• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Sports Preview

AIRic

74! I don't have much money to buy games other than Zelda with my Wii. 1:1 controls really had some depth to this title.

The Hermit

I wanted a Wii soooo much... but my dad just bought me a DS, so I´ll have to wait a bit longer. Man, this is the first big Zelda game that I´ll miss lauch :(

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR

I too wonder about the Golf being 9 holes. I have a feeling that will probably be all there is unfortunately. Prove me wrong Nintendo.

methodman

Banned
s_owens_i.jpg

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Btw really stupid question, how much does the controller stick out from the top of your hand while holding the controller comfortably to press the buttons? I am afraid that I will hit the top of the controller into my ceiling during baseball pitches and tennis serves :-|

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Sp3eD said:
Btw really stupid question, how much does the controller stick out from the top of your hand while holding the controller comfortably to press the buttons? I am afraid that I will hit the top of the controller into my ceiling during baseball pitches and tennis serves :-|

It's a little remote, not a ****ing pole

ziran

PantherLotus said:
One of the questions I had was how base-running and all that worked. I'm pretty sure its all done automatically, but I haven't seen any pics of fielders or anything else that suggests that this is more than a home-run derby...
i think you're playing a proper game of baseball but players are just in control of the pitching and hitting, everything else is automatic.

Sp3eD said:
feature_main_img_others.jpg

i think you'll be okay and from the videos of people playing you don't have to do a full tennis serve motion.

MrSardonic

:/ ign are still detailing control problems with wii sports. Some pretty simple ones that are surprising Nintendo overlooked, especially that original bowling exploit that Sega managed to avoid in monkey bowling

MrSardonic said:
:/ ign are still detailing control problems with wii sports. Some pretty simple ones that are surprising Nintendo overlooked, especially that original bowling exploit that Sega managed to avoid in monkey bowling

Such as?

This is the most pathetic thread ive ever seen.

Lets post a thread for people interested in MGS4 and just count ourselves as we go on...

Really, holy crap what's wrong with you people.

MrSardonic

BrodiemanTTR said:

did you not listen to their podcast? the games seem only to plot the start and end point of a motion and the time it took to get there, so you can play baseball by doing tiny little flicks. craig could get strikes by flicking the wiimote against this hand (perhaps nintendo have fixed this now, but they seemed to be amazed that craig was even doing this...which doesnt say much about the quality of their testing), something which they said was not possible in monkey ball bowling and only resulted in a slow bowl...and someone also said that sometimes the backswing in golf was causing the ball to get hit. they were also implying that boxing is probably shit which is why it is not being shown to press very much at the moment.

they said wii sports was a lot of fun, but i dont like the sound of some of these control and glitch issues - hopefully they are all fixed by launch.

ziran

MrSardonic said:
did you not listen to their podcast? the games seem only to plot the start and end point of a motion and the time it took to get there, so you can play baseball by doing tiny little flicks. craig could get strikes by flicking the wiimote against this hand (perhaps nintendo have fixed this now, but they seemed to be amazed that craig was even doing this...which doesnt say much about the quality of their testing), something which they said was not possible in monkey ball bowling and only resulted in a slow bowl...and someone also said that sometimes the backswing in golf was causing the ball to get hit. they were also implying that boxing is probably shit which is why it is not being shown to press very much at the moment.

they said wii sports was a lot of fun, but i dont like the sound of some of these control and glitch issues - hopefully they are all fixed by launch.
i can understand your concern, but you're colouring what ign said a bit.

what they talked about was you could cheat in build they played by using different motions from those used in the real sports. once you've played the games a few times it sounds like the controls are great when you play properly, both in this preview and all the others. also, like you said, they brought it up with the dev team.

really though, why would you want to cheat in wii sports? i can understand doing it for a bit of fun, but for a normal game why bother?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I can imagine the entire xbox live user base sitting at home playing wii sports and marvelling how they are better than all the "noobs that stand up to play" while getting good scores sitting in one place and barely moving the remote.

I really hope you can exploit the controls, just so I know the people I have to murder for stupidity if they play it at my house.

ziran

catfish said:
I can imagine the entire xbox live user base sitting at home playing wii sports and marvelling how they are better than all the "noobs that stand up to play" while getting good scores sitting in one place and barely moving the remote.

I really hope you can exploit the controls, just so I know the people I have to murder for stupidity if they play it at my house.
yeah. i mean you can cheat in meteos, light gun games, tekken and other fighters, in fact you can button mash in many games, but you miss much of the enjoyment, so there's no point imo.

Amir0x

Banned
ziran said:
i can understand your concern, but you're colouring what ign said a bit.

what they talked about was you could cheat in build they played by using different motions from those used in the real sports. once you've played the games a few times it sounds like the controls are great when you play properly, both in this preview and all the others. also, like you said, they brought it up with the dev team.

really though, why would you want to cheat in wii sports? i can understand doing it for a bit of fun, but for a normal game why bother?

If the motions are such that you can do something other than what the game intended and still acheive consistently successful results, then that's a huge problem. I don't know if that's a problem with testing, or just the way they designed the game, but there's no other way to shake it but a big issue.

This has been consistently said, too... at the New York event, some said that they could manipulate Wiimote in Wii Bowling such that they could consistently get the same exact shot... and when they told the Nintendo rep, he seemed shocked (admittedly, eager to bring this info to the attention of the dev team).

ziran

Amir0x said:
If the motions are such that you can do something other than what the game intended and still acheive consistently successful results, then that's a huge problem. I don't know if that's a problem with testing, or just the way they designed the game, but there's no other way to shake it but a big issue.

This has been consistently said, too... at the New York event, some said that they could manipulate Wiimote in Wii Bowling such that they could consistently get the same exact shot... and when they told the Nintendo rep, he seemed shocked (admittedly, eager to bring this info to the attention of the dev team).
like i said: you can cheat in meteos, light gun games, tekken and other fighters, in fact you can button mash in many games, but you miss much of the enjoyment, so there's no point imo.

i'm looking forward to playing in a different way and using full motions and i think there are loads of other people who will find enjoyment in this. i think for most of the people who enjoy wii sports if there is a way to cheat the motions in the final build they just won't do them.

flailing is fun.

Amir0x said:

I think that was an IGN editor who found an exploit so that he could pitch a strike everytime in Wii Baseball. Between that and people saying that almost every hit is a homerun, it sounds like baseball is still a bit broken. Hopefully they'll be able to fix it in time.

It's been said that nobody has bowled a perfect game in bowling yet, I think it might be one of the tighter games.

Edit: Ooops...just checked, it was bowling.

Amir0x said:

Craig from IGN did this as well. He managed to get constant strikes in bowling just by flicking his hand. Apparently, the developers were actually in New York, and gathered around him to see what he did.

Sp3eD said:

I too wonder about the Golf being 9 holes. I have a feeling that will probably be all there is unfortunately. Prove me wrong Nintendo.

I read about it having 9 new holes and 9 holes from NES Golf. :]

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
AntMurda said:
Anyone think Lil Mac will make a cameo in Wii Boxing???
Given that we've had a different boxer in each iteration of Punch-Out!!, and generally these boxers don't have names, I find it rather unlikely that Mac will make a cameo.

(Oh, and 100 here.)

Top Bottom