• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's Beam.pro being renamed Mixer.com, gets new features

Gestault

Microsoft's marketing really knows how to talk to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYTy41s543c

4eN2tdV.png

LoveCake

Am i the only one disliking the new name?
Beam was fitting imho.
Mixer is generic as hell

I had not heard of Beam until the Forza Hot Wheels expansion where it was simulcast live on Twitch and Beam and the competition was only available on Beam, I found out that there was a rival to Twitch and YouTube Gaming.

I think that Beam is a better name also.

Is there really space for Mixer though, I watch a couple of streamers on Twitch but that's about it, Twitch is also seemingly trying to diversify its content also.

Does it automatically link with your Xbox Live account (gamertag), or do you have to set up a new account?

gamz

Not gonna lie, I laughed my ass off. May have watched it a few more times.

As did I. Fits into their Ninja Cat thing too. Yeah, the branding is really growing on me. They will market the hell outta it now. Must feel good for the founders to have the backing now.

gamz

I had not heard of Beam until the Forza Hot Wheels expansion where it was simulcast live on Twitch and Beam and the competition was only available on Beam, I found out that there was a rival to Twitch and YouTube Gaming.

Is there really space for Mixer though, I watch a couple of streamers on Twitch but that's about it, Twitch is also seemingly trying to diversify its content also.

Streaming is in it's infancy. Always room for another.

Does it automatically link with your Xbox Live account (gamertag), or do you have to set up a new account?

Go to the website (https://mixer.com/) and sign up using your Microsoft account, it will create a channel using your gamertag. Takes no time at all.

LoveCake

Streaming is in it's infancy. Always room for another.

True, but should we as gamers want a cross platform service, if the only way to view content from Xbox gamers/games is via Mixer then splitting the audience isn't good, ok Microsoft is also looking at the PC, but they are increasingly turning away from anything Microsoft.

Go to the website (https://mixer.com/) and sign up using your Microsoft account, it will create a channel using your gamertag. Takes no time at all.

Thank you, just signed up, making sure nobody steals my tag.

Is their anyone worth viewing/following?

Trup1aya

True, but should we as gamers want a cross platform service, if the only way to view content from Xbox gamers/games is via Mixer then splitting the audience isn't good, ok Microsoft is also looking at the PC, but they are increasingly turning away from anything Microsoft.

Thank you, just signed up, making sure nobody steals my tag.

Is their anyone worth viewing/following?

Mixer isn't the only way to view content from Xbox gamers though....

Finally checked mixer out, and holy shit this thing destroys twitch in every aspect. I hope people move over from twitch cause this is next level.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Finally checked mixer out, and holy shit this thing destroys twitch in every aspect. I hope people move over from twitch cause this is next level.

It's a twitch clone. It will lose because it's not platform agnostic. No one wants to tie their ship to NS except fanboys. Less viewers equals less money.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
It's a twitch clone. It will lose because it's not platform agnostic. No one wants to tie their ship to NS except fanboys. Less viewers equals less money.
Microsoft puts their services on everything now. They are not the same company they were 10 years ago. Of the major players in tech, they seem to be the most platform independent it seems. Im sure they will expand it. Its already on windows, xbox, ios and android. Whats left? Playstation and Nintendo? If they can get the service on those platforms they will.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

No way MS wants to only keep this on Xbox.

Also Mixer is a better name than Beam.

Freiya

4 pages in and i'm sick and tired of reading about name QQ omg some of you are goblins. It's like you just have to find something to bitch about lol.

Reducing it to a clone takes away what it adds to game streaming. The tech is better than twitch and that alone makes it more than a "twitch clone". And for someone trying to get into game streaming, mixer is probably your best bet cause twitch is bloated. Will it over take twitch? No. Will it be a good second option? Hopefully.

leeh

Haha, the hate for MS is too obvious here.

If anything MS actually neglect all their own devices and create better apps for every device which isn't their own.

One very known example, Skype.

Lazaro

This ad bothers me so much, it's Halo Wars 2 in 16:9 on a 21:9 monitor, and then when the camera angle changes it's Halo 5? ......

Halo Wars 2 on PC supports 21:9 but they must have used footage from the Xbox version. EDIT: There's a mouse cursor so it actually is the PC version, lol.

Don't know if this is the right thread but I'm trying to stream using Windows 10 DVR. Is there a way to stream with only the game audio? Because I'm on Discord with my friends and I don't want that to be streamed as well.

Top Bottom