• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefly premiered 15 years ago today

Out of Gas is my favorite episode.

Also, I couldn't help with the ratings because I'm Dutch and I don't think it ever aired over here. Bought the DVDs and the movie though.

WarRock

Watched this last year. Good show, good movie. Still need to get into the comics though, specially the ones between the show and the movie!

I still don't understand how I missed this when it originally aired, considering I was a big fan of Buffy and Angel at the time.

It wasn't until it was cancelled and fan campaigns were ramping up that I became aware. (and made others around me aware as well)

It's a good show that was getting better, but at least we got a solid flick in Serenity out of it.

Lanf

15 years... Didn't watch it when it premiered because it never aired here that I know of, got into it a few years later because of internet hype, was not dissapointed. Brilliant show, great cast, music, lore... Novel setting (to me atleast), the western-sci fi fusion.

Don't know what my fav ep is, I like them all. Don't know if I want it to come back either, it can't possible live up to what it was.

Anyway, time for a rewatch I guess, haven't seen it in a few years now.

I will never understand the circle jerk around this show.

Everyone seems to love it, but not enough people loved it at the time and it got cancelled.

I enjoyed it and really happy they made serenity, but I just don't get it.

Lupercal

Banned
I will never understand the circle jerk around this show.

Everyone seems to love it, but not enough people loved it at the time and it got cancelled.

I enjoyed it and really happy they made serenity, but I just don't get it.

Airing the episodes out of order and changing timeslots twice didn't help either.
If they had given it another season to build more of a fanbase at the time, I could've seen it becoming real popular.

Firefly gave birth one of my biggest celebrity crushes. 15 years later, she is still on my list.

giphy.gif

Whew..... I'll be in my bunk.

She's still #1 in my book.

It always bothered me that a tv show (Firefly) and an anime (Cowboy Bebop) that people consider the best both
'borrowed' a ton from Outlaw Star yet Outlaw Star remains underrated.

Anyone who is a Firefly fan should check out Outlaw Star asap.

Same here. First thing I thought was Outlaw Star when Mal opened the crate to reveal the special girl inside.

Loved Firefly but I'd rather see a second season to Outlaw Star even the plans to it sounded horrible.

emag

The Wash-Zoe relationship was great. Loved both characters and how they worked together. I never liked Jayne, but Adam Baldwin has made the series extremely difficult to watch again.

Ariel, Our Mrs. Reynolds, War Stories (Zoe's Choice), and Objects in Space are all great episodes. I don't know which I'd claim as my singular favorite.

I loved Outlaw Star!

Shit. I only now remembered that Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop were separate shows. They've run together as a hazy memory.

Geist-

15 years, fuck. Even if we could get another Firefly season Ron Glass is dead, some of the other actors have probably moved on, and I doubt we'll ever have another cast with the same amazing chemistry.

I think the dream is dead.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Did Adam Baldwin do something?

Milkshake duck.

He became an alt-right nut who literally coined the term "GamerGate."

It's actually quite strange. I wonder if he was always like this or if something made him snap his head? I can't imagine Joss working with someone like that without losing his damn mind.

And pretty much everyone involved in the show stopped following him on Twitter.

ZeoVGM

Banned
15 years, fuck. Even if we could get another Firefly season Ron Glass is dead, some of the other actors have probably moved on, and I doubt we'll ever have another cast with the same amazing chemistry.

I think the dream is dead.

I actually 100% believe that if Joss said, "Let's do another movie," every single one of them would jump at it.

A new season would be harder due to schedules but even then, I think they would try.

LakeEarth

Did anyone else read all the Dark Horse graphic novels? They're... alright. I have all of them but the most recent; I'm waiting for it to drop in price a few bucks.

91ubQMo8DaL.__BG0,0,0,0_FMpng_AC_UL320_SR208,320_.jpg

I had the one that was a prequel (I think) to the Serenity movie. It was alright, but I was annoyed how
the blue hand men just crashed their spaceship and died. I'm sure they eventually just introduced more of them, but at the time it felt like it was slapped on there to "conclude" those villains since they weren't going to make it in the movie.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I had the one that was a prequel (I think) to the Serenity movie. It was alright, but I was annoyed how
the blue hand men just crashed their spaceship and died. I'm sure they eventually just introduced more of them, but at the time it felt like it was slapped on there to "conclude" those villains since they weren't going to make it in the movie.

I was disappointed in that as well.

Personally, I'd like that comic to be completely ignored if Joss ever decided to do another movie as I would like to see what he really ended up having planned.

... Man, I just want to see what the characters are up to now.

If they come back they should just replace Jayne with another actor and have everyone pretend the new guy has been in the cast since the beginning, even in interviews.

If they come back they should just replace Jayne with another actor and have everyone pretend the new guy has been in the cast since the beginning, even in interviews.

You could have them talk about that time he had to change his appearance to avoid a warrant. A new prospective crew member says Jayne doesn't look like his Wanted posters. New Jayne scowls darkly and says "We do not discuss it with outsiders."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trials_and_Tribble-ations

Every RPG I play, I try to make my character Nathan Fillion/ Mal Reynolds. This is, and likely will be one of my favourite shows, and definitely my favourite Sci-Fi show, possibly forever. ;_;

Nathan Fillion also happens to be the only real redeeming character of Destiny 2 (Cayde) amongst the horridly cliched writing. He is just that good at delivering his lines and playing that rogue character. He would have made the perfect Nathan Drake and I watched Castle because of him. He's definitely my man crush.

I'm one of the few who actually watched it when it originally aired, since that was when I was still a huge Whedon fan. It was okay but doesn't deserve even .0001% of the reverence it still gets.

It would be the worst Whedon show if it wasn't for the abomination that was Dollhouse.
DH was dope though

I never watched it. I know it doesn't seem to be as popular as Buffy/Angel and Firefly. I suppose I should give it a whirl.
It's higher concept, and Eliza Dushku isn't as strong of an actress for the role she's given, but I think it's a really good show. It's much more existential in its themes. The biggest issue that people seem to have is that the show starts slow. The first six episodes feel like they take awhile (probably due to their procedural nature), but it hooked me because of its themes and premise. The characters grabbed me as time went on.

I can understand why people would ditch it, but I think it's still a really strong series.

Yeah, I loved Firefly. Gutted it got cancelled because the broadcaster did such a poor job with it.

I really liked the fact that it didn't treat Inara as a second class citizen, despite being a sex worker, quite the opposite in fact. Though recent revelations may make me revisit the character!

Can't believe that the film's over 12 years old now as well!

recent revelations?

Re Dollhouse.

The characters grabbed me as time went on.

I can understand why people would ditch it, but I think it's still a really strong series.

I read Wikipedia's synopsis, and was also pleased to see some familiar names in the cast. I'm not so sure about the premise, but the show does sound pretty solid.

Media

Re Dollhouse.

I read Wikipedia's synopsis, and was also pleased to see some familiar names in the cast. I'm not so sure about the premise, but the show does sound pretty solid.

It really really works. Most people dropped it a few episodes in because it was gross, but the thing is, it's supposed to gross you out. The whole thing is uncomfortable as hell and makes you think of super uncomfortable things, but has amazing characters and never flinched from the fact that it's basically a show about about legal rape.

It really really works. Most people dropped it a few episodes in because it was gross, but the thing is, it's supposed to gross you out. The whole thing is uncomfortable as hell and makes you think of super uncomfortable things, but has amazing characters and never flinched from the fact that it's basically a show about about legal rape.

That's not what it's about but that is in there due to the nature of the premise. IIRC the show was always supposed to be focused more on questions of identity in sort of a high concept way. But it's hard to really get people to *get* that when you've got the episodes that do have sex involved which immediately make viewers parallel to real life implications.

Ezalc

Watched this show I think last year. As somebody who loves Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star, I thought it was only alright.

Loved Wash, his wife, the Preacher, and the engineer girl Kaylee I think. Absolutely hated that little girl who was supposed to be special or whatever, then I watched the movie and it made me hate her even more.

Didn't like the ship's design either, rest of the cast is alright though. Fillion is good.

Anjin M

I went to a convention to celebrate the release of the Firefly DVD set and got it signed by a bunch of the cast. I remember telling Tim Minear that Out Of Gas was my favorite episode and him turning to Joss to rub it in.

I really loved that series. Where else would you get an amazing line like "My days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle"?

I'll never love Serenity because of what happened to Wash, though I very much like it. I should watch it all again now that I've had some distance from it.

Xe4

Banned
It always bothered me that a tv show (Firefly) and an anime (Cowboy Bebop) that people consider the best both
'borrowed' a ton from Outlaw Star yet Outlaw Star remains underrated.

Anyone who is a Firefly fan should check out Outlaw Star asap.
Uhh. Firefly definetly borrowed from Outlaw Star (including a shot for shot take of a certain scene). But Bebop came out the same year and in no way borrowed from Star.

Unless you mean the manga, which is debatable I think. There's a bunch of differences between Bebop and Star, and Bebop probably entered production when the first issues of Outlaw Star released.

Bebop aped a lot of shit, but it was mostly spaghetti westerns, Hong Kong action movies, noir (especilly stuff like Blade Runner), Lupin, etc.

Banzai

I always have to think about that one alternate universe where American Idol was cancelled instead of Firefly. How different the world could be.

Herne

I came to Firefly late, but even if I hadn't I wouldn't have been able to watch it since I'm in Ireland. I remember watching Serenity in the cinema and liking it, then finding out it was a tv show prior to that and getting the box set... and oh wow, did I fall in love with the characters and setting. It was great.

DBT85

I really loved that series. Where else would you get an amazing line like "My days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle"?

So many little bits from the show that I enjoy just like that, also helped by the way they talked.

Media

That's not what it's about but that is in there due to the nature of the premise. IIRC the show was always supposed to be focused more on questions of identity in sort of a high concept way. But it's hard to really get people to *get* that when you've got the episodes that do have sex involved which immediately make viewers parallel to real life implications.

Well yeah, you said it better than me. Identity, slavery, sex trafficking, ect. People couldn't get past how rapey it was and didn't catch the 'this place is actually evil' subtext somehow

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well yeah, you said it better than me. Identity, slavery, sex trafficking, ect. People couldn't get past how rapey it was and didn't catch the 'this place is actually evil' subtext somehow
Yeah, that baffled me too. It's like they thought that because the people working there weren't one-dimensional cartoon villains, but regular, corruptible people, that the show endorsed sexual exploitation somehow? I dunno. I thought Dollhouse was great too.

Top Bottom