• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone think a Remaster of Battlefield 3 would be amazing?

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Think about it, the game was beloved on PC

Hardly.

OK, I have to ask, can somebody explain to me why Bad Company 2 is always held up on a pedestal of perfection?

I remember playing the multiplayer, but while good, didn't find it to be any better than Battlefield 3, or 4, which is the one I ended up enjoying the most

Because the series experienced a big influx of players around that time fresh from Call of Duty who were wowed by the destruction compared to the static environments of CoD. And BC2 did destruction better, or at least more consistently, than BF3/4.

But judged as a Battlefield game, it was crap. Not saying that it wasn't fun - it offered plenty of that - but the notion that BC2 is the peak of the series, with its small player counts, cramped maps, poorly balanced classes, and de-emphasis of combined arms gameplay, is utterly laughable. You'll find most comparisons, even (or especially) here on GAF, weighing BC2 against its various successors, but almost never against the PC classics. They have no idea how far the series fell following the move to Frostbite.

BC2 deserves it more-so. BF3 isn't THAT different from the currently available Battlefield titles; at least BC2 is a departure that's beloved by fans and has already been market tested as a moderate success.

Why a remaster when they can just do Battlefield 5 in a modern setting? I really don't see what people see when they're nostalgic about Battlefield 3 versus Battlefield 4 (outside of the rough launch).

Battlefield 3 and even Bad Company 2 were a step backwards in the things I cared about, extensive modding support with complete overhauls/custom assets/maps. It's really strange how the Battlefield franchise left the modding community behind despite it being absolutely massive. Now Project Reality has a standalone game of its own (Squad) and there's also Post Scriptum on the way. People can blame DLC culture all they want for this but we bought the BF2 expansion packs despite having mod support. DICE's offerings have been worth paying for and the modding community wouldn't have any problem paying for their DLCs just because we had tons of custom maps.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
all downhill since BF2.

PUBG actually brings back a lot of feelings of playing the early battlefields. the wide open expanses, tearing across barren terrain to occupy some outpost on the edge of nowhere interspersed with inaccurate exchanges of fire with small clumps of pixels on the other side of a valley. gives the actual intense moments much more narrative and value.

newer battlefields are a diabetic sugar rush by comparison. shit thrown at you from the first moment to the last to satisfy even the most ADD call of duty refugee, ultimately diluting the whole experience.

Zareka

I mean I'd take it, BF3 was great, but like most others here I'd prefer Bad Company 2 remastered.

Hell just gimme a Bad Company 3 already!

OK, I have to ask, can somebody explain to me why Bad Company 2 is always held up on a pedestal of perfection?

I remember playing the multiplayer, but while good, didn't find it to be any better than Battlefield 3, or 4, which is the one I ended up enjoying the most

Amazing map design.
Great weapon balance.
No jets.
No prone.
Full destructibility.
Perfect sound design.
Just really fun to play.

It's not the traditional Battlefield experience, but it's so damn good. Easily my favorite MP shooter of all time.

They need to update the movement so you can at least sprint and strafe at the same time. Adding vaulting wouldn't hurt either.

But otherwise it should stay mostly the same. Just get rid of the magnum ammo (25% more damage) and armor (25% more HP) perks, since they were like required to use to be on an even playing field and they just cancelled each other out.

Getting good with the tracer dart is like being the enemy choppers worst nightmare. My buddy and I became really good at it, so one always tagged and the other one took them down with the RPG.

Tracer darts were actually useless against any decent pilot, especially if they had a friend for gunner. You both run flares and on the off-chance you get tagged multiple times, you just pop flares and no more lock-on.

I actually got to the point where we stopped running flares cause no one could ever tag us.

Circle-strafers and crescent maneuvers meant the best way to shoot a helicopter down was to grab the Carl Gustav and "git gud" at aiming and learning their patterns.

vocab

Remove the blue tint +insane lens flare and maybe the game might be playable. Visual clarity was so bad in bf3, it ruined the entire game.

all downhill since BF2.

The class design/fun peaked with 2142. The game play went down hill since bc2.

Joco

BF3 I thought was terrible coming on the heels of the great Bad Company 2. Although now this thread has me wishing for a remaster of that. Get on it, DICE!

Warablo

I'll tell you what, I don't know if the future looks bright with Dice after BF1 and Star Wars Battlefront. Sure they look like great games, but it doesn't have the same staying power or depth as BF3 did. BF4 also took awhile to get working right at launch too.

all downhill since BF2.

PUBG actually brings back a lot of feelings of playing the early battlefields. the wide open expanses, tearing across barren terrain to occupy some outpost on the edge of nowhere interspersed with inaccurate exchanges of fire with small clumps of pixels on the other side of a valley. gives the actual intense moments much more narrative and value.

newer battlefields are a diabetic sugar rush by comparison. shit thrown at you from the first moment to the last to satisfy even the most ADD call of duty refugee, ultimately diluting the whole experience.

I gotta disagree. The newer Battlefields are certainly more fast-paced than older Battlefields, but the map design still allows for long range engagements. From BF1, the best example is Monte Grappa. Most of the engagements on that map take place up a steep mountain. I often find myself taking potshots at people at the top of the mountain when I'm at the bottom. I'm essentially shooting at little ants. BF4 had tons of expansive maps, especially in some of the DLC. I can't remember the names of most of them, but a great example would be Dragon Valley.

Even the older Battlefields had some close-quarters maps. 1942 had Omaha Beach, which, once you got off the beach, was pretty tight. One of the most famous Battlefield maps ever, Wake Island, isn't really that big either.

fersnake

I'd rather have a remaster of Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 1943

i really miss BBC2 days, i remember playing one time in Nelson Bay (a night map) in rush mode, everyone was pushing to activate the bomb and everyone is reviving giving ammo etc it was like a "real" war and the funny thing it was with random ppl, now? its just plain bad if you're not in a party.

all downhill since BF2.

Jeez, when you put it like that, it actually makes me hate BF1.

I miss BF2.

I'm gonna puke. 🤢

rqq2HCT.gif

Mit-

3 was beloved on PC? As a BF2 player who played thousands of hours, I loathed 3 and dropped it within a month. Bad maps, no in-game VOIP, no squad leaders or commanders, no fixed minimap. Was unplayable for me. Also I'm pretty sure BF2 is a far more beloved PC game (note: BF2, PC version, and not Bad Company 2 or the console version).

And yeah BF4 is just a better BF3. They just need to make BF5 because I'm tired of the same BF4 maps. Or release still more maps. I would like every BF2 map ported, pls (especially Jalalabad, Karkand, Sharqi, and Mashtuur).

Rizific

bf4 did everything better than bf3, so no it wouldnt be amazing. amazing would be a bc2, bf2, or 2142 remaster.

I would certainly love 1943 to have had a pc release. They canned it sadly.

Battlefields 2 remaster would be pretty cool. Not so bad on the unlocks.

Battlefield 1943 is still the best Frostbite Battlefield game. Make it 16v16 at minimum, remove the head-bob, and render it in 1080p at 60fps and you've got a winner.

teokrazia

Because the series experienced a big influx of players around that time fresh from Call of Duty who were wowed by the destruction compared to the static environments of CoD. And BC2 did destruction better, or at least more consistently, than BF3/4.

But judged as a Battlefield game, it was crap. Not saying that it wasn't fun - it offered plenty of that - but the notion that BC2 is the peak of the series, with its small player counts, cramped maps, poorly balanced classes, and de-emphasis of combined arms gameplay, is utterly laughable. You'll find most comparisons, even (or especially) here on GAF, weighing BC2 against its various successors, but almost never against the PC classics. They have no idea how far the series fell following the move to Frostbite.

Best post of the thread.

Naked Lunch

BC2 is the most overrated FPS of all time. Seriously, go back and play it right now.
BF3 was the last good Battlefield, but it still wasnt close to the PC classics. BF4's gunplay and vehicle play is terrible in comparison. BF1 is casual junk. I would remaster the 2004 BF2 over 3 though.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I feel BF4 post all the patches is the better game to be honest, at least on PC with them high tickrate servers.

RNG

Eh, I'd rather have Battlefield 2 remastered with Frostbite graphics/destruction, balance changes here and there, less comm spam, and current day 60 tick hit detection.

Top Bottom