• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Swords: Played it! Videotaped it!

taddpoll

Thanks for the vids!!

I wasn't looking forward to this game after E3, but now, after your videos, this looks like alot of fun! I'll probably be picking this one up, if all continues to go well.:D

LevelNth

Banned
thefro said:
You've seen ten minutes of probably the beginning of the game and you're already coming to that conclusion? :lol
What conclusion? I highly doubt they'll introduce any new game mechanics later on in the game that don't appear at the start, and the level structure and linearity within is inherently limiting, and thus I said it seems like it'll be very short lived.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
LevelNth said:
What conclusion? I highly doubt they'll introduce any new game mechanics later on in the game that don't appear at the start, and the level structure and linearity within is inherently limiting, and thus I said it seems like it'll be very short lived.
are you serious?

ethelred

LevelNth said:
What conclusion? I highly doubt they'll introduce any new game mechanics later on in the game that don't appear at the start

Yes, because pretty much every game out there gives you exactly what you'll have at the last level in the first level.

LevelNth

Banned
I said entire 'mechanics', not specifics like different spells or different movements for other special attacks, etc. Comprehension folks.

Pureauthor said:
Weren't you partially responsible for building up this mass of retardedness, if that's the case?

I don't particularly see how because the main things I said were:

-Horii is involved ZOMG!
-Kenshin rox

I'm really not sure how that extrapolates to "ZOMG DQ: OBLIVIONS!!!111oneoneone"

Dragona Akehi said:
I don't particularly see how because the main things I said were:

-Horii is involved ZOMG!
-Kenshin rox

I'm really not sure how that extrapolates to "ZOMG DQ: OBLIVIONS!!!111oneoneone"

No, no, I'm referring to GAF as a whole, and with you as the admin. :)

Pureauthor said:
No, no, I'm referring to GAF as a whole, and with you as the admin. :)

Well, I could do something about it, but EviLore has a thing against nuking the entire forum. I can't quite figure out why.

What were the Kenshin games like? Did they have a full-fledged story or was it just fetch quests as an excuse to send you to various dungeons.

ethelred

typhonsentra said:
What were the Kenshin games like? Did they have a full-fledged story or was it just fetch quests as an excuse to send you to various dungeons.

As I recall, the characters had pretty realistic human flaws which were exposed throughout the course of the game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Kenshin was awesome total. My frothing demand for this game increases. Horii game +1.

ethelred

I wonder if everyone calling this dull watched all of the videos (such as the boss battles) to see how involved it can be, or if they're just making that determination after watching battles against slimes?

Slimes.

ethelred said:
I wonder if everyone calling this dull watched all of the videos (such as the boss battles) to see how involved it can be, or if they're just making that determination after watching battles against slimes?

Slimes.

SLIMESLIMESLIMESSLIMESLIMESLIMESSLIMESLIMESLIMESSLIMESLIMESLIMESSLIMESLIMESLIMESSLIMESLIMESLIMESSLIMESLIMESLIMESSLIMESLIMESLIMESSLIMESLIMESLIMESLIMESSLIMESLIMESLIMESSLIMESLIMESLIMES

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ethelred said:

Slimes.

Eh, I did. While it certainly looks entertaining, it does look repetitive. I'm sure I'll give it a try, though.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
The linear paths aren't that big a problems when you put diferents routes. I mean, it's not the most freely system but you they can do hundreds of exploration things with this method. In fact, we are touching the screen and every element on it. Think of classical Adventure games for PC (Monkey Island anyone?).

The exploration posibilities with a fixed path is always great. I'm just looking forward to this game.

P.S: Sometimes, the free 3D gameplay isn't that good as linear gameplay. My favorite 3D shooters are Lilat Wars, Sin&Punishment and Panzer Dragoon. You know why?

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
tanasten said:
P.S: Sometimes, the free 3D gameplay isn't that good as linear gameplay. My favorite 3D shooters are Lilat Wars, Sin&Punishment and Panzer Dragoon. You know why?
I give up

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Dragona Akehi said:
SLIMESLIMESLIMESSLIMESLIMESLIMESSLIMESLIMESLIMESSLIMESLIMESLIMESSLIMESLIMESLIMESSLIMESLIMESLIMESSLIMESLIMESLIMESSLIMESLIMESLIMESSLIMESLIMESLIMESLIMESSLIMESLIMESLIMESSLIMESLIMESLIMES

I'll take your slimes and raise you:

http://faqs.ign.com/articles/678/678709p1.html

Thank you very much. These enemies are my favorite from any game, ever. Awesome design, personality, different tactics, and upgraded versions (slime->babble->healer->king slime, etc)

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
ethelred said:

Slimes.

Sorry dude, but the boss did looked kinda boring. Block, hack hack hack, block, unleash special. I guess there's no dodging, so does that mean you can just block all attacks? I hope there's more to it.

ronito

I was really excited. After watching it in action I'm decidedly less so. :(

I mean with the nunchuck attachment why do on rails? This is the last thing that I expected/wanted out of this game. Still though, Horii is involved. So I haven't sign this completely off.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
BorkBork said:
Sorry dude, but the boss did looked kinda boring. Block, hack hack hack, block, unleash special. I guess there's no dodging, so does that mean you can just block all attacks? I hope there's more to it.

*it was a demo*

Did anybody notice that it was basically a very basic Knight? You think the bosses are all going to look and act like that? C'mon!

birdchili

sad about the rails, but (very) happy about the one-handed control (sweet "relaxing rpg")...

encouraging skillful battling by giving a rating is nice though - a reward for doing things flawlessly is often missing from rpg battles... the rails gameplay limits things somewhat (it'll make the world seem a lot less tangible), but doesn't necessarily make the gameplay less deep. of course... i thought the battles were the weakest part of DQ:VIII, so enthusiasm about this is still under control.

*someone* is working on a proper open-ended rpg that uses the controller well, right??

BorkBork

PantherLotus said:
*it was a demo*

Did anybody notice that it was basically a very basic Knight? You think the bosses are all going to look and act like that? C'mon!

Since the demo is all that you and I have to go on, umm yes?

TFIFF

Banned
Anyone who is complaining that this game looks limited or whatever is absolutely retarded. This demo was esentially the same thing as showing only the random combat parts of any other RPG (and swinging a sword looks a lot more fun than selecting attacks from a menu).

Would you watch a video of five or six battle scenes only from an RPG and declare that it sucks? No. There is much more to this game than just walking forward while attacking.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
BorkBork said:
Since the demo is all that you and I have to go on, umm yes?

Go clicky on that link I just posted to Dragona. That knight is about the very first "difficult" opponent in every DQ game since 1987. Don't try arguing about monster depth with this crowd, kid. You'll lose.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Dante said:
That looked atrocious :(

Am I missing something? That looked ****ing incredible to me.

SuomiDude

Did you guys really expect a true Dragon Quest game out of this, although we've known since the announcement that this is going to be this sword game...

It's pretty stupid to bitch about this you know. Hell, no one seems to be complaining that DS got some ******* Slime spinoff shit instead of real DQ (I'm not saying Slime games are shit, they're supposedly very good, just that I couldn't care less about such stuff).

Tiktaalik

From the demo, the game looks like it has zero depth. Also, it's annoying how you have to go to a menu to select a gesture sensitive spell. You should just do the gesture and it'll work.

LevelNth

Banned
Somewhat on-topic, but I wonder when we'll get any official word on DQIX. It's always usually been only a couple years or so from the Japanese release of the last installment to when they announce the next.

BorkBork

PantherLotus said:
Go clicky on that link I just posted to Dragona. That knight is about the very first "difficult" opponent in every DQ game since 1987. Don't try arguing about monster depth with this crowd, kid. You'll lose.

I have no idea what you're going on about. From what I saw, the knight boss fight shown looked boring and simple to me. Was he supposed to be just a normal enemy? It has a lifebar and everything though. Block until he attacks, and hack him a few times until you build up your special = simple.

I also said that there doesn't seem to be any dodging, which means that your shield will be able to protect you from all hits, which looks to be limited in depth. I'm sure there will be better boss fights from the rest of the game, but from what I have seen, I'm disappointed.

pkasho

If you look at the maps of most rpg dungeons, it's not really that much different from "fixed paths". Most of the time you're just allowed to have some freedom in movement that doesn't really do anything. You can almost create a simple "path map" for the dungeons where "routes/caves/tunnels" are replaced by "lines". Overworlds are a different story.

DQ:S will probably have much less paths than the avg. rpg dungeon though. But hey, fixed path means you don't need to use the nunchuk~ one hand gaming~

ant1532

Banned
TheTrin said:
Am I missing something? That looked ****ing incredible to me.
yeah i know lol.

Did people come in here expecting something totally different or something? Then I would understand... But I mean, we knew it was going to be like this for a hella while

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Even on rails could allow for a lot of exploration. I mean, a lot of RPG dungeons today might as well be branching rails, it's rarely like old NES RPGs (read:Final Fantasy) where you can stand in a place the no walls visible and have to guess which way the path is. It's generally coridor after coridor. Soooo they can still make good long dungeons with branching paths.

The thing that gets me is after the boss golem thing, that score pops up. I don't know if that's a "yay you beat the boss" score bit, or a "You beat this level." I really hope it's not a "you beat this level" thing. (I bet it is though.)

I'm going to wait till I hear more about story. The mechanics look fun an intersting, but I need story in my RPGs.

Dante said:
On rails dungeon crawl, choosing your path via a cursor....Ugh.
I can understand what you mean, people simply don't like rails... but WTF is wrong with choosing your path with a cursor? It's as easy and intuitive as can be.

ant1532 said:
yeah i know lol.

Did people come in here expecting something totally different or something? Then I would understand... But I mean, we knew it was going to be like this for a hella while
Yes, I had a feeling this was some kind of on rails game going by the first screens we got.

duckroll

Mr. TV Goggles said:
I can understand what you mean, people simply don't like rails... but WTF is wrong with choosing your path with a cursor? It's as easy and intuitive as can be.

I think he mean, he would rather have full 3D eploration, instead of the rigid way it is.

birdchili

Mr. TV Goggles said:

if you're interested in rpgs and wii both, there ain't a lot right now to pin your hopes on... this game had the potential to allow for some open exploration... now it doesn't. it's not so much that it's going to be bad because of this, but there was some chance it was a bit more overworld-ey than this. "untitled namco rpg" isn't really getting my hopes up for the wii rpg scene.

Mr. TV Goggles said:
Yes, I had a feeling this was some kind of on rails game going by the first screens we got.

Kenshin was on rails. this is the spiritual successor to Kenshin, so rails were speculated from the start.

i think a game like this with proper overworld exploration/secrets and one-handed control is very do-able and could be tons of fun.

Top Bottom