• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nest Thermostat E: plastic, lower res, and $80 cheaper

giga

jkastrenakes_08242017_1960_0019.0.jpg

jkastrenakes_08242017_1960_0022.jpg
To make the Nest Thermostat E more forgettable, Nest has hidden its display behind a frosted glass that blocks some light from coming through. Rather than a detailed interface, you'll see big, bubbly numbers and notches shine through when you spin the thermostat's ring around to set the temperature.

The simplified interface is really nice, although the display itself looks a bit fuzzy. I know it's ridiculous to complain about the sharpness of a thermostat's display (you're going to stare at it for seconds of your life, at most), but between using a low-res 320 x 320 panel and then putting a piece of polarized glass on top to intentionally blur it, what you get is a softness that looks mostly stylized, and just a little bit bad. But again, it's not like you're going to spend a lot of time looking at it.

The new model begins shipping tomorrow and sells for $169, while the traditional Nest Thermostat will remain on sale for $249 as a separate product line. In a briefing last week, a Nest representative said the company hopes to sell two to three times as many thermostats over the next four years, and much of that hope seems to rely on the cheaper Thermostat E — which means it's going to have to make boring thermostats seem a lot more interesting.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre.../nest-thermostat-e-announced-cheaper-redesign

Not a fan, personally.

Comparison: https://nest.com/thermostats/compare/

MrGerbils

If it was just $80 maybe they'd be on to something. As it is, that's still too much for something that looks that crappy.

randome

That's actually a great idea. These go on sale regularly so I'm sure it will be considerably cheaper than msrp and utility companies often offer rebates (got $100 back for mine).

gcubed

Looks better to me actually.
More subtle.

Yea,I agree it blends in more rather than standing out. The feel of the nest is great, I'd be curious to see how the ring feels in plastic and if the motion is still nicely... Weighted.

It has all the features besides the screen, maybe get it under 150 and it would be great

giga

Yea,I agree it blends in more rather than standing out. The feel of the nest is great, I'd be curious to see how the ring feels in plastic and if the motion is still nicely... Weighted.

It has all the features besides the screen, maybe get it under 150 and it would be great
No farsight.

If Nest could support my setup with their software I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Sadly the unit only works with the connected device. We have forced air heat and then wifi connected portable ac units. There is no software out there right now that allows me to easily control both with one interface easy interface. I think this is where Nest could really do something useful.

The new unit looks nice and I'd like to buy one.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
People bitching about the look of their thermostat. Now I've seen it all.

The appeal of Nest is that it wasn't a hideous looking Soviet era box. If you take away its UI and aesthetics, what you have left is an extremely expensive thing that does the same thing as the thing you already have.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The appeal of Nest is that it wasn't a hideous looking Soviet era box. If you take away its UI and aesthetics, what you have left is an extremely expensive thing that does the same thing as the thing you already have.

I couldn't control my old thermostat with my phone.

Looks like ass.

However, I have ecobee3. I love it's user-friendliness but the thermostat themselves are unreliable. Sometimes on a cold night it will show 74 and sometimes on hot and humid night it will show 74 as well. I can physically feel the difference . I tried to move the second thermostat around my room, and still the same reading, maybe up or down by 1. Ready to give up, and might try Nest in the future.

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. When I moved, my Nest wasn't hooked up for a couple of weeks and functionality it was irritating to go back to a normal one because of how it functioned. The auto away alone is a difference maker compared to a regular one.

giga

Hmmm true, would miss that. Does it still have a near sensor or you need to touch it for the screen to come on?

Think so. On the landing page it says "And it all disappears when you walk away" which implies there's a proximity sensor.

it looks better than the original, sorry guys

I could probably get used to the plastic design. But the fuzzy display is weird to me. I already think the ppi on these smart thermostats is too low. For this not only downgrade that resolution but to put a fuzzy film over it too would make me crazy when adjusting it or looking at it from up close.

But regardless, I'm a happy Nest 3 user and if this lower price point attracts more people to smart thermostats, then great.

enewtabie

Gotta buy two Nest this month for my new house and this looks terrible. Rather just buy the reg version with a white trim piece.

teiresias

I'm not upgrading my thermostat until it's 4k and supports Gsync. I can't stand the screen tearing in the current Nest. [/s]

Honestly, this would go better with my decor, but I still have yet to convince myself a learning thermostat is worth a damn. I'm a "set one temp when the seasons change and leave it there for months" kind of guy. I have a Honeywell WiFi thermostat that supports schedules I don't use, but the Wifi was handy when I was living away from home for months for work and could keep tabs on whether the HVAC was actually still working and adjust it if a friend or a family member was going to use the house.

can someone just explain how these things "work"?

Like how does it actually save on energy costs? Just cause i can turn it off from like my phone? or is there more to it than that (im sure there is)

mhayes86

Eh, no thanks. I'm moving into a house today and plan on getting a Nest (unless the sellers happened to leave theirs installed). I don't care about the plastic, but I'll happily pay an extra $80 for the crisp display.

can someone just explain how these things "work"?

Like how does it actually save on energy costs? Just cause i can turn it off from like my phone? or is there more to it than that (im sure there is)

It's self-programming. Nest's big original claim is that while pretty much all new thermostats are programmable, only a very small percentage of users would ever actually program their Honeywell-type programmable thermostats.

The thermostats can also be configured to know when you are away, so that they automatically shut off HVAC when the home is empty.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
right but you can control the vastly cheaper competitors (including vastly cheaper than this) with your phone

This is the thing. There are a lot more competitors at a wide variety of pricing that are internet connected now.

Nest isn't the only player in the game.

Quotient

Utility companies usually give rebates for these smart thermostats, it wouldn't surprise me that you would be able to get this new model for less than $100. I got two gen 3 nest thermostats for $110 each earlier this year.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I had a first generation Nest at my old house. I liked it because of the Google integration and the app. At $169, it seems like they are addressing the biggest hurdle in the past which was cost of entry. Good on them.

For the record, the Nest did lower my utility bills almost instantly. I was skeptical, but it did. Maybe some other brand of thermostat would have done the same as well, but my experience was with the Nest. I did like the Home integration as well.

Top Bottom