• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mount and Blade: Warband |OT|

Banned
15 hours in, one castle, 2 fiefs, no money and wondering whether or not eloping with a girl will help or hurt my chances of being king.

This GAME IS AWESOME

And I haven't even touched multiplayer.

Soule

Ugh I think I was a bit optimistic trying to defend my little keep with 50 v 500... killed 150 but yeah I'm no Leonidas it seems :(

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I've tried tutorial in the trial version and mechanics hooked me up. Will try campaign mode tommorow.

also need to install this landscape mod...

This game is great. I'm in love all over again. Multiplayer is a blast... and it helps that my character's name is Kratos so I've seen some humorous kills such as Kratos <Spear> Jesus. :lol

There's some ping issues in MP that lead to some frustration and bullshit kills, though... but it's somewhat understandable (64 players). Here's hoping they can patch that in the future somehow.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Soule said:
Ugh I think I was a bit optimistic trying to defend my little keep with 50 v 500... killed 150 but yeah I'm no Leonidas it seems :(
Can I ask if this is only capable of being played with Warband? Or the original also? I'm thinking of getting the original, but I may just wait out for Warband. MP is kind of a 2nd priority for me right now.

n0b

EviLore said:
Did the first couple missions, and took a few screens (added to OP). It seems they've actually put some effort into the single player quests this time around, so people starting things up won't be at a loss as to what to do.

Does it seem like the single player improvements make it worth it to somebody that already owns the first game? I did get pretty addicted to mount and blade for a while, but eventually the lack of direction made me lose interest.

I like the sound of the improvements, I'm just not sure it would be worth it if I don't really get into the multiplayer. Since nobody in my friends list has it, I kind of wonder what the MP experience would be like. Is it a server based system where I'll just be able to play around until I find a community that I like playing with or is it something that I need to know a group of people to play with before I get into the game.

Soule

shintoki said:
Can I ask if this is only capable of being played with Warband? Or the original also? I'm thinking of getting the original, but I may just wait out for Warband. MP is kind of a 2nd priority for me right now.
Yeah definitely, I remember defending my castles in the original and being vastly outnumbered, although my feeling thus far is there are larger group battles in Warband, after that little 50v500 i came to the aid of a comrade in another castle and it was 170v1100 and I don't think I ever got a battle that big (not that it lasted long lol) in the original. Warband definitely seems to have expanded a bit upon the original some cool new options and a bit more streamlined in single player, multiplayer is definitely a cool add on. Tried it today and it was quite addictive.

Quick question, anyone else had the problem when you lose a battle and you have to find your named characters again and when you do they won't rejoin? I had Alayen in my group and when I went to ask him to rejoin I had a full company so he didn't rejoin but now when I talk to him he won't come back into my group :( I just say something along the lines of "We're movign at dawn" and he just says yeah ok but he's still chilling in Jelkala the next day! grrr

Hari Seldon

Damn forgot about this game! I spent a lot of time with the first one with one of the mods. Sounds like this game has a bit more direction.

I am loving the multiplayer. I think I just got my fill of the single player from the first game (and really enjoyed it, I loved the open world... "directionless" experience it offered) so MP has been my primary focus so far, and I can definitely see this being my go-to-game for the next few months.

I see so many incredible things every time I play. Last night on the ATS 64 player battle server, an impromptu Swadian Calvary unit formed spontaneously, lining up off the left flank of the swadian infantry and charging together in a nealy perfect wedge formation. They then proceeded to charge into the rear of the enemy formation just as their infantry made contact, and watching the enemy archers scatter as they plowed through them was pretty great. People must have thought this was the coolest thing ever because after two rounds this calvary unit had grown from 10 people to around 25 or so. We even had one on each side of our shrinking infantry/archer contingent at one point.

There's one map called Battle on the Ice where one side is emerging from a forest onto a frozen lake, where the other side is forming up around a boat stuck in the ice. Archers from the forest side can use a nearby house for cover, archers from the lake side can get into the boat and use the walls for cover while calvary and infantry duel on the perfectly flat surface. After 2 or 3 rounds the lake forces usually realize they need to neutralize those archers at the house (who have almost perfect cover and vantage point on the roof), so if their infantry sprints to the house early they can reach it about the same time. Well the forest side will realize after getting trounced one round like this that they need infantry over there as well, so two distinct battlefronts form, one on the ice itself, one near the house. This kind of back and forth tactics modifications make most of the maps very dynamic and really keeps the game from growing stale. Usually you play around 10-15 rounds on a map (not really sure what causes a map to end, it happens automatically at some point but also you can vote for a new map), there is usually enough time to see several shifts in tactics.

Having the random plains battlefield is a great feature, although usually the side with the best calvary just trounces the other side unless there is a nice hill near the other side's starting position (and they take advantage of it).

I highly recommend new players read the infantry primer on the warbands forum at taleworlds.com. Even with extensive experience with singleplayer I learned a lot from it (I didn't know you could parry, for instance... NOT manual blocking with a weapon but actually how to block with a swing).

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just bought the game today. And played it for 1-2 hours.
I'm impressed by the amount of changes to the single-player campaign. I expected some, but i didn't expect this much. Loving all the interface changes, it's going be hard going back to M&B after this. I just hope, the modders get their mods converted for this! :D
Multiplayer. (which i mostly bought the game for) is loads of fun so far, although the server list is really buggy. It doesn't show all the servers, and certain servers randomly appear and disappear.>_>

AndyD

aka andydumi
Picked this up.

I have only played SP so far. About 2 hours in and I am a trading fiend. I only have 25 or so followers, but I leveled them up and I have tons of money. Some 15k gold.

Also, someone mentioned commands? You can give orders on the battlefield? I always hate how all my guys just rush around like crazy.

Also is there a way to dismount in combat? Sometimes I just want to finish off a guy by hand and running around on horse takes forever.

And is there a way to see the whole map? Some towns for trading are too far to see if its worth it. And is there a better trading interface when I level up trading so I can learn routes and remember prices at different locations?

And how do you guys get castles and towns? I just run around killing robbers and deserters and I have a feeling that the campaign is somewhere else. All I did was the first mission, then the merchant fled the city. How do I get more missions? Villagers say they have nothing for me.

RyanDG

AndyD said:
Picked this up.

I have only played SP so far. About 2 hours in and I am a trading fiend. I only have 25 or so followers, but I leveled them up and I have tons of money. Some 15k gold.

Also, someone mentioned commands? You can give orders on the battlefield? I always hate how all my guys just rush around like crazy.

Also is there a way to dismount in combat? Sometimes I just want to finish off a guy by hand and running around on horse takes forever.

And is there a way to see the whole map? Some towns for trading are too far to see if its worth it. And is there a better trading interface when I level up trading so I can learn routes and remember prices at different locations?

And how do you guys get castles and towns? I just run around killing robbers and deserters and I have a feeling that the campaign is somewhere else. All I did was the first mission, then the merchant fled the city. How do I get more missions? Villagers say they have nothing for me.

#1 - Yep, you can give basic commands. Each of your guys can be assigned to groups under your party screen (they default to either Infantry, Archers, Cavalry for the 1,2,3 keys). After pressing the corresponding group button, you can then use the f1 key to bring up the orders menu which will give you the option for movement orders/formation orders and then you use those to assign specific orders (such as advance 10 paces, stand closer, charge, follow me, hold this position).

#2 - Look down at your horse and you should have the option to dismount. This is usually the 'f' key to dismount - whatever your selection/action button is.

#3 - You can zoom out on the map screen, but honestly, the trading option really needs some work to make it more intuitive.

#4 - Fiefs are handed out by Kings/Faction Leaders. So basically you want to get enough renown to either hire on with one of the lords (or start your own faction and become your own king). Do well enough and you will eventually be awarded a town/village/castle depending... You can also make depends for fiefs. Quests can either be given by the Lords for the factions/Kings/or Village elders. There isn't really a 'campaign' per se, other than what you make of it. The game is incredibly open ended... You can follow whatever path you choose -the campaign is just what you make of it. ;)

Wow, picked this up last night after a co-worker and Giant Bomb talked about it. Holy shit, never has there been a more simultaneously brilliant and retarded multiplayer game. It is so hard to fight well online but it is insanely addictive.

I had two kills last night, two! That is it for and hour and a half of play. So worth it though, one was a awesome head shot with a crossbow. I need to pracitce a lot for the ground combat. So ridic. Haven't bothered with the single player yet, and probably never will.

Holy snaps'n chaps, 120 player multiplayer? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt5AmqA3STc

This game is so freaking funny. It reminds me of the old Battlefield... you die in so many funny ways:lol

It takes a lot of skill, but I have played now for maybe 40 hours and I am beginning to get better at it, but I am still not anywhere near the good guys. I don't know how they do it. It's all in the timing I guess.

Much harder than any first person shooter I ever played:D

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Vigilant Walrus said:
Holy snaps'n chaps, 120 player multiplayer? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt5AmqA3STc

This game is so freaking funny. It reminds me of the old Battlefield... you die in so many funny ways:lol

It takes a lot of skill, but I have played now for maybe 40 hours and I am beginning to get better at it, but I am still not anywhere near the good guys. I don't know how they do it. It's all in the timing I guess.

Much harder than any first person shooter I ever played:D

Yeah, I just wish I knew how to swing my sword faster. I can hit and run people fairly decently, but in-close I eat it like I'm Dhalsim or something.

Fun game to play in a change from TF2. Definitely will be playing lots of this, TF2, and EU3 this weekend, weather permitting.

Coldsnap

I heard Dave talk about this game on the bombcast, made me really want to try it. The thing is though I never play PC games, I have a PC that is equipped to run games well but I just never do. I'm thinking this game might be too hardcore for me.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Coldsnap said:
I heard Dave talk about this game on the bombcast, made me really want to try it. The thing is though I never play PC games, I have a PC that is equipped to run games well but I just never do. I'm thinking this game might be too hardcore for me.

It's only a little more hardcore as TF2. I think it's a very casual game, especially singleplayer.

My suggestion would be to wait for a DD sale, this game will be $10 or less in a few months.
I think it's worth the $30 they charge for it though.

I'm still playing this as well, still love it. Some really basic tips that I can share in MP are:

-Always upgrade your shield. Even at the expense of better weapons/armor. I've seen the top tier rhodok shield absorb over 20 arrows before. If you're an archer, try and loot a shield ASAP. Nothing else in this game will keep you alive like a quality shield. Even if it means just holding out until help arrives.

-If you want to practice throwing weapons, play a Nord Scout and buy three stacks of tier 1 javelins (free for this class, everybody else pays 300-400 per stack), (I like to sell my horse and upgrade my shield + armor to go along with this as well). You can save 1 javelin and hit X to switch it over to a melee mode, or just loot a better weapon on the field.

-All Vaegir classes have riding 2 skill, so you can steal a tier 2 horse even as an archer.

-Never joust head on against swadian calvary, 99% they've got a great lance, which has insane reach, and will beat you even if you joust better than them. Turn away at the last second and try to catch them from the side.

-Rhodok Infantry tier 2 lance (Pike) is the best anti-calvary weapon, even though they have like 6 tiers of spears just get this one. Can't use a shield but you'll beat any calvary, even swadians with great lance. Definitely worth having as a secondary weapon, unless you're playing against Nords where most of their team will be horse-less.

-Rhodok Crossbowman is probably the most friendly class for a new player. Good ranged weapon, good melee weapon selection, and they carry a shield meaning you can double as infantry and join a shield wall of guys pressing forward no problem.

-It really does pay off to not upgrade or upgrade lightly the first round or two and then buy some nice equipment. You'll see a lot of experienced players do this. If you buy 800 - 1000 gold in equipment the first round, and then die every round following, you'll never get back to 1000 gold and won't even be able to afford the layout you initially bought (you get 500 gold per round, + gold for any kills)

Llyranor

This will easily make it in my top10 this year. PvP is great stuff, don't think I'll even both with singleplayer.

Gameplay is awesome. Every fighting style feels so satisfying; you really have to earn your kills. Jousting people on horseback with a lance is awesome, riding by people and slashing them with a sword is awesome, mounted archery is awesome, just plain old archery is awesome, engaging in on-foot duels with all kinds of various weapons is awesome (trying to block without a shield is pretty awesome, though you don't want to end up in such a situation). Combat is just so freaking satisfying in this game. Mounted combat has been perfected.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I wish that rolling over a village name in the distance would give me some more info in the tooltip. Not stuff I would not know, like who is there, but for example my honor/fame rating in that village. It would help in deciding which path to take somewhere as I could maximize the recruiting potential along the way.

Also if you have high ratings in a village do you get stuff cheaper?

And I would also like improvements to the trade system so that I remember which routes are profitable and which products are cheap/expensive historically in one place as I level up trade.

Also, they need to look at the tournament AI for jousting matches. They quickly devolve into everyone stuck in the walls trying to hit each other and me ramming them at full speed. Although jousting is so much fun. I had to remember all by flying game skills to feint and scissor into position using the horse's speed as a thruster to make tight turns then blast someone in the back.

The game is so much fun though, I spent a ton of hours with it this past weekend. I like its overgame more than the combat though. The politics, trade, intrigue its all a lot of fun.

Even in combat I mostly direct my groups to do stuff not so much fight myself. Perhaps that is why I am still only lvl 8 or so after 15 hours and 50 days in game.

And I still have no castles or villages. Just a ton of money, a lot of villages like me and a mini army that is well equipped.

They also need to allow us to use spoils of war like armors and weapons to level up lowly soldiers. There's hardly any money in those items anyway.

Llyranor

Man, I'm completely addicted to the phenomenal multiplayer. I didn't pick up the game day1 because of lack of co-op, but I'm not missing it at all (the few custom battles I played showed a pretty lackluster AI compared to other humans).

I love riding across open plains on horseback and jousting archers in the face, or filling enemy horses with arrows, and doing ride-by slash-a-tons on enemy infantry looking the other way. Mounted combat is so utterly satisfying, and masterfully implemented. Just really love it to bits.

Even basic archery is lots of fun. Standing on the castle walls wailing death from above onto the invading force, or covering allied players as they're engaged in a melee, or just killing off horses as one of your infantry allies kills the enemy knight just as he falls off the horse.

On-foot melee can be pretty cool as well (and necessarily once you lose your horse or get in melee range as an archer). Attacking or defending on the castle walls of a siege can be loads of fun. It's pretty important to switch between the various styles, fighting defensively with the shield when you need to buy time for reinforcements to come or the enemy has ranged back-up shooting at you (don't turn your back!), or going for a stronger two-handed weapon when it's a big melee and the enemy isn't paying attention to your swings. Parrying with just a weapon is tough, but pretty satisfying when you pull it off.

The various game modes are nice. Team deathmatch is just a large mess of melee. Riding around trying to joust people is pretty fun. The sheer horror you get when you get knocked off your horse and are completely surrounded by enemy knights is pretty awesome. There you, looking in your every direction, shield up, trying to evade any incoming riders, while hoping until allied reinforcements come to back you up, or some riderless horse gets near you so you can escape. Awesome!

Basic CTF is nice. It's more team-based as teams start off in different areas of the map. It's usually a mix of infantry/archer defense at the bases and mounted combat occuring in the middle of the map. Flag pursuits are really fun. You have to get off your horse to cap the flag, so hacking off the horse (or just stealing it) as the enemy is trying to cap yours is a very viable tactic (nom nom nom).

Conquest is basically king of the hill with various flags spread across the map. This is more a territory-based mode, so the teams have to spread out and control as much terrain as they can, which makes for quite a different experience.

Siege is awesome, but less horse-centered. Setting up ladders (or kicking them down), bringing up the siege towers, assaulting the enemy castle from different locations to try to overwhelm and flank the resistance, or defending against various breaches in the castle walls. Great fun. I usually love castle siege stuff, and it's particularly well-implemented here. Defense takes more time to respawn, which makes things pretty tense.

The one mode I don't like (aside from vanilla Deathmatch since I only play team games) is Battle, which is just 1 life per round. Good on paper, which should make for some tense battles. Unfortunately, it just ends up with everyone playing an archery and camping/hiding, which I don't find goes well with the gameplay at all.

I love this game. Needs more representation by PC-GAF.

Wanace

Got the game today, amazing.

One bug, anyone else noticed this:

The slave trader says he's giving you money for the slaves you sell him, but you don't actually get anything. I'd post this in their official forums but my account isn't approved yet, despite registering my game key. :(

Annoyed by that but otherwise great game!

Llyranor

This game has become my newest game addiction. Playing this with a bunch of buddies is a real blast. Teamwork is pretty important as one of you is trying to block an enemy's attacks while the other tries to smash him down with a giant two-handed sword, or trying to shift your position so as to get your melee opponent to expose his back to your archer buddy. Forming a shield barrier as you're going up a ladder to siege the enemy castle walls while defending your two-handed or ranged allies, saving a trapped outnumbered buddy by jousting one of the assaillants with a well-placed lance in the back on horseback. Forming a wall of bodies as a few of you are guarding the open gatehouse and trying to close the gates again while fending off the invading force. Two knights covering each other and baiting enemies into exposing their back to the other by coordinating riding maneuvers. All good fun.

Surprising how barely anyone here plays this game. Is the master race extinct?

Purkake4

Banned
Is there any benefit for keeping enemy lords prisoners instead of randsoming them out? Do I have less lords to fight if I keep them locked up?

Also, this game really needs a "execute" button for your prisoners.

Ember128

Purkake4 said:
Is there any benefit for keeping enemy lords prisoners instead of randsoming them out? Do I have less lords to fight if I keep them locked up?
Yes. It helps the odds a bit. holding them in a Castle with an ample Guard and a Prison Tower yields the best results.

Also, this game really needs a "execute" button for your prisoners.
You can also convert them to your side when/if you go for your own Kingdom.

I really like defending Swadian Castles. One ladder, Several Swadian Sergeants or Knights with many Crossbowman, using a Siege Crossbow and a Balanced Great Sword. No way out.

:D

dionysus

Yaldog
My God, how did I miss this. This is the best game I have played in years, akin to when I first discovered Civ II and Alpha Centauri. Who knew I had always wanted to play a medieval king maker simulation.

Me and Anya the Pearled One are going to conquer the word. Can you marry one of these claimants to a throne? Because I have been avoiding all other romances hoping to marry a future queen.

Vlad

Jakeh111 said:
Got this game 2 days ago and hooked on SP. Love the openness, started a new game as a trader. This wiki has helped me out alot http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Mount&Blade:_Warband. Still have one question, how do you herd cattle!

If I remember correctly, the first game required you to click on them, giving you the option of "drive the cattle" and "slaughter them for meat".

One thing I'm curious about, did they change the system for the towns you own in regards to the money you get from them and how much you have to pay the people defending them?

That's the one thing that really bugged me about the first game. As much as I was trying to just conquer everything, I ended up never being able to make enough money to pay all the people I needed defending my towns. The taxes and the amounts I got from slaughtering opposing armies always seemed disproportionately low.

Wanace

Vlad said:
If I remember correctly, the first game required you to click on them, giving you the option of "drive the cattle" and "slaughter them for meat".

One thing I'm curious about, did they change the system for the towns you own in regards to the money you get from them and how much you have to pay the people defending them?

That's the one thing that really bugged me about the first game. As much as I was trying to just conquer everything, I ended up never being able to make enough money to pay all the people I needed defending my towns. The taxes and the amounts I got from slaughtering opposing armies always seemed disproportionately low.

You pay half wages to men who are in your garrison. As long as your caravans/villagers are making it to their destinations then you castles/towns will be happy and bring in more money. I actually made a profit a few times.

I currently have two towns, a castle, and one village under my direct control (the others are under my vassals), my army is about 95 men strong, and I'm paying about 1000 gold a week to maintain.

However, my vassals capture a SHITLOAD of bandits which I sell off for a huge profit. They usually just leave them in the garrison at our towns/castles. I also loot villages and battle and sell off good loot that I get.

One tip is don't take EVERYTHING you can get after a battle. I usually only just take the top few items that are worth more so I have more room and can stay out in the field battling longer.

Currently have all Lordly Armor/Masterwork weapons and 55000 gold in pocket.

dionysus said:
Me and Anya the Pearled One are going to conquer the word. Can you marry one of these claimants to a throne? Because I have been avoiding all other romances hoping to marry a future queen.

I don't believe you can marry claimants.

Billen

Banned
This game is insanely fun. Loved the old Mount & Blade, and I was afraid that the mp would be awful. Tried a Team DM and found it to be just that, awful. Having tried siege though my faith has been restored. :D

HAHAHAHAHA... :lol :lol :lol

I am having the time of my life on the 250 player server. there was just 150 on it( 75 vs 75) and it ran smooth as butter.

I don't care about dying as long as I fall in the complete arrow chaos. "our arrows will bloat the..:" *KUAK!* and dead:p

This game is the best online game I have played in years. Such a bad ass little indie experience. :D

Billen

Banned
People, try the servers running the cRPG mod. You get to level a character that is persistent accross the different servers. Huge amounts of people clashing together, and huge amounts of fun. More info is to be found in the official forums.

Nice, I'll check it out.

But seriously, WTF is going on here? Why are everybody on GAF not playing this? the system requirements are low, the game is amazing, there is nothing else like it = profit all the way to hell!

man people dont know quality even if it hit them in the face!

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I'm not willing to shell out 30 bucks for this. But it does look pretty fly. I'll grab on a sale.

EvaPlusMinus said:
I'm not willing to shell out 30 bucks for this. But it does look pretty fly. I'll grab on a sale.

I hate to be a chubby chaser mate, but seriously, do you know the story about how this game came to be?

some guy did by himself, ALONE. In f**king turkey! And he made his wife do all the textures! It's taken forever to get him this far.

Mate, we need to support the indie devs who really struggled. this is not going out to some greedy fucks who live by the grace of koticks! No! This dough goes directly into the makers education.

i think the company is the only developer in turkey! the cloest developer to them is the mafia guys but they are from the Czech Republic.

Stahsky

Calm down home slice. I'm all for supporting our wonderful indie devs, but I sorta need cash to do that.

EvaPlusMinus said:
Calm down home slice. I'm all for supporting our wonderful indie devs, but I sorta need cash to do that.

Sorry mate. I just sorta get eratic when I go into fanboy. I'm like a T-2000 only fat and on Segway loaded with Jonathon Blow T-Shirts and Hentai manga!

Stahsky

I hadn't realized that my little brother owned it on his account. Been playing it from time to time. Really awesome. Only played a bit of the multiplayer, though. Will try more later.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
I played it, it's a good game, but the MP is lacking in content somewhat, and didn't like the 1 life= wait 4 minutes to start again.

Single-player was good, but not much better then the base game.

It's worth picking up, but I'd say wait for a sale.

BTW even if you get the Steam version, you can download the game off the site and use your Steam CD Key and it works, so you can get the game off Steam (I bought the Steam version since it was 10% cheaper because of this)

Bossman

Just played some multiplayer with 200 players. Here are some pics:

23jsndx.jpg

2ci724i.jpg

wm7t.jpg

2yw76a9.jpg

5150mc.jpg

mh7fhl.jpg

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I forgot about this game. Will buy probably as soon as I finish DA Awakening.

subversus said:
I forgot about this game. Will buy probably as soon as I finish DA Awakening.

I had forgot about this too, bought it this morning to correct my error. I put a ton of time into the demo and built a respectable position with the Vaegir, gaining possession of a castle and fief before quitting and promising myself that I would buy it when I had the money to. Maybe one of us should start a "GAF Plays" thread about the game, nowhere near enough people raving here about it, perhaps if they see how fun it actually is they'll want in. :D

Eccocid

My friend from school is working for this game in Ankara.
This game had some coverage in Turkey cuz of its success(is it btw?). And more ppl started to invest to game developers in here now.

Top Bottom