• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PS3 Upscaling Thread (PS1, PS2, DVD)

Proc

Is it normal to get two tiny black bars on both sides of the picture in upscale mode? I'm using a 26" 1080i sammy lcd. I thought upscaling would fill the entire picture...my TV can't stretch the image either and currently sits in its 16x9 mode, which could turn into 4:3.

Banned
Pachinko said:
Everyone tries ff12 but here's another, it seems the ps3 forces 4:3 output over hdmi with the scaler , a compramise was made here, I just set the game back to normal. I tried setting my tv to wide zoom becuase it wouldn't let me pick wide for some reason. even with the game back in 16:9 mode it looked not so good. It's most definetly smoother looking then before overall though, I like it.
FFXII doesn't support proper widescreen anyway, it just chops the top and bottom off the picture and stretches that fullscreen. You should be running it in 4:3. (same applies to the original God of War, and possibly the sequel as well)

The upscaling has two options - normal or fullscreen. It sounds like most people probably want the latter.

Pachinko

Alot of ps2 games allow for overscan so they'll never completly fill a widescreen tv. So to answer your question, yeah that is normal.

Proc said:
Is it normal to get two tiny black bars on both sides of the picture in upscale mode? I'm using a 26" 1080i sammy lcd. I thought upscaling would fill the entire picture...my TV can't stretch the image either and currently sits in its 16x9 mode, which could turn into 4:3.

That happened to me just now with GoWII. Go into Game Settings in your PS3 menu and change the Upscale option to "Full Screen."

Bebpo

Banned
Like I thought. Using a CRT (aka, non-fixed pixel display) shows no difference between upscale/non-upscale. The big thing that makes games (especially PS1 titles) look much better is the smoothing. Well and the fact that it doesn't have to de-interlace to 480p since I use 1080i so you don't get interlace problems.

fma001.jpg

fma002.jpg

1st is 480p on a CRT
2nd is 1080i on a CRT

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Hmmm, not sure which mode I like better; Smoothing or normal. 2D games seem to not benefit from it, while 3D ones too. Seems natural. DVDs look awesome, especially anime now. :D

Dez

Do most TVs allow you to change the aspect ratio while in HD modes? I didn't think they do.. so that means widescreen games are going to have black bars on the side with an image that is meant to be horizontally stretched in a 4:3 windowbox.

EDIT: oh wait, NM there's a fullscreen mode for the scaler.

Wow some of these look really nice....OMG I think this means i might finally be able to play driver 2 without my eyes burning. oh yeah.

Bebpo

Banned
I tried Valkyrie Profile 2 since it's the most jaggy game in exsitence.

At 1080i w/smoothing on...it's still a jaggy mess :p

Souther

Banned
Proc said:

Yes this was a pet peeve of mine aswell..

But it seems that when your using a fixed pixel display(LCD in our case) NO PS2 game is going to completely fill the screen. you will always have black bars whether or not you use 1080i or 720P or 480P with a widescreen option from the game.

I just choose "fullscreen" regardless if the game supports 16x9 or not...I seriously do not want to have to keep choosing resolution setiings in the game menu on the XMB everytime i play a game. its friggin annoying...

Plus doesnt it just totally defeat the purpose of upscaling in the 1st place...

Proc

andrewfee said:
FFXII doesn't support proper widescreen anyway, it just chops the top and bottom off the picture and stretches that fullscreen. You should be running it in 4:3. (same applies to the original God of War, and possibly the sequel as well)

The upscaling has two options - normal or fullscreen. It sounds like most people probably want the latter.

Do you know any pretty ps2 games that do support proper wide screen?

Souther

Banned
Bebpo said:
I tried Valkyrie Profile 2 since it's the most jaggy game in exsitence.

At 1080i w/smoothing on...it's still a jaggy mess :p

lol yeah this was the 1st game i tried and i bitched about it...

Silent hill 2 looks pretty damn nice though...So does VF4 Evo

Can somebody try Valkyrie Profile PS1 and post some pics...

I Also tried FF9 and that did not look that great.

Proc

Souther said:
I just choose "fullscreen" regardless if the game supports 16x9 or not...I seriously do not want to have to keep choosing resolution setiings in the game menu on the XMB everytime i play a game. its friggin annoying...

Plus doesnt it just totally defeat the purpose of upscaling in the 1st place...

Ya, I'm going to be doing just that, and choosing 4:3 on my TV settings if the game looks too stretched for my liking.

Greg

480p, no smoothing
100.jpg

1080i & smoothing
101.jpg

The character model is so much smoother...

By the way, I don't have any PS2 games to mess around with since they are all upstairs and I'd rather not disturb the peace, but I did find a demo if anyone would like to make a request. It has: Sly 3, Ratchet: Deadlocked, Jak X, MK: Shaolin Monks, Pac-Man World 3, Castlevania: CoD, and Confilct Global Terror.

SOLDIER

Alright, my last two games and I'm calling it a night.

Kingdom Hearts II:

IMG_8996.jpg

IMG_9001.jpg

IMG_9002.jpg

IMG_9003.jpg

IMG_9004.jpg

IMG_9005.jpg

Silent Hill 3 (HOT!):

IMG_9007.jpg

IMG_9009.jpg

IMG_9012.jpg

IMG_9015.jpg
(by popular demand)

IMG_9017.jpg

IMG_9019.jpg

IMG_9021.jpg

So in short, the scaling has made games smoother, but not as sharp as I had hoped. I'd been spoiled by playing FFXI on PC after all. Perhaps I'm just tired, or it's a mixed bag. SoTC and SH3 are definetely better looking.

Greg

tribal24 said:
soul calibur in action! please
It's only a demo that I'm working with, so I couldn't exactly pick a level with some better geometry - if you view the pictures in a slideshow, the clothes get noticeably cleaned up a bit, but it looks MUCH better in motion than it does in still comparisons. Take note again that I'm working with 1080i as well.
200.jpg

201.jpg

tribal24

Banned
Greg said:
It's only a demo that I'm working with, so I couldn't exactly pick a level with some better geometry - if you view the pictures in a slideshow, the clothes get noticeably cleaned up a bit, but it looks MUCH better in motion than it does in still comparisons. Take note again that I'm working with 1080i as well.
200.jpg

201.jpg

not bad that looks great

My Sega Virtua Stick High Grade does NOT work with PS2 games. Before it WAS WORKING.
Now my Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 joystick works with PS2 games. Before it WAS NOT WORKING.

the roles have swtiched between the VSHG and the HRAP3 :lol

also my tv (Pioneer 5070) is now displaying 1080p. The tv's native resolution is 720p, but can accept a 1080p @24hz signal. Theoretically it's downscaling to the panels native resolution...methinks

Bebpo

Banned
Sho Nuff said:
And I wanna see how lowres 2D games look too!

SF3 3S looks about the same. I expected a blurry mess but it wasn't really noticable different. Maybe 'slightly' less pixely than with out it.

Greg

Well, my battery on my camera just died, and it's 2:30 in the morning...:lol
Sorry I couldn't take any more pictures, but it looks like I'm off to bed for tonight - later GAF.

rc213

Someone get a rundown of all the new DVD/PS1/PS2/Blu-Ray video options what to set them to for best results.

Playing FFXII with smoothing and flicker filter on makes it too blurry for my taste. I'll try it without smoothing next time, because flicker filter is a must have on my TV.

I tried Odin Sphere too, with smoothing. It looked great. It's too bad it doesn't use 16:9 though. I can't play it in forced widescreen with the characters looking all squashed. That's nasty.

So widescreen games:
FFXII
RE4
SOTC
GTA san andreas
GOW 2

anything else?

Chrono

Banned
fubarduck said:
It buffers up two frames just like before, making any split-second reaction timing situations unplayable. Tested and confirmed with Guitar Hero II and Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike.

huh, I recently played Gitaroo Man and DMC3 through HDMI on my PS3... Now I know I wasn't crazy when thinking Dante could jump sooner when I press x... still had fun with both games and didn't really think about this until I saw your post. Now that I know about this it's goig to be annoying thinking about it when playing PS2 games on PS3. I would like to UN-READ THAT. :p

manzo

Sho Nuff said:
ICO runs at 320x240, I REALLY wanna see how that looks

And I wanna see how lowres 2D games look too!

Nope, ICO runs at an effective 640x240, thus the scanlines.

andrewfee said:
FFXII doesn't support proper widescreen anyway, it just chops the top and bottom off the picture and stretches that fullscreen. You should be running it in 4:3. (same applies to the original God of War, and possibly the sequel as well).
GoWI game was cropped, some movies were re-framed. GoWII was entirely re-framed for widescreen, except for some movies in the European release.

SOLDIER

I decided to give some DVD movies a try. Needless to say, I won't be needing my Samsung DVD player anymore. Very nice stuff.

IMG_9022.jpg

IMG_9024.jpg

IMG_9025.jpg

IMG_9026.jpg

IMG_9028.jpg

IMG_9031.jpg

IMG_9032.jpg

IMG_9033.jpg

IMG_9034.jpg

IMG_9036.jpg

IMG_9038.jpg

IMG_9039.jpg

Sho Nuff

Banned
Chrono said:
huh, I recently played Gitaroo Man and DMC3 through HDMI on my PS3... Now I know I wasn't crazy when thinking Dante could jump sooner when I press x... still had fun with both games and didn't really think about this until I saw your post. Now that I know about this it's goig to be annoying thinking about it when playing PS2 games on PS3. I would like to UN-READ THAT. :p

Oh shit, it buffers two frames? Is that fields (1/59.97) or frames (1/29.97)?

Sho Nuff said:
Oh shit, it buffers two frames? Is that fields (1/59.97) or frames (1/29.97)?

I don't have Guitar Hero 2 for PS2 any more, but if I did, it would be very interesting to use it to test the lag differences on the PS3 between 480i/480p/upscaling/no-upscaling/smoothing/no-smoothing.

Just because the it has gameplay issues on the PS3 doesn't mean that the lag test can't be done...

Can anybody do this?

Kinan

Greg said:
What in the...I never knew I had this game for PS1 - DOOM! :lol
The camera work isn't the greatest, but unscaled/no smoothing vs. scaled & smoothing
doom_minuscalesmooth.png
doom_scalesmooth.png

Uhm, what game it is?

Top Bottom