• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Swords: Played it! Videotaped it!

ant1532

Banned
Mr. TV Goggles said:
I can understand what you mean, people simply don't like rails... but WTF is wrong with choosing your path with a cursor? It's as easy and intuitive as can be.

Yes, I had a feeling this was some kind of on rails game going by the first screens we got.
There was a video. And that was the impression i got.

ethelred said:
As I recall, the characters had pretty realistic human flaws which were exposed throughout the course of the game.

You don't have to be an ass about it. It's not like there's a wealth of information about the game on the Internet.

Ashodin

Being the RPG enthusiast that I am, even though I desperately want this game to be freeroaming (which would've made it hotter than hell in anticipation), the realization of linear movement, really, is not all that bad. With the way you can mess with the objects and scenery for various things (I can imagine moving forward to a PUZZLE WALL, where you have to rearrange things with the wiimote, using the "forceps" button combination of A+B), they could still do a lot besides just fight enemies and shake bushes. I mean come on, they're not going to make it "one way or the highway", you can see that there are various paths to which you can take, meaning you'll have to go down one way, fight enemies, grab a key, go back to the main path, and go back down the hallway to the locked door, fighting more enemies (or possibly a boss as you try to unlock the door) along the way!

Also, this game looks GORGEOUS.

Ravidrath

Looks great to me. I don't know why anyone expected anything more than an on-rails slasher, but I didn't so I'm perfectly satisfied.

I enjoyed what I played of Kenshin, and this looks significantly improved over that in terms of both gameplay execution, scope, sword detection and (of course) production values.

birdchili

Ravidrath said:
I don't know why anyone expected anything more than an on-rails slasher

not expected. just hoped.

this definitely looks fun. it's just not filling the need for a proper wii remote friendly rpg.

Dr.Hadji

LevelNth said:
Damn, that combat looks crazy repetitive. The fight against the Golem was kinda cool, though even that dragged too long, and the player just had to keep doing the same block then attack combo over and over and over. Even that super move attack looks like it'll get to be a chore to do repeatedly. The forward/backward movement only seriously sucks too, and will really limit this game. I thought someone mentioned in that other thread that it was going to be free roaming? And was that a scorecard at the end of that level? Is the game a cohesive world (not necessarily streamed or anything), or just schmup-esque level chunks with a boss at the end of each?

Anyways, I'm going to have to agree with most in this threa, anticipation has really died on this one. It's much more similar to Kenshin than I thought it would be, especially after all those comments in that Famitsu scan thread.

crazy repetitive?

DQ8 was crazy repetitive. This is just normal. At least it's a lot more interesting than pressing a button over and over and healing occasionally.

Has anyone considered muliplayer with this game.

I like it so far.

birdchili

more impressions here: http://wii.ign.com/articles/743/743880p1.html

ign said:
With battles being everything in this game, it would be a shame if there weren't much in the way of strategy. That doesn't seem to be the case, thankfully. The first boss fight required that you block incoming attacks, then slash like crazy as the boss character recovered. Other battles feature near and far enemies, requiring combinations of magic and sword slashes.

It may seem like a simple gameplay system, but there's potential for greatness in Dragon Quest Swords. We can't wait to see what Square Enix puts together for the final version early next year.

also: you can't even turn around and head back the way you came?

Xristot

If there is anything Riviera taught me, it's that linear traveling and levels can be awesome when done right. I'm really excited about this game. I think it'll definitely turn out awesome.

Screw the haters.

birdchili said:
not expected. just hoped.

this definitely looks fun. it's just not filling the need for a proper wii remote friendly rpg.
That's why I want Square to port FFXII (to help support its little brother for DS)... I think the targeting and menus would be really nice... as would 480p widescreen.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I like games on rails and this game on rails looks fun. I see many fun boss battles ahead.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Eh... I was hoping that they'd take that silly plug & play TV game as a basis and build a substantial game around it, not just take that concept, improve the graphics, and ... leave it there.

So this is Genius Sonority then? That'll explain pretty much everything. Pretty much the very definition of potential gone flat.

Mejilan said:
Eh... I was hoping that they'd take that silly plug & play TV game as a basis and build a substantial game around it, not just take that concept, improve the graphics, and ... leave it there.

So this is Genius Sonority then? That'll explain pretty much everything. Pretty much the very definition of potential gone flat.
It's Eighting (developing) and Genius Sonority (planning) working together.

ethelred

Mejilan said:

Okay, serious question -- what exactly were you and some of the other detractors looking for here?

Because they have improved the concept and the play mechanics here compared to what was in Kenshin. The basic formula, of course, isn't going to change -- it's a game premised on attacking by slashing the remote like a sword.

So how were people hoping/expecting to see the formula improved? For myself, I can list a few things:

- free-roaming/movement for exploration and battles: I've already expressed my disappointment that this isn't going to be added
- more emphasis on RPG stuff such as leveling up and extensive use of items and magic: well, as we've discovered, this is in there. Magic seems to be important, you level up, and there are lots of items
- stuff to do in battles besides attacking: I like the look of targetting the shield at attacks to block. Adds the potential for lots of complexity and interactivity in attacking/blocking
- towns: we know there's a base town in the game with NPCs.

So, um... I'm bummed about the rails, but what's the deal? What were people really hoping for or expecting that this game isn't looking to deliver? Because it certainly looks fun to me and it certainly looks like they have improved/added to what was in Kenshin.

noizbot

I had no problem with Killer 7's rail system, so I'm not going to pass judgement until there's more information. Plus, when I was a kid, I used to love Crossed Swords on the Neo Geo at the arcade. It was really shallow, but it was still fun.

My interest level hasn't really changed from the "cautiously optimistic" setting it's been at for several months.

Amir0x

Banned
ethelred said:
Okay, serious question -- what exactly were you and some of the other detractors looking for here?

Because they have improved the concept and the play mechanics here compared to what was in Kenshin. The basic formula, of course, isn't going to change -- it's a game premised on attacking by slashing the remote like a sword.

An expansion on the core concept. I wanted to move around in freeroaming fashion, I wanted something more substantial. I wished they ditched the "Swords" name if it meant restricting certain aspects like the weapons, so that they could have implemented other weaponry, like bows/arrows, maces and flails. All, I presume, would feel pretty natural to most people who actually want a Wii.

As it is, it's a little better lookin' DQ8, only with sword slashing on rails. You go to an enemy, slash and block, move forward to next enemy, slash and block, etc. That there is some leveling and progression there, and you can occasionally utilizer some baser strategy to defeat the enemies from time to time is nice... but for me... it simply is not a fun concept. I gain no joy from the idea of slashing a screen on rails, and so that's how I know to move on. I think others feel like that too, or at least they're disappointed.

I've never been a HUGE DQ fan, so the appeal of slimes and characters from the series is little so it has to make up for it with gameplay that is appealing.

ethelred

Ami, you hated the concept of the game from the start, so the question really wasn't directed at you.

It was more geared towards those who were interested but somehow lost interest after what they saw in the videos.

Amir0x

Banned
ethelred said:
Ami, you hated the concept of the game from the start, so the question really wasn't directed at you.

It was more geared towards those who were interested but somehow lost interest after what they saw in the videos.

Yeah I mean you know I knew it was gonna be this way so I didn't have any different expectations, it just didn't do anything to change my mind ;)

TFIFF

Banned
Amir0x said:
I wished they ditched the "Swords" name if it meant restricting certain aspects like the weapons, so that they could have implemented other weaponry, like bows/arrows, maces and flails. All, I presume, would feel pretty natural to most people who actually want a Wii.

And from a two level demo of some weak enemies, you think you have already seen everything the game has to offer?

Mejilan

They can't change the name now, it'd destroy the awesome tank battle joke in DQ Heroes: Rocket Slime.

:lol

Amir0x

Banned
TFIFF said:
And from a two level demo of some weak enemies, you think you have already seen everything the game has to offer?

no, i don't think we've seen everything the game has to offer. However I've think we've definitely seen how the general flow of the game is gonna be, though, without doubt.

And no, I don't think some of the things we haven't see has anything to do with freeroaming, shooting a bow/arrow, or swinging a mace/flail so it was a pointless comment for you to make anyway.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The Final Fantasy XII demo was dreadful and an awful representation of the final product ::shrug:: The game turned out pretty awesome....

I can't believe I'm defending a DQ game after I detested 8, but to me this looks really interesting and how some people are throwing towels down after a made-for-demo short gameplay impression I find kinda funny. But then again, I'm a fan of this type of game, so I'm excited to see how it turns out.

And then one day, someone will wise up and give me a King's Field.

ethelred

Ami, cut the crap. If there were maces/flails or bows in the game, that wouldn't change your opinion in the slightest. :)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
They were shooting things as well as using a sword and blocking in the videos. Amirox did you even watch the videos?

duckroll

Man, FFXII demo sucked.

Lost Odyssey demo sucks (will be playing myself later to confirm).

Dragon Quest Swords demo booth sucks.

Bunch of ****ing horrible games all around. Developers should be ashamed of how these demos represented the final games so well! :lol

If I ever saw an Arcade RPG then that was it. Interesting. I'll watch it to see if they can keep the concept fresh. I do see how it could be considered a relaxing rpg by streamlining it tho. :)

Mejilan

I'm not really inclined to give Eighting OR Genius Sonority the benefit of the doubt in this, but with Horii involved, there IS hope. After all, they actually gave Level 5 a shot, and DQ8 turned out shockingly great despite their involvement!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
duckroll said:
Man, FFXII demo sucked.

Lost Odyssey demo sucks (will be playing myself later to confirm).

Dragon Quest Swords demo booth sucks.

Bunch of ****ing horrible games all around. Developers should be ashamed of how these demos represented the final games so well! :lol

just to be fair,

are you comparing this game to a numbered Final Fantasy game?

Urgg. I actually had a dream about this game the night after those scans were posted. It played like the Elder Scrolls series, but cell-shaded and Dragon Quested. That dream got me so hyped on the game. :lol

Too bad, but it could still be a lot of fun.

Amir0x

Banned
sp0rsk said:
They were shooting things as well as using a sword and blocking in the videos. Amirox did you even watch the videos?

who was shooting things? Yes, I watched the video and did not see anyone shooting things with an arrow (I saw the enemy shoot green slime things at you though). I saw slashing and blocking. Like during the one boss, he had to wait to block its swing and then slash in that opening.

I assume you mean the shooting of the magic, though... is that what you're talking about?

ethelred said:
Ami, cut the crap. If there were maces/flails or bows in the game, that wouldn't change your opinion in the slightest

Of course, 'cause then there's the whole problem on being on rails that does not appeal to me. That is the biggest hurdle. However, those things I said would be an improvement.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Half the reason I play Dragon Quest is for exploration... take that away and...

lyre

LevelNth said:
You're just jealous.
Jealous of what?!? The game would have played almost exactly, if not exactly the same if DQ8 used the DMG GB Pokemans engine. With L5 involved, the game looked real pretty, that's it. You're giving L5 more credit than they deserve when it comes to DQ8.

As for everyone else, who would have thought this would be fun?
typingdead4.jpg

Never in my wildest dreams I would have though it would be but it is. So stop complaining.

Hero

I bet this was just a graphical horsepower test for Square-Enix for them to get their feet wet for DQIX.

Right? :(

TFIFF

Banned
There isn't any other thread that has discussion/links to the videos, so I guess this is the best place to talk about the new screenshots. The most interesting one is this one:

h10462715dqsword04320jpgsj8.jpg

Walking around those people on rails would be kind of weird, so perhaps the town environments are free roaming?

TFIFF said:
There isn't any other thread that has discussion/links to the videos, so I guess this is the best place to talk about the new screenshots. The most interesting one is this one:

h10462715dqsword04320jpgsj8.jpg

Walking around those people on rails would be kind of weird, so perhaps the town environments are free roaming?
I'm guessing it's a set path through the town with the option to turn around.

birdchili

i can't imagine they'd go free-roaming in towns, and on-rails in the wilderness... that seems... backwards.

...still think that at the very least they need to let you turn around and head back the way you came.

this looks great. still waiting for a proper free-roaming, one-handed "relaxing rpg".

Top Bottom