• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam In-Home Streaming and Steam Link thread

Afrodium

Banned
Does anyone find that lower/changing framerates are really noticeable on the Steam Link? I'm not someone who generally notices FPS but unless a game is holding a stable 60 when streaming it looks very choppy. Even fluctuations between 50-60 FPS stand out noticeably to me.

Obi

Neo Member
I'm really on the fence of whether to buy the Steam Link or not. Even if I'm not thinking of competitve gaming or anything, input lag is something that worries me.

The Steam Link would be connected to the ISP Router (Sagem 3284) which has a long ass cable to the room where the computer is. In here I have a Linksys WRT350N where my computer is connected.

I'm usually satisfied with the PS Vita remote play (PS4) even if trough wireless and only for games like FFXIV or Persona 5 which don't have much action happening at a time. But it does have some input lag and the screen resolution isn't the best.

Also the remote play between PC-PS4 (all wired) isn't perfect, even if better than the PS Vita.

Is this a safe bet? Will I be tossing money to the garbage bin?

If everything is wired you should be fine. I wasn't happy with the wireless experience though.

I think you should give it a shot. For the sale price of $20, it's made gaming a lot more enjoyable for me. Instead of hunched in front of my computer desk, I can relax in front of my big TV with a game pad. Another added benefit I didn't consider at first is co-op gaming. When I have friends over it's a ton easier to pull up something on the big TV and get a game going. Right now me and a buddy are having a blast playing through Divinity Original Sin 2. That would have never happened if we had to go sit in the computer room and share a monitor.

Jedi2016

I'm really on the fence of whether to buy the Steam Link or not. Even if I'm not thinking of competitve gaming or anything, input lag is something that worries me.

The Steam Link would be connected to the ISP Router (Sagem 3284) which has a long ass cable to the room where the computer is. In here I have a Linksys WRT350N where my computer is connected.

I'm usually satisfied with the PS Vita remote play (PS4) even if trough wireless and only for games like FFXIV or Persona 5 which don't have much action happening at a time. But it does have some input lag and the screen resolution isn't the best.

Also the remote play between PC-PS4 (all wired) isn't perfect, even if better than the PS Vita.

Your TV probably introduces more lag than the Link does. Functionally, I haven't noticed a difference between playing through the Link and playing directly on the PC.

It regularly goes on sale for fifteen bucks, so not a huge investment in any event.

Like pretty much every technology which makes tech more convenient, Steam Link has its own issues. MP3s and CDs reduce audio quality, DVDs and Blu-ray reduce video quality. Steam Link introduces lag and reduces AV quality.

If you can't accept these things, it's possible the product isn't for you.

Personally I love it - I have two in the house, and have recently started using an iPad with Moonlight (which for this discussion may as well be the same thing). All four with my Steam Controller (with the iPad I'm lucky enough that the controller is close enough to the PC). It's liberating being able to play the same library anywhere.

Hasney

You should be fine. Don't judge it on PS4 remote play, I have issues with that and none with the Link.

Hasney

I play a lot of Remote Play via PS4. Local remote play stinks for some reason, so I always went for online.

Heh, weird. Only time I've done it online is through my mums slow internet so that might be why I never tried it.

Works fine local now since I hot a Pro. Even on 1080/60

TransTrender

Gold Member
I finally got around to setting up my Steam Link over WiFi but immediately starting having some problems the first game I tried to play.

Using it on 5G WiFi with a Linksys WRT1900ACS. The computer is hard wired to the router and then I'm going wireless from the office to the living room which is only separated by a bathroom. When it did the performance test it said 6ms latency and 1% frame drop.

The only game I tried was Revolver360 RE:ACTOR since it was simple and had controller support. Basically as soon as any action happened on the screen the game was unplayable on my TV. Super low frames, then freezing, then a black screen.

I had to force quit the game and then restart it. I stood in the office and watched my PC screen as I used the controller via Steam Link to play the game and everything was fine. The framerate was solid and CPU and GPU usage was low.

All of this points to a network issue, but how is that possible based on the test results that were run when it started?
Where else should I be looking that could cause this problem?

Have a look at the hardware encoding options. You may want to deselect all but the relevant single option for your hardware configuration. Also, some games don't play well with certain encoders due to how they draw to the screen.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Have a look at the hardware encoding options. You may want to deselect all but the relevant single option for your hardware configuration. Also, some games don't play well with certain encoders due to how they draw to the screen.

K, I'll give those a try.
I really wanted to do Undertale but the suggested controller config was pretty wonky.

Top Bottom