• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2018 - Pro Evolution Soccer |OT| Man Blue vs Man Red for the KONAMI Cup

Ostinatto

I´ve played a couple of FIFA 18 matches on lengendary, now i understand how great PES 18 gameplay is.

They only have to fix the goalkeepers and the switching issues.

Please Konami pretty please?

dsk1210

Player switching will supposedly be fixed in the next patch and I haven't had an issue with GK's on the whole for a few years.

I actually think the keepers are really well done and the main problem is the player switching now.

Love the speed of game.

I'm finding it difficult to cope with players bypassing the midfield with through balls to their strikers. They don't really get far, but it just stretches your defence and it becomes physically tiresome to chase them down.

Player switching will supposedly be fixed in the next patch

Source?

tanuki

It’s amazing how Konami can break something as important as player switching, considering it was fine last year. I’m really hoping the patch fixes it.

I’ve been playing a bit of FIFA 18 too and it’s definitely an improvement on last year. But FIFA controls are never as responsive as PES, (I guess that’s the trade off for having better animation), and so the feel of the game is always going to be different.

Can EA just buy out PES already so we can have the best of both worlds?

Sign a new goalkeeper.

"A new signing making his first appearance today then, Jim. Your thoughts?"

"Well, Peter, he's a very versatile player. He can play in 2 or 3 different positions. It'll be interesting to see where the manager starts him today."

Great job!

Roufianos

Sign a new goalkeeper.

"A new signing making his first appearance today then, Jim. Your thoughts?"

"Well, Peter, he's a very versatile player. He can play in 2 or 3 different positions. It'll be interesting to see where the manager starts him today."

Great job!

"That's high class goalkeeping to backup his high class wage".

It's an academy keeper that I'm playing for a cup game.

Coffinhal

I have so much fun with this game ! I played a lot on PC this week-end, 1920*1080 on my videoprojector. Started a career with Barcelona. I love the career mode, it's much better than what Fifa does so far. Great mise en scène. I understand everything pretty well. I love the tactical options and the data you can gather to understand better how you play. And the gameplay is so much fun. The training are really useful and well done. So much real faces ! And the animations are top notch. So much depth.

A few cons : No injuries so far ; Few fouls by the opponents ; I play on normal and I miss FIFA sliders. It's too easy on amateur and a little bit too hard on normal, it's not really realistic with Barça (6V/3N/2L) ; I take a lot of goals from set pieces ; the goalkeepers are amazing but sometimes do shitty job (but that's more realistic than FIFA)

I bought Fabinho, Séri and on loan young Simeone and Lucas Hernandez.

Need to try the online part now.

Jingo

Why does the computer doesnt control my team when i play in clan mode?
It feels like i have to control all players individually or they wont move at all.

I played in team lobby mode and everything looks fine, the computer moves naturally as a team
So i can pass without my partner having to manually move his player so i can pass him.

Any tips?

ChanMan

Pack your midfield and use man marking. Man mark the main/quickest attacker with a defensive midfielder which leaves two centre backs as back up. Don't try to go for the ball as it's going overhead unless you can definitely get it. The attacker's first touch should slow them down. Using super cancel also helps a lot with balls over the top, also manually running back and anticipating the through ball.

Thanks for the tips as I am aware of using all of those you mentioned, my issues mostly come from playing against the CPU. Playing against other people I still see those issues I will honestly say this first PES game for me where I use super cancel always every single time on defence because of how your defenders just let the ball pass them by.

Honestly, I have shelved the game for now due to all the issues it have been having, I am really disappointed in this game this year and I felt like I would feel that way after the demo came out. I probably check it out again once they release a few data packs and patches but for now I am done. :\

Boogs31

I'm finding it difficult to cope with players bypassing the midfield with through balls to their strikers. They don't really get far, but it just stretches your defence and it becomes physically tiresome to chase them down.

I play exclusively against COM and they do the same thing. They do this crazy long ground pass to the striker, then he passes to the sideline once the defense collapses. The central defenders should be in position to steal that first pass every time. I don't really enjoy the game at the moment. It feels very repetitive because every team uses that exact same strategy. The AI, especially on defense, seems significantly worse than last years version.

Does anyone have recommendations on what to listen to instead of the commentary?

It's so dull.

I've done podcasts but wondering if anyone has a unique trick.

borges

Banned
the goalkeapers are really inconsistent, 80% of the goals i receive in superstar or legend difficulty are stupid rebounds.

Oh, nostalgia. In PES 6 I used to play with Arsenal and 90% of my goals were always the same: Henry running slightly on the left, shoot to GK's body, and Bergkamp/Reyes capturing rebound and making the goal. The unstoppable goal strategy.

I got a pretty good OF from Reddit, only problem is when playing against Bundesliga teams, the tactics are screwed to where they play an agressive high line.

Once that get fixed, the OF will be perfect to my tasting.

Jimrpg

Does anyone have recommendations on what to listen to instead of the commentary?

It's so dull.

I've done podcasts but wondering if anyone has a unique trick.

Not really. The commentary is starting to annoy me too and I'm only 15 hours in, its getting very repetitive. Maybe I'll try turning it off and just have the background noise.

I'm playing Master League at the moment, and i'm somewhat enjoying it. I say somewhat because the general gameplay is fun, the individualism of each player stands out and is one of the best things about PES, but one thing about all sports games, is the grind, particularly in Master League. I think they could have had an option for shorter seasons like in NBA2k. This being the third year in a row I bought it, so there is some weariness, because essentially its the same game. I don't mind, because it was $30 anyways and I only got the 2017 edition April this year.

Some things that I've noticed in this game is that 1-2s are really powerful, at least on 'top player' difficulty. If you can string them together, the CPU AI literally stands still and can't defend it. Scored an incredible goal with 10-12 undefendable passes, backflicks 1-2s and thru ball. The trick is to visualize and pass before you even receive the ball.

Some purchases in master league for the first season in La Liga 2 I've made (most of them free agents), my team is Rayo Vallecano -

Nasri (CAM) 82 - can really pick a pass
Pedro Mendez (LW) 76 - nice pace, decent shot
G. Bou (CF) 79 - really great at holding the ball and holding off opponents, great at being a target man and getting behind the defence for thru balls
Vainqueur (DM) 78 - has an amazing long distance shot on him
Wendell (LB) 80 - great pace and decent dribbler
Chedrou (CB) 77 - decent
Alves (GK) 82 - decent keeper not much else to say

Of all of those, I'd priortise Nasri and Bou. Bou has scored 36 goals and 10 assists and Nasri has 10 and 10 and I've played 33 matches.

T-Rex.

Banned
Score a goal to take the lead online and suddenly it starts lagging, despite being perfect for 70 minutes, and the connection "deteriorates" resulting in the match to be abandoned. I can't believe that trick is still working ffs.

amardilo

I got PES 2018 on PC but something about it looks a little low res (playing on the high settings with my Intel Core i7 6700K OCed to 4.6GHz, GTX 1070 and 16GB RAM at 1440p) and no where near as detailed as I have seen on YouTube videos.

The textures and faces don't look too great.

Is there a bug or am I missing a setting somewhere?

philm87

Score a goal to take the lead online and suddenly it starts lagging, despite being perfect for 70 minutes, and the connection "deteriorates" resulting in the match to be abandoned. I can't believe that trick is still working ffs.

Not had this happen on this version without being given the win. Make sure you add people to your block list who have bad connections or disconnect.

T-Rex.

Banned
Only option to try & prevent it from happening - https://www.konami.com/wepes/2018/report/2018/eu/en/
Is there anyway to check who you played afterwards? Like match records or whatever? I've never really looked into it.

Not had this happen on this version without being given the win. Make sure you add people to your block list who have bad connections or disconnect.
Happened to me twice or thrice so far, but it's just so annoying. What's the point lol.

I keep conceding to goals that come from ricochets, or defenders not switching 'active' on time. I don't know if it's my style of play or not, but it's incredibly disheartening when it happens every match.

22254810_10155266858632636_2428692334931715841_o.jpg

I'm done with this game. People play 4 or 5 up front because they've found out the midfield can just be bypassed with a header or a knock-on. I refuse to use the same tactics to score goals.

LAM09

Is there anyway to check who you played afterwards? Like match records or whatever? I've never really looked into it.

Only match results if the match finishes. However, you can block people even if the match lags out and keep track of them that way.

GHG

I'm done with this game. People play 4 or 5 up front because they've found out the midfield can just be bypassed with a header or a knock-on. I refuse to use the same tactics to score goals.

This is easy to counter.

4-1-4-1, switch your fullback that's on to Lukaku to be a centre back and change the position to be CB as well.

Keep the ball, be patient and play possession football to frustrate the fuck out of your opponent. 70%+ possession usually does the trick. They will struggle to get the ball back because they have no midfield. Bask in the win and prepare yourself for a very salty message.

philm87

Make sure you set up man marking, particularly on the wingers. If you work out how to defend well against these muppets you'll be able to rip them apart. Even more satisfying than a normal win when that happens.

Stick with it, I'm loving this PES more than any PES since PES 2008.

Dueck

Banned
No option file for the Xbox One again, whatever, I tried (and hated) FIFA 18's gameplay, and that's a bigger deal to me. What I want to know is whether or not I'm blind or the game's internal edit options are also severely limited. Can you import logos or create/edit leagues at all? If so, I certainly can't figure out how...

dsk1210

How do you use the familiarity and tactical training? I honestly have no idea.

I can train players fine but have no idea how to use the items on the manager.

Edit. I am idiot, manager menu on the squad screen.

What even are free kicks?

Funnily enough my very first game after the update last week I received something that I never had in the season and a half of ML before the download; a penalty kick. I thought "Fuck me, they've actually fixed it!" but it turns out it was just one massive coincidence because I've had about one free kick in 20 odd games since. They need to sort that out, but they won't.

It was announced a few days back that PES is now an official partner with Arsenal, which finally means the Emirates will be added.

Speaking of Arsenal, last night I noticed for the first time that whoever created the Premier League OF I downloaded has had a bit of fun. I come up against them with Roma and as the teams are walking out I notice a "Wenger Out" banner. Had me laughing.

Funnily enough my very first game after the update last week I received something that I never had in the season and a half of ML before the download; a penalty kick. I thought "Fuck me, they've actually fixed it!" but it turns out it was just one massive coincidence because I've had about one free kick in 20 odd games since. They need to sort that out, but they won't.

It was announced a few days back that PES is now an official partner with Arsenal, which finally means the Emirates will be added.

Speaking of Arsenal, last night I noticed for the first time that whoever created the Premier League OF I downloaded has had a bit of fun. I come up against them with Roma and as the teams are walking out I notice a "Wenger Out" banner. Had me laughing.

Lol, didn't even think about PK's due to it being non-existent on my side of things.

Honestly, think I'll just switch over to FIFA for now. I acknowledge PES is far superior when it comes to gameplay but man are its flaws egregiously annoying. I'll come back when it's patched. Which from what I've read about PES updates, it could be a long.

I need my football fix, guess FIFA will do for now.

edit: I was about to buy FIFA digitally on the Xbox but beforehand decided to give the FIFA 18 Demo a shot and my god is the gamefly infinitely inferior to PES 's lol.

Think I'll wait on the first PES then.

Temetti

Neo Member
If there's still someone without a clan, you're more than welcome to join P.Rautianen & the lads. I usually play with my brother, but when he's not around it's hard to get co-op games going. We usually play with Napoli or Dortmund. So if you enjoy fast football with counter attacks and swell passing game, join the lads.

yagal

It says something about the game when people feel the need to opt for hardly any midfield in their formations.

Do you talk about shit like this?

I understand the appeal of this formation, the offensive pressure is just insane but you need to always have the ball and your defending skills need to be on point.
It's very good against people who don't want/know how to adapt their game

You can counter it

But Imo it's a good this that formation like these can somehow work, the strikers can defend more than usual or you can just do it manually. PES 2018 is flexible and it's a good thing

Temetti

Neo Member
There's lots of players who use tikitaka with many attackers but like you guys said it's not unbeatable. You'll learn how they try to beat your defence and can counter it. Just keep at it. It's really awful to defend against tikitaka or people who only use crosses but it's doable.

Matty8787

I still don't know how to remove an OF I have used to install a new one it's something simple but I am scared of deleting my saved games.

Top Bottom