• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's Beam.pro being renamed Mixer.com, gets new features

DArJQD3XUAAE_fN.jpg:large

Name sounds a bit weird at first but it will grow on me.

New features are pretty cool. Seeing multiple gameplay streams at once can be pretty neat for esports.

Gestault

I feel like there must have been some other reason for the name change than just marketing. I can't imagine re-branding this early in the product life, especially when the Beam name seems so desirable as a concept match.

I hope they fix the interface and menu-readability on the XB1 app. I consider it basically unusuable, which is a bummer considering the actual streaming quality.

Akai__

Needs a Personalization Setting, where I can disable the Mixer (and the OneGuide) Tab on my Dashboard. Both of these are useless to me, as I will never use my console to watch Streams or TV.

Other than that, these constant improvements are pretty nice. Still don't think that Beam will ever gain momentum, like Twitch did, but competetion is nice.

jediyoshi

I feel like there must have been some other reason for the name change than just marketing. I can't imagine re-branding this early in the product life, especially when the Beam name seems so desirable as a concept match.

I'd think it makes more sense to specifically change it at an early stage before it's done much penetration rather than after and risk wasting the value attached to a commonly recognized name.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Beam was such a better name.

And it's the only thing that lets me stream my XBO games. Twitch will just not work no matter how many times I've followed the FAQs.

Gestault

I'd think it makes more sense to specifically change it at an early stage before it's done much penetration rather than after and risk wasting the value attached to a commonly recognized name.

I guess I'm saying why now and not either before the public launch or as part of the transition out from beta, unless new circumstances around the Beam name came up. You're right that sooner than later would be good, but this is a change after they had started those market penetration efforts (including paid advertising) under the Beam name.

Oh now they have to go and rebrand the Xbox and windows 10 apps. I remember when they had to rename sky drive to one drive. That took a while to update in the xbox one.

Trup1aya

When justin.tv was rebranded (or rather, expanded) into Twitch.tv, that was a good move due to Twitch being a much simpler and catchier name.

How in the hell is Mixer either simpler or catchier than Beam?

I'd have to imagine they changed the name because Beam was harder to trademark. Still I wish they got a better name, but a change seemed inevitable.

Streaming the Xbox E3 media briefing in 4K is a good way to sell people on Scorpio game demos. Very smart move to roll this out before E3.

I guess I'm saying why now and not either before the public launch or as part of the transition out from beta, unless new circumstances around the Beam name came up. You're right that sooner than later would be good, but this is a change after they had started those market penetration efforts (including paid advertising) under the Beam name.

Because Microsoft basically goes into hibernation until E3.

watership

MS doesn't hesitate to re-brand quickly after it's run in with SKY in the UK over the Skydrive name. There must have been some sort of problem with Beam with trademarks or some other corporate ownership of the name. Shame, I like the brand name Beam a lot.

El Sabroso

Co-Streaming is a really cool feature, I hope they offer some usage graphs for 4k content, just to see how much ppl can watch a 4k stream nowadays against ppl locking into lower resolutions

Gowans

Why the name change? This was a tough decision, and not one that we made lightly. But, it was something that we decided on as a team. We believe so much in the power of the platform and want to grow it in every major market around the world. Unfortunately, that wasn’t something we could do with the Beam name. We chose Mixer as our new name because it represents what we love most about the service….how it brings people together.

Looks like the Beam name was off the table for a proper global push, shame.

Zedox

I don't like the name but it will grow on me. I also will miss the logo (which they just rebranded) but I do like the X stuff. The features that they are adding really shows how much of a push Microsoft is putting into Xbox and gaming in a social manner. Smart of them.

E3 might be the time to see how dedicated MS is to Mixer by showing off deeper and more meaningful gameplay integration with their future first party lineup given the examples they've shared of Minecraft and Telltale Games.

Beam was a great name, but it's nice to see them moving onward and upward. Would love to see somebody push twitch and attract some big streamers. Beam/Mixer seems like the obvious place to go for any smaller streamer.

Lothars

It really blows my mind that they renamed it and the renaming is terrible compared to Beam. It sounds like someone really dropped the ball.

Somnia

They had to re-name FYI due to not being able to use the beam name everywhere. No idea on the details for that, but they were limited in global advertising because of the name.

louiedog

They had to re-name FYI due to not being able to use the beam name everywhere. No idea on the details for that, but they were limited in global advertising because of the name.

That was my guess. I'm sure there's a ton of broadcast related stuff out there called Beam already.

jbug617

Banned
They had to drop Beam because they didn't have the rights to the Beam name in other countries.

Why the name change? This was a tough decision, and not one that we made lightly. But, it was something that we decided on as a team. We believe so much in the power of the platform and want to grow it in every major market around the world. Unfortunately, that wasn’t something we could do with the Beam name. We chose Mixer as our new name because it represents what we love most about the service….how it brings people together.

Somnia

They're having a nice influx of viewers this morning. Clearly it's no where near twitch and won't be, probably ever, but it's good that there is competition.

I've been streaming on beam.... well now mixer with a group of friends since middle of Feb. and the community there is amazing. We just hit over 400 followers and are growing at a nice clip. Could we have grown faster on twitch? Maybe? There's a lot more competition there, but we love the features on beam/mixer and the real time chat sold us.

oneils

Looks like they still have some work to do. googling mixer gets me kitchenaid results, but beam gets me to their website. However, the website doesn't seem to work on iOS Safari. Twitch does.

Edit: works now. Kept getting some sort of pop up that wouldn't go away. Had to close tab and revisit a bunch of times.

horkrux

Beam was a good name, but I guess you have to change everything just for the hell of it. Microsoft are terrible with this

ViciousDS

Banned
Mixer/Beam is AMAZING for hosting Jackbox/Drawful games, btw, with the low latency

whats this zero lag latency i keep hearing......my OBS settings must be wrong or something because there was definitely a 10-15 second delay to what happened to what I saw.

Casey Neistat has a video company called Beme which CNN bought. Maybe a contributor to the name change amongst other things.

Mixer is a decent name IMO which will grow on people like all names do. Not sure it's the best choice they could have made though.

Top Bottom