• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

PS3 version does not have Move support. Which is a shame. I fully defend gamepad as the best way to play (especially for your first playthrough), but there's nothing wrong with Wiimote (or Move, or now Mouse) for a different experience.

But... the game is balanced for analog stick, please understand.

Yeah, as ever, replay it however you want, but if this is your first time through use a pad. The weapons when you first get them are supposed to shake, and that's why you can upgrade their stability.

Or to put it another way, the rifle should be more accurate than the pistol.

Hypron

Yeah, as ever, replay it however you want, but if this is your first time through use a pad. The weapons when you first get them are supposed to shake, and that's why you can upgrade their stability.

Or to put it another way, the rifle should be more accurate than the pistol.

The weapons still shake in RE5 with kb/m though.

Well you said the weapons were supposed to shake, as if that wasn't the case when you're not using a gamepad.

Well it isn't the case when you're not using the gamepad. You're beginning to make me think I'M missing something.

We aren't talking about RE5.

Do you have a mouse with a trackball (particularly one that is a bit dusty and locks up)? If not, I doubt it lol. At least, not after a couple hours anyway.

I primarily play PC, but I've played RE4 SO MANY TIMES I actually have better headshot accuracy on a GC pad in that game than I do with a mouse.
And RE4 doesn't have auto aim, just nice, loving linear scaling. Mmmm tasty.

I can actually kinda half do flick shots in RE4. Can't snipe for shit with a mouse though!

Hypron

Well it isn't the case when you're not using the gamepad. You're beginning to make me think I'M missing something.

We aren't talking about RE5.

Have they actually shown that its not the case when you're using kb/m? I haven't played the game on pc so unless there is some concrete info out there I'll assume they'll handle it like in RE5 since that game has mechanics that are almost identical.

What weapons do you guys usually use? I want to try a run on professional with just the basic handgun and the free shotgun and maybe a few grenades. I really suck with the harder to use weapons like the mine thrower and the TMP just eats up my ammo.

The striker having 100 rounds makes it appealing to me and the semi auto sniper rifle may lack the power of its fully auto counterpart but the bolt action rifle leaves you a sitting duck with slow fire speed and reload time and you basically are defenseless for a while.

My Loadout first playthrough: Red9, Broken Butterfly, Striker, Semi Auto Rifle, a few grenades, herbs and a Jill Sandwich,

I might try using the TMP and the mine thrower on a professional run if I really want a challenge. The Chicago typewriter just makes it too easy!

Have they actually shown that its not the case when you're using kb/m? I haven't played the game on pc so unless there is some concrete info out there I'll assume they'll handle it like in RE5 since that game has mechanics that are almost identical.

Well they aren't giving us an on screen cursor, so we know it's different, and the 60 fps 30 fps comparison posted a little ways back shows some ninja bird shooting (although given the starting uniform it could well be with a very pimped out gun).

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I'm going to have to bow down to the king again. I was day one on the GC version, never finished it. Back to do it.

What weapons do you guys usually use? I want to try a run on professional with just the basic handgun and the free shotgun and maybe a few grenades. I really suck with the harder to use weapons like the mine thrower and the TMP just eats up my ammo.

The striker having 100 rounds makes it appealing to me and the semi auto sniper rifle may lack the power of its fully auto counterpart but the bolt action rifle leaves you a sitting duck with slow fire speed and reload time and you basically are defenseless for a while.

My Loadout first playthrough: Red9, Broken Butterfly, Striker, Semi Auto Rifle, a few grenades, herbs and a Jill Sandwich,

I might try using the TMP and the mine thrower on a professional run if I really want a challenge. The Chicago typewriter just makes it too easy!

Actually, with the exception of the Rifle's Exclusive (which is overkill), the Semi-auto has better firepower. The only reason to stick with the bolt action is satisfaction and challenge.
Red9 is, short of being a miracle headshot cannon, the most effective pistol ammo wise. It may be slow but damn it hurts. Punisher is best against wooden shields, and blacktail is for people who can't aim well.

TMP is the best weapon in the game, because melee is the best weapon in the game. Using a teeny tiny fraction of your ammo you can kill anything. One enemy? One bullet. Knee shot -> Suplex -> Knife.

Be a man; put the shotgun down. You don't need it and you can sell the shells it gives you anyway.

Don't use any of the non-standard weapons. I mean shit like the Matilda (though the RE2 is strong in that one), PRL, Handcannon, etc. Takes the fun out of it.

Well they aren't giving us an on screen cursor, so we know it's different, and the 60 fps 30 fps comparison posted a little ways back shows some ninja bird shooting (although given the starting uniform it could well be with a very pimped out gun).

I can snipe with a pistol, it isn't too impressive. I'd expect that with a mouse it'd be easy regardless of the shake.

I can snipe with a pistol, it isn't too impressive. I'd expect that with a mouse it'd be easy regardless of the shake.
You may be able to shoot those three same birds, but you wouldn't be moving between targets as quickly or accurately or drawing perfect circles as rapidly.

If that video is indicative of how responsive the mouse aiming is, then I'd say pad remains the way to go for first timers, even if some shake remains when mouse aiming. For anyone who insist on playing with M+K or who has played it before and wants to give it a go, it's a good thing that the controls look as responsive as they do in that video.

Definitely more responsive than they've ever looked before, in part thanks to 60 fps.

Buying for the 15th time.
This is my seventh time, so I think it's quite plausible that you're being serious. I know CVX freak has already bought it more than 15 times to cover different versions from different regions, etc.

I'd say go with whatever you prefer for your first time as the game isn't exactly challenging in either configuration.

It isn't just about challenge though, it's about making a bunch of the upgrades and the stocks completely irrelevant, and again, if it still makes the rifles less accurate than the pistols, it's not going to be the best way to experience the game first time.

Actually, with the exception of the Rifle's Exclusive (which is overkill), the Semi-auto has better firepower. The only reason to stick with the bolt action is satisfaction and challenge.
Red9 is, short of being a miracle headshot cannon, the most effective pistol ammo wise. It may be slow but damn it hurts. Punisher is best against wooden shields, and blacktail is for people who can't aim well.

TMP is the best weapon in the game, because melee is the best weapon in the game. Using a teeny tiny fraction of your ammo you can kill anything. One enemy? One bullet. Knee shot -> Suplex -> Knife.

Be a man; put the shotgun down. You don't need it and you can sell the shells it gives you anyway.

Don't use any of the non-standard weapons. I mean shit like the Matilda (though the RE2 is strong in that one), PRL, Handcannon, etc. Takes the fun out of it.

Oh wow thanks I didn't even know the TMP could do that I think I read that somewhere before a long time ago but I forgot but yeah that's so cool so I just use one bullet to the knee then melee and knife and I don't waste all that ammo? And yeah I guess I should stick with the semi auto rifle.

Is there a recommendation you have for each weapon type, like pistol, rifle, shotgun, magnum, special etc? So far I think I'll use the tmp and semi auto.

Sorry I wasn't much of a man haha but I'll try and see if I can do a run with the TMP on professional with that technique I just don't know how I'll take on Dr. Salvador but yeah thanks for the advice man!

So excited for this game!

Ra1den

A huge part of the fun of RE4 was indeed the quirks and balance of the weapons, and anything which throws that balance off should be avoided by a first-timer, I think. That is, if there are any first timers at this point.

It isn't just about challenge though, it's about making a bunch of the upgrades and the stocks completely irrelevant, and again, if it still makes the rifles less accurate than the pistols, it's not going to be the best way to experience the game first time.
I kind of find the stocks pointless anyway, outside of the shooting range mini-game I don't think it makes a significant difference either way. Aiming is just quicker on mice, naturally, but I don't consider RE4 some special case where gamepadding it is necessary for the experience.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
A huge part of the fun of RE4 was indeed the quirks and balance of the weapons, and anything which throws that balance off should be avoided by a first-timer, I think. That is, if there are any first timers at this point.

I agree with this sentiment.

Grief.exe

I haven't played since the PS2 release, so I'm almost like a first timer.

Honestly, its surprising how much the original experience sticks out in my mind.

You may be able to shoot those three same birds, but you wouldn't be moving between targets as quickly or accurately or drawing perfect circles as rapidly.

If that video is indicative of how responsive the mouse aiming is, then I'd say pad remains the way to go for first timers, even if some shake remains when mouse aiming. For anyone who insist on playing with M+K or who has played it before and wants to give it a go, it's a good thing that the controls look as responsive as they do in that video.

Definitely more responsive than they've ever looked before, in part thanks to 60 fps.

This is my seventh time, so I think it's quite plausible that you're being serious. I know CVX freak has already bought it more than 15 times to cover different versions from different regions, etc.

Hahah I was being a bit exaggerative (not a word but who cares).

I think i'm on time 4 or 5 between gifts and multiple copies for myself.

I was merely debuffing the no shake theory. Like I said, I expect a mouse to perform such with ease; I was merely stating that the minor shakes Leon has in his aim would not be enough to throw it off, thus not disproving their presence.

Oh wow thanks I didn't even know the TMP could do that I think I read that somewhere before a long time ago but I forgot but yeah that's so cool so I just use one bullet to the knee then melee and knife and I don't waste all that ammo? And yeah I guess I should stick with the semi auto rifle.

Is there a recommendation you have for each weapon type, like pistol, rifle, shotgun, magnum, special etc? So far I think I'll use the tmp and semi auto.

Sorry I wasn't much of a man haha but I'll try and see if I can do a run with the TMP on professional with that technique I just don't know how I'll take on Dr. Salvador but yeah thanks for the advice man!

So excited for this game!

My personal run through is the standard Rifle, TMP, and Red9 (both with stocks). The Semi Auto sniper is a bit bigger, but in box it's a tad less awkward, at least, and is unarguably the better combat weapon. The Mine Thrower has gotten me out of quite a few sticky situations, but you have to know how to game the drop system for it to be viable. If you're interested, and have good reload discipline, I can explain it to you.
I don't take a shotgun, in part because it makes it too easy IMO, but really there's no wrong choice here, save the Riot Gun (IMO). The starting Shotgun has the best exclusive, in that it never drops firepower over range, and the Striker's is good if you find yourself with a full inventory, since now 90% of your rounds will be stored in-weapon.
Flash bangs are by far the best grenades. Why? Because they are dirt cheap and can be found essentially anywhere that there are birds, oh and did I mention they instantly kill any Las Plagas that are exposed? Other grenades I usually sell unless there is an El Gigante coming up. I'll use them on the spot but if I come up to a merchant I usually end up selling Icendiary/Hand grenades.

I made this template years ago for a certain website but I thought it would be appropriate here. What was your favourite loadout in a RE4 playthrough?

7MUIiry.png

Circle or mark your preferred weapon types and whatnots and hand this back to me by the end of the class.

Finally someone else gets it. The TMP is such a versatile weapon for the reasons you mentioned, insane DPS that just tears through bosses, or crowd control if you need it. You can also carry way more ammo for it in the same amount of space you would for any other gun. That said, I still love using the other guns so my loadout is usually:

Red9
TMP
Striker, but I'll use the free Shotgun until it's available
Semi-Auto Rifle
Broken Butterfly

The attache case can get pretty crowded, but I don't think I could give up any of these weapons, they're all great for different situations.

What is mercenaries mode like in RE4?

Awesome. Yeah, it's not co op like in later ones, but each character actually has vastly different physical traits, as opposed to just being different guns. Ada runs like a cheeta but has low health, Hunk has only a TMP, but has a one-hit kill melee (That works on chainsaw enemies! But not super salvador...), Krauser has his death arm that charges up uses over time (for all intents and purposes it kills essentially any on screen enemy within 15 feet), and Leon is the most balanced. Oh and Wesker has the most damage inducing melees.

Really Leon's just there for the weapons though. :/

re4 mercs makes me miss these character differences that extended past the loadout.

The_Monk

Nice title and very well organized OT with all the good info in the F.A.Q, well done Grief!

If I didn't have to budget really hard since the start of the year, I would get this without thinking, but I'm afraid I have to skip this and wait for a lower price unfortunately. I finished the "HD" console downloadable version last year but there's such a big sense of nostalgia in this game for me that I would be all over it in no time.

I hope you all have fun, I'll lurk this thread every now and then to check some good GAFfers's impressions for the game, 60FPS will be simply amazing, enjoy it you lucky people!

Meanwhile I'm listening the the Save game theme because it makes me feel relaxed and...safe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSGPoLCY0xU

GMG seems to be sending their keys out now. I got two keys, one for the game and the other for the pre-order bonus stuff. I cannot wait to reload that rifle in 60FPS.

Kadin

Yup, got woken up with my GMG email. As soon as my phone went off, I knew what it was. Decided I had to fire up the download because... MUST.PRELOAD.NOW.

Lusankya

Q: I heard rumors of the German version being censored. Is this true?
A: No. RE4 fans in Germany can enjoy RE4 in its full, uncensored g(l)ory. However, Assignment Ada and Mercenaries unfortunately is not included in the German version. Separate Ways, Movie Viewer, and Ada's Report ARE included and unlockable.

So Capcom still didn't bother to let the USK rate these mini games? Wow...

NIN90

Anyone from the US wanna help me with gifting the game? Don't wanna get the censored German version.
I'll paypal in advance.

Top Bottom