• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

I wish they'd hurry up with Smash 4 Switch. I put my Wii U away awhile ago, but I still want to play Smash.

Got my Corrin amiibo yesterday. Female (obviously). First amiibo I can remember with a twisty tie in it (to hold her sword). Feels weird to no longer have any Smash amiibo to look forward to. She was the last character I wanted.

Tom_Cody

We know it's coming eventually but we have no idea when they would announce the game so it might be E3 2018 since they usually announce Smash at E3. They could change their patterns if they feel like to.

Also few people actually think we are going to get Smash announcement at Nintendo World 2017 which is a plausible place for Smash Bros announcement. We'll see..
That seems possible actually. With Arms and Splatoon 2, it's possible they just didn't want to flood the market with multiplayer games over the summer.

What are the chances that we get Smash 4 on Switch at this point? I am in the mood to get back into Smash but I would prefer to wait for the Switch version if it's actually likely to come out.

I thought it was a given earlier this year after the success of Mario Kart 8, but I haven't heard anything about it since then.
Smash 4 on Switch: no chance

Some form of Smash: wait until something gets announced

There, I just saved you months of waiting.

There's certainly a good chance Smash 4 hits on the Switch.

Wii U ports are going to continue for years.

Just because it's not out RIGHT NOW or even announced doesn't mean anything. Pokken's port wasn't announced until a couple months before release.

NeonZ

What are the chances that we get Smash 4 on Switch at this point? I am in the mood to get back into Smash but I would prefer to wait for the Switch version if it's actually likely to come out.

I thought it was a given earlier this year after the success of Mario Kart 8, but I haven't heard anything about it since then.

I think taking so long to come out pretty much means it'll be a new game. Even if it builds up on Smash 4 for movesets, rather than revamping the gameplay, I doubt they'd take this long to announce some enhanced port.

Honestly at this point I have a hard time getting excited for an enhanced port of Smash 4. I'd much rather see a proper new Smash at this point. A lot has happened in the Nintendo world since 2014, Smash 4 feels like really old news at this point.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Also, unlike a lot of Wii U games that have the usual excuse given of "well not many people played it so it'll be new to them", Smash 4 was played by many… on the 3DS.

Sure, for those people it'll be a prettier version, but it won't beat the excitement of brand new Smash.

PK Gaming

I'm nowhere near ready to move on from Smash 4. I mean consider the following:

• Smash 4's balance is decent but far from ideal. With some more tweaking and more backing from Nintendo, I think the competitive scene could take off in a big way.
  • So you don't give a shit about competitive play. Fine, but the gigantic roster would simply go to waste if they moved on from Smash 4. Lots of cuts would likely happen in the sequel.
  • I think they would get a lot out of simply adding new game modes. Smash Run, maybe even the return of Adventure Mode would be a big deal.
  • Seriously who gives a shit about King K Rool.
  • Add 2B and Joker.
  • The amount of development time needed to make Smash 5 live up to 4 would be quite substancial. Wouldn't want to end up with a half-assed sequel!

FSLink

Banned
There's certainly a good chance Smash 4 hits on the Switch.

Wii U ports are going to continue for years.

Just because it's not out RIGHT NOW or even announced doesn't mean anything. Pokken's port wasn't announced until a couple months before release.

Yeah, I also think Nintendo didn't expect the Switch to be such a huge hit. I mean Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was basically a stop-gap game and it broke records despite being a Wii U port.
They don't need Smash to get amazing sales (plus they want to be able to sell their new franchises). It's best to save it for later even if I really really want Smash Switch asap.

The interesting thing is that, people keep saying "well what if Sakurai's working on Smash 5 now?", and I'll say, "what if he's working on something that isn't Smash related?".

Remember kiddos, Sakurai isn't all Smash Bros. In between Melee and Brawl, he worked on Nightmare in Dreamland, Air Ride and Meteos, and of course between Brawl and Smash 4 he worked on Kid Icarus Uprising. Considering Sakurai has basically worked on Smash from like 2012-2016, you'd think he'd be wanting to take a break from the series and spread his creative wings again.

Sakurai kinda teased his project he's working on with this mech figure.

http://nintendoeverything.com/masahiro-sakurai-bought-a-vifam-figure-as-a-reference-for-his-work/

IM9TOvD.jpg

As mentioned in the article above, it's not the mech that's worth noting, it's the rifle that Sakurai was using for his work. I guess it could pertain to Smash, as reference for a projectile based character like Inkling, but I honestly think it's an different project that's related to shooting...

Kid Icarus Uprising sequel plz

Regiruler

If Mr. Game & Watch doesn't get a new grab from Bird:

screen3.png

God is dead.

The converted Pyoro deserves to be legitimized as a true Game & Watch title.

Zubz

Banned
I agree with both of these points and consider this a sound and well-made argument.

I disagree with both of those points, & you're probably going to get the opposite (No offense to 2B & Joker; they look cool but are hella unlikely, even for a series that got Snake, Cloud, & Bayo. Also, how dare you 2 insult King K. Rool)

K.Rool was only decent in 1 game

I had to word this very specifically because I didn't want to make it seem like I was shitting on the SNES DKC trilogy

If Mr. Game & Watch doesn't get a new grab from Bird:

screen3.png

God is dead.

The converted Pyoro deserves to be legitimized as a true Game & Watch title.

A Pyoro stage would be pretty cool. Just have Pyoro in the background shooting some of the plants that fall down, but he doesn't hit all of them, and some of the floor that the fighters are on disappear. Eventually Pyoro will hit the glowing bean to make the floor come back in again.

Richie

Random, but who else would love Playlists feature added to MyMusic? Why limit yourself to a single song during a whole match with such a tremendous soundtrack? Allow for the whole MyMusic list of each stage to be played in the battle!

They should at least do it by series. Like there's little reason Yoshi Story 64 is on Yoshi's Island and not Woolly World, and yet it's stuck there, alone, with a bunch of Super Mario World music, while the rest of the Yoshi Story music lives on another stage. I should be able to pick.

This is especially noticeable between the various Zelda stages where there isn't really any real rhyme or reason to most songs being on specific stages.

The only song placements that bother me are Yoshi's Island 64 being on Yoshi's Island (Melee) and the Mario RPG songs being on Woolly World.

DLC music limits kind of messed up Hyrule Castle. It's missing all the Ocarina of Time remixes. Instead, it gets 14 versions of the same song.

Later DLC "fixed" this, but they never went back to add more songs to the older DLC stages.

Alas, after roughly five years, Miiverse is not much longer for this world. And hot damn, Smash 4's getting gutted:

https://gonintendo.com/stories/2887...-details-the-end-of-miiverse-in-more-specific

- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Wii U, Nintendo 3DS): The Miiverse stage will still be playable, but Miiverse user posts will not display in the background. Players will also be unable to post replays to YouTube/Miiverse, share stages or create tournaments.

If y'all have any replays left to upload on YT, you better do it now.

I still play Smash 4 quite regularly, so I'd still be up for a Director's Cut port on Switch.

Random, but who else would love Playlists feature added to MyMusic? Why limit yourself to a single song during a whole match with such a tremendous soundtrack? Allow for the whole MyMusic list of each stage to be played in the battle!

I just want a custom song list you can upload. I get looping songs would be a problem, but the Wii U mods are hard for me to work with and I'd rather have a built-in feature even if it means they just fade out.

The only song placements that bother me are Yoshi's Island 64 being on Yoshi's Island (Melee) and the Mario RPG songs being on Woolly World.

Former bothers me, latter I don't especially mind but can understand. At least The Grand Finale works quite well on Mario Galaxy.

There are a couple others I can think of but DLC actually solved most of those via Pirate Ship and Mario Maker. Now it's just some stuff in the DK/Pokemon stages.

Alas, after roughly five years, Miiverse is not much longer for this world. And hot damn, Smash 4's getting gutted:

https://gonintendo.com/stories/2887...-details-the-end-of-miiverse-in-more-specific

If y'all have any replays left to upload on YT, you better do it now.

Miiverse was a huge reason why Smash 4 was my favorite pre-release phase for any Smash game. If you have an hour or two to waste, this is why.

I just don't want to lose the messages for the stage. Is it too much too ask, Nintendo?!?

So, does anyone else follow RelaxAlax's "Know Your Moves" series? He just did a vid on Duck Hunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twRr0390Nzc

He says something at the end that I always felt about the character: for something that's supposed to consist of a trio, the duck, the dog and zapper, it doesn't do a great job at emphasizing of the zapper component of the moveset.

The Trick Shot and Clay Shooting specials are cool and represent the mechanics of their respective games well, relying on timing and accuracy, but the only other time the zapper is utilized in DH's movepool is through all the smash attacks, which would of been fine if, you know, they weren't completely god awful and inaccurate all the time. I like his idea for their smash attacks to sort of function like Link's, where first the duck lunges out at the enemy, then in the second part the reticle aims at the duck, and with correct timing, would hit the duck resulting in a more powerful smash attack.

Another idea I've always had is maybe for their Up B, Duck Jump, to have the ability to be canceled out of by pressing the B button again during its duration, which causes the reticle to appear and attempt to shoot at the duck which makes it and the dog fall down. This could also function as an attack, hitting anyone right by.

Jawmuncher

I won't be surprised to see Travis Touchdown in the next smash. So Sakurai can go "look I added a indie character just like you all wanted"

NeonZ

I hope that in future Smash games Link's default costume is the Champion's Tunic from BotW.

It looks so much cooler.

I still think the actual reason Skyward Sword's designs were ignored by Smash were the game's low sales, especially in Japan. I'm pretty sure the same won't happen to Breath of the Wild.

If I were running the show I'd have his default look be the Tunic of the Wild set, with the Champion's Shirt as an alt. The Zelda characters are desperately in need of an update in Smash and I think that's a good way to do it without relegating Link's traditional design to back up.

Golnei

If I were running the show I'd have his default look be the Tunic of the Wild set, with the Champion's Shirt as an alt. The Zelda characters are desperately in need of an update in Smash and I think that's a good way to do it without relegating Link's traditional design to back up.

I think keeping the BoTW designs as alts would still be the neater choice - it doesn't quite work to unify the cast when it'd mean Zelda getting her dress for continuity's sake, and could also cause issues with Ganondorf. Keeping the TP designs as their default and making the Champion's Tunic and Adventuring Gear costumes for Link and Zelda respectively would allow their more prominent BoTW looks to be included while also keeping the Zelda trio's default appearances consistent.

Top Bottom