• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mount and Blade: Warband |OT|

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ok, so, I'm still playing this and still getting my ass whipped by some things.

For instance, I was given a quest by a Lady to rescue it's Brother from a Castle. I can't siege the castle (I only have 75 troops), going into it Steahtly is a pain in the ass. So I wondered if I could resolve this through some sort of arrangement with the dude the castle belongs to.

Turns out I have the dude captured with me (along with another 4 nords). I don't have a city, so I can't dump them in the prison. If I choose to speak to him, all I do is warn him about not escaping.

Any way I can trade him for the prisoner?

Drazgul

Nope, the only thing you can do with lords is to dump them in some castle prison (this lowers their chance of escape) and wait until the rival kingdom offers a ransom for him. Of course, sometimes it's better to just tell them to stuff it, since the more of their lords you have imprisoned, the less armies they'll be able to field.

Stealthy route is your best bet, but since you have so few troops, you're probably not that far into the game so it's going to be pretty hard. Doable, but hard. You can always just ignore the quest as well.

Wanace

drizzle said:
Ok, so, I'm still playing this and still getting my ass whipped by some things.

For instance, I was given a quest by a Lady to rescue it's Brother from a Castle. I can't siege the castle (I only have 75 troops), going into it Steahtly is a pain in the ass. So I wondered if I could resolve this through some sort of arrangement with the dude the castle belongs to.

Turns out I have the dude captured with me (along with another 4 nords). I don't have a city, so I can't dump them in the prison. If I choose to speak to him, all I do is warn him about not escaping.

Any way I can trade him for the prisoner?

If I remember correctly you can go to a neighboring village to the castle where he is imprisoned and have the village elder create a distraction which will draw away their troops. Then you can disguise yourself and enter the city and rescue the prisoner (will be like one of those ambush scenarios where you have like 3 troops with you and you fight your way out of the city.)

Been a while since I've played but I definitely recall doing something similar in the past.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Cryptozoologist said:
If I remember correctly you can go to a neighboring village to the castle where he is imprisoned and have the village elder create a distraction which will draw away their troops. Then you can disguise yourself and enter the city and rescue the prisoner (will be like one of those ambush scenarios where you have like 3 troops with you and you fight your way out of the city.)

Been a while since I've played but I definitely recall doing something similar in the past.
Doesn't the town need to like me? That's what I gathered from seeing that "make a bonfire old man" once as an village elder option.

Anyway, I'm still loving this game. Currently, i'm sitting pretty at an army of around 80 dudes. The breakdown is not that neatly, but half of that is infantry and the other half is cavalry. The cavalry is awesome, half my army (around 30-40 dudes) can lay waste to same sized armies before any of my infantry men arrive on the battle. I'm just steamrolling fools. However, Cavalry dudes are not that good when not on horse - The usual Sea Bandit lair sometimes kill one of my Knights.

That's why I'm building the other half of my army as infantry. I'd bet the infantry soldiers are better to siege castles and towns? There's really no good info about it anywhere.

Also, what use are villages? I have two at the moment, and it seems all they do is provide me with rent. I know they're poor villages, but they usually give me less money than my less profitable "enterprise" on the main cities. I know I can build enhancements to the villages, and I usually do, but since my engineer skill is 5, it usually takes 30+ days, and war has usually broken by then. Since i'm getting the poorer villages, they're always on the border to other kingdoms, and shit always gets real.

I know this is a lot of text and questions, but do I need to physically go to the village and get the money from the treasury? I know that's the money used to build village enhancements, but it's not clear if the rent goes there or if that's another thing.

Thanks to whoever is reading this, I know it's a lot of dumb newbie questions. I'm on day 250 on my char, but since I didn't know what the hell I was doing, my Skill points are spread everywhere.

drizzle said:
Also, what use are villages? I have two at the moment, and it seems all they do is provide me with rent. I know they're poor villages, but they usually give me less money than my less profitable "enterprise" on the main cities. I know I can build enhancements to the villages, and I usually do, but since my engineer skill is 5, it usually takes 30+ days, and war has usually broken by then. Since i'm getting the poorer villages, they're always on the border to other kingdoms, and shit always gets real.

I know this is a lot of text and questions, but do I need to physically go to the village and get the money from the treasury? I know that's the money used to build village enhancements, but it's not clear if the rent goes there or if that's another thing.

Help your villages. Defend them. The longer they go without being raided, or without their farmers (the ones that travel the map) getting taken out by bandits/warlords, the richer they get and the more money they make you. Doing quests for them also makes them like you more, which will translate to more/better recruits if you recruit there.

You don't need to go to the village to get your cash. During your weekly budget update, you'll get the income automatically (and earn/lose net money based on your other expenses/income).

By the enterprises in cities, did you mean the businesses, or just trade missions? I played 3 games of M&B before I found out I could open businesses in the cities. They will generally earn more than villages, if you get a good one.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
platypotamus said:
Help your villages. Defend them. The longer they go without being raided, or without their farmers (the ones that travel the map) getting taken out by bandits/warlords, the richer they get and the more money they make you. Doing quests for them also makes them like you more, which will translate to more/better recruits if you recruit there.

You don't need to go to the village to get your cash. During your weekly budget update, you'll get the income automatically (and earn/lose net money based on your other expenses/income).

By the enterprises in cities, did you mean the businesses, or just trade missions? I played 3 games of M&B before I found out I could open businesses in the cities. They will generally earn more than villages, if you get a good one.
I mean the business. I had business in both Nord cities and... my main faction, which name I forget. That's why it took so long for me to align with a faction: I'd lose all the business in the other factions (or so I though). Currently, I have like 5 business on all the main cities of my faction, which gives me around 2000 moneys every week (which is enough to pay for my army plus a little more).

Other than protect my village (I have two and they're somewhat far from eachother), I really don't see any course of action to take, other than do ground battles, level up my charisma so I can get a bigger army so I can raid a castle. I have like 5 Lords prisoner and I can't dump them anywhere because I have no Castle. If I let them loose, they come back and attack my village. It's a pain in the ass, but I love this damn game. :D

Yeah, it's got an odd difficulty curve, lots of spikes. If you get to the point where you decide to become your own faction, rather than sticking with one (or swearing to one of the claimants that has been dispossessed), it gets insanely difficult for a bit then too.

Though, you must be sworn to a king to have villages, if you are involved in the taking of a castle (whether your lead or not), you've got a shot of being granted the castle. Especially if you've got good relationship with the king, and if you do some politicking before it gets assigned.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
platypotamus said:
Yeah, it's got an odd difficulty curve, lots of spikes. If you get to the point where you decide to become your own faction, rather than sticking with one (or swearing to one of the claimants that has been dispossessed), it gets insanely difficult for a bit then too.

Though, you must be sworn to a king to have villages, if you are involved in the taking of a castle (whether your lead or not), you've got a shot of being granted the castle. Especially if you've got good relationship with the king, and if you do some politicking before it gets assigned.
The king kind of hates me, because I'm a woman. I've done a ton of quests and he's ok with me now (he even takes advices on course of actions with me), but the conversations when a Castle is up to debate, it usually goes to whoever sieged it. Also, I can't go on many wars, because while everybody is raiding a castle or a town, i'm fending off the other Lords that attack my village (as I said, it's right on the border).

I usually go to the wars when I'm summoned, and I have shitty requirements - like, I need 8 men on my army. I have 80! I've attacked a couple castles and protected some towns, but still...

I'm not complaining, just double checking if I should be doing something that I'm not - I guess not. Aside from politics, which I hate, it seems i'm pretty much on the proper path.

I wonder what will happen with Mount & Blade 2. Since i'm here, anybody has any mod recommendations that will enhance the overall map graphics a little bit? I'm tired of seeing floating trees.

drizzle said:
I'm not complaining, just double checking if I should be doing something that I'm not - I guess not. Aside from politics, which I hate, it seems i'm pretty much on the proper path.

Some of the politics quests aren't bad: talk to such and such lords and resolve their dispute, duel some asshole, etc. You want to have relations at/close to 100 with some of your lords (preferably even in other kingdoms, so you can potentially recruit them for your current one, or one you found someday). I've found that it's useful to choose a level of chivalry, and befriend those who act similarly. So if you've been mostly defending your town, you've probably been pretty honorable, so befriend honorable guys. This means allowing honorable enemies to leave when you capture them, as painful as that might be.

ALSO: if you ever are lucky enough to capture a castle yourself (doable with an army your size if, for example, it was freshly captured by your enemy and they haven't stocked it with troops), you can then ask for it as a reward. If it's not granted, that's when you can rebel (and then start recruiting those friendly lords, hopefully).

Mephala

Hi guys I'm having some problems I was wondering if you could help me out with. I'm quite new to Warband and after reaching level 8 or so I decided to try Polished Landscapes. I followed instructions and it is working (looks great, occasionally I'm in the roof of certain taverns and things are floating) and I noticed that I can't seem to invest in a business and when I went to do a tax collection in a village I was mobbed by over 200 villagers where as previously I only had to defend myself against about 50. Is this normal for PL?? Did I do something wrong?

I didn't encounter any of those issues, but I did have a lot of trouble with floating walls and castles. The AI also isn't made for having more objects interfering with pathing during battles. You'll be better off without it.

Mephala

I didn't encounter any of those issues, but I did have a lot of trouble with floating walls and castles. The AI also isn't made for having more objects interfering with pathing during battles. You'll be better off without it.

Hmm, yeah seems like its more hassle than its worth. I thought it just added some trees and better textures. Now that I've played it a bit more I've found more floating objects and trees in places it shouldn't be, such as coming out through the middle of a bridge over water in a town.

After a hundred hours or so spent in SP, I decided it was time to try some mods out. Got the cRPG mod up and running, not without some hiccups (the thing won't work when booting from Steam, I had to open up the Warband Script Editor folder and run the exe manually). I can't kill anyone! Everyone around me has kickass armor and shit and I have a fucking club; been ran over horses more times than I can count, and everytime I join the battle I get killed in two seconds flat.

Still, I'm aware there's reward with enough time invested into the mod, so I'll keep playing.

Naeval

I like a lot this game. Is graphically basic, yes, but is impressive what a small group of turkish developers have gotten to perform.

kidko

A friend just turned me on to M&B Warband a few weeks ago and I've already dumped 30 hours into it. I haven't been this hooked on a game in a looong time! I find myself wishing I could play it on the go on my Vita... might have to start carrying a laptop around.

I'm doing a Diplomacy playthrough first and will move to a more overhauling mod next. I started with the Khergit as their recruits level up to calvary quickly but eventually got tired of the Khan and left for Swadia

I solo'd my first castle in our war with Rhodoks and the King awarded it to me, which was a huge level up since you can do so much more with a castle's diplomacy dude and they have a chunky weekly income to boot. I liked being able to hire roaming defense parties around my fiefs as well as hire 50 recruits for my castle at a time and have them train while I'm away. Once I felt confident that the castle was progressing nicely I tried my hand a taking a city.

I convinced another Swadian lord to help me, but I wanted to be the one to "start" the siege, so I beat him there and started it myself. Of course, then he and his troops decide to go home instead and I wind up taking the city alone, but with with significant losses (20+ dead and about 50 wounded). It felt amazing to take the city solo, but now fully-stocked enemy lords are swarming the city and I'm saved right before 3 of them are about to start a siege.

This game is so good!

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Quick question guys;

While keeping the vanilla game intact what mods do you recommend?

I know a big one would be Guild Master / Elders being in the list instead of the one thing you need to wander through town to find...

Anything else that would keep the base game there but streamline things a little bit better?

Sotha Sil

Quick question guys;

While keeping the vanilla game intact what mods do you recommend?

I know a big one would be Guild Master / Elders being in the list instead of the one thing you need to wander through town to find...

Anything else that would keep the base game there but streamline things a little bit better?

The go-to mod would be Diplomacy; sounds like it's exactly what you need.

I need some help on what to do next. After about 4 hours and some failed battles, I've got about 35 men, many of them well experienced. Also got about 5000 bucks. Not many bandits left in the area and they all flee like little babies.

Should I start currying favor with a lord/king? I don't think I can siege anything just yet.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I was hoping maybe someone else here loves this game as much as I do and perhaps plays the crpg mod and can help out. I showed my girlfriend crpg and explained to her that it's a game that I love and that I'd love to play with her. She seems excited and is onboard to play with me but there's a problem, she's a mac person. Is there any way to get crpg to play on a mac? Help would be greatly appreciated, I think it'd be awesome for us to have this to play together.

Finalow

The vanilla game is great for beginners. Once you had your fill of that you could try the cRPG game with persistent world multiplayer or the mod that's inspired by Game of Thrones.
if with beginners you mean being bad at combat then I'm right there, I'm still missing every single hit when I try to hit any enemy while riding the horse at full speed.
anyway thanks, I'm going to try those out.

So any gaffers still play this?

Been playing the demo over and over while I wait for a steam sale(Won a cd key in a facebook contest over a year ago lost it) I played a bit on my old pc but it ran at like 15 fps. Got a new pc and love how well the demo runs. Have been looking into advance techniques and I'm blown away by the skill some of these guys have. Chamber blocking: Where they actually hit your weapon away with their own attack allowing them to counter instantly.

mb_warband_2012-08-12_23-06-59-73.gif

mb_warband_2012-08-12_23-18-39-37.gif

mb_warband_2012-08-12_23-37-39-97.gif

mb_warband_2012-08-12_23-41-43-77-2.gif

mb_warband_2012-08-12_23-41-43-773.gif

bengraven

Saw this was bumped and hoped for M&B2 news.

Great gifs, though! I'm fairly good at combat, but not nearly that good. Actually, tactics is where I really need help. Any videos like that? I think I've only ordered my men back/forward twice the entire time I've played the series.

hi.
i have some 150 hours in mnb.

ive recently started it back up. im no pro, but i can answer a lot.
get at me with your questions, and jesus will serve you the answers you require.

also, at no point in time should u ever be playing un-modded mount and blade.
unmodded m&b is like a warm coke.
even the manufacturer doesnt recommend it.

Did the Westeros or Romance of the Three Kingdoms mods ever get worth checking out? Or did the new Pendor sequel mod come out?

Or is there some other new mod hotness? I am always easy to persuade to play another single player runthrough, but I did one pretty recently, so maybe I need to wait some more...

clash of kings is in 1.0 version now. and is based off Floris mod. Definitely worth playing. The only problems i see in it: it's too big. The map is monstrous, and there are hundreds of Lords - most of the villages are almost always raided or looted. This mod may slow down on older machines. if you like asoif, you should check it out. ASOIF + scripted events (the war and relations of Westeros follows the book events, i'm not sure if the Free Cities follow scripted events or not).

the base mod to play is Floris mod. it is a compilation of many mods. if you are playing vanilla M&B you are doing it wrong. vanilla MnB is to Floris as checkers is to chess.

Another amazing mod is ad1257. It is quite possibly the best redesign of the game (so many things are different/rebalanced, its not worth going into), but it suffers from some bugs which may make people stop playing. Too bad, it really is the best MnB gamelpay remake.

Mods like Brytenwalda are good, too.

If you have already played this, you can always try to start a new game as Freelancer. All 3 mods ive listed include the Freelancer mod, which allows you to suspent your Warband (companions/wages/troops) as you enlist as a single unit in a lords army. You follow them, fight int heir battles, get experience, pick up loot (weapons and horses can be picked up from battles, armor cant), get promoted, get wages, and spoils, and level up. In that way you can go from a footman to a knight, and then retire (get xp + severence bonus), or desert (leave, w/o bonus, but keep all your armor), or even try to mutiny the army! after you get this start, with some cash and some levels and some gear, you can go off to start or resume your own warband.

ad1257 also has this, but the starting game fromt hat is completely different than other games so it may not be as enticing (in ad1257 you can do the new Lance recruitment system, completely turns the game on its head, and adds awesomeness).

So it seems like maybe this wasn't ready to come out yet. I started a new character and I spawned on an island with no one or no settlements and no way to get off?

heringer

I'm about to get back to M&B after a few years. As I understand, there's some great mods out there. Which are the best? The Game of Thrones one? Should I just play vanilla?

Also, does any mod ha a more linear story or are all of them loose like vanilla?

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I'm about to get back to M&B after a few years. As I understand, there's some great mods out there. Which are the best? The Game of Thrones one? Should I just play vanilla?

Also, does any mod ha a more linear story or are all of them loose like vanilla?

I still play crpg which is a multiplayer only mod with a persistant character that you level through playing. As one would expect with a game this old, multiplayer isn't as active as it once was sadly.

Respect

Searched, not finding anything, hoping for luck here...I am getting huge morale loss for troops that aren't even in my army...why? One of the named NPCs possibly, but they all have "excellent" morale.

Tagyhag

Wow, first time I've seen 2011 posts in the same page of a thread.

Searched, not finding anything, hoping for luck here...I am getting huge morale loss for troops that aren't even in my army...why? One of the named NPCs possibly, but they all have "excellent" morale.

What do you mean not in your army? What do the morale modifiers say?

Respect

What do you mean not in your army? What do the morale modifiers say?

Nevermind, I was misreading, it is just information stating -77 for Vaegris troops at this time, I thought it was applying that modifier to my army as a whole as if I had them in my army.

Top Bottom