've been afforded and have (starting with GT5) consistently not really delivered a string of titles that adequately capture the demands of the driving game consumer and GT fans in a lot of areas.

We can all point to the series sales and claim the series is a big series, but critical reception is important to the long term health of a franchise, and so it's undeniable that Kaz and PD have consistently under-delivered. We see this reflected in the review scores as well as the consistently declining series sales since GT3 A-spec. (of course the market contraction of racing gamers is a factor here).

There was a thread a while ago to predict the review scores for Project Cars 2, FM7 and GTS, with a comparison chart for past reviews for all of their series.

You can see that Gran Turismo series peaked at GT3, then subsequently drop to 80s range since then. Forza on the other hand, has increased for the past 3 titles. PCars1 and now 2 is consistently getting 80s and 90s.

metascoregt-fm-pcnwa3j.jpg

I don't think it's fair to compare any of the Horizon games against GT. Strip those games out and still Forza has the edge, but it's much less of a consistent story than you're suggesting.

Duxxy3

it needed the PS3 release, otherwise it would have sold like shit due to the PS4's non existent install base (at that time) i totally understand why they released on PS3, it was a system with a userbase of about 70 million at the time, but it really should have been ported across shortly after to capitalize on the new consoles launch... i would have actually bought it if it had a PS4 version.

Yeah it was at 70 million, but there wasn't any excitement in that system any longer. There was a ton of excitement for the PS4. 2013 had been great for them. The PS4 reveal went very well. E3 was incredible for them. The Last of Us was amazing. And then the PS4 launched. GT6 on the PS4 would have been a great way to cap off 2013.

Quotes like this are bafflingly ignorant.

4 years, covering the span of a generational transition. 3 year development cycles these days are the norm. 4 years for a game with a reasonable amount of modes and content, off the back of a generational transition, is perfectly reasonable.

Sure the game isn't previous GT-levels of content, but PD is a relatively small dev team and emulating the scope of their previous games with GTS would take them 7-8+ years.. GTS was NEVER going to have as many cars, tracks as previous games. The new car and livery customization features mean dictate that; since that system multiplies the content creation requirements considerably. There's a reason why Forza with it's deep car customization options has never matched up to GT games in terms of the number of cars.

The only reasonable blemish on GTS is its online focus, i.e. that it's missing a comprehensive SP offline mode like in previous games (which for me and many others like me is the bread-and-butter of GT games).

If we're going to condemn someone for mismanaging the series, then it all falls at Kaz's feet, imho. Sony being the publisher have arguably given them a lot of leeway (as they do with many of their dev studios), but unlike studios like ND, GG, MM, for example, Kaz and PD have abused the freedom they've been afforded and have (starting with GT5) consistently not really delivered a string of titles that adequately capture the demands of the driving game consumer and GT fans in a lot of areas.

We can all point to the series sales and claim the series is a big series, but critical reception is important to the long term health of a franchise, and so it's undeniable that Kaz and PD have consistently under-delivered. We see this reflected in the review scores as well as the consistently declining series sales since GT3 A-spec. (of course the market contraction of racing gamers is a factor here).

Forza 7 has 700+ cars on a 2 year dev cycle though?

theWB27

Since when did scores mean anything? This is a business. All that matters to them is sales. Something Forza doesn't come close to GT in despite being multiplatform.

Please show us your qualifications in game creation. You seem knowledgeable.

Pretty disingenuous to talk the history of sales and mention Forza being multiplatform as if this isn't the first time a full fledged Motorsport is being released on PC.

Elandyll

Banned
Well... Yes and No.

You don't 'mismanage' a title that still sells as good as GT5 did between the prologue and actual release.

After that, the only way GT6 makes sense ... is that it was delivered by PD late (shocking!). And for a title that was delivered in a supposedly DOA period (after the new gen arrived), it still sold north of 5m units afaik.

For Sony to justify some serious changes at PD (which are obviously overdue), they need to see a legit decline that can only be explained by the studio mishandling the series.

It's a conundrum ... To implement changes with a justification, Sony needs the series to visibly be harmed other than an outside factor (like a new gen releasing), or risk having the studio director (and probably his staff) walk out to reform and possibly publish huge selling racers outside of the Sony brand.
This being said, nobody should hope for GTS to be bad, obviously. A good game is a good game, regardles if the fans were hoping to have an nth variation on a classic GT experience.

My 2cps.

GlamFM

Banned
Forza 7 has 700+ cars on a 2 year dev cycle though?

PD are stubborn when it comes to outsourcing busywork.

They just wont do it.

It slows them down considerably and makes games feel unfinished and outdated when they come out.

Seems like they still have not fully caught up to the HD era.

Gran Turismo 5 was the last one I played because that's the last one that was available to me (Sold PS3 towards my PS4). I WOULD have bought GT6 if it came to PS4 so that was a missed opportunity/sale.

I'm itching for a new GT, but Sport doesn't sound like it's my kind of game. I'm not in to online racing and it seems like single player content is limited though i'll wait for reviews to give me a final decision.

In summation, yes. I think they have handled GT poorly. At least for this generation. I think they could have avoided some of the negativity fairly simply by placing GT6 on PS4. It hasn't been 7 years since the last GT was released, but it feels like that to me because GT6 wasn't brought over.

Now I'm curious how much longer i'll be waiting for GT7 or if that's even coming. Maybe GT Sport is successful enough to keep it going as the dreaded 'games as a service' model. I absolutely adored Driveclub, but we all know the story there. So as of right now, it's looking like Project Cars 2 might be something i'll try down the line if I want my racing fix. That or play Forza when I eventually get a One S.

KORNdoggy

Yeah it was at 70 million, but there wasn't any excitement in that system any longer. There was a ton of excitement for the PS4. 2013 had been great for them. The PS4 reveal went very well. E3 was incredible for them. The Last of Us was amazing. And then the PS4 launched. GT6 on the PS4 would have been a great way to cap off 2013.

it would have also flopped in sales if it was only on that system. i mean about 7% of all PS3 owners bought GT6. how many do you think it would have sold on PS4 with its launch userbase of zero? 10% of all PS4 owners after a year still wouldn't have amounted to the same sales figures. GT6 had the best chance on PS3. it was just unfortunate it sat so close to the PS4 launch and it wasn't a cross gen title.

at the end of the day it has still sold almost 5 million copies on PS3. it's hardly a failure. it's just a failure compared to its previous entries, hell, GT5 prologue sold more than it. but for me GT5 prologue represents what GTS could be. it's the first taste of GT on the latest console...prologue last gen proved there is a legitimate thirst for that.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Hey everyone!

So I was thinking about this the other day, how a huge sales juggernaut like GT can be swept under the rug so easily.

I'm not that knowledgable when it comes to GT so the experts can correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that it really started with GT6 being released exclusively on the PS3 after the PS4 came out - not even a PS4 port was seen in sight.

But despite that, it still sold relatively well, especially when compared to franchises that have so much more money/marketing poured into them.

And now we come to GT Sport which it seems Sony has dropped the ball again (at least in terms of visible marketing, dedicated time in conferences and certain features being barebones -- this what I gathered anyway from the numerous GT threads e.g. no dynamic weather, primarily an online focus, cut back SP etc.

Even at the PS Asia conference there wasn't any significant marketing nor at TGS where they could have at least showed off the weather.

It's just baffling and mind-boggling to me that such a huge franchise with such a big pull and guaranteed commercial success even on a bad entry could be treated this poorly.

I understand the racing market has changed, especially in the US, but still, if feels GT could have maintained its popularity, at least if Sony were just a little less careless with their management of it.

What do you guys think?
Question isnt why. It's how.

1) Releasing GT6 on the PS3 despite knowing they were going to have a barebones launch. It should have been a PS4 game designed from the ground up on the PS4.
2) Letting Kaz do whatever he wants. 4 years of flying around the world, driving expensive cars, palling around with superstars and partying and no real single player mode. The guy should've been fired for abusing company expenses. sounds hilarious but its true.
3) Firing the wrong studio. they shut down Evolution studios after mismanaging them to oblivion. look at the GT beta. its been going on forever. DriveClub didnt even get a beta and was obviously a mess at launch.

Top Bottom