• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: OS - EE |OT| No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

MattyG

Banned
I CANNOT beat the Sparkmaster 5000. I have
the remote, and no commands are working. I used the party mode one and confetti shoots out but it still kills me. Deactivate weapons, they stay charged. I'm trying self-destruct next. I wanted the loot, but this seems to be the only way.

Okay, so the self destruct command actually did what the deactivate command should have.

IvorB

I bought this game in the PSN sale and, man, am I loving this. I can't remember the last time I played a WRPG that's actually great and not a totally stripped-down experience. It's ball-breakingly hard though and right now I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm in Cyseal and have explored most of the map but every way forward I find I run up against enemies a few levels above me who just destroy me so I'm struggling a bit to find a path forward. Do I need to solve this murder thing?

But this game is really just giving me the type of experience I had with Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn which is my favourite RPG ever.

danthefan

I've started this up on tactician mode again. I love the game and played through it when it released, but there's one thing that is driving me crazy. The hitboxes of certain enemies seems to move as the character animation occurs when it's my turn. So I can be pointed on an enemy, I want to attack, and when I hit the button the enemy has moved slightly and my character moves instead of attacks. I've made a balls of explaining that but jesus it's doing my head in.

Labadal

I've started this up on tactician mode again. I love the game and played through it when it released, but there's one thing that is driving me crazy. The hitboxes of certain enemies seems to move as the character animation occurs when it's my turn. So I can be pointed on an enemy, I want to attack, and when I hit the button the enemy has moved slightly and my character moves instead of attacks. I've made a balls of explaining that but jesus it's doing my head in.

Try clicking on the enemy portrait.

danthefan

Meh, nevermind, can't even come close to finishing this fight on the beach with the orcs. Going to be too frustrating, giving up on Tactician. Third fight of the game and getting absolutely crushed.

MadYarpen

Hey GAF, I'm picking this game up tomorrow - could you point me to some good summary what should I know before playing this game? Obviously besides the OP;)

Freeman76

Double dipped on this, bought the original game on steam and clocked 67 hours on it. Grabbed it in the PS4 sale, looking forward to playing on explorer and smashing everything apart lol

Lanrutcon

Hey GAF, I'm picking this game up tomorrow - could you point me to some good summary what should I know before playing this game? Obviously besides the OP;)

Short version?

1. You're about to play one of the best crpgs to come out in the last decade.
2. Initial difficulty is the worst difficulty: get over the initial hump and you'll be fine.
3. Don't follow your quest log. Just explore and things will sort themselves out. You're going to get certain quests waaaay before you can actually finish them, so relax.
4. Don't be afraid to reroll. I promise you your initial characters won't be the ones you finish the game with. A little understanding of the combat mechanics will make you reconsider your choices.
5. There are npcs to recruit in game to fill any gaps in your party, so don't stress about rolling the right classes or screwing yourself with builds.
6. If you wander into an area where you get completely obliterated, don't keep bumping your head against the wall: explore somewhere else.
7. Get Pet Talk.

:)

NeoBob688

Is this a good game to play COOP with a non-gamer on PS4 splitscreen?

My wife has limited game experience, but is pretty good at the following games:
Super Mario Galaxy
Diablo 3 (PS4)
Resident Evil 5 (PS4 coop)

Labadal

Is this a good game to play COOP with a non-gamer on PS4 splitscreen?

My wife has limited game experience, but is pretty good at the following games:
Super Mario Galaxy
Diablo 3 (PS4)
Resident Evil 5 (PS4 coop)

It's turn-based. You can just give her tips as you go along. You can choose difficulties if that should prove to be a problem. Playing Diablo, she shouldn't have much trouble with inventory.

I love the game. It was fun when I played with my brother on PS4.

I was playing Co-Op with my brother tonight and a bug occurred. We are on the latest patch, we have just reached
Hiberheim
We reached the area by the quick way-point where you fight the pack of wolves.
We realized that his character now has permanent WET status. Anyone know a way to fix this?

jotun?

Sorry if this stuff has been covered somewhere in the 45 pages, but I have some questions about the co-op. (PC version)

It looks like our options are to either get two copies and play over LAN or get one copy and play local with controllers. Pros and cons of each?

Does the PC version play well with a controller, or is the interface significantly easier with mouse+kb?

Are both players equal, or does the host have most of the control while the guest is just along for the ride?

How does local co-op work? Is it split screen?

The way this handles solo choices is strange, I made the first person myself and gave my companion a set personality, I thought this meant she would auto-choose her lines which I would like but didn't realize it would block me from making some choices..

I just recruited Madora but it made it much harder than it should

it's weird because I have my main person set to no AI and my cleric set to judge

and she didn't want madora to come along basically because she's turned in to a sourpuss who never wants to do anything fun (although she is quickly becoming more obedient)

and it wouldn't let me recruit her at all

and then i switched to my cleric and initiated the convo and got to choose what she said lol

I've been slowly losing interest in this game which is really bugging me. I like the game, the combat is a joy, but the story just isn't hooking me at all. If I play for a while I'm able to maintain interest, but once I start another game it's hard to get back into, after months long break I've finally made it to Silverglen, and now I'm just trying to slowly trudge through the game until it's finished.

I have a huge RPG backlog I want to get through one by one but Divinity is really making my backlog grow even larger. I already own but haven't started all three Shadowrun games as well as Age of Decadence. After that I plan to play BG1-2, Tyranny, Tides of Numenera, Vampire: The Masquerade, PoE and finally Planescape Torment.

I plan to get Divinity OS II when it comes out and it looks like the story will be much more engaging. So what should I do GAF? Power through, or move on to something else?

Sarcasm

Guys, I want to play through this. I gave up first time (in classic) because I totally leveled wrong. Where can I find some guide leveling/build guides?

I went with 2H knight and a Pyro/Geo wizard.

Mivey

Guys, I want to play through this. I gave up first time (in classic) because I totally leveled wrong. Where can I find some guide leveling/build guides?

I went with 2H knight and a Pyro/Geo wizard.
I found that you almost can't miss level. (Well, maybe if you really try hard) The game, to me, is about finding creative solutions to the same problems, and understanding how to maximize the damage with the tools you got. Essentially exploiting every little thing you can in that goal.
Also, don't play on Tactician on your first playthrough.

Sarcasm

I found that you almost can't miss level. (Well, maybe if you really try hard) The game, to me, is about finding creative solutions to the same problems, and understanding how to maximize the damage with the tools you got. Essentially exploiting every little thing you can in that goal.
Also, don't play on Tactician on your first playthrough.

I understand this, but hear me out. I just want some guidance. XD

For my knight I am doing speed to 10, than focus strength with some con in it. Mage would be INT and SPD, but INT to 15 asap.

How do I get new abilities? I don't really remember but to say get the good fire spells I need to put points in it, so atm I need 2 total to get next rank.

But where do I learn the actual spells?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I understand this, but hear me out. I just want some guidance. XD

For my knight I am doing speed to 10, than focus strength with some con in it. Mage would be INT and SPD, but INT to 15 asap.

How do I get new abilities? I don't really remember but to say get the good fire spells I need to put points in it, so atm I need 2 total to get next rank.

But where do I learn the actual spells?

You have to find or buy skill and spell scrolls.

Sarcasm

Thanks.

So I went through the underground thingy and ended up in an Abandoned House (with blacksmithing stuff behind it), can I utilize this somehow?

I also don't know what to do with my abilities and talents...

My two main are a knight and wizard. I didn't change much besides some abilities to use (got rid of boulder and got rid of the bandaid heal).

Other wise they got 3 ability points and 1 talent point..while my two followers have one in each (Jahan and the ranger chick).

How do you guys decide? Some of the ingame stuff is confusing to me.

Lanrutcon

Thanks.

So I went through the underground thingy and ended up in an Abandoned House (with blacksmithing stuff behind it), can I utilize this somehow?

My two main are a knight and wizard. I didn't change much besides some abilities to use (got rid of boulder and got rid of the bandaid heal).

Other wise they got 3 ability points and 1 talent point..while my two followers have one in each (Jahan and the ranger chick).

- Abandoned house is for loot: check around, there are tasty bits to sell. In fact, loot/steal/pickpocket the SHIT out of the starting town. You can make a small fortune.
- Wizards: pick 2 spell schools and focus on them. (with a tertiary in Witchcraft for Charm). Personally? Fire and Earth are stupidly good schools and they synergize.
- Knights: go 2 handed with Warfare. Focus on kicking ass, not tanking.
- Talents: spend em as needed. Packmule/All Skilled Up/Bigger And Better is good for everyone, Glass Cannon/Far Out Man is good for casters.
- For abilities, get their primary up when you can. Use your NPCs for crafting/loremaster/etc (the utility abilities). Focus your mains on combat.
- For attributes, go 2:1 (main attribute, Speed). Constitution looks good until you realise that Raise scrolls are pretty easy to come by. You get hp each level up anyway.

Artdayne

Thanks.

This video is quite informative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sMZgmyYFek

As it's been said, go two handed with your knight, it's very strong. The abilities on the knight should be focused on two handed ability and Man-at-Arms. Don't spread yourself too thin across different skills, don't worry too much about defense.

For Attributes on the knight, put a little in speed and constitution but otherwise pump most of it in Strength. For starting abilities I would strongly suggest Battering Ram, Crushing Fist, Encourage. Cure Wounds is still pretty good too especially if you're playing on harder difficulty levels where healing is harder to come by. Then later on, Crippling blow, Rage, Whirlwind, Flurry are all great.

As for the Wizard, as has been said Pyrokinetic and Geomancer would be a good combo. You gotta see how different spells from different schools compliment each other. For instance, if you use Boulder Bash, it coats the area in oil. That oil can be set on fire with one of your fire skills and that's really effective. I would also recommend putting a point in Witchcraft just so you gain access to the spell Oath of Desecration. It puts a 50% damage boost on a target, it's very strong.

grimmiq

With the release of D:OS2 I've finally decided to start this (bought it shortly after release and backed OS2), I'm still very early on and a couple of things are confusing me.

I've just been exploring at my own pace and happened upon the Mortician, went into the back room while he was upstairs and read his journal, finding out about what happened with the body, when I confronted him about it. I had the option of accusing him of stealing a sheep from Bertia, at this point I had never met Bertia, nor known there was a stolen sheep, nor had any indication he had anything to do with it, he gave my the bag of gold. I went to the graveyard afterwards and found the corpse and went to tell Bertia, I handed over the corpse, couldn't find an option to give her the gold and she just ran off to tell the guards.

The second thing is that my partner seems to be a nutjob..I can't remember what AI I gave her, I think it was Free Spirit. We came across the guy who wanted to steal a fish, I said it wasn't our place to give him permission, she berated me on how I can't let a person starve because of my principles..The guard caught him and I thought "well, she's going to give me shit if I rat him out, I helped him into this mess by enabling him.", so I lied to the guards..and she goes nuts saying he's a thief and deserves his punishment... WTF?

Mivey

I've just been exploring at my own pace and happened upon the Mortician, went into the back room while he was upstairs and read his journal, finding out about what happened with the body, when I confronted him about it. I had the option of accusing him of stealing a sheep from Bertia, at this point I had never met Bertia, nor known there was a stolen sheep, nor had any indication he had anything to do with it, he gave my the bag of gold. I went to the graveyard afterwards and found the corpse and went to tell Bertia, I handed over the corpse, couldn't find an option to give her the gold and she just ran off to tell the guards.
I could be totally wrong, but I think this is also hinted at in his journal. Otherwise it's a fault in the game logic, yep. At that point I had talked with her before, and already had a quest to find out what happened to it, if I recall correctly.

The second thing is that my partner seems to be a nutjob..I can't remember what AI I gave her, I think it was Free Spirit. We came across the guy who wanted to steal a fish, I said it wasn't our place to give him permission, she berated me on how I can't let a person starve because of my principles..The guard caught him and I thought "well, she's going to give me shit if I rat him out, I helped him into this mess by enabling him.", so I lied to the guards..and she goes nuts saying he's a thief and deserves his punishment... WTF?
The AI is determined by a few, at times conflicting, factors. It's pretty clear that this was meant for the multiplayer part were each player could just choose whatever they wanted, and they just had to put something in for singleplayer people, who didn't want to argue with themselves. (You can cheat if you play as the AI controlled character, then you get to make all choices)

Sarcasm

Hey guys I am very lost....

I just got out of the mines after the deathknights (turned in goblin already) and after using the teleporting structure things...back in the forest now. I am completely lost >.>
Just know that I got the telebrium skill and also wondering if I can finish Forest before Hiber..snow area.
Here are the quests I have

lostdeqc3.png

grimmiq

The journal entry started with "furthermore" and I couldn't find a way to turn pages like I can with others, but there's nothing about the sheep in it, just that he's fine as long as nobody goes to dig up the coffin, which I did after confronting him.

I think I'm just going to quicksave every time an argument pops up, I really like her having her own personality and conflicting with my choices, but I'll reload if something goes wrong and she contradicts herself or flip-flops for no reason.

Oh well, I don't think that'll have a big impact on my enjoyment, and hopefully it's a couple of isolated instances.

I just found out, after having played the game back when it came out, that you can actually distract npcs with a party member while another party member steals their shit without them noticing. OH MY FUCKING GOD this changes everything.

grimmiq

Is it possible to respec companions? I know in OS2 you can choose what they'll be, I really don't like being forced to take certain characters just because I need their skillset, and don't want to start over. I tried hiring someone, but it seems they're a blank slate and add nothing to the story.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Is it possible to respec companions? I know in OS2 you can choose what they'll be, I really don't like being forced to take certain characters just because I need their skillset, and don't want to start over. I tried hiring someone, but it seems they're a blank slate and add nothing to the story.

As far as I'm aware (and I could be wrong), you can't respec their base stats and abilities, but you do choose what they build into. For instance, though he's primarily a wizard, you can turn Jahan into a pretty tight Shadowblade.

Hey guys, with the second game coming out I wanted to give another go at the game, which I played for an hour and the let collect dust on my shelf :/

Do you have any tips and advice for a near complete neophyte in WRPG ? (I love JRPGs and played a lot of them, the only WRPGs I played till now are The Witcher 3 (which I loved), Deus Ex HR/MD and Fallout NV/4 for a bit). Thanks ! (playing on PS4 btw)

grimmiq

I'm feeling a bit lost and overwhelmed, I can't figure out how to progress the Murder Mystery, I have the speak to animals talent, stole the smelly panties, which cleared the wife, got the letter out of the room, I've been trying to do things as upfront as possible, no breaking into houses or stealing, so I've been doing other quests in the hope of things connecting together, but no luck so far. I went out the north gate and struggled for a bit, considering everything was level 6 and I was level 4, but somehow managed to clear the lighthouse and Sparkmaster. Found the church and the Conduit (The guy in the tavern annoyed me, going on about the Conduit when I know she's bad since she tried to kill me right at the start, but I couldn't press him further.), I need to find a way to remove the barrier now.

After getting frustrated with trying to do things the "right" way, I've had Bairdotr level up her lockpicking/pickpocketing and trying to make her a bit of a Klepto that doesn't understand personal belongings/privacy and picked up a bunch of items that have +lockpicking, so I was able to break into Evelyn's house, found a note from the conduit..but still can't confront her about it.

It's just a bit frustrating, I'm wanting to progress a quest, but not knowing how, so wandering around the map trying to trigger any sort of advancement. I can't find anything with the smell of the others on them either as they all seem too high level for me to pickpocket at the moment and I've found nothing out in the open.

Lynx_7

As someone who loves turn-based combat, enjoys a hefty challenge but has never played a CRPG before, which difficulty would you guys recommend? Can I reasonably devise strategies to overcome tough encounters on Tactician even with relatively little know-how, or would a more in-depth knowledge of the game's systems, character builds and party synergy be necessary? Ideally I'd want a high challenge but without needing to minmax or limit my viable choices too much.

Sarcasm

Are you suppose to finish ice place before forest place? I ask because I barely gone in it but have cleared most of the map of forest and just gone through the
immaculate trial

Baalzebup

I'm feeling a bit lost and overwhelmed, I can't figure out how to progress the Murder Mystery, I have the speak to animals talent, stole the smelly panties, which cleared the wife, got the letter out of the room, I've been trying to do things as upfront as possible, no breaking into houses or stealing, so I've been doing other quests in the hope of things connecting together, but no luck so far. I went out the north gate and struggled for a bit, considering everything was level 6 and I was level 4, but somehow managed to clear the lighthouse and Sparkmaster. Found the church and the Conduit (The guy in the tavern annoyed me, going on about the Conduit when I know she's bad since she tried to kill me right at the start, but I couldn't press him further.), I need to find a way to remove the barrier now.

After getting frustrated with trying to do things the "right" way, I've had Bairdotr level up her lockpicking/pickpocketing and trying to make her a bit of a Klepto that doesn't understand personal belongings/privacy and picked up a bunch of items that have +lockpicking, so I was able to break into Evelyn's house, found a note from the conduit..but still can't confront her about it.

It's just a bit frustrating, I'm wanting to progress a quest, but not knowing how, so wandering around the map trying to trigger any sort of advancement. I can't find anything with the smell of the others on them either as they all seem too high level for me to pickpocket at the moment and I've found nothing out in the open.
A rather big part of the murder mystery is inspecting the corpse and you make no mention of progressing in that regard. Visiting the mortuary, which is next to the west gate, would be the place to start with that. And remember, you're no supposed to just gather evidence. You need to present it to the guard captain Aureus as well.
Are you suppose to finish ice place before forest place? I ask because I barely gone in it but have cleared most of the map of forest and just gone through the
immaculate trial
Yes, if you do things in the supposed order, Hiberheim is more or less the first thing you're supposed to do when you get out of the Cyseal map.

grimmiq

A rather big part of the murder mystery is inspecting the corpse and you make no mention of progressing in that regard. Visiting the mortuary, which is next to the west gate, would be the place to start with that. And remember, you're no supposed to just gather evidence. You need to present it to the guard captain Aureus as well.

Yes, if you do things in the supposed order, Hiberheim is more or less the first thing you're supposed to do when you get out of the Cyseal map.

I went and spoke to the Mortician, Bairdotir said he was hiding something so I had her sneak into his back room, found the journal saying the body was taken and he's fine unless people dig him up. So I went to the graveyard and spoke to his dog, dug up the grave and it was Bertia's sheep, confronted him and he gave me his list of suspects.

I then told Bertia and she had him arrested, then I went to talk to the mayor, saved his daughter from the nutjob elf, couldn't find anything to take to the dog for sniffing. Did the thing in the clinic with Evelyn, nothing came of it. Inspected the crime scene, picked the chest and got the love letter, talked to both the wife, noble and the dude flirting with her, nothing came of it.

Went upstairs and stole her panties, dog smelled them and said it wasn't her, talked to the captain of the guard and he just started yelling for me to leave. Broke into Evelyn's house and got the letter, it did nothing, no new dialog options with Evelyn.

I've been into the prison to talk to the mortician, he just tells me to piss off, I wanted to play this as a pair or good/righteous hunters, but I feel it's forcing me to just trespass and steal everything that's not nailed down.

Top Bottom