• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Swords: Played it! Videotaped it!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Didn't really have too high hopes for this one... but it looks really nice, and it still IS a DQ spinoff... which means its as good as sold, for me. Thanks for the videos/impressions, John!

Dracos

Looks great to me. I for one knew exactly what it was going to be like, and the use of items and magic attacks I now have a good old Crossed Swords vibe. I think it will be fun.

chase

I didn't think there were enough games like this coming out, but this will make a great addition to my library! It will go nicely alongside that Samurai Wave bullshit. Thanks, Squenix, for giving Wii gamers exactly what they want!

Amir0x said:
i'll just consider this groundwork for the modified engine they use on DQIX on Wii.
I hope so.

Watched more videos, and I think it's looking great. Glad to see items and such are in the game, even if it's on rails. I bet there are branching paths in it, so I'm not too worried.

Amir0x said:
i'll just consider this groundwork for the modified engine they use on DQIX on Wii.

It's funny, Amir0x. You're one of those who isn't very appealed by the whole concept of the Wii, yet you're one of those who seem most convinced that it'll come out the winner in the end. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:
It's funny, Amir0x. You're one of those who isn't very appealed by the whole concept of the Wii, yet you're one of those who seem most convinced that it'll come out the winner in the end. :lol

i'm a realist.

thefro

AndoCalrissian said:
I hope so.

Watched more videos, and I think it's looking great. Glad to see items and such are in the game, even if it's on rails. I bet there are branching paths in it, so I'm not too worried.

Yeah, they showed branching paths in one of the videos. Already seems to be a lot more gameplay depth than the TV sword game this is a sequel to.

I'm sure there will be towns and a nice scenario around it.

Seriously. We've known what type of game this was for six months, ever since it was announced at E3. Yet everyone acts shocked -- SHOCKED -- to get confirmation that it's not a full DQ RPG. So much posting, so little reading.

BobJustBob said:
Seriously. We've known what type of game this was for six months, ever since it was announced at E3. Yet everyone acts shocked -- SHOCKED -- to get confirmation that it's not a full DQ RPG. So much posting, so little reading.

It's GAF. Leave common sense at the door.

Amir0x

Banned
BobJustBob said:

I'm not shocked, I was arguing with people just the other day this is how it would be! I was hoping they'd expand it... (a lot)... but they didn't expand it near enough from what I can tell (for my tastes), so now I know to move on :)

Luckett_X

Banned
I knew it wasnt going to be a full on DQ RPG, but i didnt think interactivity would be stripped all the way down to "move forward, waggle".

The graphics look great though!

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Can someone post the entire 1up impressions? I can't access the site.

At today's Nintendo World show in Nagoya, Square Enix finally pulled the lid off of Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (or DQSTMQATTOM, as we like to call it), the highly anticipated Dragon Quest spinoff for Wii that was originally supposed to be available at launch before getting delayed into 2007.

Much like the standalone Kenshin Dragon Quest game that was sold in Japan a few years back (a standalone game system using a sword that would plug in to a TV set), DQS is essentially an on-rails first-person slasher. You move forward by pressing the A or B buttons and you interact with objects by shaking the pointer at them (for example, pointing at a bush and shaking the Wiimote might result in an item popping out). No turning or strafing -- if you come to a fork in the road, arrows pop up showing you the available paths you can take, which you then choose by pointing and pressing A. It's a bit disappointing that DQS doesn't allow for more freedom of movement, but the beautiful graphics and charming atmosphere definitely help to lessen the pain.

As you travel along your linear path, enemies jump out to attack and the screen switches into battle mode. Here, you have several options; you can slash the sword in any direction by simply swinging the Wiimote; you can do a slower, more powerful forward thrust attack by lunging the Wiimote toward the screen; you can cast projectile spells by pressing the B button (useful for attacking enemies in the background or hiding behind objects); and you can defend against attacks by pressing A to hold up your shield. Shield movement isn't restrained to just one spot, either; if an enemy attacks near your feet, for example, you need to move the shield low in order to block it. There's also a special attack you can perform when your attack gauge fills up. If you press 1 when the gauge is full, a special meter appears on the right side of the screen that represents the strength of your upcoming attack. At this point, you're supposed to waggle the Wiimote in the air in a circular motion as fast as possible to try and build up the meter before unleashing a devastating series of supercharged blows on your unsuspecting foes.

At the end of each stage, you take on a boss (in the demo version, anyway), and once you defeat them, the stage is completed and you receive a ranking and points. (We ranked A and B, respectively, in the two available stages at the event.)

DQS is due for release in Spring 2007 in Japan, with a US release hopefully to follow shortly thereafter. It may not be a full-on RPG like the other DQ games, but the short bit we played was definitely more enjoyable than we expected, given the obvious shortcomings in its design (linear movement, stage-based progression, etc.). We're excited to spend more time with it, and will be back with more coverage as soon as possible.

Luckett_X said:
I knew it wasnt going to be a full on DQ RPG, but i didnt think interactivity would be stripped all the way down to "move forward, waggle".

The graphics look great though!

You know, as much as it's normally useless talking to you...

Have you even played Kenshin DQ? Because I have, and guess what? It's really fun. The only real problem with the game (asides from length) is the fact that the IR controller sometimes futzes out. Which won't happen with the Wiimote. Oh, and it looks like you have new moves and shit in the Wii version.

Muchos gracias.

Hmm... if they're still sticking with the 'RPG' label... I wonder if you can equip armour, better swords, if you level up, etc.

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Muchos gracias.

Hmm... if they're still sticking with the 'RPG' label... I wonder if you can equip armour, better swords, if you level up, etc.

yes you level up, and you go to a town and talk to people too about... things

Adagio

BobJustBob said:
They just had such high hopes that the game wouldn't end up like it's weirdly retarded older brother... Reality stabs soul...

Luckett_X

Banned
Yes I've played the plug in TV game, and the One Piece one as well, which I found to be a fair bit better, but still tirelessly repetitive.

LevelNth

Banned
BobJustBob said:
For me personally it's not shock so much as it's disappointment that they aren't doing anything more, especially in the face of so many saying how it will be so much more than a usual spin-off because Horii's involved (I have no idea what the hell he could possibly be contributing to this though; seems very bare-bones). This seems like it'll be very short-lived.

Anyways, on another note, I didn't see the guy using the nunchuk, does the game utilize it at all?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
said:
As you travel along your linear path, enemies jump out to attack and the screen switches into battle mode. Here, you have several options; you can slash the sword in any direction by simply swinging the Wiimote; you can do a slower, more powerful forward thrust attack by lunging the Wiimote toward the screen; you can cast projectile spells by pressing the B button (useful for attacking enemies in the background or hiding behind objects); and you can defend against attacks by pressing A to hold up your shield. Shield movement isn't restrained to just one spot, either; if an enemy attacks near your feet, for example, you need to move the shield low in order to block it. There's also a special attack you can perform when your attack gauge fills up. If you press 1 when the gauge is full, a special meter appears on the right side of the screen that represents the strength of your upcoming attack. At this point, you're supposed to waggle the Wiimote in the air in a circular motion as fast as possible to try and build up the meter before unleashing a devastating series of supercharged blows on your unsuspecting foes.

At the end of each stage, you take on a boss (in the demo version, anyway), and once you defeat them, the stage is completed and you receive a ranking and points. (We ranked A and B, respectively, in the two available stages at the event.)

At first reading "LINEAR SLASHER" in the OP I went into disappointment total. After reading this, though...I'm actually kinda hyping back up. Ok. It's not in the same vein as the numbered series. I get that. I'm sure the story will still be serviceable and all the DQ assets will be there, so that's cool.

Now here's why I'm hyping myself back up, if you can follow. Basically, I'm picturing an old-school FPRPG that functions as one huge dungeon. Not sure if we'll even have that much control, but still.

The other thing that I'm getting from this is that it oozes atmosphere. The DQ monsters list has been AAA since the original. Character designs are awesome. The Slime is as big of an icon in Japan than Mario, if not bigger. These character enemies are awesome, and I assume this game focuses on that. That's cool. The other thing I'm picturing relating to the atmosphere are those shots from the E3 promo video (almost 7 months ago):

dqswords1.jpg

dqswords2.jpg

dqswords3.jpg

Obviously these are captures, but these just oooze style. Check out the light peaking through the trees as Goldman peers on. This is something that Enix can truly focus on as each combat screen will be an opportunity to maximize potential. Will the paths look like that? I kinda doubt it. But right now I'm imaging dungeon crawling FPRPG with this style and I'm growing more excited by the moment.

The last thing that I'm interested in is control, and I think it will be the most important thing after all is said and done. "LINEAR SLASHER" makes me cringe with disgust honestly, but reread what the quote above said. But additional gameplay elements like spells, energy breaks, and blocking high/low/etc sound pretty cool.

I'm hoping at this point that it has all the normal awesome enemies, great atmosphere and locations, and a story worth pursuing. I hope the control is much deeper than "wave your arms around" and we get something that is truly hard, enjoyable, and rewarding. I don't expect an 80 hour quest or anything, but this had better deliver. If Enix (Square) uses a potentially poor-selling side project like this as an excuse to not deliver the goods (DQ9), I think that would be a bigger tragedy than DQ-themed LINEAR SLASHER.

I'm not as hopeful as I was, but I still look forward to this game.

Baryn

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Have you even played Kenshin DQ? Because I have, and guess what? It's really fun.
Maybe, but more fun than a full DQ?

Most of us knew what was going on at the game's unveiling, but this confirmation just rebirths the disappointment at no DQblivion.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
LevelNth said:
Anyone know if the enemies always pop out at specific points, or is it randomized/alternated in any way?

If its linear, it would almost have to be specific in number and rate. If one can control movement (even if its a linear path) and revisit areas, then it would be random I guess. Then again, what kind of legitimate leveling-up system has numbered enemies??

LevelNth

Banned
PantherLotus said:
If its linear, it would almost have to be specific in number and rate. If one can control movement (even if its a linear path) and revisit areas, then it would be random I guess. Then again, what kind of legitimate leveling-up system has numbered enemies??
That's what I was thinking. I really can't see how it would work with only specific encounter points, not to mention that would really hurt the replay value. Has it been confirmed that you can actually level up or revisit any of the areas?

ethelred

A few general comments:

1. I don't think anyone was saying that they expected this to be just like the numbered Dragon Quests. People only said that it was by Horii, who's only worked on the numbered Dragon Quests, and that that was an indicator of quality. So people using the "They thought it'd be just like DQ8 hurr hurr hurr!" need to drop that moronic strawman.

2. Graphically and artistically, the game looks spectacular. Looks like Eighting was a great choice after all, because they've created an amazing looking game that definitely has quite the edge on DQ8... and that's saying something, for me.

3. I am disappointed that it's on rails. Free-roaming movement was certainly one of the things I had hoped they'd add to the formula here, because free-roaming in an RPG that plays out like this game does would've been absolutely killer. So this definitely buzzes a good bit of my enthusiasm and hype.

4. However, the game still looks like a lot of fun. The gameplay looks fun, the bosses looked like a lot of fun (particularly the blocking of attacks)... and they clearly have upgraded the Kenshin gameplay by quite a bit, in terms of the shield blocks, the item use, the magic.

So, bottom line, I'm not as excited as I was, but the game still looks quite enjoyable and I expect it to be a quality game. I'm glad the actual impressions from those who are there playing it are positive.

PantherLotus said:

Leveling up could be accomplished by how well you fight rather than how many enemies you kill.

john tv

LevelNth said:
That's what I was thinking. I really can't see how it would work with only specific encounter points, not to mention that would really hurt the replay value. Has it been confirmed that you can actually level up or revisit any of the areas?
You do level up, yes. Dunno about any of the other stuff, though. The demo was pretty limited in that sense -- it didn't reveal too much.

Luckett_X said:
Yes I've played the plug in TV game, and the One Piece one as well, which I found to be a fair bit better, but still tirelessly repetitive.

Well if you have, you can clearly tell that DQ Swords is far and away a much deeper experience, even from this small demo that doesn't show that much.

So in effect: YOU LOSE GOOD SIR, GOOD BYE.

Baryn said:
Maybe, but more fun than a full DQ?

Most of us knew what was going on at the game's unveiling, but this confirmation just rebirths the disappointment at no DQblivion.

It was never going to be a full DQ? Like ethelred, I was hoping for freeroaming... But I wasn't expecting some of the crap people were spouting here.

Kenshin = Fun

DQ Swords = More Fun

GAF = Retards

Buggy Loop

Killer7's path choosing wont bother me at all, graphics are very nice, i really hope that if sales of DQS are good enough for the team to consider putting DQ9 on wii, that it'll be the same engine and hopefully even some remote action.

Seems fun.

Also, did the kenshin game have magic spells?

thefro

LevelNth said:
For me personally it's not shock so much as it's disappointment that they aren't doing anything more, especially in the face of so many saying how it will be so much more than a usual spin-off because Horii's involved (I have no idea what the hell he could possibly be contributing to this though; seems very bare-bones). This seems like it'll be very short-lived.

You've seen ten minutes of probably the beginning of the game and you're already coming to that conclusion? :lol

Top Bottom