• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Sports Preview

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Koren said:
23... It'll be a smashing hit at this rate ;)

Looks nicer than I expected. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

By the way, how do you dodge in Boxing ? I understood you use Nunchuck and Remote in each hand to boxe like in "real life", but besides this ?

move both hands to the side or down together.

arab

Koren said:

By the way, how do you dodge in Boxing ? I understood you use Nunchuck and Remote in each hand to boxe like in "real life", but besides this ?

Of course it'll be a smash hit, it's bundled with every Wii!

24. Wii Boxing and Golf are influencing much of my excitement.

27! One of the most anticipated titles of the year for me.
Im just anxious to find out if every game will feature some basic one player skills.
I mean, as a showcase of the system and a multiplayer title it will be second to none, but i want to see some basic tournament modes and multiple levels for golfing, baseballing, etc etc
. There needs to be some supplementary one player goal, which all signs point to that there will be.

Something i need to report too, i interviewed recently a Nintendo executive here in my country, and he implied that Nintendo could really possibly send new levels and events for Wii Sports via WiiConnect24 soon after the launch of the system, or early next year:)

28 then!!!

Peru

I don't care for bowling or baseball.
But golf looks fun. Boxing looks surprisingly fun. And I love "simple" tennis games with surprising depth and I hope this is one of them.

levious said:
move both hands to the side or down together.
apparently the 'best' way to play is not to move your hands, but move your body. so you keep your hands still, and duck side to side like a real boxer.

obviously you'll have to stand to play that way, but i think wii sports is a game where standing is going to be the norm.

StRaNgE

Banned
must have , day 1 title. oh wait. it's in the box!

goodness for me and friends at the party i am throwing launch night.

perfect!

fresquito

Koren said:

When you move them sideways, you dodge. So, if you are keeping your protection and move your body, your hands will follow, thus dodging, just like in real life.

This is my most anticipated title to have hands-on.

Model 500

Definitely looking forward to it, Wii Sports is giving me a bit of a Super Tennis vibe with the logos, colours and all. Good stuff..

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Blablurn said:
has it online play?
I made a smart ass reply, but the game looks to awesome to bag it to much.

no it doesn't like all wii launch games.

koam

sp0rsk said:
I'm one of the 5 people on this forum looking forward to this game.

I think this is one of those games that no one is really looking forward to very much but once they try it they'll love it.

BuzzJive

38 + 39. My wife and I were going to pick this one up launch night anyway. I really enjoyed playing Tennis at E3 too. Can't wait to play the rest.

Thomper

Infernal Monkey said:
Ahahaha that's great. =D
Played the game last week. It was awesome. I rolled the ball back accidentally once, and there were all these Mii's cheering in the back seeing a ball get rolled towards them. :lol

Ranger X

Anybody of you played the games other than Tennis?

Tennis is extremely deceiving as YOU'RE NOT CONTROLLING YOUR CHARACTER. You only hit the ball --- it's ****ing lame.

Ranger X said:

Tennis is extremely deceiving as YOU'RE NOT CONTROLLING YOUR CHARACTER. You only hit the ball --- it's ****ing lame.

Have you played the game? Can you proliferate and attest to the fact that complete and variable control over your actual shots does not in fact make up for lack of movement control? If so, and if you can factually say this, do tell.

Ranger X said:

I think this is stems from the fact that Tennis is the only game in which moving your character around the field plays a really important role - it would be a bit hard to simulate it with the Wiimote and keeping it accessible to the casuals/nongamers.

mrwilt

Unison said:
Wii Bowling's the game that sold me on the Wiimote. Once you play it, there's no going back. :D

Can you put english on the ball and actually hook the ball in the pocket? If so, that is all kinds of awesome.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
mrwilt said:
Can you put english on the ball and actually hook the ball in the pocket? If so, that is all kinds of awesome.

yup, most videos just show people trying to bowl it straight down the middle though.

ziran

MrSardonic said:
Maybe posted elsewhere? Anyway, this is a video of some UK website testing out Wii, and it includes some footage of the game-selection screen in Wii Sports and some of the options menus (e.g. you can select if you're left/right handed, your mii, etc).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHyrZh79_n4&eurl=

Looking forward to trying this game out with some friends for some post-pub or post-spliff hilarity.
Annoying Old Party Man said:
Something i need to report too, i interviewed recently a Nintendo executive here in my country, and he implied that Nintendo could really possibly send new levels and events for Wii Sports via WiiConnect24 soon after the launch of the system, or early next year:)

28 then!!!
thanks.

both are good to hear. i think i remember something about being able to choose whether you're left or right handed, but it's great to have it confirmed. updates via online would be a really nice addition, especially if they're free.

i'll add them to the original post.

edit - to those who like the thread, you're welcome. to those who are bitching about the same old things, like not being able to move the players in tennis, the graphics, nintendo hates real gamers, etc, i say :)

Ranger X

Pureauthor said:
I think this is stems from the fact that Tennis is the only game in which moving your character around the field plays a really important role - it would be a bit hard to simulate it with the Wiimote and keeping it accessible to the casuals/nongamers.

Look, it wouldn't kill the game to move the character around for multiple reasons. First of, half of the Tennis game is your movement. Only hitting the ball, as precise as it could be could never make up for the lack of controlling your character imo. Second, it would extremely easy to move it around with the joystick on the nunchunk. What's more, you don't have to make big movements with the Wiimote so having the nunchuck plugged in wouldn't bother the movement.
I can even see "casuals" noticing this detail like "what the hell, it's stupid, it's just hitting the ball".
Accessible games doesn't mean "dumb" or "over-simplistic". Bejewel, Solitaire and Minesweeper are already ALOT more complicated than Wii Tennis of you only hit the ball.

Mashing

44. I can't wait to try bowling and boxing. Maybe the bowling game can help my actual real life bowling game? That'd be hilarious.

Koren

Magicpaint said:
Too bad Camelot is no longer developing for Nintendo consoles :(
Actually, they decided to try to develop a game for PC, and since they're quite a small team, they can't work at the same time on DS/Wii games. But nothing prevent them to create Mario sports games (or something else) on Wii or DS in the near future... Especially if their game(s) on PC doesn't sell well, which is quite a strong possibility, I think (I wish them to succeed, still).

That's quite funny, by the way... Pangya going from PC to Nintendo consoles, Camelot games following the opposite way. Any news about Pangya release in US/Europe ?

Koren

Ranger X said:
Look, it wouldn't kill the game to move the character around for multiple reasons. First of, all of the Tennis game is your movement. Only hitting the ball, as precise as it could be could never make up for the lack of controlling your character imo.
I must admit that I am not still completely convinced by not moving player. It was dumb in Jimmy Connors (easy mode) on SNES, I would have liked to have at least the possibility of moving the player with the analog stick as an option.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
My problem with Wii baseball, was any damn hit was a homerun.

I don't believe that there really are as many variations in reaction as they claim for these games... I mean, litereally, any direct contact with the ball sent it flying. It was harder to hit a ground ball or a pop up then a homerun.

Granted, that was the E3 build, so they could have fixed it... but if all games are actually like that, then replayability will be very limited.

Top Bottom