• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Swords: Played it! Videotaped it!

Still looks like an Arcade RPG to me. Which is fine provided it either has replayability or lasts at least 12-18 hours of interesting/challenging gameplay. (not repetitve)

birdchili

this could be lots of fun, but it's *not* replacing the need for Wii to get some *real* rpgs.

if the combat is engaging, has actual skills you need to learn to be good, and adds depth as you play the game will be fine. it's going to live or die by the combat system though - there doesn't seem to really be anything else there (unlike DQ:VIII, which i felt succeeded in spite of it's combat system).

TFIFF

Banned
Aurora said:
Oh, so they chose not to make it fun. I'll pass.

-Square-Enix Research and Development Meeting, circa 2005-

President: So what's up with that Revolution thing, Lamecube 1.5 right?
Some guy: Hahaha lame.

-Square-Enix Research and Development Meeting, circa 2006-

President: So what's up with that Wii thing, DS 2.0 right?
Some guy: Hahaha cash in time.

-Square-Enix E3 2006 Presentation-

Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and The Tower of Mirrors announced.
President: If a name that long doesn't draw in those non-gamers, nothing will.

-Everyone post E3 2006-

Oh cool, Dragon Quest Swords will be like the plug-in game with Wii remote functionality...hopefully it turns out good with Horii, Toriyama, etc working on it.

-Nintendo World 2006-

Hey here is the first demo area of one environment, please enjoy the framework for what types of basic controls you can expect to see!

-Trolls post Nintendo World-

LAME, I thought this would Oblivion Dragon Quest, they chose specifically not to make this game fun WHAT THE **** SQUARE THIS GAME SUCKS BECAUSE ITS FOR THE WIIARRRHGHGHh

TFIFF

Banned
Total Hardcore Gamer said:
Looks like a wildly less exciting, stiff version of a flash game called Ronin - Spirit of the Sword

I always play my flash games with a motion sensitive, wand shaped mouse while slashing through the air.

Looks like a wildly less exciting, stiff version of a flash game called Ronin - Spirit of the Sword

http://www.2flashgames.com/f/f-38.htm

I'll still be looking into it though since... well... not much else as far as RPGs go on the Wii(til FE).
Oh brother...

This game by Square-Enix honestly reeks of high production values. Well, maybe not high production values, but it reeks of quality. It may have a fixed path, but it looks incredibly fun, and still seems to have that adventurous feeling.

I want to know more of this game. :(

ethelred

Aurora said:
Oh, so they chose not to make it fun. I'll pass.

Eh? Looks fun to me. The people who've all played it said it was fun. What exactly were you expecting this game to be?

birdchili said:
this could be lots of fun, but it's *not* replacing the need for Wii to get some *real* rpgs.

Well, it is a real RPG, just a differently styled one... and not the epic sort of RPG you get from a traditional Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest game. But yeah, I agree with you -- the system still needs a lot more RPGs, though I find its current lineup quite promising.

birdchili said:
if the combat is engaging, has actual skills you need to learn to be good, and adds depth as you play the game will be fine. it's going to live or die by the combat system though - there doesn't seem to really be anything else there (unlike DQ:VIII, which i felt succeeded in spite of it's combat system).

Agreed entirely.

I'm not quite sure how, but okay. It doesn't look stiff -- the controls seem quite fluid and responsive (and the animations most certainly aren't stiff; I'd consider them quite impressive). As to exciting... I dunno, tastes vary, but gauging it just by the demo level, again, it looks fun.

Top Bottom