• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Sports Preview

mrwilt

John Harker said:
My problem with Wii baseball, was any damn hit was a homerun.

I don't believe that there really are as many variations in reaction as they claim for these games... I mean, litereally, any direct contact with the ball sent it flying. It was harder to hit a ground ball or a pop up then a homerun.

Granted, that was the E3 build, so they could have fixed it... but if all games are actually like that, then replayability will be very limited.

Watching the latest videos for baseball, it looks like it has become tougher to hit a homerun. I've seen a lot of infield popflys.

It's awesome that you can put english on the bowling ball.

The boxing game looks great. The punches seem to have weight to them and I love the sound effects when you hit someone - reminds me of Ring King.

vitaflo

46. I just want it for bowling. I hope the pin action is good. It's the only thing that really tends to hamper bowling games. There still isn't a game that's gotten it perfect.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
One of the questions I had was how base-running and all that worked. I'm pretty sure its all done automatically, but I haven't seen any pics of fielders or anything else that suggests that this is more than a home-run derby...

SuperPac

49. I think the interviews with the Wii Sports team that're up on Wii.com helped to ease my fear that this'll only be a tech demo. Looks like the game will at least have a little bit of staying power with 60 opponents in Tennis and that cool target practice mode. Fun!

chase

50! I think these could be fun, though I wish the option for more depth was there. In other words, essentially Mario Baseball, Golf, etc all rolled into one. On the other hand, Boxing seems deeper than the Punch Out! games, and I'm not sure that's a good thing! :lol I don't think I can be pleased. Oh, these also NEED to be online. Add it in a patch or something. ONLINE!

dankir

52!

I've had long Fight Night sessions with friends before, now that i can actually throw my own punches and shit, oh baby. We need Punch out WII ASAP!

THe other games look great too!

EktorPR

53!

Will not be the first Wii game I play on launch day (Zelda always comes first), but I'm extremely excited about it...more now that all those bits of info were revealed in the Iwata interview. :D

Bigfoot

Golf:
- Includes 9 of the best holes from the original NES game, which Iwata was a programmer on
Does this mean that there is only one 9 hole course? I was hoping they would have at least 4 or 5 full courses to play.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Amir0x said:
I think I count for negative 45, so you're back to 5.

I think you're anticipating it more than anyone. Five minutes of playtime... a lifetime of venom.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
PantherLotus said:
One of the questions I had was how base-running and all that worked. I'm pretty sure its all done automatically, but I haven't seen any pics of fielders or anything else that suggests that this is more than a home-run derby...

wii_baseball_1026.jpg

XeMinus

Most anticipated Wii game.
Wii Sports + Wii Play + 3 extra remotes + 1 extra nunchuk at launch FTW.

(Add Super Monkey Ball for the orgasm)

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
I'm not sure about how good Baseball and Boxing are going to be. I heard some mixed responses to boxing and its controls, and baseball could be boring quite quickly (especially for us Euros).

But Tennis, Bowling, and Golf look awesome and I can see them being played for a while.

Lapsed

Banned
I *hate* huge epic games that take 3485735 hours to beat.

I also *hate* tons of mini-games that have appeared on some of the earlier DS titles.

Wii-Sports looks like a nice balance between those two ends. It reminds me of the NES bundle where the cartridge had several games built in (Super Mario Brothers, Duck Hunt, World Track Meet, etc).

I hope there are more games like this 5-in-one Wii Sports. :)

Lapsed

Banned
fresquito said:
Where does your hate for this game come from ? Is it because it's bundled? Or more like you hate simple fun games?

It's all a "GAF" performance. Amir0x <3 Nintendo. That is why he is getting it on day one! :lol

spengo

I would of probably bought it if it wasn't packed in. This will be the first thing I play followed by Zelda.

I think Bowling is going to be a big hit with my family. I myself am really looking forward to Golf. I wish we would get some more info about it, it seems to be getting neglected on the info front.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I'm actually looking forward to this game after seeing the latest Tennis video. It looked waaaay faster than before.

I wouldn't have bought this seperately though, so I guess it's good that they packed it in.

dannie

Ranger X said:
Anybody of you played the games other than Tennis?

Tennis is extremely deceiving as YOU'RE NOT CONTROLLING YOUR CHARACTER. You only hit the ball --- it's ****ing lame.
you need to see this interview first~
http://ms.nintendo-europe.com/wii/?site=v4_04.html&expand=4&l=enGB

Porthos said:
Does this mean that there is only one 9 hole course? I was hoping they would have at least 4 or 5 full courses to play.
they just say 9 hole take from nes.....don't know how many hole at full game~

My problem with Wii baseball, was any damn hit was a homerun.

I don't believe that there really are as many variations in reaction as they claim for these games... I mean, litereally, any direct contact with the ball sent it flying. It was harder to hit a ground ball or a pop up then a homerun.

Granted, that was the E3 build, so they could have fixed it... but if all games are actually like that, then replayability will be very limited.

Yeah... this is what I don't really like about Wii Sports baseball. It seems like you could have a terrible swing, but still hit homeruns on almost every pitch.

Top Bottom