• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite |OT| Earliest Access VS Husks

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
How much have you already spent on Fortnite?

Got the game for free by trading my extra digital bundle code of PSVR games to a GAFfer here

Then $20 for Founders Upgrade

Spent 1000 VBucks so far (all free from the game)
Still have 2600+ saved up

Never bought VBucks, just played the game

So $20 total.

GraveRobberX

My new Base in Plankerton coming along nicely:

Middle:
M7USKhI.jpg

Right Side:
5frMt9V.jpg

Left Side:
tC9Lhg4.jpg

If anyone needs an Uber pistol made up to level 20, Power 49
Just get me the mats and I'll make it free:
Y6WOFmJ.jpg

Stats on it, so far. Haven't evolved to 3 Star (can't, yet, but also material asked is rare at the moment)
5pcZqXk.jpg

Have 3 Legendary Weapons also if you want but only Level 5, Power 26

Copper Zapotron:
n5swHq4.jpg

i6OYNP9.jpg

Copper Razorblade:
zvAxAR3.jpg

BLWPUpD.jpg

Copper Longarm Enforcer:
oXSVcjS.jpg

p5l4YoV.jpg

My Stockpile jumped from last time lol:
a4Oyr9P.jpg

JhA4HWq.jpg

For new page.

The content drop is pretty good timing for me. Let's try to get a group for PC for the 29th. I'm around 33-35 power level right now, although we don't have much of an idea on how the power levels will play a role.

Tei

Neo Member
Is me or the ability to craft more heroes is awesome?

My main source of hero, survivor and schematic XP is SSD's. So I figure, maybe I can turn groups of green and blue shit into heroes. They are only blue, but sometimes I get some interesting hero out of the deal.

Yesterday I crafted some outlander hero with a bonus for pistols. That could be interesting. I finnaly got a SCAR and the thing eats ammo like theres no tomorrow. At this point, I believe automatic rifles are not viable long term, and will never be.

Redshirt

Banned
Not too crazy about ARs either.

I use my constructor more than anything and usually run with a Lawbringer (hand cannon) as my main weapon and a Shredder (hybrid shotgun/sniper) as secondary.

GraveRobberX

After getting on the highs now the lows start creeping in

Holy Shit @Repair the Shelter mission

It's not the objective, not the 8 quadrillion Husks that spawn, random teammates putting traps within storm distance that disintegrate within 1-2 spawn cycles, it's that stupid fucking See-Bot

Holy hell, I got back to back play with others for same mission, that annoying voice line followed by Ray constant line, gave me such a headache

Who the hell thought players want to be drowned by the the same dialogue over and over and over, inundated into your cerebral cortex

I thought when y'all joke about airbrushing velvet and Gods of Olympus would get stake, but this,this is pure torture
Nothing quality redeeming of looping that same bullshit lines over and over

I hope this gets addressed

Game last night soured me to a tee, had to mute my tv and lost half of the cues to Husk's Mist Monster calls as they spawn like Smashers and the like
Lost both games too to really piss away all that time, love people building cheap things, never tiering it up or trying to crate tunnels or channels to get enemies to siphon

Oh of course a Tier 3 Steel got destroyed, why don't I put a Tier 1 wood, it will Hold Up!
Why don't I bait this Smasher to our weakpoint, not you know make it chase you away from the Base

Now I see why people hate grouping up with randoms, once difficulty ramps up all the stupid shit that can be covered in low levels gets punished very bad

How do you go about choosing good guns? Just check stats? Level and try out?

If just checking stats, what do you look for?

Everyone looks for -% Decay
I mean the longer stuff stays up the better in the long run

Then it depends on Critical Damage/Damage

Traps roll with stats that are stupid broken
Like a Wall Pusher with Critical Chance... Like seriously?

Repair the shelter can be a pain sometimes. People wait way too long to start the objective. At least every time I've done one, there is no need to defend 3 waves. Always 1 wave and the final defense because finding the parts is easy.

Well rarity, I don't bother with anything below epics at this point. Then I look at the weapon type. Usually I am concerned with if I enjoy using the gun. Then the bonus stats.

Shredder is a very versatile weapon. Probably too popular to the point I hope they don't nerf it, because it's also a very fun weapon to me.

As for bonus stats, I look for just damage output over time most of the time.

So example, and I only roughly do the math tbh, if I have 2 schematics of the same rarity of the same gun...

1 has
10% damage

1 has
10% crit bonus damage

It's not obvious which one is better. You have to look at the ROF, the crit chance, and the base crit bonus damage.

Often the crit bonus damage is 50%, so it's only really giving 5% damage over time.

Then I consider low ROF, low crit chance means I will not see enough crits and sometimes when I do crit it'll be overkill damage which is wasted. Whereas high ROF, high crit chance, means lower damage per bullet so I will not likely be wasting a lot of overkill damage.

People have done some math, probably google it or look it up on reddit, comparing when crit damage exceeds flat damage based on your offense stats, but that is too much work for me to bother with atm.

forms

Logged in, got a "shotgun defender"...thought "man this way of leveling really doesn't interest me one bit" and just quit.

Not really my cup of tea.

darkwing

After getting on the highs now the lows start creeping in

Holy Shit @Repair the Shelter mission

It's not the objective, not the 8 quadrillion Husks that spawn, random teammates putting traps within storm distance that disintegrate within 1-2 spawn cycles, it's that stupid fucking See-Bot

Holy hell, I got back to back play with others for same mission, that annoying voice line followed by Ray constant line, gave me such a headache

Who the hell thought players want to be drowned by the the same dialogue over and over and over, inundated into your cerebral cortex

I thought when y'all joke about airbrushing velvet and Gods of Olympus would get stake, but this,this is pure torture
Nothing quality redeeming of looping that same bullshit lines over and over

I hope this gets addressed

Game last night soured me to a tee, had to mute my tv and lost half of the cues to Husk's Mist Monster calls as they spawn like Smashers and the like
Lost both games too to really piss away all that time, love people building cheap things, never tiering it up or trying to crate tunnels or channels to get enemies to siphon

Oh of course a Tier 3 Steel got destroyed, why don't I put a Tier 1 wood, it will Hold Up!
Why don't I bait this Smasher to our weakpoint, not you know make it chase you away from the Base

Now I see why people hate grouping up with randoms, once difficulty ramps up all the stupid shit that can be covered in low levels gets punished very bad

Everyone looks for -% Decay
I mean the longer stuff stays up the better in the long run

Then it depends on Critical Damage/Damage

Traps roll with stats that are stupid broken
Like a Wall Pusher with Critical Chance... Like seriously?

but there is much more to seeeee

I didn't know that people actually look for -% decay. I prefer shine brighter over shine longer.

BTW, I do believe crit damage on traps includes impact, but maybe I am wrong. I remember someone saying crit % is messed up in the tooltips for traps? I dunno. Main thing though for wall pusher is of course not damage, but if crits/damage bonus influences impact that means it'll be more likely to knock back even the largest enemies.

Tei

Neo Member

The perks in the weapon. My weapons have one +durability and 2 or 3 +damage perks.

Then I search for a particular type of weapon and avoid others. Snipers don't seems very useful in this game (I know they will, in some circunstances). Automatic shotguns can be weak (better to deal all that damage in a single blast).

Slow weapons that you can aim to the head and maximize damage seems better than others. Handcanons, shotguns, ...

AdamT

Are Eye of the Storm mats found in the 3rd zone? I need some to level my Legendary Ninja to 4th star, and am only on Plankerton still.

Anastasis

Thank you all!

There hasn't been one weapon I have that I feel packs a great punch, yet I see some people obliterating some of the bigger monsters in just a few shots.

Does each monster have a certain weakness? I see some broken shields over the head of some monsters, but I'm not sure what triggers that.

Down the line, I'm assuming we will need a good balance of elemental weapons and switch on the fly to counter enemies. I'm only beginning to see the first of those it seems. Was it fire enemies in Stonewood SSD7?

Thank you all!

There hasn't been one weapon I have that I feel packs a great punch, yet I see some people obliterating some of the bigger monsters in just a few shots.

Does each monster have a certain weakness? I see some broken shields over the head of some monsters, but I'm not sure what triggers that.

Down the line, I'm assuming we will need a good balance of elemental weapons and switch on the fly to counter enemies. I'm only beginning to see the first of those it seems. Was it fire enemies in Stonewood SSD7?

The broken shield thing is a soldier debuff that increases damage it takes. It's something like 5% increased damage taken, applied every shot up to 15%. So soldiers basically do 5% of their targets damage per shot for their first 3 shots.

Tim Sweeney responded on reddit last week: https://www.reddit.com/r/FORTnITE/comments/6sm57g/comment/dlevxdl

I'm here reading the threads and also the emails, and since launch day have been thoroughly impressed by the polite discussions and the analytic and deliberative nature of the Fortnite community. This is an amazing group!

In general, there are dozens of ways we want to improve and tweak the game, some of it realized as we went through closed beta and some of it recognized in response to feedback in early access. We're working on lots of these things as we speak. In general, the difficulty progression is slow at first and then much faster, more so that we expected, which is often interpreted as a paywall, but isn't intended to be, and can only effectively be crossed through gains in skill and technique (which I presume must lead to enormous frustration from folks who try to pay through it and find that ineffective.)

The countless planned improvements and future evolutionary decisions aside, the game is largely what we intended it to be: an early access version of what will eventually be a free-to-play game.

Some folks love it, and some folks hate it, and we totally understand the feedback, as it's a change from the business models of Epic's episodic shareware games and then PC and Xbox retail games of the past. However we encourage keeping an open mind, especially on play strategies that reduce the grind.

This is thoroughly an Epic game though, built out of passion for the underlying design and art style, and a desire to build the foundations for a game that we can improve and evolve for years to come, and eventually enable anyone to play without paying up-front, while paying the bills and supporting the team.

Tei

Neo Member
I expect very little of the devs. But I hope to be proven wrong.

They act like a small team working on software developed by juniors. Like a lone soldier guard in a wall 20 miles long. 5 years of spaghetti code is not something you fight and win, but something you live with making you bad by contact.

The game is awesome in the current state, even small improvements will be kind of awesome. But then I don't know if that what they are aiming for or will have time to do.

With the exception of heroes, my schematics/survivors gotten from the game are more than adequate.

Almost all of my survivors are epics with only a few rares and like 1 uncommon lead. Something like 6-7 legendary survivors.

Without counting I am estimating somewhere around 30 epic weapon schematics, not including ones I used to transform or no longer own. I have some 5-6 legendary weapons.

I have 3 legendary trap schematics and 1 epic trap schematic, along with many rare trap schematics. I haven't opened more than 1 trap llama. I don't think you need that many trap schematics anyway. I don't have an epic floor schematic but that is okay.

Loot from llamas is basically not a problem. They do need a heroes llama though. That is where I need the most, but having an epic is good enough atm.

So my point is, I don't really lack anything you get from llamas. And I only bought the standard edition (20 dollars for me since I was alpha player). Paying money into this game is so not an issue.

The game's issues, at least in my opinion, are mostly the pure rain drops. You need pure rain drops for every evolution in the game. 2* evos, 3* evos. I need 40 rain drops for legendary weapon upgrade to 3*. That isn't so bad. But then you need 30* for an epic weapon. And if you want to evolve a legendary survivor that is another 20. If you want to evolve a hero that's like another 30. It all adds up so much. And you mainly get rain drops from mission rewards. You just need too much pure rain drops.

At least this doesn't become a real issue until around canny valley where you want 3* stuff. You don't need everything at 3* of course. But progression is fun, but requiring pure rain drops for everything takes away from that.

Geneijin

With the exception of heroes, my schematics/survivors gotten from the game are more than adequate.

Almost all of my survivors are epics with only a few rares and like 1 uncommon lead. Something like 6-7 legendary survivors.

Without counting I am estimating somewhere around 30 epic weapon schematics, not including ones I used to transform or no longer own. I have some 5-6 legendary weapons.

I have 3 legendary trap schematics and 1 epic trap schematic, along with many rare trap schematics. I haven't opened more than 1 trap llama. I don't think you need that many trap schematics anyway. I don't have an epic floor schematic but that is okay.

Loot from llamas is basically not a problem. They do need a heroes llama though. That is where I need the most, but having an epic is good enough atm.

So my point is, I don't really lack anything you get from llamas. And I only bought the standard edition (20 dollars for me since I was alpha player). Paying money into this game is so not an issue.

The game's issues, at least in my opinion, are mostly the pure rain drops. You need pure rain drops for every evolution in the game. 2* evos, 3* evos. I need 40 rain drops for legendary weapon upgrade to 3*. That isn't so bad. But then you need 30* for an epic weapon. And if you want to evolve a legendary survivor that is another 20. If you want to evolve a hero that's like another 30. It all adds up so much. And you mainly get rain drops from mission rewards. You just need too much pure rain drops.

At least this doesn't become a real issue until around canny valley where you want 3* stuff. You don't need everything at 3* of course. But progression is fun, but requiring pure rain drops for everything takes away from that.
What you get sets your ceiling. What you have limits what you can do. The materials you largely need for evolutions aren't only raindrops. You need manuals. Manuals you get from recycling Rare+ quality items. Better quality items reward you more manuals. Items you can only get from llamas. It's very much an issue once rewards from the main quest line dry up. One upgrade llama for two days of work is a pittance right now when they can also drop exp cards for schematics, traps, and weapons plus raindrops on rare occasions for some reason to dilute the item pool. Then you're looking at those special llamas at minimum (which are 350+ or higher) to reduce RNG which is a week worth of grinding. It's really not alright.

Geneijin

Not very reassuring since it basically sounds like they're saying that it isn't grindy we're just playing wrong. I mean, the drops clearly indicate that isn't the case since your actual level depends on them.
Playstyles are also very RNG dependent. If you peruse the collection book and look at all the heroes, their abilities, and their support & tactical bonuses, you'd be surprise. Shuriken Master Sarah is pretty unique for example with the one of the best abilities in the game you can spam, Hotfixer Hazard with his support bonus that reduces building costs if you play Constructor class, etc

What you get sets your ceiling. What you have limits what you can do. The materials you largely need for evolutions aren't only raindrops. You need manuals. Manuals you get from recycling Rare+ quality items. Better quality items reward you more manuals. Items you can only get from llamas. It's very much an issue once rewards from the main quest line dry up. One upgrade llama for two days of work is a pittance right now when they can also drop exp cards for schematics, traps, and weapons plus raindrops on rare occasions for some reason to dilute the item pool. Then you're looking at those special llamas at minimum (which are 350+ or higher) to reduce RNG which is a week worth of grinding. It's really not alright.

There are a couple wrong things here. Well, for one you can easily get manuals. I suppose if you're foolish with your resources you can run out of manuals, but I think if you manage it even a little bit manuals are not hard to stock pile. If you try to evolve 10+ different weapons, sure, you can run out of manuals. Manuals themselves are not hard to get, but if you're using them recklessly, yes you can have a hard time getting manuals. I don't think you ever run out of opportunities to get manuals, but you have to work harder to get them. The method would be getting mini-llamas or timed mission rewards and transforming them into rares and then recycling them. You don't really lose out on XP, because transforming gives you the XP you would have gotten anyway. It does have a small cost to transforming, but those resources are easy to get (people, research points).

Second, v-bucks are not just 50 a day. You get v-buck rewards as a part of daily login bonuses fairly often. You get vbucks every time you complete your own stormshield defense, 100 each time. 150 for SSD10s, so at least 1050 per zone. Maybe more on later plankertons, I am not sure. You even get vbucks from collection book. You get 500 very early on in the collection book. I've gotten 1000 from the collection book. You also get vbucks from helping others with their SSDs. I think you can get at least 500 total from that, but maybe more. You can also get vbucks from timed mission rewards. I haven't gotten many from this method, I think they should give more opportunities in timed missions though. This is something I talked about before. So this talk about 350 being a week of "work". Nah, not even.

Saving up 350 is not hard at all. And it's worth it if you're lacking in a category. First thing I did when the game came out was save up for a weapon llama. Then a melee llama. A trap llama. I had some very good schematics very fast, because these llamas provide an epic. And because of the founder llama promotion, you get additional llamas with guaranteed epics every 1000 or so vbucks spent. These come with good early level stat bonuses, making them great for lower level players. If your smart about your spending of your vbucks, you won't run into this so called ceiling. At least, I haven't seen this ceiling, either in alpha or beta.

But I am sure you might say that despite all this vbucks you get, you'll eventually run out of opportunities to get items. This brings me to the third area you're wrong, which is that you can get items outside from llamas. You have unlimited opportunities to help others do storm shield defenses, which give you mini-llamas. Expeditions can easily get you survivors, even rare ones (another source of manuals). Maybe further power levels provide schematic opportunities, I can't say. Timed mission rewards can include transformation keys and items themselves.

In summ, it actually is alright. There are a few things that could be improved. I don't deny that. That was the point of my post, to really show what I think the main issue is. This is something the community has complained about in alpha too, and that is rain drops. Rain drops aren't even rare, you just need too many of them.

Tei

Neo Member
I love the game more than everyone in this forum, and I would not defend their monetization scheme. Is bad.

The reason is bad is because is progression tied to a random based system and premium coins.

If you want a Megabase Kyle Epic, theres no real way to get that class in particular.

In Destiny, theres people that played since released and never got a Gjallarhorn until the wellfare one. Luck is a bad system to fuel progression in a game, because some people is going to be unlucky, and never get the basic tools. Some people killed a hive in cosmodrome the first week and got a Gjallarhorn. I am sure somebody found a mythic hero in the first llama they opened in Fortnite.

Progression is tied to real money. Just now a guy called RichDubai44 guy from Dubai, that sinked 1000 dollars in the game, is playing in level 70 maps and having no idea whatsoever what he is doing, because equiped a lot of mythic survivors that raised his level to 50 without doing anything. His level is tied to the money that inserted in the game, and his contribution to a level 70 map is nill, because he is not ready for the difficulty of such content.

Then the game is too grindy. Everything (ammo, traps, upgrading walls) is too expensive, forcing players to grind materials too long.

And the game favoir greedy strategies. Playing the game is not the optimal strategy. The optimal strategy is to circle the map looting caves, then quit and do again in other game. Then maybe show in the defense if somebody build a base with his mats, and build traps, with his mats.

Many people don't even repair a critical wall that cost 7 metal. I can't even. But I don't blame the playerbase when the game lack incentives for cooperation in a coop game.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Yeah you're right Tei.

I love the fighting and building aspect but it would require me to grind each map for mats just to defend properly and ammo is getting expensive as enemy takes more to kill.

I've gotten to the point where I'm just not feeling the grind right now, as I've hit Power 40 I'd rather wait for the updates to roll out, hopefully balancing the mats and such and add content to the other two maps which just seem placeholder.

GraveRobberX

Same here. I am comfortable with the game. I just wish I could make acceptable bases more often. When after 30 minutes looting the map I can't build traps, I feel wronged.

Just building Tier 3 Steel 9x9, GG there goes your 999 Stockpile

Tier 3 roughly equates to 60 materials of it
Tier 10, Tier 2 +20, Tier 3 +30

So doing the math just 5 Tiles upgraded of a Wall + Floor + Ceiling your tapped out
Kind of stupid

You farmed say 10 minutes, but burned through it in less than a minute
No wonder everyone hoards and does bare minimum, why waste resources when literally 75℅ of the game forces you to gather like a mad man but burn it trying to set up defenses

The game needs to add a community pot per mission
Everything you strike 25℅-50% of the amount you generate get rewarded towards it
Can go all the way to 999 for materials and at least just use that as a base and cover your whole team

So of I'm building Steel Tier 3 as the foundation to keep our base super strong, at least all the metal people are whacking away keeps failing that pool

Last few missions it's become apparent it's takes like the last 5 minutes for everyone even including me who is at fault for this, to start building stuff
The Weather Balloon mission is notorious for this

The game really needs tk address building and resource management
Hitting inanimate objects half the mission and then build paltry serupscause resources run low quick, you can see why most hoard and have the got mines fuck you mentality

Most for first 15 minutes are searching Chest on rooftops and basements
Caves for Ore deposits
And farming up their resources back to a normal standard

You really don't need metal level 3 barriers though. At least not in every spot. Usually stone is enough tbh. Sorta depends on how good your team is, the power level etc., some storm factors. If everyone chips in. The pot thing sounds like a decent idea.

There actually is a support hero bonus, or tactical, which reduces the cost of building. If it's support you can evolve that up and save a lot on building over time.

What I tend to do, to save on resources and spend less gathering, is hit up encampment/survivor missions when I am low on resources. Especially on industrial maps since there are a lot of resources just lying around waiting to be picked up. Like a pile of stone bricks can be 20-40 stone, and same for metal and wood. I should also level up an outlander and probably will once I get a tier 3.

One thing I tend to try is to leave a map with more resources than I came with. I still contribute a good amount of resources, but there are usually 3 other people so it works out. Last time I did a 2 man mission though, I spent a lot of resources and have been slowly recovering using this method. Regardless of my resource contributions, I top combat almost every time so I don't feel bad about being a little stingy.

When it comes to SSD building, they definitely need a better way to stockpile resources for that.

edit:
Don't forget expeditions. I'm up to getting 4 or 5 regularly. Still haven't made use of the hanglider though.

GraveRobberX

^

I know how to resource gather

I'm saying as a whole, a team of 4 individuals playing a mission, everyone should bring something to the table and that "Co-Op and Team Focus" is lacking by a lot

When you get 3 others like minded and play a mission, you see how the game is played
That isn't the norm but the exception

I'm just stating certain missions you need to Tier 3 your walls and create barriers
You know how many times I've created Kill Boxes and the enemy siphoned by creating those blockade wall setup of Wall + Half Floor + Slanted 45 degree Roof to only for it to be destroyed by morons standing on them, making the Husks chase them and in turn breaking it, wasting all that effort of setting up and putting traps

That's when you just go fuck that, I'm looking out for me first, fuck the team
Then you just have 4 individuals just roaming the map doing their shit until they get bored and are like oh yeah we need to finish the mission too for the XP and end game rewards

You won't believe how many times a Tier 3 Steel Wall Setup has saved me from defeat
Sometime knowing what main story mission, I will go farm mats that will not be in abundance and cover everyone's ass

Not every game has a Constructor. Hell there's just Soldiers and Ninjas everywhere. Then you might see a Constructor every 10+ missions and Outlander maybe every 20-25 missions played.

The disparity right there shows, that killing Husks is the main objective and everything else is a byproduct of it
Rather than your Fort is what you must build as your Base and Husks are the byproduct of it, to be destroyed

Last night when I wrote out that post about community pool, it got me thinking
Why not when the mission starts for Atlas placing and you find it faster than Ray in 10 minutes, give players in the mission buffs

We know all the mission types and the objectives are piecemeal into stages

Get to Atlas within 10 minutes, whole team now farms resources at 10% rate at gathering and faster hitting with the axe
Then say for the build its Recommend ##/##, use that % as a buff again
If you build 25% get another 10%, another 25% built, another 10%.

So within say first 10 minutes you can have the base being found and the foundation being built, your already 30% bonus at gathering
Add another 20% parameters for team cohesiveness like all 4 Heroes placed materials for the base at least once
Things like that

GraveRobberX

Got a legendary bazooka today, man, those are getting really quick destroyed.

There 1:1, you want as much as -% Durability Decay possible
Every shot, your weapon loses a lot
It's almost last resort or destroy enemy wave or huge mist monster from wreaking havoc

Also, join a 40 leve mission, I'm 23, at least I have Power Level 49 and 57 weapons at my disposal
I create a nice strong Tier 3 brick inner frame and a roof for Ride the Lightning

Then I go to farm brick and some dickheads thought this will Hold
fQldjowl.jpg

Tier 1 brick outer perimeter with Tier 1 wood floors with traps
We lost van health to 500 health first round
Second round, Constructor talking shit he was carrying us, maybe those other 2 randoms especially the shitty ninja trying to melee level 40 Husks at his level
Like seriously, why on earth would you not fortify the outside
Why create that Tier 3 floor of Level 1 Bricks like that. Just cause they say build limit of 250 and under to get gold badge doesn't mean, 250 is how much you need to put up
This is why lower levels get a bad rap, the good ones get lumped with these idiots

My Tier 3 brick held on for so long, yet the level 1 Bricks of small outer frame got destroyed over and over and over, every 10 secs, rather than Tier 3 the area enemies were gravitating towards, so you know that is where you should build more traps the created channels making it easier for enemies to just stroll in

Redshirt

Banned
Not a fan of Sweeney's Reddit post. Seems passive aggressive and reads to me like the whales are enough; screw making this the greatest game it can be.

Fwiw, PoE and Warframe are killing it with rewarding grinds while still

paying the bills and supporting the team.

Regardless, I'm still real excited for the big patch and stoked that I just got a Lawbringer with Energy damage plus +14/+14 crit chance!

E92 M3

Not a fan of Sweeney's Reddit post. Seems passive aggressive and reads to me like the whales are enough; screw making this the greatest game it can be.

Regardless, I'm still real excited for the big patch and stoked that I just got a Lawbringer with Energy damage plus +14/+14 crit chance!

What did he say?

Having actually played the game as a f2p player during alpha, you definitely can play this game without paying a dime (once it goes f2p of course). Even in this current form, I only bought the standard edition. That gave me like 8 llamas. That is nothing. It's an small early boost.

I think you're misinterpreting that post, if it's the same post we're talking about. It's not the most clear post I've ever read.

Redshirt

Banned
I don't disagree that you can play this game F2P, but the bigger issue is whether the grind is rewarding and enjoyable long-term.

I appreciate that you really love it, but Fortnite is bleeding out (in terms of player base) on PC the way I see it. There's something wrong here beyond just pure drops of rain.

In response, Epic has started to withdraw from the community -- their initial presence on Reddit was fantastic -- and then we get Sweeney with his largely what we intended it to be post.

Just rubs me the wrong way. Maybe I am misconstruing it. I hope I am wrong.

I don't think rain drops are the only issue either. Perhaps the biggest in a sort of deceptive way though. I've posted some thoughts on what they should do in addition to rain drops changing, such as repeatable daily challenges, better and more timed mission rewards, etc..

We'll have to see the survival mode rewards and changes coming with this update. 7-8 days away iirc.

I think perception is also a huge issue. Like some people thinking legendary survivors is the best way to power up in that thread.

AdamT

Had several missions the last two nights where people level 20-28 in 28-34s were overbuilding and relying on firepower only and not traps. How could you not know basics by now? I don't even want to guess what their Storm Shields look like.

When I make a base and know I am underpowered, I plan around the environment. I'm a big fan of using walls and delay barriers to guide husks through death traps and use launchers to push husks off ledges, so they die without wasting an entire clip of ammo. Most of my traps aren't purple yet, either.

So what do my teammates do? Sit right in front of my defenses, in front of the storm, or near another wall so they don't follow the path and spray ammo like it's water and most likely get killed in the process. If no one attacked, nearly 2/3rds of the husks would've been dead by traps. Just need to take out the straglers and special husks.

After watching my favorite sword and rifle degrade after a few missions, and the amount of grinding needed to make new weapons, I thought that seems like the best choice? I can barely keep up with legendary equipment material requirements right now if I keep using them, so I'm sticking with purple most of the time.

I have 3 more pages of Plankerton left. Hopefully the next area people are a bit smarter.

Tei

Neo Member
maybe many people have never played a turret defense game.

to me is obvious that if you have a wall trap that do damage, you want to slowdown mobs in that area.

wall pushers and holes are obvious, you think, but then you find people that put a mid wall in front of the pusher, stopping the mobs from falling to their dead

some people seems that just don't believe in traps or walls, they want to kill mobs themselves

some people seems to think a thick wall is a good defense, so they put a wall after wall after wall after wall, withouth a way to move around the base.

I think people will slowly understand, or perhaps copy the best defenses.

Anastasis

Just building Tier 3 Steel 9x9, GG there goes your 999 Stockpile

Tier 3 roughly equates to 60 materials of it
Tier 10, Tier 2 +20, Tier 3 +30

So doing the math just 5 Tiles upgraded of a Wall + Floor + Ceiling your tapped out
Kind of stupid

You farmed say 10 minutes, but burned through it in less than a minute
No wonder everyone hoards and does bare minimum, why waste resources when literally 75℅ of the game forces you to gather like a mad man but burn it trying to set up defenses

The game needs to add a community pot per mission
Everything you strike 25℅-50% of the amount you generate get rewarded towards it
Can go all the way to 999 for materials and at least just use that as a base and cover your whole team

So of I'm building Steel Tier 3 as the foundation to keep our base super strong, at least all the metal people are whacking away keeps failing that pool

Last few missions it's become apparent it's takes like the last 5 minutes for everyone even including me who is at fault for this, to start building stuff
The Weather Balloon mission is notorious for this

The game really needs tk address building and resource management
Hitting inanimate objects half the mission and then build paltry serupscause resources run low quick, you can see why most hoard and have the got mines fuck you mentality

Most for first 15 minutes are searching Chest on rooftops and basements
Caves for Ore deposits
And farming up their resources back to a normal standard

This is such a good idea. A community pool that if you don't use it, you lose it.

OR what about getting back a percentage of whatever survives the storm?

I was playing a defend the Atlas mission the other day, and did my last siphon. 2 other players helped me and then we moved to the Atlas. The fourth person had made a great base with traps all around. I then made a death tunnel with walls to funnel facing the one direction of the storm. Someone asked if we were ready, and I said yes, but the first builder was livid, saying something to the effect of "What? Am I the only one who is going to build? Good luck defending it, I'm going to get back the resources I wasted." And they abandoned the fight. But the three of us handled it easily, the death tunnel doing it's work. The base barely scratched.

But it did create this weird dynamic. "I put this much into it, you should too." I didn't mind wasting resources on my siphon quest, because it was my quest. But when you are the only one putting in work (or when you think that's the case), it gets pretty frustrating.

Top Bottom