• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|Natural Selection Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

Is Tharja +def -res worth bringing to 5* and using as main red mage?

That's not a deal breaker but it's worse than neutral. The main green threats right now are mages. Her tome is very strong with the right team (hone/fortify buffs) so if you're in dire need of a mage she'll get the job done.

Scum

Yeah, I wish I hadn't spent previous feathers leveling characters like Kagero and Nowi. They are great units but don't synergize well with my team. Could of had a stacked Horse Emblem team by now.
:-/
But Kagero is godly though.

Doing the same. Going Xander/Rein/Cecilia/Elise (w/ wrathful staff). Will probably switch Elise out for Camus once he shows up, but I assume all the horse teams will be doing the exact same.
Got Rein and obviously Xander. I have a rubbish IV Olwen as well as Titania. Time to go to work.

Rodin

That's not a deal breaker but it's worse than neutral. The main green threats right now are mages. Her tome is very strong with the right team (hone/fortify buffs) so if you're in dire need of a mage she'll get the job done.
Thanks. Yeah basically my alternatives are Raigh and Sophia considering that the game really doesn't want to drop Celica.

Theosmeo

Whoa only in tier 15, and with a pretty low ranking team (699 because of no SI on my Celica) I managed to get 4808. Some of the teams i had to face were vicious though. Thought my run was dead at fights 1, 4, and 5 but no deaths somehow. Im rank 72 now... damn

explodet

Got slaughtered on my 7th arena battle, so I'm getting demoted this season.
Which is fine, I'm getting my 2.5K offense feathers and 3 orbs, you guys have fun up there!

Mupod

it's getting really frustrating losing 1 unit to bullshit on my last battle every time, but I'll try again I guess. I get 9 more swords by the end and if I don't improve my ranking above 4740 I won't get into T18.

Edit: Started my run and this was the closest call I've ever had in this game.

Team was Ephraim, Bunny Camilla (no Gronnblade at least), +5 Azura and +2 Klein. I dispatched the first two easily enough with Hector and Roy.

TKacSqw.jpg

Looks like an easy win, right? Nope. Azura could have danced Klein into every remaining spot on this tiny-ass map except for one, and he could one shot any of my characters. Klein had Luna and Axebreaker 3 as well as a Hone Atk buff, so he'd have one rounded Hector with ease. But Hector had Bonfire charged which would enable him to counterattack and one shot Klein - but what if Azura attacked first? He'd have blown his special and died to Klein. I know the AI favors going in with ranged first but I decided to do some head math and see if I had another option.

Blarblade Linde with 2 buffs had EXACTLY enough damage to one shot Klein and take no damage in return. Fury dropped her to 29 HP, and Azura had exactly 45 atk. Linde has 17 defense. Result:

Jesus fucking christ! This run better be worth it.

OVDRobo

Unless I see anything noteworthy content-wise, I think I'm finally over this game.

Opened up the game, grabbed my pointless daily reward of a dueling crest to add to the pile of the other 55 I have because the arena is an unfun slog. Figured I should at least try to improve my arena score for this week so i load in, select the first advanced team I see with an Olivia as the leader and it's a horse emblem team with Reinhardt, Cecilia and Xander hidden behind Olivia as a leader on that goddamn boat map (see post above). I just closed the app because this is just becoming tedious.

I can understand if they can't decrease the strength of x emblem team setups due to that case around decreasing the strength of units in gacha games, or maybe they don't even want to because it provides an easy way for everyone to become competitive and they can make quests such as the 'kill x enemies with a team of cavalry units', but they could at least give us something like an anti-cavalry/armor/flier sacred seal at this point to help mitigate this complete bullshit.

Having units with an effective range of 7 spaces on maps this small that also have a way to become incredibly overpowered through group buffs in a mode where you can't see what you're actually fighting before you enter the battle and are encouraged to lose as few units as possible is absolutely terrible.

I'd care less about arena balance if they could actually push out meaningful PvE single-player content, but we get a few new chapters every time a major new hero is added, a GHB every now and then - though they've started recycling those now - and that's really it. The rest is quests and grinding outside of the arena.

Mupod

there is literally a new PVE mode coming in a few days, lol. Well, probably...we don't actually know anything about it.

OVDRobo

there is literally a new PVE mode coming in a few days, lol. Well, probably...we don't actually know anything about it.

If it provides more than 30 minutes of entertainment per week then it will be significantly better than anything we have now.

Roman

Unless I see anything noteworthy content-wise, I think I'm finally over this game.

Opened up the game, grabbed my pointless daily reward of a dueling crest to add to the pile of the other 55 I have because the arena is an unfun slog. Figured I should at least try to improve my arena score for this week so i load in, select the first advanced team I see with an Olivia as the leader and it's a horse emblem team with Reinhardt, Cecilia and Xander hidden behind Olivia as a leader on that goddamn boat map (see post above). I just closed the app because this is just becoming tedious.

I can understand if they can't decrease the strength of x emblem team setups due to that case around decreasing the strength of units in gacha games, or maybe they don't even want to because it provides an easy way for everyone to become competitive and they can make quests such as the 'kill x enemies with a team of cavalry units', but they could at least give us something like an anti-cavalry/armor/flier sacred seal at this point to help mitigate this complete bullshit.

Having units with an effective range of 7 spaces on maps this small that also have a way to become incredibly overpowered through group buffs in a mode where you can't see what you're actually fighting before you enter the battle and are encouraged to lose as few units as possible is absolutely terrible.

I'd care less about arena balance if they could actually push out meaningful PvE single-player content, but we get a few new chapters every time a major new hero is added, a GHB every now and then - though they've started recycling those now - and that's really it. The rest is quests and grinding outside of the arena.

I fully agree the content drought is awful, especially combined with the lack of meaningful login bonuses. Furthermore the arena metagame seems rather toxic currently, and I absolutely admit being part of the problem by sporting a cavalry team on defense.

However, in my view it is guaranteed that the metagame will shift eventually. The publisher has a vested interest in releasing banners that new and old players are willing to invest money in, which results in gradual power creep. Obviously if you don't pull those units you might be in a worse spot, but even among free GHB units we have seen an increase in competitive usability.

Roman

I'm just surprised Beast Killers/Horse Slayers ain't a thing yet.

Mounted Blade mages and Reinhardt wouldn't really care about seeing those on defense teams. Since they would probably be weaker than non-specialized weapons they might not be a great option on offense either.

What this game probably needs is something like the Unaware ability in Pokemon.

Things I'd want for Arena 3.0:
Weekly rotation of unit / skill bans. Arena meta staling has come to a head at this point where 90% of your fights consist of dancers and the other 10% consists of all-cavalry/fliers/armor.
Random dumb rules also on rotation. No countering ever, mages hit Def while fighters hit Res, Triangle Adept for everyone (actually, this would make -blade mages much easier lol), other completely chaotic shit.

Sushen

I fully agree the content drought is awful, especially combined with the lack of meaningful login bonuses. Furthermore the arena metagame seems rather toxic currently, and I absolutely admit being part of the problem by sporting a cavalry team on defense.
I usually try not to waste stamina and level up units that I don't care. Nowadays, I started to stop care as it's getting tedious.

Even in the arena, I know the scoring limit of my team and there is little reason to play more once I get a good (usually deathless) run.

I have a high hope for the new model that seems to come soon.

Sushen

It's a lot of effort to make my 3* Narcian to kill level 35 Narcian. For one, I had to find a unit that will lower his hp enough without killing him, And, my level 35 Narcian was 7 short of kill him, so I had to boost his attack by that much. Finally, I did it but it's another case of me putting in much effort for an orb. Well, it was kinda fun...

It's a lot of effort to make my 3* Narcian to kill level 35 Narcian. For one, I had to find a unit that will lower his hp enough without killing him, And, my level 35 Narcian was 7 short of kill him, so I had to boost his attack by that much. Finally, I did it but it's another case of me putting in much effort for an orb. Well, it was kinda fun...

I was so randomly lucky for those this time. For Narcian and Alfonse quests, GHB Narcian was left with 1 and 2 HP without me trying for it. Did all quests in 2 fights.

On another note, I am at 201 spots from being kicked out of a Tier 19 promotion. It's not pleasant to just see myself drop slowly and not really be able to do anything. I feel like I will be just within 10-40 spots from qualifying. Almost wish I did not get a good run so I would not "stress" about it, looking every few hours and seeing that I would be ok if the season would be a few hours shorter or something! Haha!

Theosmeo

I find bringing a thief who debuffs makes this a way smoother process. Anyone with poison strike or a healer with pain can do non lethal damage and leave them at 1ho as well. If youve got someone with low attack and an AoE special they can do their special which also does nonlethal damage and then their attack will do 0.

The Alphonse quests are pretty easy because a lv20 2* can take care of Narcian by himself. For the Narcian ones I found the Xander I trained to be perfect for it since he's strong enough to almost kill in one hit but slow enough to not double and kill.

Vena

The Alphonse quests are pretty easy because a lv20 2* can take care of Narcian by himself. For the Narcian ones I found the Xander I trained to be perfect for it since he's strong enough to almost kill in one hit but slow enough to not double and kill.

Ya Narcian's Emerald Axe just makes him easy picking.

Alucrid

Banned

i just had elise and a dancer heal him through like 10 turns of combat

Sushen

I find bringing a thief who debuffs makes this a way smoother process. Anyone with poison strike or a healer with pain can do non lethal damage and leave them at 1ho as well. If youve got someone with low attack and an AoE special they can do their special which also does nonlethal damage and then their attack will do 0.
My Xander orko'ed Narcian, which made it more complicated.

i just had elise and a dancer heal him through like 10 turns of combat
Narcian kills my Narcian in his turn if I don't kill him first try.

It sounds everyone had different Narcian which doesn't surprise me. I don't want to promote my Narcian to 4* at this point, so it probably made my quest more difficult.

Spoit

So I know it's kinda old news, but anyone have advice for 11-5? I tried videos, but the AI acted differently, with my lilina subbing in for sophia.

WhyMe6

So I know it's kinda old news, but anyone have advice for 11-5? I tried videos, but the AI acted differently, with my lilina subbing in for sophia.

My AI was different too when I switched in Tharja, so I'd recommend just levelling up a 4 star Sophia which did the trick for me. It's so damn slow levelling up with the 1.5x bonus though.

This was the hardest Arena week I've had in a long, long time. I had my streaks broken on the last battle several times, and there is so much that I needed to account for because of these maps.

I used Duelist Crests, and I'm down to 5. I decided to use them, because I know they'll get replenished with June Quests. My perfect streak is 4758, which still has me at just 10,600.

I don't think I have to worry about being demoted, but I don't think I'll advance either. I don't mind remaning in my current tier, though.

The game has been very dry, so I'm just waiting for something exciting to happen.

ggx2ac

I think Tier 19 is going to be my ceiling for now, ranked 1043/18xx for tier 18, tier 19 is probably 40% of tier 19 to move up to tier 20 iirc.

I've spent my last 40k feathers on getting 5* Sharena and Anna so I have bonus heroes for arena.

I could have used it to boost my main heroes and I still need to spend another 20k on getting 5* Alfonse.

I keep forgetting to spend up my stamina doing training tower to get hero merit on characters.

ggx2ac

At the moment the best way to farm Hero Merit is the second trial map. 5 stamina= 4 * 4,6hm
The map is easy to autobattle with blue units.

That's a neat hint, it's too bad that it's the best way because it's only giving 92 Hero Merit every 100 stamina.

So it would take roughly 2200 stamina just to get only 4 heroes to max hero merit.

Mupod

I'm not too concerned about farming hero merit, I kinda just let it happen naturally...already have 4 maxed out characters though. And I still use them for a lot of things.

Anyways, I managed to finish my arena run. Dodged an Azura and Nino fight and ended up fighting those anyways...but thankfully no breakable walls. And I saw a Julia that had 26 speed instead of 36 for once, it's been a while. Score of 4806 has me at 2300-ish out of 13k in the top 50% of tier 17, so tier 18 here we come. Looking forward to finally being able to wheel out this Ryoma.

Ninferno

I pretty much skipped arena this week because there's no point competing with the game's current top 1.8k elites; I am all set to get demoted to T17. lol

I just hope by the time I get back to T18 a week later, there will be enough people in it so that it becomes reasonably easy to get to T19. According to what Mupod said there are already 13k people joining T18 from T17 this week. That's great news. Looks like the day of sustaining myself in 4-orb land will come sooner than I thought. I can't complete with the game's top 2k or so players, but getting to top 40% in tier 18 when it is flooded with people should be easily achievable.

Both of my accounts can now quite reliably crack 4840ish scores without too much cherry picking of opponents. I also have enough feathers reserved for Anna and Alphonse should I need them as bonus char. With that, I hope to find some comfortable resting place between T18-T19 in the weeks to come; you can't ask for more as a F2P, I guess.

Anyway, besides arena, I'm pretty excited about the pseudo perma-death mode too (it's got to go live after the May 30 maintenance, right?). As a unlucky F2P I don't have many good units besides my arena mains, but something to test your bench strength sounds refreshingly interesting nonetheless. I hope this new mode or series of maps give out good orb rewards when completed so that along with the June quests I can start to rebuild my orb reserves which are tragically emptied by my failed attempt to get Celica. T_T

As for the content drought, it really didn't bother me as much because my gaming time has been occupied by Shadows of Valentia lately. The ARMS test punch is a lot of fun so I'm definitely getting that as well. The pace of content rollout in FE:H actually works out great for me. lol

Mupod

yeah if I can be ranked this high in T17 amongst the 13,000 moving up into 18, a 4840 score will take you pretty far as time goes on and ranks fill out. As long as I can get the 4 orbs I'm happy. I've got 45,000 feathers sitting around and a spare Hector, but I'll wait for details on the new mode and arena bonus units before I make decisions.

For a while I was pretty diligent about using my stamina to level. I have over 40 max level characters. But Sanaki and Genny have been slow going, and I still need to farm SP on Ryoma. I can field quite a few viable teams if the new mode is actually hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom