• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam In-Home Streaming and Steam Link thread

I don't have a lot of hope for how this will perform on my lackluster home network, but I pre-ordered one anyway because I had a bunch of money in my Steam Wallet. We'll see.

I stream with a 802.11ac setup with my laptops etc. Streaming is nearly perfect on those. I hope to get a link very soon. Sounds like people's networks will be the biggest issue here.

VillageBC

Is there a sort of 'default' control scheme when you are dropped to the desktop? Bioshock Infinite when I exit it drops to the desktop and shows an option (unreadable) to choose between. I can select one or the other option but I've yet to figure out what button/click/movement results in a mouse click.

SaiyanRaoh

I'm no network guy so I'll explain as best as I can. There are two routers in the house. One is a downstairs 2.4 GHz AT&T Uverse router that connects the house to the internet. The laptop is also down there. The other one is a 5 GHz Linksys E2500 that's upstairs. Upstairs has the main rig and Linksys router. This PC doesn't have onboard wifi so a Netgear USB wifi stick is used to connect to the internet.
Is there a way to use the 5 GHz Linksys with In Home streaming and NOT the Uverse router (way too slow.) while retaining the internet connection with the Netgear stick? The main rig is the host and the laptop is the client. The only ethernet connection allowed at his time is the one connecting the main rig to Linksys.

VillageBC

I'm no network guy so I'll explain as best as I can. There are two routers in the house. One is a downstairs 2.4 GHz AT&T Uverse router that connects the house to the internet. The laptop is also down there. The other one is a 5 GHz Linksys E2500 that's upstairs. Upstairs has the main rig and Linksys router. This PC doesn't have onboard wifi so a Netgear USB wifi stick is used to connect to the internet.
Is there a way to use the 5 GHz Linksys with In Home streaming and NOT the Uverse router (way too slow.) while retaining the internet connection with the Netgear stick? The main rig is the host and the laptop is the client. The only ethernet connection allowed at his time is the one connecting the main rig to Linksys.

Yes, in theory if I'm reading this correctly. Not sure the purpose of the 5ghz router, if you are bridging it then this probably won't work.

Connect PC via Wire to 5ghz Linksys, leave the wireless connection as is to the UVerse. Assuming that is the case. Connect the laptop the 5ghz Linksys, it won't have internet but you should be able to stream from the main rig.

baconcow

Latency is good. Currently all points wired directly to my router. Controller works as expected. However, Steam Link is a mixed bag with early testing. Tried both balanced and beautiful options with hardware encoding on. Intel i7 3930k, nVidia 690, 16GB RAM, SSD.

Dragon Age 1
- PC side running well. Stream has considerable slowdown, sometimes as low as 15fps in the initial cutscenes with answer selection, while running ~60fps in my PC end. Stream froze at in first area. Kept running fine on the PC end.

Dark Souls 1
- Black screen flickering during start up on PC end, white screen on Steam Link end. Alt-tab on PC fixed this. In game streaming framerate noticeably lower than on PC. No dsfix installed during tes

Civilization V
- Ran well, with some slowdowns to ~45fps in stream while PC end stayed at 60fps. Startup DirectX selection screen is odd looking and had the incorrect colours and resolution.

Europa Universalis IV
- Ran 45 to 60fps in stream, while running 100+fps on PC (using FRAPS for measurement). Stream froze after some time while PC end continued fine.

While some success, the concept is there, partially working. Games start up buggy and can be difficult to perform initial configuration as you do not always get to use the Steam Controller or other controller. Other than the crashes and freezing, which I hope will be fixed with patches, a main issue that is bothersome is not being able to maintain a 60fps stream with a wired connection, good router (Asus 68U), and with the PC end playing at 60fps or above. Must test wireless connection. While wired, the latency is usually low.

Chaser324

Banned
Are any of you having success with Bluetooth controllers, keyboards, and/or mice? I've only been able to try a Dualshock 4, but there are some people with controller woes on the official forums using other Bluetooth controllers as well. Aside from one Reddit user, I don't think I've seen anyone else claim to have this working.

deadfolk

Are any of you having success with Bluetooth controllers, keyboards, and/or mice? I've only been able to try a Dualshock 4, but there are some people with controller woes on the official forums using other Bluetooth controllers as well. Aside from one Reddit user, I don't think I've seen anyone else claim to have this working.

DS4 works for me.

Hasney

Latency is good. Currently all points wired directly to my router. Controller works as expected. However, Steam Link is a mixed bag with early testing. Tried both balanced and beautiful options with hardware encoding on. Intel i7 3930k, nVidia 690, 16GB RAM, SSD.

Dragon Age 1
- PC side running well. Stream has considerable slowdown, sometimes as low as 15fps in the initial cutscenes with answer selection, while running ~60fps in my PC end. Stream froze at in first area. Kept running fine on the PC end.

Dark Souls 1
- Black screen flickering during start up on PC end, white screen on Steam Link end. Alt-tab on PC fixed this. In game streaming framerate noticeably lower than on PC. No dsfix installed during tes

Civilization V
- Ran well, with some slowdowns to ~45fps in stream while PC end stayed at 60fps. Startup DirectX selection screen is odd looking and had the incorrect colours and resolution.

Europa Universalis IV
- Ran 45 to 60fps in stream, while running 100+fps on PC (using FRAPS for measurement). Stream froze after some time while PC end continued fine.

While some success, the concept is there, partially working. Games start up buggy and can be difficult to perform initial configuration as you do not always get to use the Steam Controller or other controller. Other than the crashes and freezing, which I hope will be fixed with patches, a main issue that is bothersome is not being able to maintain a 60fps stream with a wired connection, good router (Asus 68U), and with the PC end playing at 60fps or above. Must test wireless connection. While wired, the latency is usually low.

That's worrying, mainly for the hardware of the Link than anything. Windows to Windows Steam streaming to my laptop on the top 3 games is flawless when wired. Easily a locked 60 and I even finished Metal Gear Rising with that setup.

Roshin

I assume you plugged it back into the same USB port? Also you generally have to manually install the drivers for those things.

Yes, and I have tried plugging it into every USB port now, but nothing. I tried reinstalling the drivers to no effect. I guess it's possible that the wireless 360 adapter chose to die the moment I pulled it out of the PC, but that would be some really unfortunate timing. :)

Regardless, it's dead as a doornail now.

As for the Link itself, I'm actually very disappointed in it. It works, but wireless performance is very poor. I'll try wiring everything up today and see how that works, but I really was hoping to do this without wires.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've been using In-Home Streaming for over a year with this same setup (1920x1200 PC, 1920x1080 TV) and have the same gripe. Some games won't let you choose 1080p, some default to 1200p resolution and won't change at all, some only allow 16:10 resolution choices.

So frustrating.

Oh. I have a 21:9 monitor so will that be completely screwy with a link? Anyone using a host machine with an ultra wide or multiple monitors?

Hasney

Oh. I have a 21:9 monitor so will that be completely screwy with a link? Anyone using a host machine with an ultra wide or multiple monitors?

Even using a 16:10 monitor like to stream to a 16:9 TV can be a pain. Basically, I've created a few .bat files using QRES and added it to Steam as a shortcut on my host PC. If a game doesn't like 16:9 resolutions because it's in 16:10, I can quit out and run 720p.bat and it'll switch it.

What I'm thinking of doing when I get dedicated streaming hardware like the Link is see if I can switch it as part of the Wake on LAN script, so it's 16:9 when I wake it up from the Link and 16:10 when I use the shutdown shortcut so it's ready to use when I go use my host normally.

As for the Link itself, I'm actually very disappointed in it. It works, but wireless performance is very poor. I'll try wiring everything up today and see how that works, but I really was hoping to do this without wires.

Are you on 802.11ac? That's the only way it can be acceptable to me. They've made strides recently and 2.5Ghz is better than it was, but it really depends on so many factors that you can't even flat out blame the Link.

JCX

Every time I get to the main steam link UI, my TV goes black, then steam closes on my computer.

Has anyone tried this over power line?

I was, but kept crashing Steam. Switched to wifi and I was actually able to get a game to load, but it froze and crashed shortly afterward. This Steam Thread seems to indicate that this isn't just me.

I was about to ask exactly this. I've been attempting to on a couple 2008 adapters that I've just found out are 85mps max. It was unusably bad, I don't think the bandwidth was the problem though because there'd be windows of time where everything worked perfectly, there's no input lag or anything. But then it'd start to stutter, lock up, sound desynchronisation, you name it. Maybe my wiring is noisy, or whatever.

I've ordered a PCI Wifi card, so I'll try that out tomorrow. Hopefully it'll be a better experience.

I'm using the Steam Link hooked up to a pair of these, and I'm getting a steady 1080p/60 from my downstairs PC to my upstairs PC. Fairly new home (built in 2007), so the wiring quality is probably decent.

In non-in-home-streaming use, they've been pretty fantastic: less than 5% bandwidth loss from the 150mbps internet connection, and little to no impact on ping. A great alternative to me running more wires through the walls.

_woLf

Is there any kind of refund available if it doesn't stream well?

I have mine still in box and I'm nervous I'm going to get bad latency. :/

Hasney

No idea. I think they're trying to cover their own back on the Steam page with "Notice: Wired network is strongly recommended".

You probably can ask them in the mail I put in the OP. Or just regular CS. For Mac users they gave a specific address and said they extended the right to return the product for any reason from 30 days to 60 days.

JoeBoy101

I'm using the Steam Link hooked up to a pair of these, and I'm getting a steady 1080p/60 from my downstairs PC to my upstairs PC. Fairly new home (built in 2007), so the wiring quality is probably decent.

In non-in-home-streaming use, they've been pretty fantastic: less than 5% bandwidth loss from the 150mbps internet connection, and little to no impact on ping. A great alternative to me running more wires through the walls.

What this guy said. I picked up a pair of TP-Link Powerlink Adapters for about $40. I didn't mind because they can be used for other things than just the link. Sure, its added expense, but between Link, Controller, and Powerline Adapters I'm at $150. Given its less than half the cost of a new console, I'm VERY cool with that added expense.

Anyways, based on speedtest alone, I was seeing a 50% increase over wireless. No idea what it is doing for the internal network speed, but I would imagine it is similar. You can always try out the link and then try the powerline adapters if latency is an issue.

That said, remember that your graphics card matters a lot in this too, as it is what is pushing the image through. In my case, I got a GTX970, so its no slouch. Only game with slowdown yet is Max Payne 3 at near-max settings.

How does it work?
Do you just plug in the mayflash adapter in the steam link usb port?

Just plug and play. I didn't even need to resync the controller.

I should note that you will still need a mouse or steam controller if you want to play games that have launchers.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
This thing really needs a way to change Steam accounts via the Link itself. Currently, as far as I can tell, you have to go over to the main computer, change accounts and then use the Link.

Iorv3th

Even if they didn't do refunds you could probably sell it to someone on GAF since they aren't out until November.

There is a power option in the top tight once you back all the way out in the software.

Yah, but how do you turn it on once you turn it off? I couldn't find a way (even by powering on the 360 wireless remote). The only way I could turn it on when it was off was by unplugging and re-plugging. Needless to say, not ideal. Last time I used the Link I just stopped streaming and kept it turned on. Maybe that's what you're supposed to do.

edit: Also, when I started up Far Cry 4 I only had a black screen and sounds - no video. I wanted to bring up some kind of dash to kill the game, but I sort of realize that the Link is only streaming video and doesn't really have any direct control over games. Anyway, I kind of lucked out and killed the game based on my memory of the menuing system, but I would have had to go directly to the PC to kill it for about any other game.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yah, but how do you turn it on once you turn it off? I couldn't find a way (even by powering on the 360 wireless remote). The only way I could turn it on when it was off was by unplugging and re-plugging. Needless to say, not ideal. Last time I used the Link I just stopped streaming and kept it turned on. Maybe that's what you're supposed to do.

If you have the Steam controller, pressing the button on that will turn the Link on. Didn't seem to work with other controllers but not sure.

Oh, and a quick note on controller compatibility: an official Xbox One controller works just fine with the Link, hooked up via USB... but a Thrustmaster 360 controller (this one) does not. The Link recognizes that some sort of controller is plugged in, but is unresponsive to any input.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Yah, but how do you turn it on once you turn it off? I couldn't find a way (even by powering on the 360 wireless remote). The only way I could turn it on when it was off was by unplugging and re-plugging.

I can't answer this unfortunately because I'm using a steam controller and simply turning the controller on also turns on the link.

baconcow

That's worrying, mainly for the hardware of the Link than anything. Windows to Windows Steam streaming to my laptop on the top 3 games is flawless when wired. Easily a locked 60 and I even finished Metal Gear Rising with that setup.

I will be getting a Surface Pro 4, in November, and plan on doing direct tests to see the differences. But, seeing my desktop push out far beyond 60 fps and the Steam Link push 45 fps is definitely worrying.

Hasney

I will be getting a Surface Pro 4, in November, and plan on doing direct tests to see the differences. But, seeing my desktop push out far beyond 60 fps and the Steam Link push 45 fps is definitely worrying.

I might try if the other way and shove SteamOS on the laptop. It's a pretty terrible spec (budget level AMD APU) but with gigabit from the desktop and 100mbit to the laptop, it gets 60 easy. No hardware encoding either as I think that's only available from the 600 series on with NVidia.

baconcow

I might try if the other way and shove SteamOS on the laptop. It's a pretty terrible spec (budget level AMD APU) but with gigabit from the desktop and 100mbit to the laptop, it gets 60 easy. No hardware encoding either as I think that's only available from the 600 series on with NVidia.

There is a thread on Valve's community forums talking about how people with SLI cards seems to be only throwing half of the frames through it. Since the 690 that I have is SLI, I may be having this issue.

McHuj

I'd be really curious if anyone has compared Link streaming to GameStream with the shield in terms of quality and latency.

sk3tch

Started playing with this yesterday morning.

• Gigabit wired ethernet
  • TITAN X SLI
  • Windows 10
  • 1080p television
  • Steam Link and Controller
Works as one would expect on games that support the 360/ONE pads - not really a fan of the touchpad, yet...but have not "tweaked" settings, yet either. Played Mad Max the most with some Injustice: Gods Among Us, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (interestingly enough - the game seemed to be confused about whether I was playing with a keyboard/mouse or a controller as it would move between those button prompts during gameplay), Hot Wheels Worlds Best Driver (don't ask), and Rocket League sprinkled in. Did not bother with any games that are not 100% controller compatible, yet.

The Link is pretty great. I mean, I can't tell the difference. Needs a bit of polish, for sure...but I think it is very well worth the purchase. Not sold 100% on the controller, but the Link is definitely worth $50. I was surprised that the controller is kind of cheap feeling. Did not expect that.

I love that MSI Afterburner OSD displays while you play on the TV. Very handy.

Zabojnik

I'd be really curious if anyone has compared Link streaming to GameStream with the shield in terms of quality and latency.

I asked about this a couple of days ago. Someone will come up with a detailed / scientific comparison sooner rather than later, hopefully. Also, it would be nice to see latency comparisons between different spec'ed PCs as well. Like, would - and if so by how much - latency improve when streaming MGSV, going from a 2500k + 770 GTX to, say, a 6600K + 980Ti, etc.

wihio

I had some issues at first following the initial setup of my Steam Link connected via wired gigabit to my desktop-- Win10, i7 930 @3.4ghz, 7950 3gb, 12 gb ram, 250gb ssd. I initially got ~30fps in BPM, not even in game, and often the screen would black out and eventually return, occasionally resetting the Link completely.

I went through the settings and set my client speed to fast, limited display to 720p and selected hardware encoding on the Steam Link. Now things ran great! Still sometimes got black screen flickering though.

I walked over to my desktop, made sure to select Hardware Encoding on my desktop--- this solved all problems! Went back to my Link, set it to 1080p and Beautiful, and all is great!

Now my only issue is the fact that I rock a 16x10 monitor on my desktop, so many games are missing ~ 100px top and bottom.... Wonder if Valve could help this issue...

Overall I am happy with the Link. I hope that it gets some usability updates (namely the 1080vs1200p issue).

Im incredibly surprised by the link, I have tried pretty much all other streaming solutions, I have been pretty passionate about it over the years and the link is without a doubt the best of the bunch.

nVidia Shield was shit until a couple of updates ago and still the link kicks it out of the water.

PSTV and PS Vita remote play is awful, awful.

Streaming to a i7 laptop that has Wireless-N is great of course, but setting it up to my TV every time is a pain, the Link has taken the place of this setup.

For reference my router is a Netgear Nighthawk R700 hidden underneath a set of stairs in a basement, PS4 and PCs are wired to the Router, my setup is usually streaming to the first floor or second floor of the house using Wireless on the clients, so not really an ideal setup, a lot of verticality and floors to go through, the Link shines though.

The fact that it accepts DS4 pads wirelessly is a huge icing on the cake, with the nVidia shield I had to gain root access and setup tons of stuff to get them to work.

Forgot to mention that I stream @ 720p

deleted

I played around a bit with it and the only problems so far have been the missing steam - overlay in Anno 1404 and Towerfall not working at all.

I'm rather pleased with it so far, seems like there is a lot of potential down the road and the basics just work so far.

Hari Seldon

The only problem I have had with the link is garbled audio, I haven't noticed any other issues and don't really get any lag or anything. Maybe I should try backing off the source resolution to reduce bandwidth. Other than that it is flawless.

Oh one bug I did encounter was I was booting up Rayman Legend for the first time and that stupid uPlay shit shut down the steam link.

Aesthet1c

Has there been any word on if the Steam Link will support the Xbox One wireless adapter? I can't decide between picking up a One controller for it or a Steam controller.

sprinkles

I tested the Link for a few hours on Sunday. I had more problems than I thought after streaming without hiccups through IHS to a Chromebook with Chrubuntu when IHS launched some time ago.

It often seems to lose connection (TV with the Link just goes black and sound stops) for up to 30seconds. Sometimes it fixes itself, sometimes it goes back to the Start screen of the link and lets me choose my PC again. Both Link and my PC (AMD 7950 with a normal output to 2 monitors and a TV) are wired to a TP-Link Archer7. I don't know if it's the PC or the modem or the Link.

mclem

[*]The easiest way to stream your desktop is to launch something that can be minimized. For example FFVII boots a launcher, which then you can minimize. (Thanks, Hasney!)

In the (unlikely!) event you don't have anything that can readily be minimised, I've just set up Notepad as an external program. Going into that then opening help with F1 will get you to the desktop.

Top Bottom