• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

h0tp0ck3t

Ugh, really stuck at the second boss. Am level 40, using the twin rigged weapon, proficiency 14. Using two injector chips, the chip that increases twin rigged damage, stamina boost, v1 damage booster, heal over time. Using the helm and legs from the toxic guys, security arms, and the basic chest rig. What can I improve? I'm having a hard time dodging the arm slams properly, and in the second phase I can't hit him without taking damage.

I think it's better to go with one armor set for the set bonus rather than a hodgepodge of different armor types. I was running a mess of Lynx Scarab and Gorgon parts and just was getting messed up by regular enemies way too much. The Lynx armor set increases attack speed at full health and uses less stamina to dodging and I find it works great with Twin Rigged for quick hits and then still having stamina to dash away

nynt9

I think it's better to go with one armor set for the set bonus rather than a hodgepodge of different armor types. I was running a mess of Lynx Scarab and Gorgon parts and just was getting messed up by regular enemies way too much. The Lynx armor set increases attack speed at full health and uses less stamina to dodging and I find it works great with Twin Rigged for quick hits and then still having stamina to dash away

The guard pieces are better than the Lynx gear though, I think. Also the Lynx set is ugly, lol. I didn't know there were set bonuses.

*Splinter

Ugh, really stuck at the second boss. Am level 40, using the twin rigged weapon, proficiency 14. Using two injector chips, the chip that increases twin rigged damage, stamina boost, v1 damage booster, heal over time. Using the helm and legs from the toxic guys, security arms, and the basic chest rig. What can I improve? I'm having a hard time dodging the arm slams properly, and in the second phase I can't hit him without taking damage.
I had the same problem until I swapped to a heavy weapon. Only takes one or two hits to damage/stagger that boss so you are less likely to take damage in return.

I used single rigged dash attacks mostly.

TheKeyPit

Banned
All I get is health and energy implants(I found one that grants elemental damage, but that's it). When did you guys get something that improves different stats?

bati

Oh boy even more of these leaper enemies. They're everywhere now and can do a full healthbar of damage. Great.

If you're using a single rig weapon you can cheese them easily with dash attack. Just lock on to their tail and you'll do pretty good damage.

Does anyone have a list of all lockboxes that require X amount of core power to open? I really don't feel like backtracking through the entire game.

Oh boy even more of these leaper enemies. They're everywhere now and can do a full healthbar of damage. Great.

the game REALLY expects you to use some +hp implants. It'll help with that.

Quite evident once you realize that level ups don't increase base hp in any way whatsoever.

bati

the game REALLY expects you to use some +hp implants. It'll help with that.

Quite evident once you realize that level ups don't increase base hp in any way whatsoever.

This. I'm playing with 2 (at my core level that means 106 extra hp which is HUGE). My loadout at core level 60:

2x Vital Boost mk3 (adds 53 base hp)
2x Plasmic Regen mk3 (180 hp over 30s, 6 consumables total)
1x Vital Injection mk3 (160 hp instantly, 3 consumables total)
1x Medi-Voltaic Injection mk3 (converts 24 energy to 50 health)
1x Endurance Enhancer mk5 (adds 31 energy, max is 50)
1x Toxic Autofilter (prevents toxic damage)
1x Medical Audit (shows enemy hp)
1x Rig Capacitor XL (prevents stored energy from dropping below 30%)

With this I can go on long exploration stretches as long as I'm careful and don't take too much damage. I very rarely use instant heals.

Anyone happen to know what area of Central Production B this symbol represents?

tivc.jpg

Zutrax

Just beat the second boss.

I really enjoy this game so far. The combat mechanics are leagues ahead of Lords of the Fallen, the second area was huge and I thought the level design was clever with tons of cool secrets and shortcuts. The combat feels good, it's very Bloodborne esque, rewards aggressiveness and works well using a light speedy build which was nigh impossible in LotF.

So far my biggest issues are the lack of level/enemy variety up to now, and how unforgiving the game can be in seemingly unfair ways.

I am fine with difficult, I've beaten every souls-like game multiple times, but sometimes the enemies seem to get some pretty cheap shots off due to hit-stun not working quite as I expect it to and sometimes hitting the wrong body parts. They can easily one-shot me despite me seeming overlevelled with decent MK.II equipment. I got stuck for quite some time in the waste disposal area. A lot of deaths felt cheap rather than my fault which is one of my biggest frustrations in gaming.

Does the game seem to get a bit less unfair as it goes on, maybe more enemy variety? I think the game is great and will remain great, but it is edging on fantastic if it weren't for the staleness of it's level variety, and enemy variety.

CrazyHal

I beat the game last night and overall it was pretty good. It sure is a hell of a lot better than Lords of the fallen but there's still much room for improvements. Overall it's a solid 7/10 for me.

Rarius

I just realized why I don't have the Lynx chest, for some reason I can't torso the enemies early on unlike literally every other human character in the game

*Splinter

Just killed the yellow crusher thing that's standing in poison. Man that was a frustrating fight. Had to kill the drones first which makes the big guy do that spinning attack, and every time I got it low on health the flamethrower guy would get involved. All the while taking constant ticks of 10 damage from poiso-

1x Toxic Autofilter (prevents toxic damage)
...oh

Right.

Of course, yes.

pa22word

Beta patch up on steam now. Patch notes:

The Surge - Update 52956 (P4) 33449 (SVN)

Bug Fixes
Mapping the dodge button to Circle will no longer cause the player to dodge every time the player "backs out" of the game menu.
Possible crash when leaving New Game+ at the beginning and starting a new game.
Gameplay blocker if the player does not collect the Security Exo-Rig after destroying the case. This will also fix broken saves.
Various AR elements should no longer appear in the wrong locations.
Counter attacks on drone enemies are no longer interrupted when using a Single-rigged weapon.
Closed door in Resolve Biolabs now opens correctly. This will also fix broken saves.
Using an implant that is on cooldown in the same moment an enemy is finished will no longer cause a repeating error message .
Fixed issues where armor items were unable to be equipped in New Game+.
Hobbs no longer asks for help after the player has helped him.
Player can no longer get stuck at certain stairs in the tunnels of Resolve Biolabs.
Player can no longer target the upper part of PAX while PAX is standing up.
Sorting items by 'Newest' now works properly.
Removed Quicksave/Quickload bindings.

Improvements & Tweaks
Improved behavior of the Security Guard.
The music in Ops will no longer play after the player has died and respawned.
Improved behavior of the Black Cerberus when his attacks are blocked.
Elevator positions have been adjusted to avoid waiting for an elevator after dying.
Proximity Sensor no longer emits a beeping sound when an enemy is locked.
Character is now invulnerable for a short time after a finishing move is finished.
Increased the duration of the stamina buff triggered when collecting enough Tech Scrap to be worth a level up.
Reduced the stamina cost for continually blocking.
Increased the time for the continual block stamina cost to begin.

RIP country song ;-;

Adding iframes to execution move is much appreciated, as is blocking not being so costly.

Also, I saved the binds for the developer options in case anyone wants to add them back in at a later date for shits and giggles:

Code:
// load/save
KC_F5  = VK_QUICKSAVE
KC_F8  = VK_QUICKLOAD
//KC_F6  = VK_AUTOSAVE
//KC_F10 = VK_AUTOLOAD

// dbg/dev
KC_F2       = VK_ACTIVATE_FREE_CAM_GAME_STATE
KC_TAB	    = VK_TOGGLE_DEBUG_PANEL
KC_P        = VK_SHOW_PLAYER_POSITION
KC_F3       = VK_PUSH_EDITING_GAMESTATE_KEEP_CAMERA_XFORM
KC_F11      = VK_TOGGLE_GUI
KC_ESCAPE   = VK_SHOW_MENU
KC_ADD      = VK_INCREASE_GAME_SPEED
KC_SUBTRACT = VK_DECREASE_GAME_SPEED
KC_F7       = VK_RESET_GAME_SPEED
KC_K        = VK_KILL_SWITCH

Go to bindings_mkb_default.ini and just copy/paste them in there.

bati

Damn
Black Cerberus
is such an amazing fight. Brutal and unforgiving but at the same time very fair and straightforward. Easily one of my favorites in Souls and Souls-likes. Am I correct that he
heals based on how long you take with the PAX? I had to deal with two, comboed both once they were on the ground.

I think I fucked up with the special weapon though,
I was targeting his right arm the whole time and pressed X at the end but didn't get the 2.0 version.

edit: Also, Lynx + Slowmo implant (forgot where I found it, but it's mk4) is simply amazing, I highly recommend this combo.

pa22word

Does anyone know how to check what benefits a set of armor gives you? I just crafted the security set and notice a blip on the screen telling me I'm getting the bonus, but I can't see anywhere that would tell me where I might be able to see what it's actually doing. nvm figured it out lol, Status screen

Also, what's the best way to grind out armor crafting materials? I need more (preferably of a low grade, lol) so I can craft an armor set for the security armor sidequest but I have no more materials to do so. I know you can get tungstan simply by scavenging an armor set you already picked up, but can't see anything for armor materials other than just picking them up.

*Splinter

Does anyone know how to check what benefits a set of armor gives you? I just crafted the security set and notice a blip on the screen telling me I'm getting the bonus, but I can't see anywhere that would tell me where I might be able to see what it's actually doing.

Also, what's the best way to grind out armor crafting materials? I need more (preferably of a low grade, lol) so I can craft an armor set for the security armor sidequest but I have no more materials to do so. I know you can get tungstan simply by scavenging an armor set you already picked up, but can't see anything for armor materials other than just picking them up.
Tungsten is from weapons, armour pieces give their respective parts.

You need to find rhino or lynx for mk 1

I love how item acquisition is tied to actual cutting it off your enemy. You don't have to farm a stupid dreg just to get the Flameberge sword. I want your weapon, I take your weapon.

pa22word

Tungsten is from weapons, armour pieces give their respective parts.

You need to find rhino or lynx for mk 1

Yeah I know that.

I need the actual material to craft them. Chasis Matrices or whatever they're called. Doing executions has netted me nothing, I've been running around area 1 killing dudes and gotten nothing but wrecked lynx parts.

*Splinter

Yeah I know that.

I need the actual material to craft them. Chasis Matrices or whatever they're called. Doing executions has netted me nothing, I've been running around area 1 killing dudes and gotten nothing but wrecked lynx parts.
When you go to the armour station it should convert them?

bati

Good thing the combat in this game is so good because I just restarted for the third time lol. The salt when I failed to acquire 2.0 version of the 4th boss' weapon was a little too much. I also really appreciate how much more effective accrued knowledge is in this game compared to souls games. I feel like the application of different tactics, once you figure them out, hold up much better overall, mostly thanks to slower combat and enemies that don't track you until their combos are done lol.

N° 2048

Good thing the combat in this game is so good because I just restarted for the third time lol. The salt when I failed to acquire 2.0 version of the 4th boss' weapon was a little too much. I also really appreciate how much more effective accrued knowledge is in this game compared to souls games. I feel like the application of different tactics, once you figure them out, hold up much better overall, mostly thanks to slower combat and enemies that don't track you until their combos are done lol.

Can't you just get them in NG+?

NG+ keeps going on and on (NG++, NG+++, etc) according to devs.

Kinda wish there was an upgraded version of the enemy bars mod that allowed you to see enemy stamina values. Its absence makes it feel like enemies have something close to infinite stamina.

One thing crushing me in this game is the stamina consumption while defending!

you're really supposed to treat blocking kinda like a parry. Game hates turtlers.

bati

Can't you just get them in NG+?

NG+ keeps going on and on (NG++, NG+++, etc) according to devs.

Sure, but I often restart these games (Dark Souls etc) so I can breeze through levels once I know where everything is.

edit: I'm also focusing on a different weapon type this run. The titan that you can get in the first level is surprisingly effective.

pa22word

Has anyone else found the developers choice to drop the pretense finally with these games and just drop the rpg systems really refreshing?

I mean souls went to stupid lengths to try and systemize combat with the dumb fp stat in 3 that basically everyone and even the game basically just ignored and in souls 2 the asinine adp stat everyone just flat out fucking hated, then bloodborne had the least system heavy gameplay in the series and no one really cared. This game just saying fuck it and tying everything to rig building and thus back into the gameplay via the targeting mechanic is truly inspired.

So many devs are just shoving systems in everywhere because that's what's hot now, to see one take a look at where they were pointless and remove them is super cool to see and very refreshing.

N° 2048

Has anyone else found the developers choice to drop the pretense finally with these games and just drop the rpg systems really refreshing?

I mean souls went to stupid lengths to try and systemize combat with the dumb fp stat in 3 that basically everyone and even the game basically just ignored and in souls 2 the asinine adp stat everyone just flat out fucking hated, then bloodborne had the least system heavy gameplay in the series and no one really cared. This game just saying fuck it and tying everything to rig building and thus back into the gameplay via the targeting mechanic is truly inspired.

So many devs are just shoving systems in everywhere because that's what's hot now, to see one take a look at where they were pointless and remove them is super cool to see and very refreshing.

It feels amazing. This game is a sleeper hit for me this year.
I can see it in my top 10 GOTY.

edit: I'm also focusing on a different weapon type this run. The titan that you can get in the first level is surprisingly effective.

that'd be down to every weapon in the same category having *really* similar stats. Weapon speed is fixed by category, but aside from that Stun and Energy Gain vary wildly, with very few genuinely trash weapons. Only minor variations in damage inside the same category, buuuut because some apply it as elemental, there might be significant differences with the numbers you might get.

Is a pretty decent system, tbh.

Do have the impression that "elemental" is an universal type, however, and there are no distinctions between elec, fire or acid/toxic wrt different enemy defense values for each one.

Jolkien

When/where can I find a decent two handed hammer weapon ? Just came across my first one in the second area but the scaling is very low, which I assume is very bad. I've been using the single rig weapon dropped by the first boss so far.

It feels amazing. This game is a sleeper hit for me this year.
I can see it in my top 10 GOTY.
Yeah same. This is currently my #2, I've enjoyed it that much and I've probably died over 100 times but the shortcuts kill the frustration, the combat is satisfying and I'm kinda into the whole sci-fi horror industrialized motif they went for here.

pa22word

Fall damage is really weird in this game. Some areas you fall a few feet and it's 20% off, others like the second area ops station you can do a running jump straight down to the bridge from the causeway and take like 5% damage on a 40' drop lol >.>

You know someone fucked up dmg balancing in the Nucleus when those fucking crystal laser enemies hit harder than the god damn boss.

When/where can I find a decent two handed hammer weapon ? Just came across my first one in the second area but the scaling is very low, which I assume is very bad. I've been using the single rig weapon dropped by the first boss so far.

it really isn't. Scaling is mostly irrelevant. Plus that yellow hammer has a Very High stun, which is Very Good. If you're gonna stick with hammers, even the very low scaling wont be a problem.

Game will eventually shove other hammer types in your direction.

Fall damage is really weird in this game. Some areas you fall a few feet and it's 20% off, others like the second area ops station you can do a running jump straight down to the bridge from the causeway and take like 5% damage on a 40' drop lol >.>

Attack while falling and you'll take zero dmg.

pa22word

Yeah same. This is currently my #2, I've enjoyed it that much and I've probably died over 100 times but the shortcuts kill the frustration, the combat is satisfying and I'm kinda into the whole sci-fi horror industrialized motif they went for here.
Yeah been a fucking awesome year for sci-fi. Neir, Prey, and now this. All three of them are in my top 10 for this year easy, and it's just may!

Jingo

Im a little confuse, what is the blue bar (energy) about? I fill it but it starts do decrease fast, am i missing something?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so is there a consensus for lenght yet? like a normal playthrough, with some exploration, trying to see most of what it has to offer but still playing it normally? You know what I mean >_>

Top Bottom