• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is this Menendez trial anything to shit bricks about.

Press building it up as something huge, but it would take a lot of circumstances for a Republican to take his spot.

TIL there is actually a FEMA director who was confirmed in June, and the guy seems massively qualified. I mean that outright, and not just in a "compared to everyone else" sense. Well, get him to Texas ASAP.

TIL there is actually a FEMA director who was confirmed in June, and the guy seems massively qualified. I mean that outright, and not just in a "compared to everyone else" sense. Well, get him to Texas ASAP.
That's great to hear. Hopefully the response will be competent if the forecast verifies.

So is this Menendez trial anything to shit bricks about.

Press building it up as something huge, but it would take a lot of circumstances for a Republican to take his spot.

I don't think it's "a lot" of circumstances. If he's forced to resign before Christie is out, then the GOP will gain an additional senator until 2018.

chadskin

Trump retweeted this image:

DH_ouugUwAESX_R.jpg

Blader

I don't think it's "a lot" of circumstances. If he's forced to resign before Christie is out, then the GOP will gain an additional senator until 2018.

It would only be a problem if he was convicted before January and then voluntarily resigned. McConnell could put a vote to have Menendez expelled from the Senate as soon as he's convicted, but that requires a two-thirds majority, which Schumer can easily knock down on the grounds that an unpopular, lame-duck governor who is a few months away from leaving office should not be allowed to appoint a senator for a full year. Just call it a variation on The McConnell Rule!

Leigh Ann Caldwell‏Verified account @LACaldwellDC 22m22 minutes ago

Trump is "serious" about a government shutdown if he doesn't get funding for his border wall reports @PeterAlexander

- Convicted
- Resigns or 2/3s Senate votes to impeach;
- All before January

Very tight deadline if you ask me

sazzy

Bermann on CNN: Perhaps the President is indicating he's a dark, inanimate object obstructing a source of light.

re: the eclipse tweet

Here's my question, why did Sessions recuse himself in the first place? I suppose he didn't see this shit spiraling out of control/never foresaw Comey getting fired in the first place?

dramatis

I don't think Sessions was going to stick his neck out for Trump. The nature of Trump's admin is that everyone is literally in it for themselves.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Bermann on CNN: Perhaps the President is indicating he's a dark, inanimate object obstructing a source of light.

re: the eclipse tweet

That eclipse thing was done weeks beforehand with Obama in front of Trump.

Wouldn't he need a big majority of the votes for that though?

They can override a veto with a 2/3rds super majority. If the House and Senate work out a deal with Democrats that will keep the government open and handle the debt ceiling issue -I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do just that. i.e. Russia sanctions bill.

I said it a month ago, Democrats are in a surprisingly good position from a leverage standpoint thanks to Trumps public nonsense. If the wall is the hill he wants to die on, Dems aren't going to help. They'll let the R's take the hit for shutting the government down. They can try to blame Democrats all they like but when you control Congress and the White House - the shit falls squarely on your shoulders.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
That picture just reinforces that the primary ideology of Trump is sticking it to Obama. What a petty asshole.

Need dems for that. He'd have to make concessions on the budget... again.

By any measure, he's going have to make concessions anyways. Pelosi will exact her pound of flesh before that budget gets setup for a vote.

Theyre all aboard the Trump train, yes

Not all. There's a fiscal conservatives wing of that caucus like the Justin Amash's of the world who have been vocally against the wall. I can't say the number is high on that front, but you may see some defections in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom