• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nest Thermostat E: plastic, lower res, and $80 cheaper

Sness

Banned
I've been reluctant to get a Nest Thermostat because I'd need to fix the wall where the previous larger, rectangular thermostat is. Installer punched a whole about the size a Nest to pull the tiny thermostat wire through lmao.

Might have to check this out though.

Quotient

I've been reluctant to get a Nest Thermostat because I'd need to fix the wall where the previous larger, rectangular thermostat is. Installer punched a whole about the size a Nest to pull the tiny thermostat wire through lmao.

The nest come with a large plate for these scenarios.

dkeane

They come with a plastic cover to hide that stuff. It doesn't look as good but it's a solution if you need it.

Luschient

Just recently installed a Nest in our house, really hoping the Airwave feature is what helps save some $$$. Can anyone who owns one let me know your thoughts on Airwave and if it works as advertised?

FairyD

The nest looks nice, but I decided to get the ecobee3. I installed it a couple weeks ago. Working great! I love the portal that I can log into.

Just recently installed a Nest in our house, really hoping the Airwave feature is what helps save some $$$. Can anyone who owns one let me know your thoughts on Airwave and if it works as advertised?

Unless you live in an extremely dry climate, Airwave isn't going to save you anything you'd ever notice.

I live in Florida, and the thermostat probably runs in Airwave mode less than an hour a year. So that is saving me less than $0.20 over that extended period of time.

GulAtiCa

Eesssh.. Don't like the look of it.

Otherwise, Nest is awesome. I have the metal/glass/etc? one installed in my house. I got mine through GA Pacific so I got mine for likely the same price of this one, if not cheaper.

Aww man, shouldnt complain about a free thing but the government here is offering free Nest Thermostats, this is probably what we will get instead of the old one.

Futureman

I don't have AC so these connected thermostats don't really make sense for me.

I might consider trying to find a cheap used one just to improve aesthetics in my house though.

gcubed

This is the thing. There are a lot more competitors at a wide variety of pricing that are internet connected now.

Nest isn't the only player in the game.

Ecobee is really the only competitor worth a damn (and can be argued is superior) if you want things like mostly reliable away modes, learning, etc.

The rest are at best contractor grade things you can dump in a rental/Airbnb to control temperature when empty

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Ecobee is really the only competitor worth a damn (and can be argued is superior) if you want things like mostly reliable away modes, learning, etc.

The rest are at best contractor grade things you can dump in a rental/Airbnb to control temperature when empty

I found mine alot more useful than that.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
It looks like the Ecobee 3 Lite is the same price as the Nest E. The Sweet Home recommended the Nest over the Ecobee. (4 not evaluated yet)

My wife and I move into a new home soon and we are looking at potentially getting the Nest E. I don't want to spend the $170 if the payback won't occur within 3-5 years.

Can anyone who has switched from a programmable thermostat that lives in a variable climate area (ie experiences winter conditions) to a smart thermostat tell me if they actually saw savings?

giga

It looks like the Ecobee 3 Lite is the same price as the Nest E. The Sweet Home recommended the Nest over the Ecobee. (4 not evaluated yet)

My wife and I move into a new home soon and we are looking at potentially getting the Nest E. I don't want to spend the $170 if the payback won't occur within 3-5 years.

Can anyone who has switched from a programmable thermostat that lives in a variable climate area (ie experiences winter conditions) to a smart thermostat tell me if they actually saw savings?
Did you check if your power company offers incentives or rebates?

jtb

Banned
Just moved into a new complex that has these installed into all their units. I like them a lot so far.

dcll

Banned
I went with a Honeywell over the Nest 3rd gen due to the large screen that shows a bunch of information and it was dirt cheap as well, I bought it off craigslist.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I love my nest. I got it for free though, but the metal and the display are my favorite parts. My house is too small for me to need more, but it's a lovely device. I actually appreciate the proximity sensor thing too. But I have it set up wrong and keep forgetting to adjust it.

Jag

Installed 2 Ecobee 3s and I love them. Sleek looking and works great. Didn't bother with the 4 since the Alexa integration would mess up the Echos already in the room.

ElNino

Looks like ass.

However, I have ecobee3. I love it's user-friendliness but the thermostat themselves are unreliable. Sometimes on a cold night it will show 74 and sometimes on hot and humid night it will show 74 as well. I can physically feel the difference . I tried to move the second thermostat around my room, and still the same reading, maybe up or down by 1. Ready to give up, and might try Nest in the future.
That's strange. I've been using the ecobee3 (and 7 remote sensors) for a couple of years now and it has been terrific. I've never had any issues with the thermostat showing the wrong temp.

giga

Verge loved the E: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/22/16332938/nest-thermostat-e-better-than-original

I don't agree that Farsight is inconsequential — it's very useful to me — but I can see how it can be if you just want a cheap, but quality smart thermostat.

And after seeing some more real world shots, I can see now why they used a lower res display. You're not seeing edge details at all with it being frosted, which is fine for that sort of look.

nest-e-6.jpg

nest-e-3.jpg

As for the ecobee4, they weren't so hot on the Alexa integration: https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/25/16349860/ecobee4-thermostat-alexa-smarthome-review

No ESP:

It also doesn't support the Echo Spatial Perception (ESP) feature that prevents multiple devices from responding at the same time when you utter a voice command, and this is what I missed the most. In my home, the thermostat is installed on an upstairs landing that faces the open living room below. It's a good place for it to be if I want to yell a command from downstairs and have the thing hear me. But I also have an Echo in the kitchen adjoining the living room, and the Ecobee would frequently pick up commands that were intended for the Echo. That resulted in two devices attempting to respond at the same time with answers or both trying to play music at the same time. In a word, it was chaos. Sometimes the results were humorous, but most of the time it was annoying, and I ended up disabling the always-listening feature on the Ecobee, effectively neutering the Alexa inside of it. (Turning off the always-listening feature also turns on a bright red light at the top of the Ecobee, which is ugly and annoying.)

Cumbersome physical controls (or lack thereof):

The Ecobee4 has a touchscreen on the front of it if you don't want to use voice control. It's fine for adjusting some basic settings and viewing the current weather report, but making quick adjustments to the set temperature requires an awkward tap, hold, and slide motion that's neither elegant or intuitive. Rotating the dial on a Nest is a much easier and more obvious process. The mobile app for iOS and Android mimics the interface on the thermostat itself, but it lets you dive deeper into the history and reports on your system's energy usage. Most of the time, I just relied on the schedule I set up in the app and automatic presence detection and didn't bother adjusting the thermostat manually.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I've got way too many problems with the aesthetics of my home to worry about the resolution on the screen of my flipping thermostat. I'm still rocking the dial that's probably been on the wall since the house was built in the 80s.

I need to get one of these. Is the installation pretty much comparable to any regular thermostat or do I need to worry about missing wires or anything like that?

ElNino

I've got way too many problems with the aesthetics of my home to worry about the resolution on the screen of my flipping thermostat. I'm still rocking the dial that's probably been on the wall since the house was built in the 80s.

I need to get one of these. Is the installation pretty much comparable to any regular thermostat or do I need to worry about missing wires or anything like that?
It depends on whether your current installation has a common "C" wire going to the thermostat already. I'd suggest taking off your current thermostat to check what wires it has before you buy anything.

My house didn't have the C wire at the thermostat when I was shopping for a "smart" thermostat, so I went with the ecobee3 since they have the kit included that you install at the furnace to provide the C wire with the existing wires. I've now added the C wire to my installation while we were doing a kitchen renovation last year, so I removed the kit from my furnace, but I'm still happy with the ecobee3.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
It depends on whether your current installation has a common "C" wire going to the thermostat already. I'd suggest taking off your current thermostat to check what wires it has before you buy anything.

My house didn't have the C wire at the thermostat when I was shopping for a "smart" thermostat, so I went with the ecobee3 since they have the kit included that you install at the furnace to provide the C wire with the existing wires. I've now added the C wire to my installation while we were doing a kitchen renovation last year, so I removed the kit from my furnace, but I'm still happy with the ecobee3.

Awesome, thank you!

TheExodu5

Banned

Even without a C wire the Nest will usually still work by leeching some power from R.

Also if you have any issues, their support is absolutely stellar.

My wiring was an absolute mess so I just bought some new thermostat wiring, fished it through by taping it to the old wires, and rewired everything. Probably not recommended if you're not comfortable with electronics, but if you have a simple single transformer furnace, it's really easy to do.

ElNino

Even without a C wire the Nest will usually still work by leeching some power from R.

Also if you have any issues, their support is absolutely stellar.
I had read of issues using that method back then, and ecobee having the PEK kit to ensure it would work sounded like the safer option. As for support, the ecobee people were great to work with as well when my contractors broke the mounting bracket for my ecobee3 while they were moving it. They shipped out a new mounting bracket the next day so I wasn't without it for long. Thankfully I still had my old "dumb" thermostat around so I just installed that until the reno was done to avoid any other problems.

My wiring was an absolute mess so I just bought some new thermostat wiring, fished it through by taping it to the old wires, and rewired everything. Probably not recommended if you're not comfortable with electronics, but if you have a simple single transformer furnace, it's really easy to do.
Yeah, I would recommend updating your wiring if you can anyways, regardless of which model you select. It was easy to run my new wiring from the furnace as my basement is unfinished, but there were some difficulties getting it to the spot where the thermostat was installed as it took some indirect turns through wall studs on the way. I did eventually get it done myself without getting my contractor involved.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Looks like ass.

However, I have ecobee3. I love it's user-friendliness but the thermostat themselves are unreliable. Sometimes on a cold night it will show 74 and sometimes on hot and humid night it will show 74 as well. I can physically feel the difference . I tried to move the second thermostat around my room, and still the same reading, maybe up or down by 1. Ready to give up, and might try Nest in the future.

I've had mine (Ecobee 3) for about 15 months now and thus far have had zero issues.

prophetvx

It's worth noting that Nest has pretty limited capability to begin with when driving accessories. Ecobee is much, much better.

Nest is almost completely useless when driving HRV, humidifier or IAQ systems, so if you're planning on using in a house built recently, there are much better options such as Honeywell Prestige or Ecobee (which is still limited).

Nests are nicely packaged low-end thermostats at a high price point.

Top Bottom