• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2018 - Pro Evolution Soccer |OT| Man Blue vs Man Red for the KONAMI Cup

Those lob triangle passes man, so deadly, cant do shit.

Yes, I hope a patch fixes AI playing styles, it's disappointing to see a lot of teams play very similar and in that style with added frustration of player switching being goofed . I'm a bit bored of the game at the moment, see what the patch brings I guess.

AwShucks

Few questions...how's the commentating? Is Master League like FIFA franchise? Do you get to manage the team plus play the games? If you can play I assume you can also sim them when desired? Is it as good as the FIFA franchise mode?

I like the PES demo more, plus the FIFA demo looked like washed out yellow muck. But want to be sure the mode I like will be good.

Spat_triate

Few questions...how's the commentating? Is Master League like FIFA franchise? Do you get to manage the team plus play the games? If you can play I assume you can also sim them when desired? Is it as good as the FIFA franchise mode?

I like the PES demo more, plus the FIFA demo looked like washed out yellow muck. But want to be sure the mode I like will be good.

Absolutely horrible. Everyone I know turns it off.

It's like Career Mode in Fifa. You manage team and play the games.

Yes you can sim games.

Frankly, no. It's ok but Fifa's career mode is better.

Jimrpg

The master league mode is pretty much what I play PES for.

Its still pretty much the same concept as it was when it was first available - take a team of generic players, buy and sell players to build up a team and get promoted and win the league and champions league. There's really two parts to it, playing the games, and searching for players to sign that fit in the team's budget. There's not much more than that. I don't know how deep Fifa's career mode goes so I can't do much of a comparison.

ChanMan

Yes, I hope a patch fixes AI playing styles, it's disappointing to see a lot of teams play very similar and in that style with added frustration of player switching being goofed . I'm a bit bored of the game at the moment, see what the patch brings I guess.

Yeah it is bad I but I blame how bad the Defence is coded. if you noticed the CB's will almost always allow the CPU to Forward to much space to recieve the ball on the counter attack.Then to make it worse they will start retreating away once he has it.

Coffinhal

Absolutely horrible. Everyone I know turns it off.

It's like Career Mode in Fifa. You manage team and play the games.

Yes you can sim games.

Frankly, no. It's ok but Fifa's career mode is better.

What does PES do worse than FIFA?

I started a "Master League" career with Barcelona yesterday. I loved the personnalization of yourself and the cutscenes - wasn't expecting it. For my first game (against Real, Supercopa) there were a lot of popups that made it special.

I guess if you come from FIFA's career mode like me, you'll be pleased because
1) The gameplay itself is different (maybe you'll like it more) and seems to have more depth (including tactics for your squad)
2) The mode is different and when you've done 2 1/2 years of career mode like me (or even more) you get bored when you're used to it

Besides that, the mode just needs to have transfers working, players growing up, good staff management...

Spat_triate

What does PES do worse than FIFA?

I started a "Master League" career with Barcelona yesterday. I loved the personnalization of yourself and the cutscenes - wasn't expecting it. For my first game (against Real, Supercopa) there were a lot of popups that made it special.

I guess if you come from FIFA's career mode like me, you'll be pleased because
1) The gameplay itself is different (maybe you'll like it more) and seems to have more depth (including tactics for your squad)
2) The mode is different and when you've done 2 1/2 years of career mode like me (or even more) you get bored when you're used to it

Besides that, the mode just needs to have transfers working, players growing up, good staff management...

As opposed to Fifa and career mode, Konami has dropped too many features from the ML over the years instead of building on what they had. Simple things like Pre-season friendlies were removed. Why? Features that added replayability and depth like team popularity rating, player loyalty rating, balancing staff budget, upgrading facilities, real time development curves, pre-match tactical briefing, etc, etc, have all been removed and not replaced with anything better.

Add to that the broken transfer system (top players going to mid table teams), ludicrously low transfer fees, fatigue pretty much being a non factor, and the mode just doesn't have the depth or appeal (to me) that it used to.

dsk1210

As opposed to Fifa and career mode, Konami has dropped too many features from the ML over the years instead of building on what they had. Simple things like Pre-season friendlies were removed. Why? Features that added replayability and depth like team popularity rating, player loyalty rating, balancing staff budget, upgrading facilities, real time development curves, pre-match tactical briefing, etc, etc, have all been removed and not replaced with anything better.

Add to that the broken transfer system (top players going to mid table teams), ludicrously low transfer fees, fatigue pretty much being a non factor, and the mode just doesn't have the depth or appeal (to me) that it used to.

Disagree completely, it plays so much better than Fifa that any lacking options in the Master League is made up for being actually feeling like a football game.

I used to enjoy the manager mode in fifa, but the games are so sterile feeling.

Just my opinion, but Pro Evo is a much better offline game than Fifa.

Is it worth switching to this from Pro clubs in Fifa? Is the 3v3 mode similar as in creating a club and creating yourself then compete in 10 divisions?

I fixed my game a few days ago. Think it was to do with my mouse. Game would crash with it connected. Think I have it fixed now.

Anyway. Just starting my third season of Master League. Got promoted with Havre AC to Ligue 1 and was given 40 mil to spend. Decided to dodge that and make the move to Sheffield Wednesday who got promoted to the Premier League. Made some shrewd free signings and I'm starting to make the team more my own. Went 5 unbeaten at the start of the season including huge wins over City and Liverpool. Followed that up with a 8 game losing streak. Managed to steer them to mid table safety thanks to a couple of winning runs. City wanted to hire me halfway through the 8 match losing run which I thought was hilarious.

Just picked it up on PC after playing the demo, playing football games on an ultrawide monitor is the absolute best. You can see so much of the pitch makes picking out passes a lot easier.

Can definitely echo the complaints from others. Poor commentary and poor player switching. Better than FIFA though, it's gotten way too stale for me.

Spat_triate

Disagree completely, it plays so much better than Fifa that any lacking options in the Master League is made up for being actually feeling like a football game.

I used to enjoy the manager mode in fifa, but the games are so sterile feeling.

Just my opinion, but Pro Evo is a much better offline game than Fifa.

Oh you and I are in agreement with the gameplay on the pitch. Those lacking options are what I was decrying when I answered the original question.

philm87

Yeah it is bad I but I blame how bad the Defence is coded. if you noticed the CB's will almost always allow the CPU to Forward to much space to recieve the ball on the counter attack.Then to make it worse they will start retreating away once he has it.

Pack your midfield and use man marking. Man mark the main/quickest attacker with a defensive midfielder which leaves two centre backs as back up. Don't try to go for the ball as it's going overhead unless you can definitely get it. The attacker's first touch should slow them down. Using super cancel also helps a lot with balls over the top, also manually running back and anticipating the through ball.

RAIDEN1

Turning the updates "ON" resulted in the real Bayern players showing up instead of the stand-ins, which was surprising because for the life of me I couldn't understand why that team's players weren't coming through yet Manchester City et all were...

jengo

See, to me that sucks. I never compared Master League to whatever FIFA's equivalent was because ML was just so damn good. To see them not take it anywhere better is such a letdown. Again, this is completely separate from comparing to another series.

I appreciate the breakdown of the mode, since I haven't been able to play ML hardcore in a few years. I dabbled last year and figured the nagging feeling of "what happened to that aspect of ML?" that popped up so much was just cause I didn't spend the time to find a possible replacement/addition they put in. Instead, I guess they were just straight up removed as you noted. Bummer...

Knight77

I started playing this weekend and after few matches I realized something and I'm torn: with PES 2017 I was always playing with Top Player setting but now with 2018 is different... Top Player is kinda easy but I find Superstar very difficult even if more "realistic".

Controls are semi-assisted + level 1 / basic.

What should I do? :-(

Carlius

Banned
Gane is gold in gameplay. Destroys fifa. Content wise fifa is just better but i could not stand starting the journey 2 this time. Got put off by it immediately. Pes is gameplay king and i am glad i am back to it after so many years on fifa.

Honome

Im amazed no one talks about how difficult it is to defend and atrack now thanks to the player switch...

Exactly. I am waiting for a patch for the shit player switching, it really ruins the gameplay on superstar because one mistake costs a game and the way player switching is we end up making stupid mistakes every damn time because the fucking game refuses to change to the player closer to the opponent with the ball!!!!

Matty8787

Which is the best current OF which is available? And best/easiest way to install it.... PC of course :)

Also how to delete my current OF?

Yaari

Just started the myclub for the first time , and when I am going to play an online March, I can't find anybody to play. What the hell ??

Only if I wait 5 minutes I would find someone on PC. It was awful. I stopped trying tbh. Very unfortunate as it was so much fun.

Yaari

so my club is basically an online mode? This is my first PES in years

There are both online and offline matches/tournaments to play. But since you are so reliant on other people to clear the online ones to get the rewards, it made it very difficult for me to be motivated to play a mode where I can't play online whenever I want.

You can still do the VS COM matches I guess. That just wasn't enough for me to enjoy the mode unfortunately.

Matty8787

I have an issue with one of my defenders... if I bring him out of defence with the ball after he releases it he doesn't go back into position he just casually strolls around! It is quite frustrating because if they break he is just mulling...

It is not any of my instructions as I have tried other players there, it is just this guy! Lazy he is.

GHG

I have an issue with one of my defenders... if I bring him out of defence with the ball after he releases it he doesn't go back into position he just casually strolls around! It is quite frustrating because if they break he is just mulling...

It is not any of my instructions as I have tried other players there, it is just this guy! Lazy he is.

Is he an "extra frontman" under his playing styles?

Roufianos

This isn't a bad football game. It's a fucking broken one.

The player switching is dreadful. Not only in reading who you want to control but also who you want to pass it to.

Crossing was OP last year. What's their answer? To make your strikers constantly miss balls that they could easily get to.

Last year's difficulty was way too easy. What's their answer? To have teams crowd out their own boxes and then play dreamboat balls over your defence on the counter. To have your players constantly miss sitters. To have your players constantly shrugged off the ball by weaker players.

Slide tackling isn't viable. They've programmed the movement in such a way that you can't do it. Imagine that, a football game without slide tackling.

Your players are stiff with their first touch and there is noticeable delay whenever the ball comes loose. You never get to latch onto anything.

Same shitty commentary, barely anything new and a fuck tonne of glitches where they get player names wrong, miss out team names and talk over each other.

A broken transfer system where you can just keep lowering the price. I paid £15m for Suarez.

What a massive dissapointment. Last year's game was one of the best football games ever. This is a steamy pile of shit. I'm booting up the Fifa demo now to give it a go.

philm87

.........well I on the other hand love it.

Think people have a lot of issues just because they can't play it well.

Don't play a massive amoount vs the AI, which people seem to have an issue with, but I played a few in myclub including on Top Player vs Barcelona AI. I had 60% possession (apparently the AI never missed a pass, bullshit), I scored from a free kick (apparently the AI never fouls you, bullshit), they barely played a through ball and had about two shots (apparently the AI spams through balls and they're impossible to stop, bullshit).

Also got Mbappé and Sané first 2 times using the speedsters special agent in MyClub, which is lovely!

Upinsmoke

Don't play a massive amoount vs the AI, which people seem to have an issue with, but I played a few in myclub including on Top Player vs Barcelona AI. I had 60% possession (apparently the AI never missed a pass, bullshit), I scored from a free kick (apparently the AI never fouls you, bullshit), they barely played a through ball and had about two shots (apparently the AI spams through balls and they're impossible to stop, bullshit).

Also got Mbappé and Sané first 2 times using the speedsters special agent in MyClub, which is lovely!

Your playing on Top Player, not superstar then where all the complaints lie with the AI? I've been playing every PES since the first PS1 iteration ISS before that. There is far too much bullshit in that game for it to be fun consistently right now. The fact that you have no control over a single through ball over the top against you is just ridiculous. Its basically the AI get out of jail card when all else fails, one ball over the top which your defender doesn't track.

philm87

Your playing on Top Player, not superstar then where all the complaints lie with the AI? I've been playing every PES since the first PS1 iteration ISS before that. There is far too much bullshit in that game for it to be fun consistently right now. The fact that you have no control over a single through ball over the top against you is just ridiculous. Its basically the AI get out of jail card when all else fails, one ball over the top which your defender doesn't track.

There's barely a through ball you can't defend if you anticipate it and/or set your tactics up right to defend it. Learn to use super cancel then you don't need to rely on the defender tracking it, just hold R1 and R2 together and you can get back quicker, even if you don't get to the ball first you can tackle after the attacker's first touch. Set up man marking also, I use my full-backs to mark the wingers, DMF to mark the attacker, and have two centre backs to back up the others, works like a dream.

DagsJT

There's barely a through ball you can't defend if you anticipate it and/or set your tactics up right to defend it. Learn to use super cancel then you don't need to rely on the defender tracking it, just hold R1 and R2 together and you can get back quicker, even if you don't get to the ball first you can tackle after the attacker's first touch. Set up man marking also, I use my full-backs to mark the wingers, DMF to mark the attacker, and have two centre backs to back up the others, works like a dream.

You shouldn't have to use super cancel in this day and age. And you shouldn't need to set tactics for each team you play as, the AI should have some more sense about them to defend better in general.

philm87

You shouldn't have to use super cancel in this day and age. And you shouldn't need to set tactics for each team you play as, the AI should have some more sense about them to defend better in general.

What's the point in playing if the AI does everything for you?

If you keep getting beaten on Superstar difficulty, turn it down and accept you're not good enough.

Roufianos

I haven't played anything but the AI but yea the game was a whole lot more enjoyable when I was playing the demo vs my brother.

I wouldn't put my personal complaints down to me not being good at the game. I played last year's on superstar and used to win games comfortably.

I was hoping this year's game would be harder and it definitely is but they've done it in a way that's cheap as fuck. I'm not even getting any better at the game, 3 seasons of ML and I haven't really improved. That to me suggests that the game is broken, sure I could get better but no skill can overcome the massive flaws with the AI.

Upinsmoke

You can't use super cancel. I'll give you an example. I was playing against Ukraine, I went to close down a man just inside the halfway line, I got within a couple of feet and he launched one over the top. Before I could even switch to my centre back the opposition striker received the ball. Also because the ball was played from deep I couldn't even see the striker and the camera doesn't pan that wide and I was busy closing a man down anyway. The thing is with football games is you don't control 11 men (I'm sure your well aware) so there are moments when you have to rely on the AI to kinda do it's job and track the opposition briefly before you take control of that player. That just isn't happening.

philm87

You can't use super cancel. I'll give you an example. I was playing against Ukraine, I went to close down a man just inside the halfway line, I got within a couple of feet and he launched one over the top. Before I could even switch to my centre back the opposition striker received the ball. Also because the ball was played from deep I couldn't even see the striker and the camera doesn't pan that wide and I was busy closing a man down anyway. The thing is with football games is you don't control 11 men (I'm sure your well aware) so there are moments when you have to rely on the AI to kinda do it's job and track the opposition briefly before you take control of that player. That just isn't happening.

I know there's nothing more frustrating than feeling helpless when a through ball comes over. What i'm trying to say is there's ways to stop it. Can't have every through ball being defended easily else it would be unrealistic. It's a tough balance in any football game.

Do you set up tactics and man marking? What formation do you play?

I'm getting tired of the amount of people editing their formations Online to something like 3-2-6. They abuse the 1-2 to draw out players and effectively just ping pong it. The only way to counter-act it is to fill your midfield and makes the entire match tiresome.

Ruruja

I haven't had a single issue with lofted through balls, just anticipate when they're going to happen, don't get too close to the guy about to do the pass and track the runner. Try using X (or square) to get a teammate to close down the passer instead.

You get to the majority of them first.

Top Bottom