• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
DH_0T45UQAIabdI.jpg:large
I just can't understand his logic when he says this type of stuff. Trump could publish the letter himself. I doubt that he is fully lying about it (unlike the Comey tapes).

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I just can't understand his logic when he says this type of stuff. Trump could publish the letter himself. I doubt that he is fully lying about it (unlike the Comey tapes).
The reason you know it's a lie is because he said it.

The letter I still want to see is whatever obama wrote to him in the desk. More gravitas in that piece of paper than trump could muster in three lifetimes.

The reason you know it's a lie is because he said it.

The letter I still want to see is whatever obama wrote to him in the desk. More gravitas in that piece of paper than trump could muster in three lifetimes.

Aren't these things added to public record after a set amount of time? It'll be awhile, but I think it'll be out eventually, unless he destroyed it (which is possible)

Wilsongt

The question on an NPR show right now is why Ben Carson is the head of HUD, then all of these wordy reasons for why.

We all fucking know why Carson is the head of HUD.

What do the Russians get in return? He... flips parties? The buying company almost went bankrupt because of bad purchases like this. It just seems way more likely to me that they made a bad investment. You'll recall that it was during this decade that fracking destroyed the coal industry. Again, $580 million or whatever it is is an ungodly amount of money.
That just sounds like networking to me.

Espionage is networking. It's not all James Bond stuff. Most of it is pretty boring. You try to do little favors for people and then get them to do little favors for you. Ideally, you create a cycle of larger and larger favors until you've either effectively bought the person or you have enough to blackmail them into compliance. It's all about creating assets.

The first Flynn interaction with Russia we know about was him being payed $45,000. No one sells out their country for $45,000; that's not what the Russian's bought with that money. What they bought was the opportunity for another, more significant, interaction with Flynn.

Russia's (or our or any other country's) spy program basically consists of two parts. The first and largest parts function is to simply use its resources to create as many assets as possible. The other part analyzes they assets it has and decides how to strategically use them to further their goals.

I seriously doubt the Russians had anything to do with Justice flipping parties, that was just a (smart) political move on his part. They used him as a cutout to probe the Trump campaign. He would have other uses as well. West Virginia's Governor is always going to have a seat at the table at any US energy resources debate. They wouldn't need him to do anything drastic, a delay here or maybe an introduced idea there. He wouldn't need to do anything he wouldn't feel uncomfortable doing for Russia to extract value from their relationship.

Ah, just like the Jeb/GWB days.
I think if the Bush brothers demonstrated anything it's that having your brother be the governor of a major swing state (not that Texas is anywhere near Florida in that regard), especially during a recount can be quite the boon for your campaign.

Kusagari

I wouldn't be surprised if Russia has been sending out feelers to Russa-friendly billionaires for years now in an effort to get them to think about running for office.

They have much to gain from it.

I know, this thread gets perilously close to McCarthyism at points. As a rule of thumb, when the two choices are someone saw a way to play the system to get bad money, and a giant and complex conspiracy theory involving Russians influencing people before they even clearly became political actors because ???, it's probably the first.

There's enough worrying stuff Russia is doing (Zapad 17) to not need to invent stuff.

If you were an intelligence outfit and you knew that many people will play system to make bad money and one of your largest resources is a fleet of oligarchs, what else are you going to do?

Creating a low level asset and waiting for them to develop (or even helping them develop) is a better use of resources than trying to flip someone who already has power. It's similar to how sports teams are better off developing prospects than they are signing free agent all-stars.

We know the Russians tried to flip Carter fucking Page! They aim low. We don't know if they ever made him an asset, but we can see that it was an astute bet on their part because, since they tried to do that in 2013 he went from a nobody underling to one of the GOP candidate for president's Foreign Policy Advisors.

That's how this shit works. Russia's military drills are concerning, military might alone isn't how a country with a GDP below Italy's constantly punches above it's weight on the national stage.

This is hilarious. What on earth has Julian ever done to where can act like he has a presidential campaign that is under some sort of risk.

What other office is Julian going to run for? He says he hates congress so rule that out I guess. He hasn't made his own case for running for governor as far as I know.. right now he is as qualified to be POTUS as Ben Carson.

I seriously don't get though why if Julian wants to be POTUS so bad he doesn't just run for it himself. I'm really tired of these dweebs who act like they can just spring board to run for the highest office in the country with out doing anything else of value first.

Joaquin should run for governor and not give a crap about his brother because Joaquin actually has a political career at this point

Schumer has actually been pretty impressive at politicking. He has the easy job for now, but I have more confidence in how he'll do as Majority Leader should he ever get there.

Schumer has actually been pretty impressive at politicking. He has the easy job for now, but I have more confidence in how he'll do as Majority Leader should he ever get there.

His constituency may include the thieves of Wall St. but he learned from Reid how to wield power in the margins of the Senate's arcane rulebook.

Kick em in the nads, Chuck!

Think of how much time the next President will have to waste re-hiring people for the Executive branch to simply function normally. Then the GOP can swoop in an yell "NOT FAST ENOUGH!"

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Ac30

Schumer is looking to disband the Trump Election Integrity commission by tying it to one of the must pass bills in September.

DIAPkCMW0AEpyZx.jpg

Here's the full article:

https://medium.com/@SenSchumer/afte...end-the-assault-on-voting-rights-2afe5134097f

He's also pushing it via twitter as well:

https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/900736775869652992

Add it to the list of reasons why September will be entertaining to watch.

So many people replying are claiming he's anti-integrity, just because of the commission's name. Obama clearly wasn't thinking right when he didn't name the ACA the Affordable Care Act For Dying Orphans.

Naw, nevermind, I'm sure Mitch is against helping dying orphans.

Teggy

Bob Herman
Bob Herman @bobjherman
JUST IN: Ohio Dept of Insurance says CareSource will sell ACA health plans in Ohio's Paulding County. No more empty ACA counties.
11:33 AM · Aug 24, 2017

jtb

Banned
Schumer is great. He adapted very quickly to the Trump era (especially with early rumblings about caving/compromising on stuff like infrastructure), and he's a media hound + a fundraising machine.

KingK

As someone who's been very vocal in my disdain for him, I've got to admit he hasn't been too bad so far. He seems to be reading where the Dem base is and reacting to it better than I thought.

I still don't particularly trust or like him, and have some major issues with him still, but for now he's alright.

And I've always loved Pelosi since the early days of Obama's term, so no problems there other than her terribly awkward public speaking abilities. She is getting up there in age though, so I'm not sure she'll get to be speaker again unless Dems pull off a miracle next year. Ideally I'd like to see all of these 70s pushing 80 year old democrats start to move aside and let a younger generation build a profile. That includes Bernie and Biden, both of whom I hope have the sense not to run in 2020.

Trump hit 34 on Gallup again.

Not when he's taken ZERO initiative on holding town halls on why people should be excited about "TrumpDontCare" let alone actually worked on the the piece legislation. He has nobody to blame but himself.
Nah, all of the GOP has a piece of this pie. ACA was a team effort and all parties pushing AHCA have been woefully incompetent. The only way Ryan even got it passed in the House was that by promising that it wouldn't be the actual bill.

Schumer is great. He adapted very quickly to the Trump era (especially with early rumblings about caving/compromising on stuff like infrastructure), and he's a media hound + a fundraising machine.
Yeah, really early into Trump's term things were a bit more up in the air, so I understand offering a token suggestion that we can work with him on this or that. Obviously he proved, very quickly that he doesn't deserve any of that benefit of the doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom