• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

money_laundering_scheme_big.jpg

Could also be that the coal industry has gone down the tubes since then, but I like your explanation better.

Mike M

Nick N
HES ONLY DOING THIS BECAUSE HE WAS PISSY PEOPLE TOLD HIM HE SHOULDNT BAN TRANS SERVICEMEMBERS

HE IS A PETTY MONSTER
I'm almost inclined to think in light of his comments last night about shutting down the government to fund the wall that he thinks doing this will somehow free to the necessary funding.

Fucking cunt.

Of all the people I expected to be tied up in the Russia scandal, Jim Justice wasn't anywhere near the top 10. But on paper, it makes perfect sense. The only difference between him and Trump was he was a Democrat, and now that's out the window.

Wait, sold for $600 million and then bought back for $5 million.

WTF happened?

Spending $595M to buy off the Governor of Freaking West Virginia doesn't seem like it would be a very good value proposition for the Russians, yet here we are. Were they perhaps confused and thought it was Virginia-Virginia? Even that would be crazy.

Putin's the richest man in the world, worth hundreds of billions of dollars. I'm not saying it happened, but it's in the realm of possibility at this point.

Probably buying his loyalty, more than anything. If he was privy to anything involving Trump and the Russians, he'd need to be silenced, and it's a lot harder to knock off a politician here than in Mother Russia without anyone asking questions.

Utterly nauseating amounts of paranoia and nonsense. What is wrong with all of you? The sale happened in 2009 and he bought it back in 2015 because Mechel had to restructure its debt. The mines were losing $60 million a year. There's more to the sale, too, like a royalty agreement with Mechel. This took all of 20 seconds to google.

Also, this doesn't even make any sense compared to other claims. Why would the Russians pay off a West Virginia governor for almost $600M in 2009 and only pay Trump like $89M to buy his loyalty? Also, uh, why West Virginia? At some point you need to evaluate the basic components of your conspiracy theory.

Mostly importantly, shame on Joy Reid, a lunatic pundit disguised as a journalist, for propagating nonsense. But just asking questions, right?

NoName999

The Transgender Ban is actually going to happen

The White House is expected to send guidance to the Pentagon in coming days on how to implement a new administration ban on transgender people in the military, issuing a policy that will allow Defense Secretary Jim Mattis to consider a service member’s ability to deploy in deciding whether to kick them out of the military.

The White House memo also directs the Pentagon to deny admittance to transgender individuals and to stop spending on medical treatment regimens for those currently serving, according to U.S. officials familiar with the document.

The 2½-page memo gives Mr. Mattis six months to prepare to fully implement the new ban, according to these officials.

Fuck Trump

I look forward to the next Democrat President just lifting the ban in the first month of his/her presidency - making this whole thing utterly pointless.
The nice thing about Trump (gross) is that besides Gorsuch (which admittedly is a rather large caveat) and any other judicial appointments, like everything he's done directly is completely reversible. Now, the damage to our international reputation and relationships will be much harder to repair, but that's more of an indirect effect.

If I were any other country in the world I wouldn't trust the USA even if Bernie Sanders won the next general election with 75% of the vote. It doesn't matter how good of a president we can elect because as far as world leaders go, Obama was pretty sterling. And we followed it up with this fucking buffoon.

pigeon

Banned
I look forward to the next Democrat President just lifting the ban in the first month of his/her presidency - making this whole thing utterly pointless.

I mean, probably not pointless to the people who will lose their jobs.

I'm still not convinced this ban will actually happen or be legally upheld.

I mean if Mattis doesn't want to go through with it all he has to do is say that gender identity doesn't effect deployability.

Pretty easy to dodge with a 6 month window.

Teggy

We were just talking about Katrina...

Eric Holthaus @EricHolthaus
Just-completed GFS model (12Z) shows nothing less than a flooding catastrophe for Texas. 24-48" of rain in 3 or 4 days.
Please pay attention

Eric Holthaus @EricHolthaus
·
11h
Replying to @EricHolthaus
For reference, Houston's rainiest day in history was 10.34" on 6/26/1989, during a similarly slow-moving tropical storm.
This is way worse.

Utterly nauseating amounts of paranoia and nonsense. What is wrong with all of you? The sale happened in 2009 and he bought it back in 2015 because Mechel had to restructure its debt. The mines were losing $60 million a year. There's more to the sale, too, like a royalty agreement with Mechel. This took all of 20 seconds to google.

Also, this doesn't even make any sense compared to other claims. Why would the Russians pay off a West Virginia governor for almost $600M in 2009 and only pay Trump like $89M to buy his loyalty? Also, uh, why West Virginia? At some point you need to evaluate the basic components of your conspiracy theory.

Mostly importantly, shame on Joy Reid, a lunatic pundit disguised as a journalist, for propagating nonsense. But just asking questions, right?

They both were still sweetheart deals for Justice, even with the dropping price of coal. They didn't do him a $600 million favor, but they still made him millions. I also don't have a hard time believing that Trump is a cheaper date.

My operating assumption is that Russia has been probing for decades seeing who they can cozy up to. Both Democrats and Republicans. I don't even think they had an overarching plan. They were just stockpiling assets and favors to call. So when they wanted to put out feelers to see how amiable Team Trump was to meet, they had plenty of avenues and cutouts. A West Virginia coal baron, a Russian pop star, whoever. We still don't know what came of those probes but we do know that Russia has spent plenty of resources giving itself options to reach out to someone like Trump.

And yeah, I don't like Joy Reid very much and didn't get any of my info on this story from her. I don't think she does particularly good work.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Whelp... fuck. I hope he's wrong.

Unless the track for the storm is off, he is probably not off by any appreciable degree that would mean significantly less problems.

IIRC, predictions on storm movement speed tends to be pretty solid.
And that's one of the main factors for rain amount.

Holmes

Fwiw hurricane projections are usually blown out of proportion before they make landfall. But it doesn't seem like anyone is ready for this one so that's not good.

Is Trump going to drive into Houston next week with a truck full of toys?

They both were still sweetheart deals for Justice, even with the dropping price of coal. They didn't do him a $600 million favor, but they still made him millions. I also don't have a hard time believing that Trump is a cheaper date.
What do the Russians get in return? He... flips parties? The buying company almost went bankrupt because of bad purchases like this. It just seems way more likely to me that they made a bad investment. You'll recall that it was during this decade that fracking destroyed the coal industry. Again, $580 million or whatever it is is an ungodly amount of money.
My operating assumption is that Russia has been probing for decades seeing who they can cozy up to. Both Democrats and Republicans. I don't even think they had an overarching plan. They were just stockpiling assets and favors to call. So when they wanted to put out feelers to see how amiable Team Trump was to meet, they had plenty of avenues and cutouts. A West Virginia coal baron, a Russian pop star, whoever. We still don't know what came of those probes but we do know that Russia has spent plenty of resources giving itself options to reach out to someone like Trump.
That just sounds like networking to me.

Arabic countries favour men, and men's rights, over women. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some form of sex-selection in the middle-east nowadays, using ultrasound and abortion.
I seriously doubt that there is significant sex-selective abortion going on in a region with the highest income inequality globally, centuries of extreme muslim practice, and some of the world's harshest laws against abortion.

kirblar

More male babies are born than female ones. But men get themselves killed earlier than women, leading to more women surviving overall.

This actually is a trend that has changed recently in the US, where men are now outnumbering women in lower age groups due to lower death rates. It likely will have impacts on politics going forward.

Teggy

I wish there were a way to completely block any mention of dinesh d'souza on twitter, even screenshots, because man is that guy an idiot and no one should be forced to witness his special brand of stupid.

Pixieking

Banned
I seriously doubt that there is significant sex-selective abortion going on in a region with the highest income inequality globally, centuries of extreme muslim practice, and some of the world's harshest laws against abortion.

Mmmm... I wasn't sure of the region's abortion laws as I typed that, so I stand corrected.

More male babies are born than female ones. But men get themselves killed earlier than women, leading to more women surviving overall.

This actually is a trend that has changed recently in the US, where men are now outnumbering women in lower age groups due to lower death rates. It likely will have impacts on politics going forward.

I think the increasing racial diversity and the fact that a lot more women are getting more college educated is going to have a quicker impact on politics before that.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
What do the Russians get in return? He... flips parties? The buying company almost went bankrupt because of bad purchases like this. It just seems way more likely to me that they made a bad investment. You'll recall that it was during this decade that fracking destroyed the coal industry. Again, $580 million or whatever it is is an ungodly amount of money.
That just sounds like networking to me.

I know, this thread gets perilously close to McCarthyism at points. As a rule of thumb, when the two choices are someone saw a way to play the system to get bad money, and a giant and complex conspiracy theory involving Russians influencing people before they even clearly became political actors because ???, it's probably the first.

There's enough worrying stuff Russia is doing (Zapad 17) to not need to invent stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom