• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PS3 Upscaling Thread (PS1, PS2, DVD)

SOLDIER

Alright, folks. I've decided to make this thread for PS3 owners to post their findings regarding the new upscaling feature for PS1 games, PS2 games, and even DVD movies. Which games look much better with the new upscaling features? Which ones look worse? Feel free to show your pics, but make sure to also tell us what kind of TV you have. I for one have a Samsung 1080p LCD.

I believe I'll start with FFXII, followed by God of War II and SoTC. In the meantime, I would appreciate if someone tested the following:

1. Final Fantasy XI upscaled on PS3 (especially those who have the PC version, to compare resolutions).

2. Tekken 5 (PS2) compared to Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection (PS3).

3. Odin Sphere.

So let's get testing.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
ill try games like Gran Turismo 4 tomorrow, if someone doesnt beat me too it, ill see what else i have to test on a Samsung 1080i lcd.

SOLDIER

I'm giving it a try, but on PS/PS2 upscaler, there's three choices: Off, Normal, and Fullscreen. It's set to Normal by default, but if I pick fullscreen, my TV says the mode isn't supported (even though it goes up to 1080p). What's fullscreen supposed to do?

Mrbob

Don't have a camera, but FF12 with upscaling and smoothing is :eek :eek :eek on my lcd tv.]

I'm giving it a try, but on PS/PS2 upscaler, there's three choices: Off, Normal, and Fullscreen. It's set to Normal by default, but if I pick fullscreen, my TV says the mode isn't supported (even though it goes up to 1080p). What's fullscreen supposed to do?

I wasn't really sure myself, but when I chose normal it put the game in a small window. Full Screen upscaled the game for me, but kept everything normal aspect ratio.

SOLDIER

I found a way around my problem. First I set the system display to 720p, then I check the upscale option to fullscreen. Then I set the system display back to 1080p.

With that, I'm giving the games a look now.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Im guessing its going to be pretty damn hard to see the upscaling difference unless you have a way to capture screenshots (MEANING: Photos of your TV displaying a game are not gonna show crap)

FF7 is worth a look. I'm not really a videophile but it seems improved to me. It renders in widescreen with my settings and doesn't even look stretched.

Zoe

If anybody finds a DVD that upscales without HDMI, do tell. The wording makes it sound possible.

From the other thread:

image4qg2.jpg

fubarduck

brandonh83 said:
Examples? Specific games?

It buffers up two frames just like before, making any split-second reaction timing situations unplayable. Tested and confirmed with Guitar Hero II and Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike.

SOLDIER

I was going to wait until I was done with my tests, but since you're all so impatient, here's pics of FFXII's beginning part. Upscaling is set to fullscreen with smooth texture ON.

First, here's how the game looked on the PS2, output at regular 480p.

IMG_8797.jpg

Now here it is with the settings I mentioned above, the info button confirming it's at 1080p.

IMG_8966-1.jpg

IMG_8968.jpg

Not sure if the FMVs have improved. They seem smoother to me, but it's been a while.

IMG_8969.jpg

IMG_8971.jpg

IMG_8972.jpg

And this last pic was taken with the smooth option turned OFF.

IMG_8974.jpg

All in all, I don't see any real difference for the moment. I'm going to try God of War II next.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i will test the bhesus out of this tonight - i want to see how Rez looks, i was physically ill at how bad it looks unsmoothed.

This news also means i have to go and get a load of games that i have the US versions of so i can upscale them (SotC JUMPS to mind)

This update rocks!
I just tried Rockstar's BULLY and it looks GREAT with this update and smoothing turned on. I'm using a 26" Sharp Aquos LCD.

Did a double take from no scaling/scaling with Yakuza and Soul Calibur 3 (playing right now)

Yakuza was a jagged mess prior to the update, and the text was ultra low-res PS1 game crap. All cleaned up here.

Also Soul Calibur 3 actually fits my TV now, the bottom would be slightly cut off. SC3 already had pretty clean IQ for a PS2 game, it's even better now.

Dali

SOLDIER said:
Comparison.

Holdin' out on us!
J/K.

Thanks for posting shots for us impatient ones. That looks awesome. Have you noticed much lag with the scaling going on?

Souther

Banned
I tried GOW 2 and Valkyrie Profile 2...Both games still DO NOT fill out the screen regardless if they are in 720P or 1080i... Still black bars on each side...I even have the Full Screen option chosen. This was one of my Pet Peeves about PS2 games..

Plus i see no difference at all between 480P and 1080i with VP2..

Sharp Aquos 26"

What the hell??

Souther said:
I tried GOW 2 and Valkyrie Profile 2...Both games still DO NOT fill out the screen regardless if they are in 720P or 1080i... Still black bars on each side...I even have the Full Screen option chosen.

Plus i see no difference at all between 480P and 1080i with VP2..

Sharp Aquos 26"

What the hell??

26" is probably going to be too small to notice a difference for scaling/smoothing on these kinds of games. This update is best for people with large HDTVs. Does your Aquos have a force 16x9 option? Because that might be the only way for your to stretch these old games to that aspect ratio.

jjasper

careksims said:
I can say WOW at GoW 2. I turned the progressive scan off and it all smoothed out. Lookes great

If you have progressive scan on in GoW 2 it runs in 480p

Is this the same for all games?

teiresias

Just stuck in Shadow of the Colossus and it looks very clean and nice - much nicer than trying to play in 16:9 with progressive scan turned on. Looks very smooth, with barely any jaggies to speak of AT ALL.

How I had it set up was the scaling set to "Normal" (instead of fullscreen) and then I set the game to 16:9 and set my projector to "Horizontal Fit." Also had texture smoothing turned on, but didn't really go anywhere to see if I noticed a huge difference in that - not sure SoTC is a game you'd really notice that in anyway. I'm going to set the scaling to Fullscreen next and see how I need to set my projector to get a proper 16:9 image out of it, as the whole "normal" and "fullscreen" setting and how it relates to my projector's stretching settings is a little confusing at the moment.

Definitely much more impressed with the upscaled results than I thought I would be though.

I don't see why anyone expects their PS2 games to completely fill their fixed panel displays, mine never have, whether i played them on the ps2 or the ps3. It's never really bothered me, there was always a slight black border around everything, mainly because I prefer to keep my projector with overscan off I suppose. It's never been a dealbreaker for me.

teiresias

jjasper said:
If you have progressive scan on in GoW 2 it runs in 480p

Is this the same for all games?

Yes, if you enable progressive scan the scaler is disabled. Kind of a bummer I guess, but the upscaled results are pretty damn impressive to my eyes at this point and, at least in the case of SoTC as I said above, are much better than I was getting with the 480p mode of the game anyway.

Just tried Crash Bandicoot (bought from the PSN store) and it looks a whole hell of a ton better. In this case I leave the scaler at "normal" because "fullscreen" stretches it to fill my widescreen which squishes everything.

Top Bottom